Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What do you get? Nothing. There's no stats, kd ratios or anything like that. Just murder those who think sitting in a wooden tower is fun.

Uhh... there are stats? In fact the patch notes routinely highlight which game modes do and don't get recorded in the stats DB.

Not saying that you or anyone should prioritize stats over fun, but # of wins is definitely tracked, not only in game but on every 3rd party tracking site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I mean, plus you get the satisfaction of winning?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Oh. I play on switch which doesn't have that I guess

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Winning is fun but I will consistently do really dumb poo poo to ruin some other players game. No ragrats

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

manero posted:

I picked up one of those fancy new heavy sniper rifles in the warmup area before a match, and I one-shotted a tree :stare:

They do over 1000 damage to structures.

In one of the summer skirmish matches earlier, a duo took out another player by having one person with the heavy sniper fire at a wall right as their duomate fired their own sniper rifle, immediately hitting the target right as the wall was destroyed and before the target could react. :golgo:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Evil Fluffy posted:

In one of the summer skirmish matches earlier, a duo took out another player by having one person with the heavy sniper fire at a wall right as their duomate fired their own sniper rifle, immediately hitting the target right as the wall was destroyed and before the target could react. :golgo:

Sick play :hellyeah:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Evil Fluffy posted:

That play was so rad:

https://clips.twitch.tv/RespectfulSparklingCarrotMau5

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What do you get? Nothing. There's no stats, kd ratios or anything like that. Just murder those who think sitting in a wooden tower is fun.

But the whole point of the game is to win. If not, then there's also no point in shooting anyone and you might as well build some cool forts and sing songs over the voice chat.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
This week may have been one of the easier to clear for challenges.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Orange Sunshine posted:

But the whole point of the game is to win. If not, then there's also no point in shooting anyone and you might as well build some cool forts and sing songs over the voice chat.

Building cool forts and sing songs in the middle of the circle gives you a better chance of winning than shooting people until you get to the last 2 teams. That's what people mean when they say they don't play for the win. Unless you're consistently able to wipe out other teams without burning through mats & health playing for the win is avoiding as many fights as possible to preserve materials & health for the fights that will directly lead to you winning.

I'll take fights that will reduce my chances of winning because it's more fun than sitting in a metal box waiting for the other teams to fight it out.

To give a hypothetical example:

You have let's say, 999 wood, 750 brick, 200 metal. The player/team you're going to fight has the same. You have 100/100 health and are carrying minis. Your opponent has a medkit.

The conditions for you coming out of this fight with an increased chance of winning are:

- Not losing any HP as the max you'd be able to heal up to is 150.
- Not using more than 44 structures because 449 is the maximum amount of materials you can potentially gain from the loot. Any wood you pick up would just be replacing wood you used, 249 brick would bring you to the limit and your opponent only has 200 metal, so at best you're coming out with 999/999/400.
- Not getting third partied
- Not having the fight take so long that you are sacrificing positioning. This is a pretty big one now that rifts are a thing. While you're fighting someone might come and use up all the nearby rifts that would have allowed you to get into a much more comfortable late game position.

So if you're playing for the win is it really worth potentially sacrificing 50 hp, materials and positioning while risking being third partied to potentially marginally upgrading your weapons? Almost certainly not. What's more likely to happen if you win that fight, is that you come out of the fight with a slightly lower chance of winning, while everyone else in the lobby has theirs ever so slightly increased.

Almost nobody "plays for the win" in fortnite, even if they think they are. If you're doing anything other than farming mats, looting & third partying the last fight, you're probably not either.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 18, 2018

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I'm super new to this game, what should my binds be on the switch pro controller for building?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SaberToothedPie posted:

I'm super new to this game, what should my binds be on the switch pro controller for building?

Use Pro Builder. Maps each type of build to one of the shoulder buttons

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

objectively bad posted:

Building cool forts and sing songs in the middle of the circle gives you a better chance of winning than shooting people until you get to the last 2 teams. That's what people mean when they say they don't play for the win. Unless you're consistently able to wipe out other teams without burning through mats & health playing for the win is avoiding as many fights as possible to preserve materials & health for the fights that will directly lead to you winning.

I'll take fights that will reduce my chances of winning because it's more fun than sitting in a metal box waiting for the other teams to fight it out.

To give a hypothetical example:

You have let's say, 999 wood, 750 brick, 200 metal. The player/team you're going to fight has the same. You have 100/100 health and are carrying minis. Your opponent has a medkit.

