Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Robert Forczyk mentioned in his tank warfare on the eastern front the desastrous state of combined arms warfare practiced by the red army in the early months of Barbarossa. Even as the T-34 could (on paper at least) eat any german tank of the time for breakfast, they died in droves due to lack of artillery-support, acompanying infantry and proper recon and air-cover. later though they learned these lessons the hard way and managed to encircle and destroy large german Formations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

algebra testes posted:

I also remember reading something like the railheads were set up in such a way that they couldn't transport grain around russia during the war so they all starved because the trains were designed to only ship them to market or something, not feed other parts of the country.

Something similar to this did happen. Russia is so big that its economy developed in funny ways--for example, the Russian market for iron and steel was set up to export iron and steel from the iron deposits in the south via the Black Sea... while simultaneously importing it in the north via the Baltic to feed the factories around Petersburg. Why not just ship domestically-produced iron and steel north? Because it was cheaper to buy and sell it all by ship than it was to send it 2,000 km north by rail. Which worked just fine until there was a war on and shipments of British iron and steel through the Baltic dropped by 90%.

(Incidentally, this isn't a problem unique to Russia, it's pretty common in underdeveloped economies with poor infrastructure. I don't remember which year this was, but I learned once that in early 20th-century Turkey it was cheaper to buy grain grown in the United States and shipped across the Atlantic to Turkish ports than it was to buy grain produced in the Anatolian interior, because of economies of scale and inefficient infrastructure networks)

What else? Russia's industrial capacity developed very heavily around its major cities, Petersburg and Moscow, mostly for political reasons, but this meant they were very far away from the resources the factories needed, like the iron deposits in the Ural Mountains. Which was fine for small-scale peacetime production, but meant it was very difficult to ramp up production in wartime without severely overusing railways to ship the resources all the way to the capitals. Russia's production problems also meant that it ended up buying a lot of war materiel from other countries, but that materiel then still had to make it to the front somehow. One of the most typical places for it to arrive, especially because they bought a lot of stuff from Japan and America, was Vladivostok, where it then had to be shipped across the entire trans-Siberian railway to reach the front, which required an investment of a lot of trains for a lot of time for every new shipment. So a lot of supplies just sat and rotted in Vladivostok because there were no trains to carry them.

There were smaller problems too, like Russia's different rail gauge meaning that if the Russians ever advanced past their own borders, their trains couldn't accompany them and they had to rely on other forms of transportation or on captured rolling stock that fit the standard European rail gauge. This also meant they couldn't send captured rolling stock back to ease the burden on their own rail system.

At its core, Russia's WWI production and transportation problems were a lack of domestic industry (which meant importing a lot of supplies) and a lack of trains to cover the vast distances involved in getting resources from extraction to industry and getting supplies from industry or ports to the front, while also saving enough train cars to keep the home front supplied with goods and food. There just weren't enough trains to go around, considering the enormous distances they had to cover, and so Russia ended up with an undersupplied army and an underfed population.

The Soviets did their best to ameliorate these problems in WW2 though. If you watch Parshall's video on tank production he talks about how the Soviets heavily invested in vertical integration, putting tank plants right on top of resource deposits and making as much of the tank in one place as possible, to minimize the load on their railroads, rather than specializing in parts that have to be shipped around and assembled somewhere else. And of course they had lend-lease which helped infrastructural problems like these, in a way that the Russian Empire didn't have in WWI.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Something similar to this did happen. Russia is so big that its economy developed in funny ways--for example, the Russian market for iron and steel was set up to export iron and steel from the iron deposits in the south via the Black Sea... while simultaneously importing it in the north via the Baltic to feed the factories around Petersburg. Why not just ship domestically-produced iron and steel north? Because it was cheaper to buy and sell it all by ship than it was to send it 2,000 km north by rail. Which worked just fine until there was a war on and shipments of British iron and steel through the Baltic dropped by 90%.

