Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Thanks for the info. How is Legend of the Mountain? Worth a blind buy?

If you're a fan of other King Hu films I'd say yeah. Just keep in mind that it's 3 hours long and not actually a martial arts film, more of a ghost story mystery film with Buddhist and Taoist priests battling each other with drums instead of fists and jumping around constantly. I'd say it has more in common with Kobayashi's Kwaidan and Kaneto Shindo's Kuroneko than your typical wuxia film and I loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDi9Or_Oyuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kwaidan is one of my personal favourites, so this sounds like a very strong recommendation.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
This is my favorite bad guy, everything he does is so loving cool.

https://i.imgur.com/gvIf1A3.mp4

there was supposed to another gif here. You should watch Dragons Forever though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dragons Forever whips.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it even possible to get that movie in the US? I saw it online and it's really darn good but I want to own the drat film.

Speaking of Jackie Chan. Can anyone recommend some of his early films? I love and own the original Drunken Master film, I have Snake in Eagle's Shadow and Dragon Lord.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Project A is great.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Is it even possible to get that movie in the US? I saw it online and it's really darn good but I want to own the drat film.

Speaking of Jackie Chan. Can anyone recommend some of his early films? I love and own the original Drunken Master film, I have Snake in Eagle's Shadow and Dragon Lord.

Snake in Eagle's Shadow and Dragon Lord are good, and I liked The Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung (re-edited and re-released as Master with the Cracked Fingers). I've also heard good things about The Young Master. If you want Jackie & Friends I'd suggest Winners & Sinners, My Lucky Stars, Project A and Wheels on Meals. If you want some weirder stuff that's not really Jackie there's Cannonball Run and Fantasy Mission Force.

But the real answer is to just watch every Jackie Chan movie.

Here's Yuen Biao being a badass

https://i.imgur.com/x3zMSw5.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QmAR4nw.mp4

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Young Master is my favourite of Jackie Chan's early work. The crazy finale on its own is worth the price of admission. Jackie gets his rear end kicked by the villain for almost twenty minutes, doing one crazy stunt after the other, and in the end, he triumphs not because he's a better fighter but because he's just too drat stubborn to give up.

It also helps that unlike a lot of his early films, The Young Master is actually pretty funny.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Snake in Eagle's Shadow and Dragon Lord are good, and I liked The Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung (re-edited and re-released as Master with the Cracked Fingers). I've also heard good things about The Young Master. If you want Jackie & Friends I'd suggest Winners & Sinners, My Lucky Stars, Project A and Wheels on Meals. If you want some weirder stuff that's not really Jackie there's Cannonball Run and Fantasy Mission Force.

But the real answer is to just watch every Jackie Chan movie.

Here's Yuen Biao being a badass

https://i.imgur.com/x3zMSw5.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QmAR4nw.mp4

I was going to post that second gif. It is so painfully amazing.

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Young Master is my favourite of Jackie Chan's early work. The crazy finale on its own is worth the price of admission. Jackie gets his rear end kicked by the villain for almost twenty minutes, doing one crazy stunt after the other, and in the end, he triumphs not because he's a better fighter but because he's just too drat stubborn to give up.

It also helps that unlike a lot of his early films, The Young Master is actually pretty funny.

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is my go to for silly Chan films (Fantasy Mission Force is in its own category of course).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Is there anything good on Netflix or Hulu these days? All I see on the front pages are crappy-looking modern movies

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is my go to for silly Chan films (Fantasy Mission Force is in its own category of course).
The new 47 Ronin is basically the American Fantasy Mission Force. Of course, FMF was made for the change in Run Run Shaw's couch, while 47 Ronin cost like $150 million.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Back in the day, Prime Video actually sort their stuff by genre. Now it's just a mess to navigate that tries to trick people into buying a video thinking it's a free one that comes with Prime. You used to find all kinds of martial arts films under the action tab. On occasion, netflix categorizes martial arts as Martial Arts, but I haven't seen that in forever as it seems like their genres are categorized by algorithm.

