Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lots of running around to avoid the AoE so I'm sure that would have sucked as a black mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

RME posted:

the common opener has a petswap, but you end on ifrit who is pretty good at managing his own stuff
Or you could be a bad player like me and skip weird optimizations like that. I don't do any raiding, so I prefer to settle on a straightforward rotation I can still do after a few beers, rather than aim for a perfect rotation I'd mess up half the time anyway.

Like, I know my mnk rotation is suboptimal because I clip Demolish too much doing just side-side-side-back-back-back-repeat, but the potential 4% I could gain by doing the optimal rotation doesn't outweigh what I'll lose by getting confused and hitting the wrong button.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

I like how Marcelain, the Ishgard Knight at the gates, has all his dialogue changing throughout the game. When you first show up to Coerthas he is all snooty as to be expected, when Ishgard comes under attack his dialogue is more panicked and how he can't be bothered, after doing Steps he is far more positive and thinks you should be allowed into the city, and is joyous when you are allowed into Ishgard. Not only is his introduction dialogue changed, but the "what do you do here" and "what is this place" dialogue all changes in each instance.

Wow, and this continues after Final Steps of Faith. I wish I left the area and talked to him before completing it. He then calls you Warrior of Warriors.

E: Its in stark contrast for the NPC to his left, that you talk to to enter Ishgard. He will always say "Ah yes, the ward"

Mother gently caress this ward revolutionized your entire country's system!

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 17, 2018

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Bring back Raubahn ex/best served with cold steel Savage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AngusPodgorny posted:

Like, I know my mnk rotation is suboptimal because I clip Demolish too much doing just side-side-side-back-back-back-repeat, but the potential 4% I could gain by doing the optimal rotation doesn't outweigh what I'll lose by getting confused and hitting the wrong button.

This is the issue I run into. Every time I try being ~optimal~ I gently caress things up frequently enough that I'm pretty sure it's not a gain overall. I'm just not the sort of person who can keep my focus/concentration long enough to reliably do that sort of thing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The surefire way to beat both Raubahn EX and Red Chocobos EX was "Wait one week real-time."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The good old MGS3 method.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

small bird pudding posted:

I got kicked from Halatali by a MAGA rear end in a top hat and his friend for being a communist machinist. How’s y’all’s evening going?

This Machinist Kills Fascists

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I'm on Excalibur, thanks! Should be on tonight at some point (and some point over the weekend). Is a levekit the items to turn in for leves, or the resources to craft those items? I'm not really set on doing the whole grind myself; probably the biggest reason I want to do them is just to get to see all the quests (plus being able to craft equipment for alt jobs).

gimme your ign, mine's phone number

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Archyduke posted:

This Machinist Kills Fascists

There it is

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

i never thought i could be physically hurt by a conversation

and yet

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

small brain: pays attention to plot

large brain: skips plot

galaxy brain: who ? is thordan lol

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Corazon Espinado is the canon WoL.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

cosmic brain: who ? is lup lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jigokuman posted:

Corazon Espinado is the canon WoL.

The WoL hardly ever says anything because they don't even speak the language everyone else speaks and thus have no clue what's going on. This little elf dude just keeps saying things to them and leading them places, where people keep picking fights.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There is one set of people who speak the WoL's language and who there is an understanding that does not require the Echo in the slightest.

They're pretty cool too :colbert:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is one set of people who speak the WoL's language and who there is an understanding that does not require the Echo in the slightest.

They're pretty cool too :colbert:

Mamool Ja must dance

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

TL:DR Gotta pick up and deliver poop.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vadoc posted:

TL:DR Gotta pick up and deliver poop.

BfA has a quest where you ride a giant parrot and poo poo on people's heads. FFXIV's gotta catch up with the times!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FFXIV does better by having the dev team poo poo on the playerbases head

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I heard Heavensward delves into Dragoon stuff a lot. Is it worth leveling lancer for that reason, or is it class agnostic?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Safeword posted:

I heard Heavensward delves into Dragoon stuff a lot. Is it worth leveling lancer for that reason, or is it class agnostic?

You have to play the expansion themed class, it’s mandatory

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Warrior for ARR, Dragoon for HW, Monk/Samurai 50-50 for SB

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Safeword posted:

One of the key NPCs is part of the ARR Dragoon job quests but you don't lose a lot if you haven't done it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Well, Dragoon armour looks really cool, and I didn't realise Marauder was a tank job. Time to experiment again!

I'll get you eventually, Titan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Safeword posted:

Well, Dragoon armour looks really cool, and I didn't realise Marauder was a tank job. Time to experiment again!

I'll get you eventually, Titan.

Yeah so the color behind your class symbol explains your Role. Green is healer, red DPS, blue tank.

WAR/MRD however is basically just a DPS that has enough HP to tank hits. End game Marauder is about smashing out as many psychic buzz-saws as possible.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Well that's cool. And I do feel stupid for missing the colour - wasn't keen on Arms warrior in Wow, so assumed MRD was the same. :v:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Warrior in 14 is one of (if not) the best class in the game, for one it has the most satisfying dps of all tanks once you unlock Fell cleave and Decimate and its the smoothest tank when it comes to dancing between dps and tanking role.
As a tank it has the best aggro generation, solid easy to manage defensive cooldowns as well as good self healing.
It doesn't play anything like warrior from WoW in how i remember that game.

10/10 would level warrior again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Safeword posted:

If you play DRG, the second half of ARR has slightly changed cutscenes regarding Ishgard.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Choyi posted:

Warrior in 14 is one of (if not) the best class in the game, for one it has the most satisfying dps of all tanks once you unlock Fell cleave and Decimate and its the smoothest tank when it comes to dancing between dps and tanking role.
As a tank it has the best aggro generation, solid easy to manage defensive cooldowns as well as good self healing.
It doesn't play anything like warrior from WoW in how i remember that game.

10/10 would level warrior again.

The only thing I would contend here is the aggro generation, not 100% sure but I think since the 4.3 buffs, Dark Knight outclasses Warrior now. Otherwise Warrior is the perfect first timer tank, yeah.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Feel like I'm cheating on the paladin guild. :ohdear:

Marauder is making a great first impression though, even if the pirate accents are awful.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The only thing I would contend here is the aggro generation, not 100% sure but I think since the 4.3 buffs, Dark Knight outclasses Warrior now. Otherwise Warrior is the perfect first timer tank, yeah.

dunno about consistency in generation but DA-Power Slash burst aggro is ludicrously high, makes swapping a breeze

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Unchained isn't tied to Inner Release anymore so it might lag behind DRK a bit in aggro generation, but a butcher's block combo is still a shitload of threat

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Welp, went through the Warriors of Darkness story again on the alt character.

Why Yoshi P :negative:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I play DRK and WAR both (a lot more DRK recently cause i want the armored achievement mount) and I do feel i always end up with a slightly bigger threat lead with warrior opener vs the dark knight one.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

AngusPodgorny posted:

Or you could be a bad player like me and skip weird optimizations like that. I don't do any raiding, so I prefer to settle on a straightforward rotation I can still do after a few beers, rather than aim for a perfect rotation I'd mess up half the time anyway.

the pet swap gain is kinda small but there's no way that MNK rotation is only 4% behind

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Sorry Phone, had to update the recruitment post, events warranted :(

Recruiting a healer for O8S prog - We're working on second Forsaken, but willing to teach the earlier fights. Having a DPS class raid-ready would be a bonus. We run Tuesday and Thursday, 7:30-10pm PST.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Choyi posted:

Warrior for ARR, Dragoon for HW, Monk/Samurai 50-50 for SB

If going through Stormblood as a MNK got me any special dialogue, I sure as heck didn't notice it. Not even in the dungeon specifically made by a monk to train monks that features a monk boss at the end. :mad:

SAM is mandatory though, if only for the final showdown of 4.0.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

RME posted:

the pet swap gain is kinda small but there's no way that MNK rotation is only 4% behind
I did the laziest simulation possible and plugged numbers into a spreadsheet, and over 180s got 15,450 potency compared to 16,150 potency, so 4.5% less. I didn't include ogcds in that, but they're a constant so that'd just decrease the percentage.

Another way to look at it is that since Demolish is already ticking either way, any dps loss comes from refreshing Demolish too often and only getting the 70 potency Demolish base instead of a 170 potency Snap Punch. Doing a perfect rotation would let me use Snap Punch 4 times every six combos instead of 3, so that's an extra 100 potency (less than one attack) every 18 attacks/36 seconds.

Unless there's some even more complicated optimal rotation out there than:
Dragon Kick - Twin Snakes - Demolish
Bootshine - True Strike - Snap Punch
Dragon Kick - Twin Snakes - Snap Punch
Bootshine - True Strike - Demolish
Dragon Kick - Twin Snakes - Snap Punch
Booshine - True Strike - Snap Punch, repeat
Which I don't know of, and I don't see what you could do without losing the buffs from Dragon Kick or Twin Snakes.

This doesn't take into account things like making sure the Demolish lines up perfectly with Hypercharge / Trick Attack / whatever, but I'm never going to script out a fight that perfectly anyway. My adventuring consists more of clicking raid roulette and ending up with 3 black mages and a dragoon that casts Dragon Sight on the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Safeword posted:

there's a decent amount of text that changes but it's mostly minor flavor, so if you don't already wanna level the class it's not worth doing just for this imo

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 18, 2018