Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

P.d0t posted:

If you're a non-Elf rogue (and particularly if you're using starting equipment) you're stuck with shortbow, but otherwise this is exactly the way to play it.

I mean, you eventually upgrade to light xbow (especially true if you are a smallfolk since they couldn't use a longbow even if proficient).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DKWildz posted:

I've got a Kender Rogue ready to go for this Dragonlance campaign, so of course I've wanted to use a Hoopak (slingstaff), something that hasn't made it back into 5E. As cool as it would be to use it, a rogue with only 1 attack with a 30 foot cutoff before disadvantage range means it might get one shot per encounter while closing the distance. At least when the DM and I were looking at it to build it in we gave it a 1d6 range / 1d6 melee (quarterstaff), although that still didn't really help for sneak attack.

Ranged weapons as a primary rogue attack don't seem to fit well mechanically.
DKWildz pick up the Sharpshooter feat.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Toshimo posted:

smallfolk

why do this, though?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Toshimo posted:

I mean, you eventually upgrade to light xbow (especially true if you are a smallfolk since they couldn't use a longbow even if proficient).

Uh size restrictions don't exist in 5E so I don't know what you're on about with the smallfolk bit.

Gnomes can longbow all the gently caress they want.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Malpais Legate posted:

Uh size restrictions don't exist in 5E so I don't know what you're on about with the smallfolk bit.

Gnomes can longbow all the gently caress they want.

Longbow is Heavy. Small creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Shows what I know about weapon rules, lmao.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

P.d0t posted:

why do this, though?

The official Tier list for Rogues is:

• Tier 1 - Halfling, Forest Gnome, Goblin, Kobold, Bugbear
  • Tier 2 - Human, Tiefling, Tabaxi, Kenku
  • Tier 3 - Everybody else
  • poo poo Tier - Half-Elf, Elf

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Halfling Rogues are where it’s at, yo. :whatup:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Thrown weapons in 5e seem pretty miserable. Other than the one specific magic item (dwarven throwing hammer?), isn't there no way to get a returning thrown weapon?

My Dwarven Fighter being a miserly git with an odd attachment to his axes has resulted in at least one or two mildly entertaining RP opportunities when it comes to throwing my handaxes at poo poo.

My party members are total bros and always manage to get them back for me.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Finster Dexter posted:

wat? You get sneak attack on ranged attacks as long as you have an ally next to the target (or you get advantage on the attack somehow). I routinely move my melee dude around specifically to give sneak attack to the rogue. Ranged rogues are awesome, and actually a lot better than melee rogues unless you have a wanky magical melee weapon or something that somehow makes it worth it to be in melee range.

Since I've never actually played it I'll admit that it's purely a feeling thing I get from it without anything to back it up. Just feels scary to only have the 1 all or nothing shot after playing the Fighter with extra attacks :) Having the extra weapon out with dual wield (while it would take up your bonus action disengage) feels like it can help make sure you land that sneak attack.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DKWildz posted:

Since I've never actually played it I'll admit that it's purely a feeling thing I get from it without anything to back it up. Just feels scary to only have the 1 all or nothing shot after playing the Fighter with extra attacks :) Having the extra weapon out with dual wield (while it would take up your bonus action disengage) feels like it can help make sure you land that sneak attack.
How 2 Ranged Rogue
1) Hide before the fight
2) Shoot a dude with advantage
3) Cunning action to hide again
4) On your next turn goto 2

Also did you see what I said about taking sharpshooter?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DrHammond posted:

My Dwarven Fighter being a miserly git with an odd attachment to his axes has resulted in at least one or two mildly entertaining RP opportunities when it comes to throwing my handaxes at poo poo.

My party members are total bros and always manage to get them back for me.
I love the mental image of someone throwing both axes and just plopping down onto the ground until someone brings them back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

How 2 Ranged Rogue
1) Hide before the fight
2) Shoot a dude with advantage
3) Cunning action to hide again
4) On your next turn goto 2

Also did you see what I said about taking sharpshooter?

Also be a lightfoot halfling so you can hide behind your larger teammates.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Verisimilidude posted:

Playing around with critical hits, and I realize I hate when someone rolls a critical hit and it ends up being a low number anyway

so I'm thinking you automatically count the first set of dice as having rolled the maximum, and then get to roll the additional dice as normal.

So if you attack with a short sword and land a critical hit, you get 6 (maximized 1d6) + 1d6 + additional modifiers

This way you always roll at least slightly higher than your standard potential damage

The way I like doing it is pretty simple. Roll all dice and add up damage as normal including modifiers and any extra poo poo. Take that number and just double it.

