Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

dragon's maze 2 baby :getin:

should be called Dragons Raze, and be a showdown between Bolas and Niv Mizzet. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Timing has some work to do for Arena, but worst case scenario is still better than MTGO where you could be waiting for 20 minutes while they let their clock die.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am currently playing against the saltiest motherfucker in the world on Arena

He played mill into Bant Turbofog Turns on arena basically accelerating my win state. He's forcing me to play out the reverse mill with two Teferi emblems out and him with zero permanents in play. I'm drawing one of the three Nexuses left that constitute my library and discarding it down to 7 and back into my library each turn. Even if he manages to drop a land and a 1 drop, they are gone on my draw step. 21 more turns until this is over.

I could have beaten down with Karn constructs 20 minutes ago, but he managed to mill them all and Vraska the one I'd resolved (stranding one of my Nexuses in exile.)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

born on a buy you posted:

apac/euro lands for life

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Why do they get progressively smaller?

Climate change.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am currently playing against the saltiest motherfucker in the world on Arena

He played mill into Bant Turbofog Turns on arena basically accelerating my win state. He's forcing me to play out the reverse mill with two Teferi emblems out and him with zero permanents in play. I'm drawing one of the three Nexuses left that constitute my library and discarding it down to 7 and back into my library each turn. Even if he manages to drop a land and a 1 drop, they are gone on my draw step. 21 more turns until this is over.

I could have beaten down with Karn constructs 20 minutes ago, but he managed to mill them all and Vraska the one I'd resolved (stranding one of my Nexuses in exile.)

You ever try the mono red dragons list?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Alright, land chat.

This is the best plains.

Alternatively if you want to get fancy you can go for the connected art.

Best swamp is these two.

Best mountain

Best forest

Best island

I guess what I'm saying is that Portal Second Age and Mirage is extremely my poo poo. Sadly, the Mirage forests aren't very nice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

You ever try the mono red dragons list?

I've been absolutely tearing up Arena with this pile, and I don't know if it's "good" or if arena players are just "bad":

2 x Legion's Landing
3 x Llanowar Elves
1 x Adorned Pouncer
3 x Channeler Initiate
3 x Benalish Marshal
1 x Gideon of the Trials
2 x History of Benalia
3 x Gift of Paradise
2 x Pride Sovereign
2 x Cast Out
2 x Leonin Warleader
1 x Settle the Wreckage
2 x Shalai
2 x Huatli, Radiant Champion
2 x Foomigate
2 x Regal Caracal
2 x Vivien Reid
2 x Ajani Unyielding

2 x Memorial to Glory
2 x Shefet Dunes
1 x Field of Ruin
3 x Sunpetal Grove
3 x Tranquil Expanse

7 Plains
5 Forest

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There are an awful lot less 4-ofs in magic than I thought.

Edit: u was taught if it's good enough to want in the deck. You want to see it as often as possible

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Edit: u was taught if it's good enough to want in the deck. You want to see it as often as possible

I’m pretty sure that list is a pile and you generally do want 4 of your best cards but there are exceptions.

When tutors and card selection cards are available you can potentially run fewer of those cards and also put 1 odd in your deck to grab as silver bullets.

What does commonly happen, especially in grindier decks is that they’ll run a 1 of on insanely grindy cards so that in those matches, where they’ll be seeing more cards in their deck they’ll be more likely to draw it when they really need it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ilmucche posted:

Yeah it's just a silly deck I made one night and have been refining. I never expect it to do well but it always does :iiam:

edit: if I had them, I would probably run more copies of certain cards, it's more that I don't want to waste wildcards on the deck so that's why there are so many non 4-ofs

I would probably run 4 Vivien instead of 2 Ajani if I could

edit2: 4 Huatli would also be ideal because the deck sometimes relies on Ultimating her really early and then drawing a million cards, which helps with the consistency of the deck overall

precision fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 18, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Koirhor posted:

loving Marketing department is gonna kill literally every product or service with positive EV for customers.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

My first ever 3-0 in draft, wooo :toot:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Went 4-0 at FNM last night.