The conditions for you coming out of this fight with an increased chance of winning are:

- Not losing any HP as the max you'd be able to heal up to is 150.
- Not using more than 44 structures because 449 is the maximum amount of materials you can potentially gain from the loot. Any wood you pick up would just be replacing wood you used, 249 brick would bring you to the limit and your opponent only has 200 metal, so at best you're coming out with 999/999/400.
- Not getting third partied
- Not having the fight take so long that you are sacrificing positioning. This is a pretty big one now that rifts are a thing. While you're fighting someone might come and use up all the nearby rifts that would have allowed you to get into a much more comfortable late game position.

So if you're playing for the win is it really worth potentially sacrificing 50 hp, materials and positioning while risking being third partied to potentially marginally upgrading your weapons? Almost certainly not. What's more likely to happen if you win that fight, is that you come out of the fight with a slightly lower chance of winning, while everyone else in the lobby has theirs ever so slightly increased.

Almost nobody "plays for the win" in fortnite, even if they think they are. If you're doing anything other than farming mats, looting & third partying the last fight, you're probably not either.

I agree completely.

Everyone likes to claim that the best strategy is fighting almost everyone they see in order to get better and to gather materials, but the real truth is they just like fighting everyone they see. Once you've successfully gathered weapons and materials and such, unless you think you have a 95+% chance of winning a fight, you're better off hiding in a bush and fighting no one until the very end.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Orange Sunshine posted:

I agree completely.

Everyone likes to claim that the best strategy is fighting almost everyone they see in order to get better and to gather materials, but the real truth is they just like fighting everyone they see. Once you've successfully gathered weapons and materials and such, unless you think you have a 95+% chance of winning a fight, you're better off hiding in a bush and fighting no one until the very end.

Sure, once you actually know how to fight.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

If you really care about racking up kills and wins, play on Switch. Your stats won't be tracked, though.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 18, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Orange Sunshine posted:

Actually the point of the game is to have fun. Hiding in a bush like a bitch isn’t fun ergo it isn’t the point of the game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wearing a bush and running around like an idiot in one is definitely fun tho

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wearing a bush and running around like an idiot in one is definitely fun tho

After watching Future Man, my group calls the bush a warrior's mane.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Orange Sunshine posted:

I agree completely.

Meh that's ignoring a lot of things that are 100% relevant in high tier play like farming bouncers and launch pads. If the last opponent alive is as good or better than you, having more bouncers can absolutely make the difference. Likewise hiding in a bush you may be giving up an overwhelming highground advantage or be on the worst edge of the storm when the circle starts to move around.

Even if you're super tryhard playing to win you'd still want a sense of when you're spotting a bot, you should try to take them out to give yourself a better shot at the final showdown.

It's also ignoring intangibles like momentum, if you've been 3P-ing over the edge of a tower for the last five minutes it's not as easy to snap into a 1v1 as someone who's been slaying out all game.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yeah, we're going to have to report that.

Also I JUST realized that the cactus emote is just a way to call someone a "prick". Guess what's going into my heavy rotation wheel next.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Super Rad posted:

Meh that's ignoring a lot of things that are 100% relevant in high tier play like farming bouncers and launch pads. If the last opponent alive is as good or better than you, having more bouncers can absolutely make the difference. Likewise hiding in a bush you may be giving up an overwhelming highground advantage or be on the worst edge of the storm when the circle starts to move around.

Even if you're super tryhard playing to win you'd still want a sense of when you're spotting a bot, you should try to take them out to give yourself a better shot at the final showdown.

It's also ignoring intangibles like momentum, if you've been 3P-ing over the edge of a tower for the last five minutes it's not as easy to snap into a 1v1 as someone who's been slaying out all game.

Look at it mathematically.

If you have, say, a 30% chance of losing a fight, the only way you should engage in that fight is if it will increase your odds of winning afterwards enough to make it worth it.

So, let's say playing conservatively, gathering materials and mostly avoiding fights gives you a 50% chance of making it to the final 10 people, and you then have a 10% chance of winning. You win 5 matches in 100. Along the way, you have the opportunity for a fight that you could have avoided, and would have avoided when playing via the strategy just mentioned. If you die 30% of the time and gain nothing from it(hypothetically speaking), your odds of winning the match are now 3.5%, instead of 5%, as you now make it to the final 10 people 35% of the time instead of 50%.

