Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bogus Adventure posted:

Fair dues.

I know Martok is a G, but I miss Gowron. Dude was so cool when he showed up, and then DS9 ruined him by making him an insane rear end in a top hat. Also, what's up with Worf being Kingmaker of the Klingon Empire?

Worf challenged Gowron for making some extremely stupid decisions in the Dominion War, got into a fight to the death, and Worf killed him. By right of challenge, Worf was now emperor and instead he gave the title to Martok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Worf challenged Gowron for making some extremely stupid decisions in the Dominion War, got into a fight to the death, and Worf killed him. By right of challenge, Worf was now emperor and instead he gave the title to Martok.

Worf also killed Duras, clearing the way for Gowron to be Chancellor. I was just thinking out loud about how silly it is that Worf, the orphan of a dishonored Klingon who was raised by humans and serves in Starfleet, is shaping the executive branch of the Klingon Empire.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I never stop enjoying Sisko's 'Will no one rid me of this troublesome Chancellor?' moment, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

Your personally Star Trek fam fiction is always better than anything the shows come up with

True. Also even when you get to be in "editor mode" you get the benefits of 20/20 hindsight. In my crazy imagined version of events, Jadzia even does something important :eyepop:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

The USS Enterprise was actually just a constantly refitted and expanded Space Shuttle Enterprise. That's why it has a bunch of old poo poo on it.
jim kirk was mentally ill and his vulcan half brother hastily created a 'ship' set for him to go on adventures and that's why the TOS enterprise looks so terrible

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and then everyone on the 'crew' was one of spock's innumerable siblings

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sarek got around. Don't judge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Worf also killed Duras, clearing the way for Gowron to be Chancellor. I was just thinking out loud about how silly it is that Worf, the orphan of a dishonored Klingon who was raised by humans and serves in Starfleet, is shaping the executive branch of the Klingon Empire.

I figure it's part of a thing that the Klingon empire is just so stratified and Worf's both enough of an outsider and obliged to be involved that he ends up making a difference.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and then everyone on the 'crew' was one of spock's innumerable siblings
in the jjtrek reboot kirk is from the midwest so spock and uhura are definitely siblings

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

in the jjtrek reboot kirk is from the midwest so spock and uhura are definitely siblings

Kirk has always been from Iowa. They just never identified the exact city (Riverside, Iowa) until the Abramsverse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Janeway is technically from Bloomington which is bullshit because she's from fuckin Jersey I can tell

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Janeway comes from a long line of goombas who are experts at "taking out the trash"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bogus Adventure posted:

Strictly speaking, Mogh wasn't dishonored until TNG season 3, and honestly even then I'm pretty sure most if not all of the council knew it was bullshit to cover for Duras. The whole thing about "Mogh was the traitor!!" was entirely for public consumption. It is therefore extremely fitting that Worf be the guy who murders Duras.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Duras also murdered K’ehleyr

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's not important and kind of a stupid thing to complain about, but it's also an incredibly simple thing to fix; don't make loving prequels. Stop clinging desperately to words and things everyone knows and advance your god drat universe. Star Trek can actually exist without a Spock being in it.

I've got a better, if a highly inflammable and opinionated, answer.

Stop making Star Trek.

Sorry, folks, it's done. I don't care if it's an enormous and well-known franchise with a built-in fanbase, it's loving over. They caught lightning in a bottle in the sixties, and then did it again with TNG and DS9 in the 90's, but everything Voyager and later has done nothing but detract from that universe. We've hit peak Star Trek, and there's nowhere productive left to go with it. Nothing left but cynical cash-grabs based on nostalgia. Leave us our TNG and TOS and DS9 (and for the mentally ill, I guess VOY ant ENT), we can watch it any time we want. Go focus your efforts on new sci-fi designed from the ground-up for modern TV sensibilities. And if you're hellbent on bringing Trek back, then take a loving lesson from The Orville and bring back the heart, humor, and ethical ruminations in a new wrapper, and scrap all the tired details of this poor defunct franchise.

Because I drat sure don't want to see a series of lovely scifi action movies, or WH40k Star Trek Edition Star Trek Grimdark the Series or poor Patrick Stewart prostituting himself for another guaranteed-lovely direct-to-VOD cash grab.

You'll never have another Best of Both Worlds, never another City on the Edge of Forever, never another In the Pale Moonlight. Stop trying and let this sleeping dog lie.

(I would have the same thing to say if JMS made another Babylon 5 spinoff, or if someone tried to make another Stargate series. You can do nothing but harm to an iconic classic.)

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 18, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well yeah, but in this era of strip-mining nostalgia that's not an option, so you might as well try to make the most of it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Automatic Slim posted:

Sarek got around. Don't judge.

Scotland.
Japan.
United States of Africa.
Russia.
The South.

drat, you're right, he DID get around. Sarek is Gene's vision of world harmony, and of everyone boinking everyone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

Scotland.
Japan.
United States of Africa.
Russia.
The South.

drat, you're right, he DID get around. Sarek is Gene's vision of world harmony, and of everyone boinking everyone else.

He was the Lwaxana of the 23rd century.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I basically agree, but the inability to make really good new Star Trek is more a symptom of what's wrong with TV than unique to Star Trek.