EDIT: Ugh gently caress, haven't checked this thread in a while and didn't realize this post was from ages ago.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On that note. I'm amused how a series where people always obsess over even the smallest amount of crit bonus ("Champion is boring as gently caress" "You could crit on an 18!!!" "And you get nothing else" "...But you could crit on an 18!").

Still dropped 4th edition stock magic item mechanics just like they dropped "Thrown weapons straight up teleport back to you as a default, gosh".Bonus crit dice per +.

They also separated some of the bargain bin versions of more expensive weapons in that they got zero crit bonuses in 4th ed. "What's the difference between a 'distance weapon' and a 'weapon of long range?'" "One costs a lot less, but doesn't give you a crit bonus."

You could sway over anyone screaming that martial don't deserve anything by reminding them this ALSO applied to spells in 4th edition. So safe knowing their Eldritch blast would still remain superior to a longbow, you might get away with such a ruling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

On that note. I'm amused how a series where people always obsess over even the smallest amount of crit bonus ("Champion is boring as gently caress" "You could crit on an 18!!!" "And you get nothing else" "...But you could crit on an 18!").

Still dropped 4th edition stock magic item mechanics just like they dropped "Thrown weapons straight up teleport back to you as a default, gosh".Bonus crit dice per +.

They also separated some of the bargain bin versions of more expensive weapons in that they got zero crit bonuses in 4th ed. "What's the difference between a 'distance weapon' and a 'weapon of long range?'" "One costs a lot less, but doesn't give you a crit bonus."

You could sway over anyone screaming that martial don't deserve anything by reminding them this ALSO applied to spells in 4th edition. So safe knowing their Eldritch blast would still remain superior to a longbow, you might get away with such a ruling.

4e doesn't exist. Anything like 4e must be removed for the health of the game. It was an infection and we barely survived!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

What's the math on criticals? Crit%*(crit multiplier-1)=% damage increase on average? So getting +1to crits on a d20 is about the same as doing 5% more damage, that's not even a +1on your damage dice. Which is harder to get +1 to damage or to crit?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arivia posted:

4e doesn't exist. Anything like 4e must be removed for the health of the game. It was an infection and we barely survived!
But we got to keep at-will spells and short rest spell recharge. Surely something like this will be a snap to slip in and claim "This is the first time we ever thought of it!"

I joke, but I'm honestly glad we kept the QoL for casting. Blowing your load and then being dead weight at low levels is garbage.

I just wish it didn't come alongside a large case of "Noooo only arcane and kung fu magic is allowed anything more than Basic Attack Spam!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 18, 2018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A ton of spells are also designed like 4e dailies, where you cast them and then for the rest of the encounter you can use your minor action to do some related thing with them and squeeze out as much value as you can.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Horizon Walker Ranger is a lot of fun. I'm in a martial heavy campaign (fighter/barbarian/paladin/ranger group), and I'm having a great time manipulating the battlefield with all the teleport type spells and abilities, and being just as good at range as I am in melee.

Apparently Circle of Spores Druid is going to be in the Ravnica book. That might be interesting.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Where was that about the Circle of Spores Druid being in Ravnica? And have they mentioned anything else, other than the UA Ravnica races, that would be in it?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Anyone have good recommendations on generating lots of characters? I'm running a 5th Ed campaign at a gaming convention, and I decided to create pre-gens for players to use. I've heard DND beyond is good, but requires you to repurchase books.

What I'm really looking for is a digital creator where I can leave lots of blanks and fill them in with some homebrew goodies and bonuses once they're printed out, with flexibility of keeping those premade characters somewhere. I could do it all manual but I'd rather not rely on penmanship.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ryuujin posted:

Where was that about the Circle of Spores Druid being in Ravnica? And have they mentioned anything else, other than the UA Ravnica races, that would be in it?

It was widely speculated then Crawford confirmed it on twitter.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Toshimo posted:

The official Tier list for Rogues is:

• Tier 1 - Halfling, Forest Gnome, Goblin, Kobold, Bugbear
  • Tier 2 - Human, Tiefling, Tabaxi, Kenku
  • Tier 3 - Everybody else
  • poo poo Tier - Half-Elf, Elf

:getout:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ryuujin posted:

The Law Cleric as well. Other with a few sub classes yet to be shown.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Just thought I’d share a story as a new player on their second session.

So our group currently is running the sessions once a month and our party consists of a gnome rogue, half elf bard and human paladin (played by myself). The story so far has placed us dealing mostly with undead and bandits on our way to a bigger city.

