Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well, only if you ignore the sequels. No way Ubik pulls a Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my pitch for a Berserk movie:

act 1: we're introduced to Midland post-Eclipse, without any immediate background on the Golden Age. Sir Bumblefuck of Whatevertown, our decoy protag, is introduced. Whatevertown is in need of food or fresh water or medical supplies or something, so he gets a small band of mercenaries together to venture out into the monster-infested woods to another town on the other end.

act 2: things go bad very quickly and the mercs start getting eaten by demons. it turns out there's an Apostle and his little army living out there, and the surviving crew also encounters a gruff, one-eyed man with a mechanical arm and huge sword who seems to have a death wish and serious anger issues. Guts gets them to relative safety, and we start drip-feeding the audience info about the Golden Age and his backstory.

act 3: they go back in to whoop some demon rear end and complete their initial mission, Guts in tow, but most of them are killed. in the Apostle's dying throes, he tries to make another sacrifice, and Femto and the Godhand show up and the bit from the end of Black Swordsman in the Qlipoth happens basically as written in the manga (swapping the movie antagonist in for the slug count and one of the surviving party members for his daughter). the movie antagonist chooses to die rather than sacrifice his family member, Guts tries to throw down with Femto and gets handed his rear end, etc. The Godhand vanish, leaving the party and Guts beaten and broken as the sun finally rises. Guts gets up and staggers off into the sunrise. smash cut to title card and credits as Forces starts playing.

basically a super-compressed Black Swordsman arc with enough Golden Age sprinkled in that you could just keep moving forward chronologically from it and drip-feeding further info. because the Eclipse is a hard loving sell as early as it is, and pushing the details to later in the story makes it possibly more palatable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem with starting an adaptation with the black swordsman is that it makes guts seem terribly unpleasant. obviously we all know the reasons he was like that and that he eventually got better, but it is a very poor introduction to a protagonist. back in the day i tried getting people to watch the old anime, and a lot of them bounced off that first episode very quickly.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i think black swordsman is a valuable intro to a lot of lore, but it could be rewritten a bit since his characterization is terribly inconsistent. He's way more of an rear end in a top hat than he ought to be. Hell, he has sex with a demon and he lets himself get captured by random mooks without a fight in the very first chapter

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the problem with starting an adaptation with the black swordsman is that it makes guts seem terribly unpleasant. obviously we all know the reasons he was like that and that he eventually got better, but it is a very poor introduction to a protagonist. back in the day i tried getting people to watch the old anime, and a lot of them bounced off that first episode very quickly.

I mean, that's why he's not really the main protagonist of my pitch, just a big bad motherfucker the protagonists find and try to hide behind. Black Swordsman Guts doesn't work as a regular protagonist, but as essentially a slasher villain on the good guys' side, he'd be great.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I get what you're trying to say here but Guts IS terribly unpleasant. The fact that hes chosen to be a better person in Millennium Falcon is nice and all, but for everything up till then hes basically an increasingly insane mass killer. He'll straight up kill dozens of guys as a job and then sit down and think things like "Is this really all there is to life, carving people into lunchmeat? I feel so unfulfilled and alone". Now he's reformed under pressure of everyone he ever cared about dying and himself becoming afflicted by multiple different curses of eventual death, but like, that doesn't make him a nice person. A sizable percentage of Midlanders appear to believe that he is the literal devil, and they might well be correct. Guts looks good only in contrast to guys like Griffith and Ganishka, whose actions are so breathtakingly selfish and malicious that Guts' bad deeds are smalltime in comparison. He's a jerk.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's difficult. golden age provides the bulk of the character building, but the setting was very different from the high fantasy magic and monsters stuff from later on. you can't really skip it or relegate it to brief flashbacks because the whole guts/griffith/caska dynamic is pretty complicated and the core of the story. black swordsman introduces the monster fighting, but guts is terrible at that point and it isn't terribly similar to even the post-golden age arcs before guts starts to heal emotionally.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Guts was a massively evil man in between the eclipse and meeting puck :colbert:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Billzasilver posted:

