Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

eke out posted:

based on how extreme his justice apparently is, I'm looking forward to see who it is that like, does the beheading when you are late on your taxes.

You don't get beheaded just for being late on your taxes! That's crazy.

You get beheaded for attempting to cheat on your taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The Roman-Babylonian crossover works I think. The ur-kings probably got started in Ur, and of course Rome basically invented empire or really solidified the concept.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Aurium posted:

Size of your beard determines seniority on the council.

It's entirely possible at least one of them is, in fact, a lady with a prosthetic beard. Let's get all Lhankhor Mhy on this poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do think it’s probably significant that all of his advisors are less glam versions of Solomon.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

loving hell the font was tiny in the first book. A quick check shows it gradually increasing over time. Trends indicate that by the climax of the last book, everyone will be speaking in size 24 comic sans.

PetraCore posted:

If I had to live in the k6bd verse and I couldn't pick a world that hadn't been bent to rule yet I'd probably live in one of Solomon's, but that's mostly because the alternatives seem like they're super bad. A commitment to justice is only a good thing if the laws really are just... and even then, it depends on what kind of justice you're talking about, and I bet Solomon David isn't into rehabilitative justice given the story we've heard.

There was a story at some point where a dispute between two women was resolved under Solomon's justice. It didn't work out well for either of them really.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I seem to recall that the parable of the baby (the Judgment of Solomon) was Solomon’s way of explaining that even if his half-brother had a more legitimate claim to the throne, Solomon was willing to split the kingdom in half in civil war, so the half-brother should step down or whatever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Phy posted:

Nebu-chad-nipple

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I seem to recall that the parable of the baby (the Judgment of Solomon) was Solomon’s way of explaining that even if his half-brother had a more legitimate claim to the throne, Solomon was willing to split the kingdom in half in civil war, so the half-brother should step down or whatever.

Solomon David is not the same as that Solomon David.

It took me way too long to find that, but it's a good bit of lore, and I also found the one about Australia.. Someone really ought to go through all those asks and add that info the wiki or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The Roman-Babylonian crossover works I think. The ur-kings probably got started in Ur, and of course Rome basically invented empire or really solidified the concept.

Achaemenid Persia beat Rome to that by centuries, and I think size-wise was just as big if not bigger. Persia did a lot of things we credit Greece and/or Rome with first, actually, but because the Western view of history is extremely Eurocentric and Persia's over in the Middle East, most people just know them as the bad guys from 300. Which is a shame because there's a lot of fascinating stuff there.

Edit: Just realized this comes off as a "Well, actually," which isn't what I was going for; I'm really just very interested in the history of things like the Achaemenid Empire and saw an opportunity to talk about it.

On-topic, though, yeah, Solomon David's Sumerian-Roman hybrid aesthetic works for him. Architecture-wise his stuff seems almost entirely Roman meanwhile, which kind of makes sense actually; he's an immortal god-king, so him looking "older" than the rest of his empire fits, because he is.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 18, 2018

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Roland Jones posted:

I've said it two or three times already I think, but Solomon David looks statuesque in more ways than one almost every time he appears. He looks like he's posing in nearly every panel he's in.
SolDav's Bizarre Adventure

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

loving hell the font was tiny in the first book. A quick check shows it gradually increasing over time. Trends indicate that by the climax of the last book, everyone will be speaking in size 24 comic sans.

There was a story at some point where a dispute between two women was resolved under Solomon's justice. It didn't work out well for either of them really.

The lady who was telling the truth escaped prostitution through Imperial education and employment and her only punishment was six months of hard labor. :colbert:

And her baby became a ward of the state, so presumably it went pretty well for the baby too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Yeah but there's prrrrroobably a thematic reason one is named after the other?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
look upon Daddy, ye mighty, and despair

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The ur-kings probably got started in Ur

Probably, but the Ur-kings definitely did! :pseudo:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

look upon my pecs ye mighty, and despair

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Scipio Africurlus
Gluteus Ceasar
Vercinquadriceps
Marc Hamtony

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
His palace reminds me a lot of

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

treasured8elief posted:

Boy, if Operant thought drawing just bannisters was time consuming, imagine a tea reception in that place

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

treasured8elief posted:

Where is this?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Chewbaccanator posted:

Where is this?