(Incidentally, this isn't a problem unique to Russia, it's pretty common in underdeveloped economies with poor infrastructure. I don't remember which year this was, but I learned once that in early 20th-century Turkey it was cheaper to buy grain grown in the United States and shipped across the Atlantic to Turkish ports than it was to buy grain produced in the Anatolian interior, because of economies of scale and inefficient infrastructure networks)

If I'm not mistaken, the Confederacy had a similar problem - most of their railroads went from north-to-south to carry goods from the exterior to the coast, which meant that there were a few key points where you could bisect the country (which was exactly what the Union did).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lakedaimon posted:

talks about how several thousand British troops sent to the continent were there as rear-echelon laborers and many had no weapons or serious training. And I think this was largely political, to give the appearance of a larger and more formidable commitment.

what? every army in the field deploys a bunch of non-combat support staff to lay wire and comms and build static defenses and supply depots and move poo poo around. this is 100% normal.

one of the huge and underrated lend lease contributions were American petrochemical products, especially octane boosters, that allowed VVS fighters to perform much better.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the Confederacy had a similar problem - most of their railroads went from north-to-south to carry goods from the exterior to the coast, which meant that there were a few key points where you could bisect the country (which was exactly what the Union did).

This was an almost inherent feature of the slave holding confederacy who fought tooth and nail against internal improvements and wanted the entire world to end at the dock where they loaded their cotton.

They did like the navy though because they were scared shitless by Haiti and the free black British Caribbean, which came back to bite them when the navy they voted for turned around and anaconda’d them

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 17, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the Confederate constitution was pretty much identical to the American constitution with two notable exceptions:
1. it was ragingly, aggressively committed to the slavery of black people
2. it forbid the Confederate federal government from performing internal infrastructure improvements

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ban all this like warcrimes chat imo

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Before we ban all this like warcrimes chat, I had one question about Russian rail gauge: did they ever get that poo poo sorted and adopt the Euro standard, or is it still different? Also, was it a feature or a bug that the rail gauges didn't match up?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mercenarynuker posted:

Before we ban all this like warcrimes chat, I had one question about Russian rail gauge: did they ever get that poo poo sorted and adopt the Euro standard, or is it still different? Also, was it a feature or a bug that the rail gauges didn't match up?

Feature

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

Still the same, if you take a train into Russia you have to stop and change trains to get on ones running on the Russian gauge.

It was a feature to make it harder for other countries to invade Russia, that also ironically made it harder for Russia to invade other countries.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mercenarynuker posted:

a quick google suggests that it's a widely-held belief that the different gauge was deliberate, in order to prevent the tracks from being used by invaders of Russia, but apparently that view has been challenged, and others are saying that it was merely a coincidence that the first railways built in Russia were influenced by Americans who used a different gauge.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
The train gauge is hardly a problem these days, trains simply can adapt.

When you take a train from Moscow to Paris, or from Madrid* to Paris you don't need to change trains at the border.

*Yes, Spanish gauge is different too. Same as Russia.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They literally just lift the carriages off the bogies and slide ones for the other gauge underneath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQK_qru6qvs

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what? every army in the field deploys a bunch of non-combat support staff to lay wire and comms and build static defenses and supply depots and move poo poo around. this is 100% normal.

Sure, but when you only have 10 infantry divisions in the field, and there are 3 more there incapable of fighting, it speaks to how totally unprepared the British were as well. A 30% increase in combat effectives could have put far more pressure on the Germans in the low countries.

A formation that has their equipment and can actually shoot straight can also dig ditches and build roads. Not to mention more of the work could have been done in 1939, when the British first started sending over troops

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Lord Koth posted:

Isn't this the school of thought that sprung up among contrarian historians in the latter half of the cold war, that has since been debunked once we got access to the actual records when the Soviet Union collapsed? Not that the initial school of thought that the Soviets only won due to Lend-Lease was particularly accurate either, but there were multiple areas, well before Stalingrad, where Lend-Lease supplies proved incredibly vital to their successes. For the US shipments, while the actual shipped weapons weren't incredibly vital (even before they started getting rerouted due to US entry into the war), the logistical benefit of the enormous number of trucks and supplies shipped was huge.

Also, and somewhat generally ignored, the British shipped a large chunk of actual fighting vehicles themselves, and looks into the records have shown that a rather large chunk of the tanks the Soviets used in the battle before Moscow were British ones (like, 30-40% of medium/heavy tanks large). The Hurricanes shipped over were rather well-liked as well, though the Spits didn't really fit too well into Soviet doctrine.