So far it’s been pretty hilarious, because I have taken on the role of a zealous paladin which the other players and DM have been able to roleplay really well off of. It is really fun to play such an antagonistic party member, casuing conflict or forcing strange situations to happen because your character basically refuses to take the smarter option and looks down on others as heathens because of their values.

Just for example, one of our starter quests had us investigate a local farm because a local inkeep requested it of us. We came back and instead of just taking the reward, my character interrogated the innkeeper about information they couldnt have provided( was a close friend, so he was getting more upset and angry as the conversation went on), which resulted in the innkeeper knocking my character out and my party members stealing half my money, blaming it on the inkeep just not wanting to pay me after those actions. It was a real good bit of improv and we were all laughing at the results.

There were lots of other funny/cool moments ( our bard having glass thrown at them because they played badly in a bar, our gnome rogue failing every stealth/disguise roll, facing a bandit lord solo as my teammates ran off and losing only to fight him a second time and be the one land the finishing blow,our gnome being deafened and having to use gestures to talk to him), but overall was just really fun. Our DM really accomodated when we went off the rails and did lots of good improv that made everything much better.

So yeah this game is really cool as a new player. Getting to be a character that drives conflict with NPCs and the other characters in my party having to deal with the fallout by trying to disassociate themselves from my characters behaviours has been incredibly fun.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Thrown weapons in 5e seem pretty miserable. Other than the one specific magic item (dwarven throwing hammer?), isn't there no way to get a returning thrown weapon?

I did an Eldritch Knight Fighter and used the weapon bond on some javelins with the sharpshooter feat, so it actually works at range. It's showing some weakness in actions needed now that I get two attacks, but it is a method.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Asuron posted:

Just thought I’d share a story as a new player on their second session.

So far it’s been pretty hilarious, because I have taken on the role of a zealous paladin which the other players and DM have been able to roleplay really well off of. It is really fun to play such an antagonistic party member, casuing conflict or forcing strange situations to happen because your character basically refuses to take the smarter option and looks down on others as heathens because of their values.

Sounds like your group had fun but this can get annoying as poo poo FYI, because alot of the time it ends up with your character hogging the decision making and overriding other players' choices.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Sounds like your group had fun but this can get annoying as poo poo FYI, because alot of the time it ends up with your character hogging the decision making and overriding other players' choices.

This was actually something I was pretty worried about when we started off but it has worked out well. Before we started we had a lengthy character building conversation and what we wanted out of the session, I put forward the character so they were expecting that sort of behavior which really helps make it easier as opposed to it being a character they weren't expecting.

They were pretty active agents if they disagreed with what I did. There were a lot of intimidation and persuasion checks, so I had to go along with something my character wouldn't approve of just as much as they had to go with mine. Our DM was also really good at letting my character get comeuppance for his actions ( basically being reviled at the local inn for his attitude towards the people there). I think as long as the everyone is ware of the role, your DM accomodates for that type of character and the other players engage to actively fight against your decisions, it works out pretty well.

We've discussed potential story paths for this character ( are his actions really just, would he lose his powers if he communed with his god, do we give him a redemption arc or double down on the zealous nature) and the other characters are going to have something similar. It's just one of those things I think where everyone has to be aware of what they have to do to make the scenario work well, which it definitely is for us.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Asuron posted:

This was actually something I was pretty worried about when we started off but it has worked out well. Before we started we had a lengthy character building conversation and what we wanted out of the session, I put forward the character so they were expecting that sort of behavior which really helps make it easier as opposed to it being a character they weren't expecting.

They were pretty active agents if they disagreed with what I did. There were a lot of intimidation and persuasion checks, so I had to go along with something my character wouldn't approve of just as much as they had to go with mine. Our DM was also really good at letting my character get comeuppance for his actions ( basically being reviled at the local inn for his attitude towards the people there). I think as long as the everyone is ware of the role, your DM accomodates for that type of character and the other players engage to actively fight against your decisions, it works out pretty well.

We've discussed potential story paths for this character ( are his actions really just, would he lose his powers if he communed with his god, do we give him a redemption arc or double down on the zealous nature) and the other characters are going to have something similar. It's just one of those things I think where everyone has to be aware of what they have to do to make the scenario work well, which it definitely is for us.