If you engage in such a fight 5 times along the way, your odds of making it to the final 10 are now only 8.4%, and you now have a 0.84% chance of winning instead of a 5% chance.

In order for these fights to make sense, the resources you gather from them has to dramatically increase your odds of winning at the end. Once you reach the final 10 people, from your usual 10% chance of winning, you would have to now have a 60% chance of winning in order for those fights to have improved your odds of winning.

The actual numbers will be different for each player, but it's safe to say that the vast majority of people would be better off avoiding most fights... assuming they are playing to win.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Did you already forget that this is a video game and not a SPSS extension? You aren't actually looking at it mathematically and your numbers have no basis in reality. Many people play video games, including Fortnite, for fun, which may or may not include winning. Sitting in a bush for 20 minutes at a time is boring as hell and prevents someone playing with friends unless they want to be the rear end in a top hat that makes the group wait around in the lobby or spectate all the time while the bush-wookie hides. From your posts, you have no idea what is and is not effective in the game because you spend more time theorycrafting with random rear end numbers than you do playing the game. What, exactly, draws you to Fortnite?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Orange Sunshine posted:

If you have, say, a 30% chance of losing a fight, the only way you should engage in that fight is if it will increase your odds of winning afterwards enough to make it worth it.

So, let's say playing conservatively, gathering materials and mostly avoiding fights gives you a 50% chance of making it to the final 10 people, and you then have a 10% chance of winning. You win 5 matches in 100. Along the way, you have the opportunity for a fight that you could have avoided, and would have avoided when playing via the strategy just mentioned. If you die 30% of the time and gain nothing from it(hypothetically speaking), your odds of winning the match are now 3.5%, instead of 5%, as you now make it to the final 10 people 35% of the time instead of 50%.

If you engage in such a fight 5 times along the way, your odds of making it to the final 10 are now only 8.4%, and you now have a 0.84% chance of winning instead of a 5% chance.

In order for these fights to make sense, the resources you gather from them has to dramatically increase your odds of winning at the end. Once you reach the final 10 people, from your usual 10% chance of winning, you would have to now have a 60% chance of winning in order for those fights to have improved your odds of winning.

The actual numbers will be different for each player, but it's safe to say that the vast majority of people would be better off avoiding most fights... assuming they are playing to win.

your 11 year old nephew is more intelligent than you are

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

No thanks.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Preem Palver posted:

Did you already forget that this is a video game and not a SPSS extension? You aren't actually looking at it mathematically and your numbers have no basis in reality. Many people play video games, including Fortnite, for fun, which may or may not include winning. Sitting in a bush for 20 minutes at a time is boring as hell and prevents someone playing with friends unless they want to be the rear end in a top hat that makes the group wait around in the lobby or spectate all the time while the bush-wookie hides. From your posts, you have no idea what is and is not effective in the game because you spend more time theorycrafting with random rear end numbers than you do playing the game. What, exactly, draws you to Fortnite?

I've only played it a bit. I've noticed the entirely obvious point that very few people are playing to win, which I'm talking about here.

I also find it interesting that this is true in general for multiplayer shooters. People play battle royale, or capture the flag, or various other objective based games where they are supposed to try to plant a bomb or hold certain points, but all anyone wants to do is run around and shoot people. I'm curious why it is that people don't play game modes that are designed for the way they actually want to play. It's like eating in a pizza restaurant but none of the customers like pizza, they just like eating in a restaurant, so they all bring in eggs and ground beef and have the cook make them hamburgers and omelettes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah lets talk numbers when I'm playing darts but as far as this game of all games, no math please

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Orange Sunshine posted:

I've only played it a bit. I've noticed the entirely obvious point that very few people are playing to win, which I'm talking about here.

I also find it interesting that this is true in general for multiplayer shooters. People play battle royale, or capture the flag, or various other objective based games where they are supposed to try to plant a bomb or hold certain points, but all anyone wants to do is run around and shoot people. I'm curious why it is that people don't play game modes that are designed for the way they actually want to play. It's like eating in a pizza restaurant but none of the customers like pizza, they just like eating in a restaurant, so they all bring in eggs and ground beef and have the cook make them hamburgers and omelettes.

If you constantly slay the other team, they can never get the flag. Objective complete.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

So are the "strategies" you bragged about earlier just arbitrary number analyses of this game, or

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

You seem to like numbers, would it interest you to know that I have over 400 wins?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Jesus Christ shut up about whether wins matter or not who cares

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Orange Sunshine posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another wrestler, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Kurt Angle to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Kurt Angle KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!