None of this is to say the Soviets didn't do an enormous amount themselves, and would have eventually won regardless, but Allied war material shipped to them was still of enormous importance, and was so well before Stalingrad.

I dunno, I just saw a battlefront forums post years ago where the guy did the math showing the percent of lend lease the soviets had received by stalingrad was so small compared to their own production as to be insignificant and that it really started ramping up in time for their 43 offensive. That could be wrong but I've found it hard to find evidence since then to prove that point one way or the other.

As for saying "they proved vital to success" that is something almost impossible to prove for a specific instance because if a unit was supplied with hurricanes they might not have won because of the hurricane but because they were just in the right place at the right time. Due to logistics you are always going to put all the allied stuff in a few units.

Or with your example for the battle of moscow, the number is 25% but they were only 6% of total tanks, and proving that matildas and valentines were critical in the defense and counterattack and that the soviets just couldnt have shuffled around some more of their light tank battalions to get the same effect is going to be extremely hard to prove. It isn't as if the matilda or valentine were so superior they were giving the germans trouble anywhere in 40-41. I'm not saying your wrong, I would just like to see some compelling evidence. Them being only 6% (this is from wikipedia) to me points to their relative insignificance.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Eleven billion dollars is a lot of money

There is no "right time, right place" for a unit that doesn't have hurricanes and therefore does not exist.

Half a million trucks does a lot for moving men and materiel.

Your quote on 25% of tanks and 6% total, etc, is wrong

"By the end of 1941, early shipments of Matilda, Valentine and Tetrarch tanks represented only 6.5% of total Soviet tank production but over 25% of medium and heavy tanks produced for the Red Army.[48][49] The British tanks first saw action with the 138 Independent Tank Battalion in the Volga Reservoir on 20 November 1941.[50] Lend-Lease tanks constituted 30 to 40 percent of heavy and medium tank strength before Moscow at the beginning of December 1941"

We'll split the difference and say 35%.

That's a lot.

Probably didn't change anything though because reasons :shrug:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dtkozl posted:

I dunno, I just saw a battlefront forums post years ago where the guy did the math showing the percent of lend lease the soviets had received by stalingrad was so small compared to their own production as to be insignificant and that it really started ramping up in time for their 43 offensive. That could be wrong but I've found it hard to find evidence since then to prove that point one way or the other.

As for saying "they proved vital to success" that is something almost impossible to prove for a specific instance because if a unit was supplied with hurricanes they might not have won because of the hurricane but because they were just in the right place at the right time. Due to logistics you are always going to put all the allied stuff in a few units.

Or with your example for the battle of moscow, the number is 25% but they were only 6% of total tanks, and proving that matildas and valentines were critical in the defense and counterattack and that the soviets just couldnt have shuffled around some more of their light tank battalions to get the same effect is going to be extremely hard to prove. It isn't as if the matilda or valentine were so superior they were giving the germans trouble anywhere in 40-41. I'm not saying your wrong, I would just like to see some compelling evidence. Them being only 6% (this is from wikipedia) to me points to their relative insignificance.

The, "they were vital to the success achieved" was in direct relation to the trucks and supplies that gave the Soviets a huge logistical advantage. Not in relation to shipments of a plane I was actually mixing up with another. Hell, even the plane I was actually referring to, which the Soviets loved (the P-39) wasn't critical or anything - just extremely useful.

Also, glancing at that same wiki article you are being hugely disingenuous, in multiple senses. Production capacity in no way equals "can get them where we need them in X amount of time," and was also in reference to the entire Soviet Union, not what was near Moscow. Tanks being produced behind the Urals, for instance, were going to be completely useless for that battle, no matter how many were produced. Also, the 6% was in relation to total tanks, but the 25% was in relation to total medium/heavy tanks - aka, T-34 and KV production.