Guts was a massively evil man in between the eclipse and meeting puck :colbert:

Fight demon evil with just good old regular human evil. SLAY IT ALL

GUTS is a bad man, but that's kinda a reasonable mentality given his upbringing and what he went through when he becomes the Black Swordsman. I'll agree probably wouldn't make for a great film adaptation without some smoothing of those edges. He is never not a bad man, he just has some of the humanity he found with the Band restored once he meets Puck and his current crew.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 18, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

it's difficult. golden age provides the bulk of the character building, but the setting was very different from the high fantasy magic and monsters stuff from later on. you can't really skip it or relegate it to brief flashbacks because the whole guts/griffith/caska dynamic is pretty complicated and the core of the story. black swordsman introduces the monster fighting, but guts is terrible at that point and it isn't terribly similar to even the post-golden age arcs before guts starts to heal emotionally.

I mean, as much total time could be spent on the GA as whoever making this wants to; I just don't think you should start it with a straight GA adaptation, because for one, that's not the part of Berserk that's embedded itself in pop culture, and for two, it's really loving disturbing in a largely way more grounded way than the "metal album cover" aesthetics of the later stuff.

Like, the GA begins with Guts' insanely horrible childhood, and then ends with the loving Eclipse. At the absolute bare minimum, you need the Black Swordsman stuff before it for it to work, because it makes it clear that the Eclipse isn't the end of Guts' story, and raises the question that the GA arc exists to answer ("what the blue blazing gently caress happened to this guy and why is he so mad at Birdman?"). Otherwise the GA kind of ends up feeling overly nihilistic and you end up losing people by the end.

e: and honestly, I sort of question whether Guts being unpleasant is that big a problem. I think y'all are thinking of Lost Children, which I agree is basically unadaptable; he's relatively normal in Black Swordsman (which I would probably try to smooth over if I had to adapt LC instead of just skipping it, by having LC be explicitly his rock-bottom moment).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 18, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Yeah as good as GA is, black swordsman also manages to turn all of GA into a surreal fantasy mystery. You see demonic imagery like the tree of hanged corpses and you keep wondering when that first behelit is going to finally show up.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
That first Black Swordsman episode of the old anime turns the Eclipse from a "gently caress you" ending to a "gently caress you and read the manga" ending.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its funny that you think a Berserk Film will start with Black Swordsman and not start with Lost Children for maximum HOLY poo poo THIS GUTS GUY IS A MONSTER.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The “Guts banging a demon” thing is especially weird given all his past traumas and resultant hang-ups we end up learning about

The Lost Children Arc really did a lot to present post-eclipse Guts with more depth and humanity despite the fact that he’s at his absolute most brutal

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 18, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
guts was sexually frustrated

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Augus posted:

The “Guts banging a demon” thing is especially weird given all his past traumas and resultant hang-ups we end up learning about

The Lost Children Arc really did a lot to present post-eclipse Guts with more depth and humanity despite the fact that he’s at his absolute most brutal

He had to get her back for killing his friend who loved boobs.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
HERE LIES CORKUS.

HE NEVER SCORED.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You'd think the Prostitute Apostle would have remembered the really muscular dude that got away, but maybe that's how she fed. hosed a dude and ate them in the act, so that was the best way for Guts to lure her into a position to blow his other cannon's load.

Its also impossible to tell with the heavy 80s shading that this was when Miura had the rules down that the brand of sacrifice would bleed making it obvious to the Sacrifice and to any potential demon or Apostle who was the predator and the prey. Maybe she really thought he was loving stupid and just can take her time to enjoy the meal. Maybe Miura just wanted an edgy opening.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 18, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BRB posting this in the Blessed thread.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
You might be able to argue away the Guts banging a monster chick as "Early story not yet developed", but those of you asking for a live version have to live with well established elements of the story: Trolls and other animals raping things. Dare I mention Wyald, in his smaller/humanoid form with women climbing all over him? The torture devices of the Holy See. Nina's sex orgy with it's well-hung goat and promiscuous men. Farnese torturing animals. And yes The Lost Children.