This is awesome. I’ve had some bad experiences with lawful stupid paladins in the past but you’re doing it exactly right.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, playing that kind of character, and not ruining the fun, is a fine line to walk. But it sounds like you are walking it just fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OfChristandMen posted:

Anyone have good recommendations on generating lots of characters? I'm running a 5th Ed campaign at a gaming convention, and I decided to create pre-gens for players to use. I've heard DND beyond is good, but requires you to repurchase books.

What I'm really looking for is a digital creator where I can leave lots of blanks and fill them in with some homebrew goodies and bonuses once they're printed out, with flexibility of keeping those premade characters somewhere. I could do it all manual but I'd rather not rely on penmanship.

MPMB’s character sheet might be helpful. Get it off Patreon, not DMGuild.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ran a game this Thursday with randos I met on Reddit and my cousin. It was actually really great! The people were awesome and excited, and they took to the game super quickly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah, they key to playing a bit of a joke character is you've got to be the butt of the joke more often than not. The "afraid of BUGS!!!" guy from a while back was doing it wrong because his wacky hijinks hurt everyone else instead.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hel posted:

What's the math on criticals? Crit%*(crit multiplier-1)=% damage increase on average? So getting +1to crits on a d20 is about the same as doing 5% more damage, that's not even a +1on your damage dice. Which is harder to get +1 to damage or to crit?
Each increase to your crit range adds +1[W]*hit% to your average damage. If we assume you're a Champion Fighter holding a greataxe with GWF with a 60% hit-rate then critting on an 18 means +1.25 damage per hit over just critting on a 20, or more accurately +7.5 damage every 10 attacks.

The usability problems with crit range increases are that they lack both the reliability of a flat +1 damage and the nova potential of a player-initiated damage boost. You're as likely to blow that big ol' crit on a kobold with 1HP remaining as you are to knock out a full-health orc or drop half the health off a boss. If you could just add the damage whenever (like a paladin or battlemaster) you wouldn't have wasted it on the hurt kobold, and you get to reliably nova the orc or mash the boss hard. Alternatively if you just had the extra +1 or +2 damage (like the +1d4 from the Brute type) then the kobold would already be dead and the boss would still take the same amount of damage over the course of the fight.

The math/balance problem is that crit chance increases are multiplicative. If you double your crit chance you also double the effectiveness of anything that improves crits. So when making things that boost crits and things that boost crit range you either make them with the assumption that they're going to be used in conjunction with each other, thereby making them not worth taking on their own, or you make them with the assumption that they're good in isolation, resulting in them being too good in combination. "Fortunately" the Champion is a trash base, so stacking Champion + GWF + GWM + Half-Orc is still not exactly going to break the bank.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Splicer posted:

Yeah, they key to playing a bit of a joke character is you've got to be the butt of the joke more often than not. The "afraid of BUGS!!!" guy from a while back was doing it wrong because his wacky hijinks hurt everyone else instead.

It's also important to separate what your character dislikes from what you as a player will do to keep the game moving.

Doc McCoy hates the transporter, and he'll take a minute every few episodes to bitch about these newfangled machines scattering his atoms across the cosmos, but he still beams down to the alien planet with the rest of the away team, because if he didn't then he wouldn't be in the fuckin episode.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OutsideAngel posted:

It's also important to separate what your character dislikes from what you as a player will do to keep the game moving.

Doc McCoy hates the transporter, and he'll take a minute every few episodes to bitch about these newfangled machines scattering his atoms across the cosmos, but he still beams down to the alien planet with the rest of the away team, because if he didn't then he wouldn't be in the fuckin episode.
That too. Someone a while back phrased it as something like, no matter what happened, B.A. always ended up in the plane.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I just joined a new group and unfortunately experienced the combination of "a good DM should never say no" with "this is what my low-wisdom chaotic neutral character would do", as on the first session the guy tried to stop a speeding carriage - carrying complete strangers we had no business with - by tying a rope across the road and nearly killing them all.

The rest of the party is two knights and a young woman with heroic aspirations, none which were too pleased with his actions and I personally had to show restraint not to shove a quarterstaff down the character's throat, as he continued to both taunt us and insist on his innocence, because it was a first session and I wanted no PVP or leave bad impressions.

He's really enthusiastic and doing a frankly incredible job with characterization, but he character itself is just completely off-tone with the campaign and how the rest of the party are playing theirs, but apparently he thinks this is fine because "D&D shouldn't be taken seriously" and "I'm Chaotic Neutral right now but I expect you guys to eventually pull me more towards Neutral Good." Should be noted, the party has no association beyond having traveled together by boat, so we have no in-character reasons to put up with his bullshit, either.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Turn him in for attempted murder...

...of your good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!