So Samoa Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. See Joe, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

freeranger posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another wrestler, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Kurt Angle to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Kurt Angle KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!

So Samoa Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. See Joe, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice.

I suspect that some of your figures may be inaccurate.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
hell yeah Steiner math

A Typical Goon posted:

Actually the point of the game is to have fun. Hiding in a bush like a bitch isn’t fun ergo it isn’t the point of the game

playing Fortnite like a giant game of hide-and-go-seek/prop hunt from gmod is actually very fun and sometimes I even win doing it which is the most fun

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Sometimes it's fun to jus land in a random spot and gather a poo poo load of metal, find a cart, and build race tracks to the center circle.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Was thiiiiis close to snagging my first solo win last night but I choked at the end :bang:

Landed at Pleasant, circle ended up slightly over by Loot and since Pleasant was way out of the way of the bus I farmed the entire place, ended up with a purple SCAR, blue pump, purple silenced pistol and 10 grenades. Made my way into the circle only seeing one other dude who somehow disappeared when I tried to ambush him, then when it was down to the last 2 people one jumped from off their mountain to engage, and right when they started their build war I reigned fiery grenade hell onto them. Killed one, the other I thought ran down the hill by me so I chucked the last of my grenades only to find out they hid behind the one remaining wall left from their build war, gently caress! We traded a few shots but they absolutely faced me with the double barrel. I estimate I was too cocky cause I was on an adrenaline rush from my grenade rush, but daaaaaaaamn. So close! There's always more to improve at close range combat for me, it seems.

Also, is it just me or do these time trials just... suck? They're just tedious, imo. I only have 3 left, did the Pleasant and Lonely ones. Anyone have recs which of the 5 remaining are the easiest?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Was thiiiiis close to snagging my first solo win last night but I choked at the end :bang:

Landed at Pleasant, circle ended up slightly over by Loot and since Pleasant was way out of the way of the bus I farmed the entire place, ended up with a purple SCAR, blue pump, purple silenced pistol and 10 grenades. Made my way into the circle only seeing one other dude who somehow disappeared when I tried to ambush him, then when it was down to the last 2 people one jumped from off their mountain to engage, and right when they started their build war I reigned fiery grenade hell onto them. Killed one, the other I thought ran down the hill by me so I chucked the last of my grenades only to find out they hid behind the one remaining wall left from their build war, gently caress! We traded a few shots but they absolutely faced me with the double barrel. I estimate I was too cocky cause I was on an adrenaline rush from my grenade rush, but daaaaaaaamn. So close! There's always more to improve at close range combat for me, it seems.

Also, is it just me or do these time trials just... suck? They're just tedious, imo. I only have 3 left, did the Pleasant and Lonely ones. Anyone have recs which of the 5 remaining are the easiest?

The trial in Shifted river valley is easy. Even if you fail, your build will remain and you can just turn it back on and breeze through. You will need about 300 materials to complete it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You will need about 300 materials to complete it.

Holy poo poo that must be either a very spread out trial or a very vertical one. Thanks for the tip!

I played Friday night with (I believe?) some goons, illarious and Dr. Flankenstein, if you guys see this we definitely gotta ball again, we were killin it!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spent 5 minutes last night building ramps for one of the trials, some guy comes across me and guns an unarmed me down, before I was able to complete it. Karma I guess after I completed one someone else had already made the ramp for, and I found him idling after I did it and just one shot him with a shotgun.

At gfs moms for the weekend and her tv recently died, and she always asks our advice on tech just so she can spurn us and do the stupid thing anyway. So instead of getting a half decent TV, she went to walmart and got the cheapest sanyo they had. My god it looks so fuckin bad. Playing the game on it looks like if I went and dug up my parents old floor model out of the dump, hooked up a VCR to it and watched a movie that was recorded from TV and then copied 15 times.

Glad to see recent patches still haven't fixed menu issues. After a game or two I'm still just unable to do anything but hit Y or X to play or change mode, I dont even know if I can select a different mode then. I can scroll to the different headers but cant move down and pick anything.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

The one in retail row is real easy and on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Holy poo poo that must be either a very spread out trial or a very vertical one. Thanks for the tip!

I played Friday night with (I believe?) some goons, illarious and Dr. Flankenstein, if you guys see this we definitely gotta ball again, we were killin it!

It's very vertical, yes. You basically need to build a square spiral staircase to the level of eastern hilltops.