Streaming services are trash these days.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Prime Video has a lot of martial arts movies but like Jimbot says it's a complete mess trying to find them all. I usually search for an actor or a movie I know is on prime and scroll through the "Customers who watched this item also watched" until I find something I haven't seen, and then I go from there.

Weirdly though there's a category for Shaw Brothers movies on Prime Video

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16228097011

note: many of them are dubbed from what I remember

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 31, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What would you guys say are the absolute best Hong Kong Jackie Chan movies? I'm trying to decide which ones I need to see next. I've seen:

Drunken Master I & II
Supercop (or Police Story III)
My Lucky Stars
Fantasy Mission Force
Police Story I and II plus that recent one that wasn't very good
City Hunter
Who Am I?
Little Big Soldier
Mr. Nice Guy
The Accidental Spy

I once watched Armour of God but was literally so sick I passed out in a hallway about halfway through. I've heard good things about Dragons Forever, Thunderbolt, and GREAT things about Meals on Wheels. Am I missing anything?

Also, will Pedicab Driver ever get a decent release in NA? Watched it once and loved it but I've heard it's notoriously tough to get a hold of.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What would you guys say are the absolute best Hong Kong Jackie Chan movies? I'm trying to decide which ones I need to see next. I've seen:

Drunken Master I & II
Supercop (or Police Story III)
My Lucky Stars
Fantasy Mission Force
Police Story I and II plus that recent one that wasn't very good
City Hunter
Who Am I?
Little Big Soldier
Mr. Nice Guy
The Accidental Spy

I once watched Armour of God but was literally so sick I passed out in a hallway about halfway through. I've heard good things about Dragons Forever, Thunderbolt, and GREAT things about Meals on Wheels. Am I missing anything?

Also, will Pedicab Driver ever get a decent release in NA? Watched it once and loved it but I've heard it's notoriously tough to get a hold of.

Snake in Eagle's Shadow, Drunken Master II, Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever.

Armor of God is kind of a slog but you get to see Jackie almost die if you're into that sort of thing.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
You need the first two Police Stories and Project A

I have a soft spot for Miracles, Heart of Dragon, Who Am I, and Mr Nice Guy

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I'll say Twin Dragons, Thunderbolt (which everyone sleeps on even though it's loving nuts) and Dragon Lord. Also The Medallion if you want a crazy movie where Jackie Chan becomes a god.

Twin Dragons is one of those movies where Jackie plays twins, yes it's great.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 11, 2018

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Ah yeah... Also the action scenes in Gorgeous are great

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wheels on Meals and Project A are absolute must-watches if you've never seen them before. They're both fun films with a great ensemble cast (notably they both feature Jackie's close collaborators Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung), and Wheels on Meals has what many consider to be Jackie's finest fight scene. Dragons Forever (also with Biao and Hung) isn't quite as good as these two, but still worth checking out for its incredible finale.

From his earlier works, I heartily recommend The Young Master, which really shows off Jackie's ability to take a ton of punishment and keep going.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Half a Loaf of Kung Fu due to the batshit insanity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Silver Emulsion reviews has been going through each Jackie Chan movie and they make top 5/10 lists for each decade.

https://www.silveremulsion.com/2013/09/21/top-5-jackie-chan-films-from-the-1970s/
https://www.silveremulsion.com/2016/03/11/top-10-1980s-jackie-chan-films/
https://www.silveremulsion.com/2017/01/20/top-10-1990s-jackie-chan-films/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some of the older films I wish they'd go back and give it a good proper score. It's so out of place to hear music from Star Wars in Snake in Eagle's Shadow.

I'm half expecting Luke to show up and make that one in a million shot!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jimbot posted:

Some of the older films I wish they'd go back and give it a good proper score. It's so out of place to hear music from Star Wars in Snake in Eagle's Shadow.

I'm half expecting Luke to show up and make that one in a million shot!

It was a one in a million shot but it took him a hundred takes to do and during the credits we get to see some of the failed bombing runs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How would I go about seeing a comprehensive list of all the Shaw bros films currently on Netflix? There used to be a Martial Arts genre filter but it looks like they removed it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Try "Martial Arts Movies", that's still a genre filter.