Turns out that when you're solidly in "mono-green ramp/fatties" after pack 1, getting passed Sarkhan's Unsealing in packs 2 and 3 is pretty drat good.

Also, I got to use Chaos Wand to spike a Cleansing Nova when I was otherwise dead on board.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the judge call about in this GP stream right now?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

fadam posted:

What's the judge call about in this GP stream right now?

It was an unnecessarily long judge call about two lands played in one turn. No clue why it took almost 10 minutes to resolve

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ilmucche posted:

You want 4 of basically any card that makes your deck go that isn't a total disaster if you draw it without something else. Aggro wants their most efficient beaters and removal, control wants their cheapest counters and draw spells, etc.

Answers, combo pieces, utility spells like card draw, and important cards that require setup all tend to be run at less because they're 1) Competing for space with each other, and 2) Are of varying importance depending on what you expect to face. Strong, fairly universal answers that are cost-efficient tend to be 4-of, and everything else varies on how important it is, how much room you have to run it, and it's difficulty to cast.

The deck above is absolutely a pile, but even piles can win if they're built well enough and have enough going in between the pieces- hell, one of the top decks in Legacy for a while pre-Deathrite ban was basically a four-colored pile of nonsense that just won games through value and Leovold.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 18, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

"turbo"fog is a deck for degenerates but I'm glad a Gam boy is going to win on camera :)

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’m pretty sure that list is a pile and you generally do want 4 of your best cards but there are exceptions.

When tutors and card selection cards are available you can potentially run fewer of those cards and also put 1 odd in your deck to grab as silver bullets.

What does commonly happen, especially in grindier decks is that they’ll run a 1 of on insanely grindy cards so that in those matches, where they’ll be seeing more cards in their deck they’ll be more likely to draw it when they really need it.

Depending how much draw/tutor you run this can vary but this is how I look at card numbers:

4: I want to draw this card every game. If I draw multiples, even better.
3: I want to draw this card often, but I may not want multiples in any given game. Sometimes this applies to a key strategic card that's legendary.
2: This card is situationally great. Maybe something I want to see one of in the late game with some consistency, but drawing multiples early is bad. Maybe it's something I really only want to play after or in conjunction with another specific card.
1: I never want to see 2 of this but in situations I do see it, it's useful. Silver bullet in decks with tutor packages. May also just be a miser's copy of a key card for a specific matchup that's not great in other matchups in decks without tutoring.

Another reason to run funny numbers can be to reach a total number of cards having some redundant effect. This article discusses a concept of a "7-9" rule where if you consistently want to see a specific effect in your opening hand, you run 7-9 cards that do that. The specific deck he's discussing this concept in relation to is one of the most extreme examples of fast combo, but the basic principle applies all the way down to Standard decks that want to make a certain play consistently on turn 1-2.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

It was an unnecessarily long judge call about two lands played in one turn. No clue why it took almost 10 minutes to resolve

He not only didn’t pay correctly for memory but then shuffled the memory back into the deck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Another reason to run funny numbers can be to reach a total number of cards having some redundant effect. This article discusses a concept of a "7-9" rule where if you consistently want to see a specific effect in your opening hand, you run 7-9 cards that do that. The specific deck he's discussing this concept in relation to is one of the most extreme examples of fast combo, but the basic principle applies all the way down to Standard decks that want to make a certain play consistently on turn 1-2.

Yeah it's very important to keep in mind when you have different cards that fill similar roles.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Not in this particular case, but it's important when looking at a deck to figure out if a 1-3 of is that or if it's a slightly worse 5-7 of another card.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It begins.

https://twitter.com/Gfabs5/status/1030906149867012096?s=19

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks for the #-of chat. I'll have to keep that in mind while reworking my modern GW token deck. Populate for days.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i guess now is the time for all shady mtg grinders to set up a very good storefront and sell counterfeits to their enemies

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

M:TG is such an absurd distribution model I was trying to come up with a sports or other competitive event to liken this to but can't even think of a good analogy to describe why this is dumb.

