Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mr.Tophat posted:

Explain to me as if I was goku

Skadden's law level is over 9000.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

quote:

Defendants Cloud Imperium Games Corp. and Roberts Space Industries Corp.
(collectively, “Defendants”) oppose Plaintiff Crytek GMBH’s (“Crytek”) “suggestion”
to modify the Court’s order
regarding the timing of a Scheduling Conference. Crytek
buries its suggestion in a “Notice of Filing of Second Amended Complaint” that lacks
any basis under the FRCP, the Local Rules, or the Court’s Standing Order.

The Court’s August 14 order on Defendants’ motion to dismiss Crytek’s First
Amended Complaint (the “Order”) provided a clear, sound decision, on a matter
squarely within the Court’s discretion, to schedule a Rule 16 Scheduling Conference
after the pleadings are finalized. (Dkt. 38, at p. 22.) Crytek’s “suggestion” that the
Court immediately convene a Rule 16 conference or, alternatively, “simply . . . direct[]”
the parties “to proceed with discovery now” directly challenges the Court’s Order. In
essence, Crytek is asking the Court to reconsider its Order. This is improper.
To the
extent Crytek seeks relief from the Court’s Order, it may do so by filing a noticed
motion pursuant to FRCP 60 and providing the necessary evidence to establish good
cause for such relief.

Crytek filed its Second Amended Complaint yesterday, on August 16, 2018. As
Crytek acknowledges, Defendants may elect to file a motion to dismiss Crytek’s new
claim added to the Second Amended Complaint.
Because the outcome of that motion
could again significantly impact the scope of discovery, the Court’s decision to
schedule a Rule 16 Schedule Conference once the pleadings are finalized was sound
and should not be disturbed.

The Court should reject Crytek’s improper attempt to circumvent the rules of this
Court and not deviate from its sound determination to issue the Scheduling Order after
the pleadings in this case are settled.

:golfclap: MoMA

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hahahahah

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Mr.Tophat posted:

Explain to me as if I was goku

CIG is Yamcha.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That’s not how a licensing deal works, or how Amazon works.

Amazon actually holds up it’s contracts, unlike Chris.

Don’t believe it, Vertisce? Check your stretch goals, buddy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

This is actually my super power. I am both the most cunning of foxes but I am also cripplingly retarded and unable to function in day to day.

Every time I think "I shall doom this particular group with the sheer power of my intellect!" there are powerful waves of mental energy visibly expanding from around my head, and then I trip on a bucket and fall and forget how to stand up again for five days while drooling on my Red Lobster bib.

Fancy pants got herself a bib.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Daztek posted:

http://docdro.id/N0hyv2e

Pls no discovery, pls, judge, DO SOMETHING

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Neltharak posted:

How do you gently caress up that badly? How? Hell I bet if the SC subreddit had ten million dollars, they could band together and make a better space game than croberts by light years.
Their leadership is a screaming bear on the edge of an unfinished bridge, demanding they complete the bridge while he remains standing there. Scruffpuff might take it a little into hyperbole, but the core opinion that Crobbler is not fit to task is a major issue with development. Someone else made him a demo, someone else ran his campaign, someone else runs all the funding and then they put him in charge.

The other thing is, although we won't know til maybe this thing collapses, I think it's basically that the game is crippled by its own means of success. I forget the exact phrasing, but 'Marketing is the only thing CIG has produced' is also a very neat analysis of their spending. The game side is mismanaged, but massive amounts of resources outside those poured into mocap garbage, expensive travel or tacky decorations are poured into more marketing. CIG has spent more money pretending to make games and made less money in that game of pretend, than a real game studio would have taken to make their game and then made from the successful franchise they'd have produced in the time CIG had made marketing.

Think of it as a factory that literally produces crowd funding "success". The art of the scam, that's their product. Now imagine those tools, techniques and methodology applied to doing literally anything else. And that's Star Citizen right there. That product.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

They just attempted to tell the judge how to run the case. This is not going to end well.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hav posted:

They just attempted to tell the judge how to run the case. This is not going to end well.

Not the first time I think :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Not the first time I think :v:

No, and i think that we’ve already had a hint that it’s irritated the court just a bit. This should be the rebuttal to the amended compaint, and it’s a compaint about procedure.

This is going to be great.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Their leadership is a screaming bear on the edge of an unfinished bridge, demanding they complete the bridge while he remains standing there. Scruffpuff might take it a little into hyperbole, but the core opinion that Crobbler is not fit to task is a major issue with development. Someone else made him a demo, someone else ran his campaign, someone else runs all the funding and then they put him in charge.

The other thing is, although we won't know til maybe this thing collapses, I think it's basically that the game is crippled by its own means of success. I forget the exact phrasing, but 'Marketing is the only thing CIG has produced' is also a very neat analysis of their spending. The game side is mismanaged, but massive amounts of resources outside those poured into mocap garbage, expensive travel or tacky decorations are poured into more marketing. CIG has spent more money pretending to make games and made less money in that game of pretend, than a real game studio would have taken to make their game and then made from the successful franchise they'd have produced in the time CIG had made marketing.

Think of it as a factory that literally produces crowd funding "success". The art of the scam, that's their product. Now imagine those tools, techniques and methodology applied to doing literally anything else. And that's Star Citizen right there. That product.

They’re riding the tiger, which is not a bad place to be unless you need to get off the tiger. Because it’ll eat you.

Exit strategies are going to involve gaining private funding and starting to slide under the table, but that’s going to happen after the lawsuit isn’t deflected.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Neltharak posted:

In other news, Planet Denizen is going to have functional combat in about two weeks.

Two incompetent nerds (and tuo, which IS competent) cobbled together a near-game in a week and a half. Which makes me violently angry about just how much of a waste of money star citizen is.

gently caress, there's literally nothing to do in it, and I still had more fun flying around in an empty scene shooting PARP targets and zooming around not-to-scale planets than I did last time I made the mistake of checking out SC...

How do you gently caress up that badly? How? Hell I bet if the SC subreddit had ten million dollars, they could band together and make a better space game than croberts by light years.

If I'd be actually that competent I would have found time to draft up the space ship interface like I wanted to, but too much work got in the way plus some personal matters :/ I hope I can join back in to the fun next week or at last next weekend, as I started some stuff but never found time last week to continue on it.

Octopath might also have played a role in it. (allthough I think I played < 1 hour of games this week....not good)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

http://docdro.id/N0hyv2e

Pls no discovery, pls, judge, DO SOMETHING

OK, it's clear that CIG is just trying to stall for time now. As soon as the judge runs out of patience or CIG out of excuses, this sad show will be at an end. The thread will close. These are the final days of Star Citizen.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Hav posted:

quote:

Defendants Cloud Imperium Games Corp. and Roberts Space Industries Corp.
(collectively, “Defendants”) oppose Plaintiff Crytek GMBH’s (“Crytek”) “suggestion”
to modify the Court’s order regarding the timing of a Scheduling Conference. Crytek
buries its suggestion in a “Notice of Filing of Second Amended Complaint” that lacks
any basis under the FRCP, the Local Rules, or the Court’s Standing Order, because
THIS IS BULLSHIT.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Libluini posted:

OK, it's clear that CIG is just trying to stall for time now. As soon as the judge runs out of patience or CIG out of excuses, this sad show will be at an end. The thread will close. These are the final days of Star Citizen.

CIG seem utterly desperate to avoid any form of disclosure. So whatever's in there, it's going to be big and obvious and hilarious.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

tuo posted:

If I'd be actually that competent I would have found time to draft up the space ship interface like I wanted to, but too much work got in the way plus some personal matters :/ I hope I can join back in to the fun next week or at last next weekend, as I started some stuff but never found time last week to continue on it.

Octopath might also have played a role in it. (allthough I think I played < 1 hour of games this week....not good)

Monster hunter world hurt my productivity as well, space-friend, don't worry. I'll add afterburner gage and vfx when I'm back from traveling. I'll get onto ship structure when that's done :wave:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Fair point over on the Frontier boards...

quote:

It that's CIG's strategy, I don't understand why they replied so fast, to running out the clock they should have respondend at the last day of the 21 day period. It doesn't make any sense considering CIG is trying to play for time.

I'd love to think Ortwin's just lost it, but probably too much to hope for.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

But there's a very specific reason for the project being about keeping up appearances while raking in crowdfunding and pre-orders: The product they're claiming to make cannot be made. Even if the funding had been given to the best developers in the world with the best leadership at the helm, it could not be made. If they'd sold a project with a smaller, more feasible, scope, they would not have reached the current level of funding.

I think that's a very important lesson from this whole debacle, and a recurring theme with many crowdfunded projects: They're built on the deception that progress has already been made and they're promising something that cannot be made. This gives them access to the market for this speculative product, and right from the start sets the project up to dissapointment and anger the backers (when the real product inevitably differs from what was promised) - or to simply drag along as a masquerade until a plausible collapse can be fabricated (or an actual one happens).

It is also worth noticing that simulation, procedural content and/or AI are usually cornerstones of these fabricated games. All are easy to fake as in-development, all promise a paradigm-shift in gameplay experience, and present difficult promises to see through for many gamers. They're all noticably absent from the AAA titles with their high production values but shallow technology - thus creating a perfect opportunity to exploit the disillusion which is strong among some gamers.

Star Citizen and its ilk appeals to gamers who are like the Man in Black from West World - addicted to gaming and virtual worlds, but craving a deeper experience than what's being offered. They want a game with moving parts inside the space ships - not just fake polygon ships, they want NPCs who aren't just scripted to tell a story but with actual agency and existence, they want multi-player experiences with consequence and forced realism - fellow players need to be part of the game, not just fellow visitors to the theme park. But the irony is that many of these gamers are flawed and broken individuals, who would probably not capable of functioning in, or even enjoying, an actual virtual world.

This is not the last time we'll see a crowdfunded game promising ground-breaking technology and "real" games. There's a huge demand for these games - a demand strong enough to make many gamers forget how Radiant AI, Black & White, No Man's Sky, Horizons - to name just a few - turned out as parodies what was promised.

Some Star Citizen backers just wanted an iterative improvement on the sci-fi sandbox and/or spaceship-pew-pew genres. But this group alone doesn't have the spending power that the crowdfunding opportunists need - so they turn to the Men in Black. The original crowdfunding pitch for Star Citizen was full of signs that this was the case. Anyone claiming the pitch was ok, and it was the scope creep and mismanagement which have led to the current fiasco, needs to go read the pitch again. The drama and failure was inevitable.

I called this when I read the pitch for the first time. Derek Smart is on record as claiming it could be done. Those who kept clear of backing this outcalled the Warlord. I have no doubt this knowledge haunts him. He was once a backer. He fell for the scam. Out-witted by a Crobear, he thirst for revenge and is forever doomed to tweet his rage into the virtual void. Drawn to such a powerful source of nerd-rage, the virtual Cacodemons, hiding their true names behind monikers such as "Maht Daymun" and "minus 5 IQ Derek", grow ever stronger - tainted heralds of the end times, where the lost souls of gamers languish in unfidelitious console gaming hell. Will the Eudaemonic goons be able to save the day through lols and revealing the sickening truths? I hope so, the doggos and cattes deserve a better internet tomorrow.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

No holes barred.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

That was just CIG frantically trying to smother the suggestion that maybe discovery could start to move ahead, we still have three weeks to wait for the proper rebuttal or whatever

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I... I did... :negative:
but you haven't sent me an updaaaaateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Pixelate posted:

They seem scared the court would make Crytek's requested order for discovery to commence. CIG are acting utterly desperate to avoid any sort of discovery whatsoever. So whatever's in there, it's gonna be good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Deep inside the CIG building, hidden behind doors only a few have the keys to open....Skadden will find

THE TICKLER IN BLACK

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

If Chris Roberts jumped out of an airplane, he wouldn't be qualified to fall.

While I love everything about your posts. I love this quote the most.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Man am I glad that space court is back. "This is improper!" Reading CIG's lovely legalese is just :discourse:

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

They seem scared the court would make Crytek's requested order for discovery to commence. CIG are acting utterly desperate to avoid any sort of discovery whatsoever. So whatever's in there, it's gonna be good.

I would be extremely surprised if they aren't still using CryEngine. This includes CryEngine tools (editor, server binaries, asset format converters/exporters) and source code. Looking at the various videos, the logfiles, the distributed game client files - everything I've seen points at the Lumberyard switch being a sham. Having this exposed would have disastrous consequences - one could say it would be the ELE.

Also, come to think of it, wouldn't this theory being true mean that CIG lied in the motion to dismiss?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

Stalling for time also includes attempting to file a procedural timeout, rather than rebutting the point of order, or the amended complaint.

Cf. Andrew Miller attempting to attack the fundamental basis of the Mueller investigation. Legislative pachinko.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
PROGRESS WATCH!

quote:

3.3.0 to 3.6.0 Progress Watch - Update 2018-08-18

Welcome back to Progrss Watch

It's been a while ! CIG has spent a lot of time working on the roadmap, and while we had an "accidental" update a few weeks ago, there is still a lot of changes coming in this new version.

An important note before we begin : features marked as "removed" are very often not actually removed, they are moved beyond the furthest patch on the roadmap (currently 3.6.0), so don't panic over disappeared features, they most likely have been delayed and not actually cancelled.

And with that in mind, let's begin.

Feature Watch

The Feature Watch spreadsheet has been updated with the many features moved between version. Search for your favorite feature to find where it is now, or read below for all the detail.

3.3.0 Progress Watch

3.3.0 is the patch with surprisingly the least changes in this update, at least in terms of content. Let's analyse it category by category.

We start our journey in the Characters section, where we have a new mission giver : Recco Battaglia. She's already been quite developed at 52% completion. All other features are also getting worked on, with Hurston Clothing Collection starting at an already very high 91% completion.

In the Location category, the Hurston Moons feature has been split into one feature per moon, and the good news is that they are all in polishing stage ! Meanwhile, Hurston itself is getting +24%, as well as the Rest Stop getting +16%. However, Lorville, the Hero Location, has a lot of work ahead, going from 35 to 121 tasks to do.

In Gameplay, there are no changes in content compared to the previous roadmap update, and all features are getting progress nicely. The most progress can be seen on Ships System Degradation (+50%), Scramble Race Mission (+29%), REC Rentals (+25%) and Improvements on Mining (+22%).

For AI, we have lost one feature : Ships Behavior. It's unclear if it has been replaced with "Improved AI Behaviors" since they both existed in the previous update, is delayed beyond 3.6.0, or is removed entirely. All other features are getting worked on with the most improvements being on Multiple Enemy Combat Behaviors with +40%.

Next we have our beloved ships ! All ships are being worked on, and the ones getting most love are the Mustang Reworks (as seen yesterday in Reverse The Verse), as well as the Constellation Phoenix.

Weapons are also getting a little bit of work, with +3% on average on all 3 upcoming guns.

Finally, we arrive at Core Tech. The Weapon System Refactor is complete, and is now in polishing. All other features are getting worked on and displaying good progress with an average of 10%, expect for Network Bind Culling which isn't moving in this update.

3.4.0 Progress Watch

Now we're getting into the more refactored part of the roadmap. There are a lot of movement in the patch and the nexts.

First, in Characters we have a new mission giver named Wallace Klim.

In Locations, the moons of ArcCorp have been split into distinct features just like they did for Hurston. Additionnaly, we have a new location for an existing planet : Lorville Business District.

Next is Gameplay, and there isn't much left after this update. Service Beacon Improvements have been moved to 3.6.0, Escort Missions to 3.5.0, and Interdiction & Salvage Missions have disappeared entirely. To compensate, we have two new features : FPS Ping & Scanning, and Quantum Travel Improvements (second edition).

Ships are also getting reorganized. First, the 300 series rework has been split into individual features for each ship variant. There is also a new variant added : the 600i touring module. However, the Constellation Taurus has been delayed to 3.5.0, and the MISC variants have been moved to 3.5.0 as well and have been replaced with a rework for the original Reliant : the Kore.

And finally for Core Tech, there is also some reorganization. First, Gas Cloud Tech has been brought back from 3.6.0. But to compensate, Parallel Network Jobs and Lobby Refactor have been moved to 3.5.0. Improved Space Scenery Aesthetic has disappeared from the roadmap, but two new features have been announced : Projectile Manager, and Hard Surface Shader Improvements.

3.5.0 Progress Watch

We open 3.5.0 with a new feature for Characters that had been announced a very long time ago DNA Face Customization. It will allow to create new faces, by blending multiple existing faces together.

Next we head to Gameplay and there is a lot of changes here too. First, all Salvage features have been fused into a single "Salvage v1" feature. About fuel related features, they have all been removed, as well as repair ships. Manual repair is still here though. Finally we have a new feature : Reputation / Law System v1.

For ships, we're getting all the ships that were delayed from 3.4.0, plus two additionnal ship reworks : one for the Origin m50, and one for the P52 Merlin.

And for Core Tech, we're getting the two features delayed from 3.4.0.

3.6.0 Progress Watch

3.6.0 has had its Gameplay category entirely redone. All features that were previously scheduled, like Land Claim, Service Beacons, Data Running and so on, have been removed (probably sent to future patches), and replaced with these 4 new :

Ping & Scanning Improvements

Physical Inventories

Guilds System

Ship to Ship refuel v1

For the rest of this roadmap, there is a new ship announced : the P72 Archimedes, as well as two new Core Tech reworks : one for the Persistem Item Cache, and one for the Insurance Service. This has forced Server Meshing to be removed, probably delayed to a future patch.

And we're finally done with this update ! As always I'm looking for your feedback and comments, and I hope to see you next week, if CIG gives us an update, for a new Progress Watch

See you then !

Archives : 3.2.0 - 3.1.0 - 3.0.0 - Global - 2.6.3 - 2.6.2 - 2.6.1 - 2.6.0

Progress watch: Core tech delayed, but we get ships!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

Chris bought that yacht and horse as hedges against the future revenue stream....No, they went balls deep on Theranos in a deal with Coutts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

27%? It's almost complete! :dance:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Maybe because the court case is a) impacting sales, so they want to get rid of it asap (combined with the negative press and how the shill department is on overtime) and b) they are indeed holding off on SQ42 development because of the issue of 1 game vs 2 and what the court will decide regarding that. There is also a possible c) they are confident they will win with no serious blowback and that CryTek don't have a case, so want to push ahead.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

A carpentry metaphor? I can hear the DapperDon rant in my head already.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Libluini posted:

These are the final days of Star Citizen.

90 days tops?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The other day at Home Depot I lusted over a rape cabinet.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

A carpentry metaphor? I can hear the DapperDon rant in my head already.

Must....resist....

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Nothing like a little early morning wood to get your day going.
Star Citizen as a carpentry metaphor.
Bring out the dead wood jokes.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

PROGRESS WATCH!

Progress watch: Core tech delayed, but we get ships!

If you look at the full roadmap (no matter how optimistically and assuming they finish OCS or whatever meaningless phrase they use for their tech issues) you can see that they will be working on Stanton well into the end of 2019. So by the end of next year they’ll have 1 out of the 100 promised star systems or 1% of the promised content. The citizenry has been saying for years that some imaginary pipeline is “maturing” so that the pace of content creation will increase exponentially at some nebulous future point. I guess 2220 will be the year when CIG really hits its stride!

Even just trying to finish Hurston seems to be a shitshow, as it’s actually slid back in progress and added more tasks for the landing area. It seems likely that it will be MIA in 3.3 and Chris has already hinted at this. They seem to be rushing Hurston’s three moons into the game, which are just more generic procedural nothingness, and virtually indistinguishable from the current moons in the game, so they have something to show for 3.3/Citizencon.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

G0RF posted:

Kiosk FUD on the subreddit.

Hurry Dolvak — ban him or her for this filth.

You are dismissed.

”Now... Let’s get back to those dark corners where anything can happen...”

I stopped reading at "Whilst"