It's cool as hell they added them, even though I have digital copies of basically everything they put up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mantis42 posted:

Try "Martial Arts Movies", that's still a genre filter.

I don't see it listed. Do you mean searching for it? That actually seems to bring up a lot of results, I just don't know how comprehensive they are.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well it shows it as filterable genre when I click on "More Details" on one of the movies:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ah, weird that it's not listed in the main genre menu. Much appreciated!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
man seeing Michelle Yeoh in Crazy Rich Asians is weird since she doesn't fight, but I want to see her make something new, don't even know if she still has the moves

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

She was showing off her fighting skills only recently in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny. Please don't take this as a recommendation though, the film is dire to say the least.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Samuel Clemens posted:

She was showing off her fighting skills only recently in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny. Please don't take this as a recommendation though, the film is dire to say the least.

I honestly forgot it existed, I just remember reading that it was in the works and now it's 2018 and oh hey it exists

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
I think my favorite Jackie Chan film besides Drunken Master II is Rumble in the Bronx. I grew up with that film and I would remember constantly watching it as a kid when I went over to my grandparent's house. My grandfather loved Kung Fu films and had all of Bruce Lee's stuff as well as some other things for beta. If they ever release a Box Set of Jackie Chan stuff or just a digital channel with nothing but Jackie Chan stuff I would buy that in a heart beat.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I watched The Flying Guillotine on Netflix. Really awesome movie. I wish Netflix had the Chinese audio as an option :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SnakesandScorpions posted:

I think my favorite Jackie Chan film besides Drunken Master II is Rumble in the Bronx. I grew up with that film and I would remember constantly watching it as a kid when I went over to my grandparent's house. My grandfather loved Kung Fu films and had all of Bruce Lee's stuff as well as some other things for beta. If they ever release a Box Set of Jackie Chan stuff or just a digital channel with nothing but Jackie Chan stuff I would buy that in a heart beat.

Rumble will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my gateway Chan film.

And I'll always remember being confused about it because there was English being spoken but not always and the guys I expected to be speaking English -- white people -- were not while some of the Asian people were. Admittedly a prejudiced thing to think but I was young. Also, it was supposed to be the Bronx but it clearly wasn't so initially I thought the movie's setting was reworked to make it more marketable for North America.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spatulater bro! posted:

I watched The Flying Guillotine on Netflix. Really awesome movie. I wish Netflix had the Chinese audio as an option :(

If you want more of that, the Shaw Bros produced two sequels (Flying Guillotine 2/Palace Carnage is a direct sequel and Vengeful Beauty is only tangentially related).

But really, I've gotta recommend Master of the Flying Guillotine. It is itself a sequel to One Armed Boxer, a pretty enjoyable Jimmy Wang piece. MotFG is about a Blind Tibetan kung fu master who goes around guillotining every one armed man in China in his attempt get revenge on Wang for killing his students in the previous film.

I think these might be on Youtube but I'm not sure.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 18, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Master of the Flying Guillotine is every great thing about the martial arts genre crammed into a lean 93 minutes. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know one of my favorite aspects of the old kung fu films are the titles. Films just aren't called that any more.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Flying Guillotine 2 has something of a bad rap as the lesser of the FG films, and not entirely undeserved, but I still have a lot of love for it. Feng Ku is such a joy as the comically evil Emperor.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a decent enough film. I like the escalation where they beat the umbrella device by just making a double flying guillotine.

The real black sheep of the loose series is probably Fatal Flying Guillotine, which only exists "waterlogged vhs" quality and the guillotines themselves are basically bizarre drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I am both irritated at myself and happy to find out Master of the Flying Guillotine, which I have seen, and was just the best, was not just an alternate title for Flying Guillotine which I have not seen, and now must. Generally I just assume that every movie I want to watch that was made in China or say Italy, probably is out there under like 3 or 4 titles. Was that crazy soundtrack that was sampled in Kill Bill in Master originally part of the film or did I catch an edited foreign version.