They manufacture the game pieces and organize the events, but then distribute the game pieces in such a way that the players are obliged to buy them through unaccountable third parties generally at great expense, and those same players bear the consequences if any fakes that slip into the system?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

They manufacture the game pieces and organize the events, but then distribute the game pieces in such a way that the players are obliged to buy them through unaccountable third parties generally at great expense, and those same players bear the consequences if any fakes that slip into the system?

:capitalism:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What happened to sealed deck: the game? Is it actually coming out?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ilmucche posted:

What happened to sealed deck: the game? Is it actually coming out?

BreaKey: The Uncustomizable Card Game is available for Preorder now!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/keyforge/products/keyforge-call-archons/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's one of the side effects of this type of game. The game pieces are distributed randomly in a sealed product and it has its roots in things like baseball cards.

Even if booster packs were a dollar, there was no reserved list, reprints flowed like a raging river, and the most valuable single in the game was five dollars, there would still be counterfeits.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Star Man posted:

It's one of the side effects of this type of game. The game pieces are distributed randomly in a sealed product and it has its roots in things like baseball cards.

Even if booster packs were a dollar, there was no reserved list, reprints flowed like a raging river, and the most valuable single in the game was five dollars, there would still be counterfeits.

I seriously doubt it. Not ones good enough to fool even the dumbest FNM player, anyway.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Hi, since I'm a terrible person I decided to try making a mill deck in standard (here). Any tips to improve it, other than swapping out the cast downs/murders for fatal pushes/vraska's contempts?

I originally had a 2-of Azor's Gateway, but I ended up seeing both in games enough I swapped one for a Treasure Map. I feel like I could be running more lands but with all the 2-mana draws in the deck I haven't gotten mana-screwed too often.

Here's the deck list if you don't want to click through:
1 Anticipate
1 Arch of Orazca
1 Azor's Gateway
2 Cast Down
4 Chart a Course
1 Desert of the Mindful
3 Drowned Catacomb
4 Dusk Legion Zealot
2 Fatal Push
1 Field of Ruin
4 Filigree Familiar
2 Ipnu Rivulet
4 Island
3 Memorial to Genius
1 Murder
2 Patient Rebuilding
4 Psychic Corrosion
1 River's Rebuke
4 Sai, Master Thopterist
1 Search for Azcanta
1 Supreme Will
7 Swamp
1 Treasure Map
1 Vicious Offering
2 Vraska's Contempt
2 Yahenni's Expertise

1 Arguel's Blood Fast
1 Cast Down
1 Crook of Condemnation
4 Duress
2 Expel from Orazca
1 Lost Legacy
4 Negate
1 Sentinel Totem

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 18, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Where's my best chance of picking up some games of Modern this evening in Spokane? I was thinking Merlyn's.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

I feel like the time, effort, and iteration to set up a counterfeiting operation for $5 Magic cards would not be worth it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

He 100% knew they were fake, lmao.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

He 100% knew they were fake, lmao.

That’s neat, you should post your proof in a reply to that twitter thread

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

If you are trying to say that a full time magic grinder will not know what fake cards look like, that’s a pretty insane statement. Proof in a case like this is never going to happen though, barring a post on twitter stating he is running fake cards this weekend

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

meanolmrcloud posted:

If you are trying to say that a full time magic grinder will not know what fake cards look like, that’s a pretty insane statement. Proof in a case like this is never going to happen though, barring a post on twitter stating he is running fake cards this weekend

Playing magic full time doesn’t automatically make you able to spot counterfeits.

I have handled out of the sleeve and played with counterfeits from about every major fake producer out there and I STILL have been fooled through TCGplayer sales a handful of times.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

meanolmrcloud posted:

if he knew they were fake why wouldnt he have done what any sane person would do and returned them to TCG player instead of paying full price for counterfeits and risking getting a DQ

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

If they were so good, how were they spotted at a tournament? Do judges whip out a loupe? Did someone think they looked funny? That’s almost certainly the case, and if some rando could call it, it’s insane he wouldn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

again literally why would he keep and take with him to a tournament full price counterfeits