Watching 'Shiva' step on the little red bugs could be fun.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

You might be able to argue away the Guts banging a monster chick as "Early story not yet developed", but those of you asking for a live version have to live with well established elements of the story: Trolls and other animals raping things. Dare I mention Wyald, in his smaller/humanoid form with women climbing all over him? The torture devices of the Holy See. Nina's sex orgy with it's well-hung goat and promiscuous men. Farnese torturing animals. And yes The Lost Children.

Watching 'Shiva' step on the little red bugs could be fun.

Eh Lost Children could be argued as the one thing going too far because its specifically about children being abused, transformed and later butchered by a really frightening dude at arguably his darkest and it just so happens that he's the protagonist! This is, of course, after you take most of normal society and possibly show them maybe even The Eclipse and they show whether or not they are okay with that. That's kind of one of the reasons why almost every other media incarnation involves the Golden Age because of not only the context, but the possible high point of the story being the event that loving ends Guts' old life itself. Even to the uninitiated today, The Eclipse is possibly the make or break point of reading the manga, assuming they're okay with a few chapters of medieval politicking and regular war gore.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
guts’s seeming indifference or, i guess more accurately his brutal rage fueled satisfaction at the slaughter during Lost Children is a disturbing character moment for sure. but its not exactly like he could have rescued them all, could he?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Law Cheetah posted:

guts’s seeming indifference or, i guess more accurately his brutal rage fueled satisfaction at the slaughter during Lost Children is a disturbing character moment for sure. but its not exactly like he could have rescued them all, could he?

If you want to make an omelette, you gotta crack some eggs.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
English translation of 357 here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mGFf9mX

------fast travel unlocked------

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
another filler chapter ugh

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Relin posted:

another filler chapter ugh

At least with this chapter, its safe to assume Guts won't get to Falconia by boat.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
None of this Griffith focused stuff has any tension at all, and I personally don't find it interesting. Sonia can give good exposition and the stuff with Rickert was good, but otherwise it's just Griffith's army effortlessly crushing monsters. We already knew that Griffith was strong as gently caress and everyone loves him, so I really feel like this chapter was unnecessary from a story telling perspective. If we were to get inner monologue from Griffith where he revealed some stuff about his motivations it would be cool but otherwise I really don't get it. I'm sure the next chapter will be focused in Falconia as well, but I can't imagine whatever happens there will have needed these two chapters for context.

Basically I just want to see Caska and Guts first conversation and this is interfering.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
:stare: Holy poo poo, Griffith found a way to travel directly to Elfheim and can bring an army with him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I Love Annie May posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, Griffith found a way to travel directly to Elfheim and can bring an army with him.

Yeah, this isn't filler, this is set-up.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Yup. Set-up. However, I don't think they'll invade, but rather they'll go to Elfhelm for "negotiations".

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I Love Annie May posted:

yeah jesus gently caress I had the same thought, my immediate response was "this is definitely not good"

Miura is good, though

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It still felt like filler because one character is running around showing off how cheating looks in video games. Definitely going to be another one of those chapters that sucks alone but flows perfectly fine when read in a TPB.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Good drawings.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

It still felt like filler because one character is running around showing off how cheating looks in video games. Definitely going to be another one of those chapters that sucks alone but flows perfectly fine when read in a TPB.

"you see, by arranging your inventory like so, selecting a weapon to deposit, and then casting evacuate, you get 1024 dupes"

"holy poo poo griffith you're a loving legend"

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

Truth of Online Discourse #4553: Anybody complaining about pacing in ongoing comics, series, novels or whatever knows far less about pacing than the author*, 100% of the time

*does not indicate that the author is necessarily good at it

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

reddit thread for the fan translation for berserk 357

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
You guys are acting like people didn't complain about the pacing during the Ganishka battles a few years ago when it was inching out the door.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know we're all itching to get back to Casca and Guts but to call this filler is real dumb.

All of this will probably read well and flow quite well when we're 30 chapters down the line from here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

y'know
in 2027

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's fine. A story needs crests and troughs.