Films and TV, outside a few niche properties, have absolutely 0 faith in or respect for their audience. But they want to get AS MANY VIEWERS AS POSSIBLE regardless of quality or level of overall engagement. So they try to make something that appeals to everyone juuust enough and is focus-grouped to hell and you just can't loving do that, you get a mess. Decide who you want your Star Trek property to be for, and write to them.

Is it an action series? A thinky philosophical series? Is it mostly for Trek fans or for people who don't care about Trek "lore"?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
disco was laser-targeted at mycophiles and no one else

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

I basically agree, but the inability to make really good new Star Trek is more a symptom of what's wrong with TV than unique to Star Trek.

Films and TV, outside a few niche properties, have absolutely 0 faith in or respect for their audience. But they want to get AS MANY VIEWERS AS POSSIBLE regardless of quality or level of overall engagement. So they try to make something that appeals to everyone juuust enough and is focus-grouped to hell and you just can't loving do that, you get a mess. Decide who you want your Star Trek property to be for, and write to them.

Is it an action series? A thinky philosophical series? Is it mostly for Trek fans or for people who don't care about Trek "lore"?

Don't forget you have to shoehorn in some Asian characters so it'll sell in China.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pick posted:

The trailer for season 2 of ST:D reads an awful lot like "poo poo, poo poo, poo poo that loving McFarlane show is running rings around us with the Star Trek fans. What're we going to do?" "COPY IT!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't forget you have to shoehorn in some Asian characters so it'll sell in China.

It's not like that's exactly an impediment to Star Trek in particular, though.

It's really not just that they have utter contempt for their audience, but from all indications, they have no actual ideas of their own; it's all prequels so they can shoehorn in as many familiar ideas and names as they can, but see above utter contempt for the audience; they don't feel the need to justify it beyond the bare minimum or even keep to established aesthetics and ideas- things proven to work, because they also want to look cool, new and edgy at the same time.

...it's Poochie, basically.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Having no ideas and doing nothing interesting with your property is contempt for your audience, because there are creative people out there, you just don't think it's worth the risk to hire them versus Generic Content Producer Person because you assume the audience just wants lukewarm bullshit and/or can't tell the difference.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean I could point you at a hundred creepy weirdos on the internet who would do something really different and challenging with the Star Trek property, it's just that there's a strong probability it would be like Neo Yokio, i.e. a super loving awesome show that only 8-12 people in the entire world enjoy.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Here's the thing: You can do Star Trek forever. The premise is a big space ship exploring new poo poo. You can just keep that going for as long as you can think of weird poo poo in space. It does, however, require interesting characters, charismatic actors, and decent writing.

Of course they don't want to do that, though. Instead they're gonna do Battlestar Galatica but stupid. Stupider.

Discovery does have some good characters and actors, though. I wanna know what's up with that white cyborg thing on the bridge crew. I actually enjoyed Discovery but man when it gets dumb, it gets real dumb.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rndmnmbr posted:

You can do nothing but harm to an iconic classic.

You could have said the same thing in 1987, but then we wouldn't have had Best of Both Worlds or The House of Quark. No, I think it's still possible to do justice to the concept, I just think there's little interest in doing so.

That said, I'd love to see other space opera settings developed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still say it'd be a great time for a new Star Trek animated series. Cartoons are all about the social commentary and ongoing continuity now. Could make it CG like the Star Wars cartoons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say it'd be a great time for a new Star Trek animated series. Cartoons are all about the social commentary and ongoing continuity now. Could make it CG like the Star Wars cartoons.

Normally I’d agree, but cheap animation looks infinitely worse than cheap live-action and you know CBS isn’t about to give a show like that a real budget

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I mean I could point you at a hundred creepy weirdos on the internet who would do something really different and challenging with the Star Trek property, it's just that there's a strong probability it would be like Neo Yokio, i.e. a super loving awesome show that only 8-12 people in the entire world enjoy.

What's New Yokio I'm taking four months off to drink beer and watch TV

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

Neo Yokio is amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Normally I’d agree, but cheap animation looks infinitely worse than cheap live-action and you know CBS isn’t about to give a show like that a real budget

I was implying that was meant to be part of the charm, but. CBS doesn't have any kids' channel tie-ins, do they?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Maybe a big part of the problem is CBS. In recent times their audience has been boiled down to CSI fans and middle Americans who will laugh at an autistic.

They basically only make the worst television, crime procedurals and regressive sitcoms.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bring back Stargate Universe.
That poo poo was fun to watch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fun interesting and well thought out shows do not appeal to the key demographic of people who spend the entire show looking at their phone and then complain they didn't understand the episode

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I still wish they had made a movie based off the TNG episode Conspiracy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

What's New Yokio I'm taking four months off to drink beer and watch TV

It's one of the only tv shows ever made where I think that "you just didn't get it" is the appropriate response to haters

It's art.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

fun interesting and well thought out shows do not appeal to the key demographic of people who spend the entire show looking at their phone and then complain they didn't understand the episode

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

revolther posted:

Maybe a big part of the problem is CBS. In recent times their audience has been boiled down to CSI fans and middle Americans who will laugh at an autistic.

They basically only make the worst television, crime procedurals and regressive sitcoms.

That's pretty incorrect; They haven't had a CSI show for a few years, and CSI: Cyber was hilariously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost