Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Who had Saskatchewan in the "We aren't having an Indigenous Holiday" pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

I would've taken Manitoba first, but at least they haven't declared open season on Indigenous youth like Saskatchewan pretty much did, so it makes sense.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

I would've taken Manitoba first, but at least they haven't declared open season on Indigenous youth like Saskatchewan pretty much did, so it makes sense.

Our premier said that we have an old fashioned race war in Manitoba so we aren’t far off

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

Our premier said that we have an old fashioned race war in Manitoba so we aren’t far off

Remember when EvilJoven was scared of the 10-year-old in Winnipeg or whatever? That was fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Atlantic goons, what are good places to eat or things to do in Halifax?

Do we even have any atlantic goons?

Is there even internet out there?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

flakeloaf posted:

You can't trust Sask with holidays anyway. They'd just name it after that farmer who murdered Colten Boushie.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Powershift posted:

Do we even have any atlantic goons?

Is there even internet out there?

We at least used to have a CanPol goon who was doing some good work in New Brunswick, but I don't know how often he posts anymore.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

You can't trust Sask with holidays anyway. They'd just name it after that farmer who murdered Colten Boushie.

More likely is that some provinces will take the opportunity to create a new holiday and they'll name it MacDonald Day as a way to own the libs in the culture wars.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Anyone else remember :sask:? :rip:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Donairs are different out there. :shrug:

I really liked the maritime nature museum or whatever it is, and the last time this topic came up a lot of people pulled HARD for the Citadel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

vyelkin posted:

More likely is that some provinces will take the opportunity to create a new holiday and they'll name it MacDonald Day as a way to own the libs in the culture wars.

"We get a holiday for fast food?"

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Listening to two women on the subway talk about how affirmative action is bad. One of them is a person of colour and they both agree women are not cut out for some jobs.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Note they are younger women so it isn't an age thing

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Okay?

If people were never complicit in social structures which harm groups of which they are themselves a part, it'd be a lot easier to fix a lot of broken poo poo in this world. This is hardly a novel or surprising situation.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Just let me be mad and disgusted PT6A. I haven't entirely raged out yet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Testikles posted:

Just let me be mad and disgusted PT6A. I haven't entirely raged out yet.

Mad and disgusted is okay, so long as you aren't surprised :smith:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Arivia posted:

Donairs are different out there. :shrug:

I really liked the maritime nature museum or whatever it is, and the last time this topic came up a lot of people pulled HARD for the Citadel.

That was me, I'm more interested in good food places. I have the Harbour Hopper and the Citadel on tap for touristy poo poo tomorrow, need food though. The goon recommendation of going to the Alibi Room in Vancouver was the best before and I was hoping lightning would strike twice.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
What kinda pricerange?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1030487097293983749

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

vyelkin posted:

Flames 2, Oilers 0

:golfclap: but the first one owned so much more

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

This is going to be the new normal thanks to climate change making the fires worse. When I got off the plane a few minutes ago I was surprised at just how bad it smells.

Gonna go shop for a mask this weekend. Looks like it's time to learn how to ride with a respirator.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Someone better at memes should take one of those pictures, and put a "this is what PG or wherever looks after legalisation!"

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I don't know about Halifax restaurants but you should locate some of that delicious Chris Brothers Pepperoni, say, about enough to fill a small luggage

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Bicycle Thief and Press Gang for Lunch/Dinner. Edna's for breakfast.

For things to do, the Citadel is always great, and the bar scene at night is amazing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

That was me, I'm more interested in good food places. I have the Harbour Hopper and the Citadel on tap for touristy poo poo tomorrow, need food though. The goon recommendation of going to the Alibi Room in Vancouver was the best before and I was hoping lightning would strike twice.

loving harbour hopper. Better than our bullshit downtown train though. If you ride that stupid lil train do not under any circumstances give it any money.

Downtown food, try Gahan House on the waterfront. Get some oysters if you’re game.

edit: above poster also has good ideas. Press Gang is $$$ though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All the places I knew in Halifax are pretty much gone now. Like the entire building Rogues Roost was in was just a hole when i was last there in 2016. Though I doubt the quality of Halifax resturants has gone down, as you could never really had a lackluster place because everyone was so good.

Strange Adventures is still there, just moved to Lower Water Street across from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Go there for a great nerd store.

I've been to the Press Gang once, for my moms 60th birthday. I had the most amazing prime rib there. They put garlic mashed potatos in the holes where the ribs had been.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Bernier's fuckhead attitude resulted in some cock vandalizing the park sign in Winnipeg.

I wish there was a way we could hold these fuckers accountable for inciting violence rather than letting them smugly get away with plausible deniability or some other half cocked excuse. And of course that fuckhead Scheer isn't going to do anything about Bernier. He should toss him out of the party and let the fucker go shill for some pissbaby autocrat somewhere. Seems to be the retirement goal for a number of conservative politicians.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 18, 2018

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Halifax stuff:

Chives is awesome, but pricey. Bicycle thief also good.

Coastal cafe on robie is amazing. Salvatore's in the north end for pizza, cheese curds for poutine/burgers. Baan Thai and chaaba Thai. Wasabi house for sushi

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Bernier's fuckhead attitude resulted in some cock vandalizing the park sign in Winnipeg.

I wish there was a way we could hold these fuckers accountable for inciting violence rather than letting them smugly get away with plausible deniability or some other half cocked excuse. And of course that fuckhead Scheer isn't going to do anything about Bernier. He should toss him out of the party and let the fucker go shill for some pissbaby autocrat somewhere. Seems to be the retirement goal for a number of conservative politicians.

Max can be the spokesperson for the American dairy lobby.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I don't know about Halifax restaurants but you should locate some of that delicious Chris Brothers Pepperoni, say, about enough to fill a small luggage

I was just in Halifax on my way to PEI and we brought back a bunch of that stuff! The TNT flavour is pretty danged tasty although the texture is really weird - more like a balogna than what you'd expect from a pepperoni. I recommend hanging it to dry out for at least a couple days.

Crustashio posted:

Halifax stuff:

Our Bicycle Thief experience was brutal. Place seems like a tourist trap catering to boomers. Food was alright I guess but service wasn't good. After an hour of waiting for our mains I offered to settle up... they told us it was coming out any minute which turned into another 20.

I would recommend the Old Apothecary for pastries though. They knew what they were doing. Not quite at the level of what you can get in Montreal but pretty close.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is exactly why the Conservative party is set to splinter. Harper wouldn't let any of his MPs talk out of turn, he knew the only way to keep the party going and keep getting votes was to just dogwhistle and be only as racist as the public would allow. He rarely even talked about his own social conservative value. Scheer has no control over anyone though and it already seems like half his MPs are going for his head.

Laminar posted:

Bicycle Thief and Press Gang for Lunch/Dinner. Edna's for breakfast.

For things to do, the Citadel is always great, and the bar scene at night is amazing.

We decided to do a small pub hop yesterday and hit up Economy Shoe Shop, Stillwell and The Fickle Frog. I was actually surprised that downtown was still fairly busy at midnight. Going to hit up Edna's for sure tomorrow.

Crustashio posted:

Halifax stuff:

Coastal cafe on robie is amazing. Salvatore's in the north end for pizza, cheese curds for poutine/burgers. Baan Thai and chaaba Thai. Wasabi house for sushi

I don't know if I'm going to get as far as the North End but Salvatore's looks real good

pokeyman posted:

loving harbour hopper. Better than our bullshit downtown train though. If you ride that stupid lil train do not under any circumstances give it any money.

Downtown food, try Gahan House on the waterfront. Get some oysters if you’re game.

edit: above poster also has good ideas. Press Gang is $$$ though.

I thought the little road train looked sort of fun? I wanted to do at least one guided tour and the Habour Hopper seemed like the best money to things to see ratio.

Thanks for the recommendations, Halifax is pretty cool and hopefully doesn't have an insanely racist underbelly like the rest of this country because everyone seems very cool+nice so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4789571
"Anti-Colonial Vandals" spray paint SJAM statue red in response to Victoria statue takedown, urging Montreal to do the same.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought the little road train looked sort of fun? I wanted to do at least one guided tour and the Habour Hopper seemed like the best money to things to see ratio.

I'm just salty because where I work I can hear the train toot its fake whistle every 25 minutes on the dot. Ditto harbour hopper. By all means go for it :)

https://twitter.com/RWJBoon/status/993966766190661632

quote:

Thanks for the recommendations, Halifax is pretty cool and hopefully doesn't have an insanely racist underbelly like the rest of this country because everyone seems very cool+nice so far.

It definitely does, but I’m glad you’re enjoying things so far!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4789571
"Anti-Colonial Vandals" spray paint SJAM statue red in response to Victoria statue takedown, urging Montreal to do the same.

You know, leaving the statues up and letting vandals go to town on them regularly seems like a pretty good compromise to me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Halifax has a special place in my heart because that is where i proposed to my now fiancé. Fwiw we went for dinner at bicycle thief after and it was great.

If you are a cocktail hipster i totally recommend Noble's too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Reince Penis posted:

You know, leaving the statues up and letting vandals go to town on them regularly seems like a pretty good compromise to me.

Works for Bulgaria.

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Halifax has a special place in my heart because that is where i proposed to my now fiancé. Fwiw we went for dinner at bicycle thief after and it was great.

If you are a cocktail hipster i totally recommend Noble's too

Noble is so good. The password this week is silly (Validation is for Parking).

Long story short, go to the Middle Spoon (a dessert place), give the password and they take you down into a basement through the kitchen into a speakeasy themed bar. It is bougie as heck, but the cocktails are next level. Would recommend. Don't go if you drive, I think every drink is 3 oz.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Powershift posted:

Works for Bulgaria.

Wow, that's impressive. The only good statue vandals we have in Canada are pigeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lobok posted:

Wow, that's impressive. The only good statue vandals we have in Canada are pigeons.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

e: there aren't even any good colonialist pig statues to vandalize :(

http://www.reddeer.ca/media/reddeerca/about-red-deer/history/heritage/The-Ghosts-Of-Red-Deer-Tour.pdf

Francis the Pig ain't never done nothin to hurt nobody :(

quote:

Francis the Pig
(Danek Mozdzenski, 1998)
 e legend of Francis began in 1990 when he escaped from
a local abattoir. For nearly fi ve months the fugitive roamed
Red Deer’s parkland, eluding
predators and several attempts
to catch him.  is freedom-
loving pig was finally caught
in 1991. Unfortunately,
Francis succumbed to injuries