Or, to quote the actual article it's initially from, and not wikipedia (it's Alexander Hill from a 2006 MilHis journal):

quote:

"By the end of 1941, out of 750 promised
tanks, Britain had delivered 466, of which 259 were Valentines and 187
Matildas, the remainder apparently Tetrarch. Of these, 216 Valentines
and 145 Matildas had been supplied to the Red Army. With total Red
Army tank stocks, as of 31 December, consequently being in the region
of 7,700 according to Krivosheev (or 6,347 on 1 December according to
Suprun), of which only 1,400 were medium or heavy models, then
British deliveries to date represented in the region of only 6.5 percent of
total Red Army tank strength, but over 33 percent of medium and heavy
tanks, with British vehicles actually in Red Army hands representing
about 25 percent of medium and heavy tanks in service."

And yeah, given Matildas in particularly were ludicrously hard for the Germans to destroy (roughly as tough frontally as KVs), yeah I'd say they were probably somewhat useful for holding points.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

A formation that has their equipment and can actually shoot straight can also dig ditches and build roads. Not to mention more of the work could have been done in 1939, when the British first started sending over troops

people who are trained to dig ditches and build roads aren't usually people who are supposed to be at the pointy end of the stick. this isn't a loving roman legion we are talking about. Plus even three additional divisions isn't going to change the outcome of the Battle of France.

gradenko_2000 posted:

a quick google suggests that it's a widely-held belief that the different gauge was deliberate, in order to prevent the tracks from being used by invaders of Russia, but apparently that view has been challenged, and others are saying that it was merely a coincidence that the first railways built in Russia were influenced by Americans who used a different gauge.

hell different railroads in the same geography used different gauges (hello, CSA). i think it's more of an accident than a deliberate strategy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hell different railroads in the same geography used different gauges (hello, CSA). i think it's more of an accident than a deliberate strategy.

In the case of the CSA, this was (IIRC) a result of "we have a bunch of different railroad companies, each of which wants to make their track incompatible with their competitors in order to force said competitors out of business."

One of the few strengths of the Soviet system is that this sort of thing rarely happened in a given field, unless Moscow decided that they wanted this thing to.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Aw, I saw the number of replies and thought there was another big fleet action, instead I got logistics chat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Saint Celestine posted:

Aw, I saw the number of replies and thought there was another big fleet action, instead I got logistics chat.

Woooo! Spring Logistics Break! Woooo!

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

"Wow, their tanks kicked my rear end. Well they probably won't have them on the next map."

- Repeat 30x.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Saint Celestine posted:

Logistics > Battles.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Saint Celestine posted:

Expecting big battles and getting tons of logistics is kinda how WITP works. :v:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Gnoman posted:

In the case of the CSA, this was (IIRC) a result of "we have a bunch of different railroad companies, each of which wants to make their track incompatible with their competitors in order to force said competitors out of business."

One of the few strengths of the Soviet system is that this sort of thing rarely happened in a given field, unless Moscow decided that they wanted this thing to.

did the soviets change the rail gauge when they took power or was it leftover from the tsarists? i would assume the latter because that was generally the case.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The rail gauge was the same, but most of the rail building was done under the Soviets, which included the replacement of the few standard-gauge railways.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Dawncloack posted:

The train gauge is hardly a problem these days, trains simply can adapt.

When you take a train from Moscow to Paris, or from Madrid* to Paris you don't need to change trains at the border.

*Yes, Spanish gauge is different too. Same as Russia.
And iirc Iberian Gauge was specifically different from Standard Gauge to hinder an invasion from France. I know Madrid to Paris is high speed line in standard gauge, can anyone confirm whether there's still a gauge break to get to Moscow.

Reuben Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 17, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Knowing, as they say

Is half the battle

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The other half is blowing fuckers' heads off.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

people who are trained to dig ditches and build roads aren't usually people who are supposed to be at the pointy end of the stick. this isn't a loving roman legion we are talking about. Plus even three additional divisions isn't going to change the outcome of the Battle of France.

But these were not like construction battalions or something. We'd be in total agreement if they were. They were infantry divisions. One was supposed to be motorized infantry. They ended up fighting anyways even though something like only 1 in 3 of the soldiers had even fired a rifle before and it was a disaster. The 23rd (Northumbrian) at least had a few AT rifles and 2" mortars, but they didnt even have their signals equipment.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Did the Warsaw Pact counties use soviet gauge after the war?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's fun how you deploy your guys and, during deployment, give them fast move orders straight into unscouted territory! Very gung-ho of you. I also enjoy the random "crawl 100 meters across this flooded field" order. :)

All kidding aside, these are cool and I'm enjoying them. I might get this game.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Kodos666 posted:

Robert Forczyk mentioned in his tank warfare on the eastern front the desastrous state of combined arms warfare practiced by the red army in the early months of Barbarossa. Even as the T-34 could (on paper at least) eat any german tank of the time for breakfast, they died in droves due to lack of artillery-support, acompanying infantry and proper recon and air-cover. later though they learned these lessons the hard way and managed to encircle and destroy large german Formations.

Nah, the Soviets just got bodied by Barbarossa while they were rapidly expanding the military, but hadn't mobilized for and their mechanised corps were in the middle of reorganization. The quality of tanks had nothing to do with anything, the Soviets just kept running out of fuel, or getting bombed apart by CAS, or making ill-advised immediate counterattacks, during a period when the Germans had completely overrun Soviets supply and communications lines. Soviet formations were already unweildy and understaffed before WWII, and the utter chaos of Barbarossa meant they were incapable of effective response.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Nah, the Soviets just got bodied by Barbarossa while they were rapidly expanding the military, but hadn't mobilized for and their mechanised corps were in the middle of reorganization. The quality of tanks had nothing to do with anything, the Soviets just kept running out of fuel, or getting bombed apart by CAS, or making ill-advised immediate counterattacks, during a period when the Germans had completely overrun Soviets supply and communications lines. Soviet formations were already unweildy and understaffed before WWII, and the utter chaos of Barbarossa meant they were incapable of effective response.

I mostly agree with you, but it is worth noting that the most common tank in the Soviet arsenal in 1941 wasn't the T-34, but the woefully obsolete T-26, which was prone to breakdowns that exacerbated all of those issues.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The purge of 1938 really didn't help the early Soviet war effort, either.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh hmm a bunch of posts did Grey sink more carrier--

:(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Oh hmm a bunch of posts did Grey sink more carrier--

:(

"I too shall add to the white noise"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Did the Warsaw Pact counties use soviet gauge after the war?

according to these internet train people i googled, No.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/p/136688/1536818.aspx

marknewton posted:

AltonFan posted:

I also seem to remember that during the Cold War, all Warsaw Pact countries were equipped with dual-guage track (5' and 4' 8.5") to facilitate Russian movement through the captive nations.
No, this is incorrect. The Warsaw Pact countries all remained standard gauge - there was no dual-gauging as you suggest.

Cheers,

Mark.

i assume this is the scholarly consensus

edit: oh and there's some other guy saying this too

quote:

I believe there are one or two bits of daul gauge track near the borders of what was the Soviet Union and one or two neighbouring countries, but only in a few areas where it lends itself to operational convenience.

but i think that's a really interesting question and im happy to read more about train gauges and logistics

by the way, another question: would soviet troops have accepted orders to attack the west after they finished beating germany? i get the impression american troops would not have been up for taking on the ussr, but i've never heard anything specific about soviet morale or about how they would've felt being told to keep fighting

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Stalin didn't want a war with the West at least from what I've read. While the USSR had millions of troops in active combat, they were just nearly at the end of thier replacement tether when it came to soldiers. Remember they had lost possibly upwards of ten percent of thie rpopulation, thier industry and agriculture had been gutted, and thier infrastructure devastated from Moscow to Poland.

Stalin didn't -want- war - he wanted a chance to consolidate and rebuild the USSR - but also look like he was in a position of strength to get the best possible concessions and post war setup. And the -Allies- didn't wnt war either. Churchill was voted out of office for among other things wanting to go after the Commies as soon as the war was coming to an end.

Things were in a state of posturing and figuring out who would blink first. But at least from what I've readd neither side really wanted confrontation or to push hard enough to risk it.

Would the Red Armyhave done so if Stalin ordered them to? I strongly believe tehy would have. To the average Sovietperson, he was a god.