This is the Ranakpur Jain temple and it's loving amazing.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's entirely possible at least one of them is, in fact, a lady with a prosthetic beard. Let's get all Lhankhor Mhy on this poo poo.

I was hoping for this as well.

Alas.

Anonymous posted:

Are all of Solomon David's councilors men?

Abbadon posted:

Yes, absolutely

So sad. Perhaps poor Solomon David has issues with women.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Not only are all his councilors men, but they are all dark skinned too. I assume it's intentional, but I still don't know if Solomon is pro dark skin, pro purple skin, or just anti white skin.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

Not only are all his councilors men, but they are all dark skinned too. I assume it's intentional, but I still don't know if Solomon is pro dark skin, pro purple skin, or just anti white skin.

Look closer, now look at the Deus-Pater thing. Those are his children, grandchildren etc.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Tzarnal posted:

Look closer, now look at the Deus-Pater thing. Those are his children, grandchildren etc.

Oh, so he is maximally racist. You are either some % Solomon or your opinion actually doesn't matter.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How could anyone else possibly give advice to Solomon, renowned for his wisdom and judgement? He can find no match but in himself, so he raises generations of clones to serve as his best advisers. This way, whatever decision is reached, it is always Solomon's and Solomon's alone.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We Divayth Fyr now.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Tzarnal posted:

I hope it's this, but backwards. Like, that they were all Solomon David

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Seems a bit rude to ask your emperor about succession when he's a friggen demiurge.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

New page!

I like how a river of coins flowing from a literal hole in his interdimensional bank vault is only a drop in the bucket for ol' Mammon. Still have enough left to fight an apocalyptic war.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I’m getting the impression that Solomon might have personal reasons for being uninterested in creating a successor, and not all of them are to do with his ego.

Dude really does surround himself with a lot of men, doesn’t he?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m getting the impression that Solomon might have personal reasons for being uninterested in creating a successor, and not all of them are to do with his ego.

Look at their noses and eyes. They're all almost exactly the same. And hey, below page 2:

quote:

“YNEM E YNNU

YNNU E AP

I am he who protects himself,

Nothing can harm me.”

– Ya’at slave incantation

He who protects himself, indeed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey, speaking of ancient Persia, "satrapies". Solomon David's just pulling from all over the ancient world.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Darth Walrus posted:

The manliest 'urge

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Darth Walrus posted:

He's named for the dude famous for having 1,000 wives and concubines. Those are his eldest surviving male offspring.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every demiurge presumably has a different kind of immortality. Mottom's is repeated bodily rejuvenation, Mammon's is just being loving old. Solomon David maybe magic-clones himself and demotes his aging predecessor to the council.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
My pet theory is that Solomon David holds his whole martial arts tournament/succession contest because he's waiting for some kind of prophesied messiah to take over for him. Everyone in his council is secretly hoping that they're The One, and to convince him, they're modeling themselves on Solomon, who models himself after what he thinks the messiah is gonna be like.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bongo Bill posted:

Every demiurge presumably has a different kind of immortality. Mottom's is repeated bodily rejuvenation, Mammon's is just being loving old. Solomon David maybe magic-clones himself and demotes his aging predecessor to the council.

I prefer to imagine that every time Death comes for Solomon David, he punches Death so hard that Death has to take 100 years to recuperate before coming back again.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Solomon David probably has some kind of kung fu breathing atum bullshit going on. He's all about being the untouchable badass.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My theory is that those guys aren't nearly as old as they look and that he is stealing life from his own kids. He clearly knows best and they're only children.

Could also be that he just sucks the life from his daughters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think he just lives forever by having an extremely strict training regimen and diet, and being an immortal kung fu wizard king.

His dedication to monarchical succession, of course, is idiotic. The fact that he's a highly efficient kung fu badass has no relationship to the qualities of his offspring, and he clearly is an awful teacher because he expects to control everything precisely. Also he can only imagine someone who is very like him (metaphorically but also... genetically, given his failsons here) as a ruler.

The dude's sin is Pride, it's not pride in something that doesn't exist - it's inability to see the limits of his own expertise.