Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix has canceled The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale. I'm guessing their "binge" experiment didn't work.

What the gently caress

It probably cost like $20 per episode, why even bother cancelling it :psyduck:

I'm catching up on Preacher and anyone who says season 3 doesn't absolutely loving rip is mental. Les Enfant du Sang :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last episode of preacher was amazing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

Also, they cancelled The Break

Dammit. I liked The Break, it was way funnier than I expected.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Losing Joel McHale and Michelle Wolf in one day will surely upset dozens upon dozens of Netflix viewers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's incredibly amusing to me that after spending the entirety of Season 2 flashing forward to the famous Manson killings in fear of the audience getting bored, Aquarius still got canned before any of the investigating or manhunt happened. And that's like the drat hook.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

The last episode of preacher was amazing

Featherstone, Tulip and Jody is a pretty good team up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m so sad about McHale 😔

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you already forgotten Season Five of Arrested Development? Because if you have, tell me your secret, please, I must know. I must forget.

I watched one episode of it lmao. Should finish at some point. Also yeah, was going to mention the Jump Street movies for Hill but I haven't seen them to know if he's good in 'em or if Tatum is the draw.

RIP McHale

I wish there was a decent way to watch his run (i was conflating Talk Soup with The Soup RIP me) on The Soup, rips for it only go so far back and I think I've already run through all the random episodes people put up on YouTube.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Joel McHale's Netflix show was basically the cheapest show ever made and was the show on Netflix where Netflix actors came to hawk their Netflix shows. Netflix has all that data though, so it must have been doing extremely poorly, even when considering it as promotion.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seemed pretty clear to me it was doing badly when they decided to make the back half of it a binge drop, tbh. drat shame though, I imagine the most expensive part of producing that show was paying McHale and some of the non Netflix guests, and it was indeed a good excuse to hawk a bunch of Netflix stuff.

it's k though I can just blame Paul Feig's lovely bits for the cancellation

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

it's k though I can just blame Paul Feig's lovely bits for the cancellation

They were the only bad part too :(

Maybe people weren't interested in that kind of show because nowadays everyone just watches YouTube clips of those shows? But it's not like YouTube and The Soup didn't exist at the same time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

They were the only bad part too :(

Maybe people weren't interested in that kind of show because nowadays everyone just watches YouTube clips of those shows? But it's not like YouTube and The Soup didn't exist at the same time.

Hell it was probably easier to find those clips on YouTube back when The Soup was still on compared to trying to find clips of shows that haven't been taken down in your country now lmao

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix has canceled The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale. I'm guessing their "binge" experiment didn't work.

It was a terrible idea for this format.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just didn't understand who the show was for. It was like The Daily Show but instead of news it was clips of really trashy TV. But people have kinda grown out of making fun of media they don't like, they just don't watch it now because watching something just because there's nothing else on isn't a thing anymore. And people who enjoy trashy tv ironically just... actually watch it now and embrace it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

people have kinda grown out of making fun of media they don't like

I really don't think this is accurate haha

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

I really don't think this is accurate haha

Hmmm maybe that's true. But I just don't think the way people consume media is the same as it was when The Soup was on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do think it's true that nowadays people just ignore all the poo poo on Basic Cable (see: that John Oliver segment the other night where he lists those real actual shows like "Southern Fried Homicide") but to me that only seems like it would make it MORE likely you'd want someone to weed (lol) through the chaff and find the best clips for you

speaking of which this season of Floribama Shore is not bad but it's not nearly as good as season 1 of Jersey Shore, which was up there with S1 of The Real World.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

I just didn't understand who the show was for. It was like The Daily Show but instead of news it was clips of really trashy TV. But people have kinda grown out of making fun of media they don't like, they just don't watch it now because watching something just because there's nothing else on isn't a thing anymore. And people who enjoy trashy tv ironically just... actually watch it now and embrace it.

I'm pretty sure there are straight up TV shows that are just filming other people watching TV and making comments on it. I know I have a friend who wouldn't shut up about one of them a couple years back lmao. Hell hatewatching is such a huge thing in online spaces, I think riffing on media they don't like or trashy stuff is more popular/widespread now than when The Soup was first around.

Lurdiak posted:

Hmmm maybe that's true. But I just don't think the way people consume media is the same as it was when The Soup was on.

This does make sense tho for why the show may not have done very well. Everything they riffed on on The Soup was typically something you'd probably seen before or caught a bit of while surfing channels.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man Jersey Shore was so good lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my loving God the Hitler storyline in Preacher was so worth the wait

i love that he doesn't actually speak real German when he gives speeches

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Man Jersey Shore was so good lmao

lmao holy poo poo as much as we agree on stuff i did not expect you to say that

but it really was just this perfect storm of people who were all absolutely awful in their own unique ways, and the occasional moments when one of them showed real humanity

it's super hilarious that The Situation ended up being the most level-headed one in later seasons after he stopped snorting oxy 24/7

but the fact his drugs of choice were opiates and alcohol go a long way to explaining why he talked a lot about loving but rarely actually put much effort into doing it. when i was taking opiates during my tooth surgeries they just absolutely destroyed my sex drive, much to my wife's consternation

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving looooove Jersey Shore, and not even like a guilty pleasure love like I genuinely thought it was excellent reality television-- you're right about it being up there with OG Real World, there's just something that feels very organic about how it all came together and how everyone played off eachother. Like yeah it's reality tv so it's jushed up and they build w/e storyline they want out of the footage they get, and I'm sure producers were needling people to say or do certain things at opportune times, but it just never felt as scripted as so much of the other reality fare out there.

But the core cast is just so goddamn loveable despite being such trash. I can't think of anyone I disliked except for maybe some of the girls who rotated in in later seasons, whose names I can't even remember lmfao. I still need to watch the latest reunion season but lmao I def look forward to everyone being nearly a decade removed from that first season and in much diff places in their lives, esp the ones who have families now.

JWoww is my spirit animal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
JWoww rips and takes no poo poo. i never really enjoyed watching Snooki except when she was falling down drunk at 11 AM on the beach and exposing her hoohah to everyone lmao but yea everyone else has something about them to like

and can we talk about how the Ronnie/Sam situation was so insane. they broke up and got back together literally every season almost. at first it was annoying but then it got so loving absurd that these two would not let go of each other that it became funny and kind of heartbreaking

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

staaaaahp raaahhnnn staaaaahp!

srs though Jwoww really was the best.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wish I could go back in time and watch the episode where Snooki gets punched again b/c I think it elicited one of my loudest gay gasps. That's some riveting television tbqh

Man Ronnie seemed like the dude with a good head on his shoulders at the beginning, but lol did that ever prove to be not accurate at all.

e: also I love snooki tbqh but she is a combo deal w/ jwoww imho, one without the other just feels wrong

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

esperterra posted:

I wish I could go back in time and watch the episode where Snooki gets punched again b/c I think it elicited one of my loudest gay gasps. That's some riveting television tbqh

Man Ronnie seemed like the dude with a good head on his shoulders at the beginning, but lol did that ever prove to be not accurate at all.

I just remember it being really hyped up, i think either in the news before the episode aired, or ads for the show, so I was expecting it going in, but I wasn't prepared by how sudden that punch was at all. That was intense.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hope and vaseline posted:

I just remember it being really hyped up, i think either in the news before the episode aired, or ads for the show, so I was expecting it going in, but I wasn't prepared by how sudden that punch was at all. That was intense.

Yeah, it came out of nowhere and it looked like a fuckin hard punch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's quite a feat how literally every character in Insatiable is a monster. There are no good people here, and every redemption arc is a lie.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 18, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

Yeah, it came out of nowhere and it looked like a fuckin hard punch.

I worked at the bar at the time and my crowd of regular college kids were loving livid over that. Dude flipped his poo poo and started yelling that they should go to NJ and find that dude and beat his rear end.

Jersey Shore had weird effects on people.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"I'M A GOOD PERSON" :stare:

Insatiable is like a really hosed up show.

EDIT: It's like Bojack Horseman but if Bojack was a crazy murderer.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 18, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
TIL Ben from Friends (Ross' son) and Jughead are the same person :monocle:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I accept that child actors are probably going to be bad, but you'd think he'd have picked up how to act somewhere along the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I accept that child actors are probably going to be bad, but you'd think he'd have picked up how to act somewhere along the way.

Shots fired at the Riverdale thread.

So my buddy had an emergency yesterday and I ran over to watch his kids while they took care of it. Before I passed out on the couch his daughter was watching a show called I Am Frankie about an android teenager being hidden from the company that made her by the family of her designer. It was basically Small Wonder with the serial numbers filed off. Is it just cool to totally rip off 80's shows these days? Because I have this idea for a show about an alien named RALF...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Shots fired at the Riverdale thread.

So my buddy had an emergency yesterday and I ran over to watch his kids while they took care of it. Before I passed out on the couch his daughter was watching a show called I Am Frankie about an android teenager being hidden from the company that made her by the family of her designer. It was basically Small Wonder with the serial numbers filed off. Is it just cool to totally rip off 80's shows these days? Because I have this idea for a show about an alien named RALF...

Does he eat bats?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Does he eat bats?

He does now!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

less laughter posted:

Well technically he was only Ross son half the time.

Don't forget the halfway point of his career!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iC9WBrKP0I

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MiddleOne posted:

"I'M A GOOD PERSON" :stare:

Insatiable is like a really hosed up show.

EDIT: It's like Bojack Horseman but if Bojack was a crazy murderer.

I love how all the pieces are laid out for you, but you never really realize just how far gone Patty is til the end of the finale.

I really hope it gets renewed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

less laughter posted:

Isn't he also the kid from that one Adam Sandler movie, and also twins?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calaveron posted:

Isn't he also the kid from that one Adam Sandler movie, and also twins?

Yep the twins were the kid in Big Daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

I love how all the pieces are laid out for you, but you never really realize just how far gone Patty is til the end of the finale.

I really hope it gets renewed.

I think it's the tonal mismatch that makes the finale so effective because really where this was all heading wasn't even subtext, it was text right back in episode 1. I would be so disappointed if this gets axed.