Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Alberta's new normal could be a 'constant state' of drought: expert

Farmers and ranchers across the prairies have been facing off against hot and dry weather conditions for the past year, and a drought researcher says simulations show it's time to start treating these conditions as the "new normal."

"It's not a crisis right now, but it's building to a different threshold that we need to start planning for," said Mary-Ellen Tyler, a professor with the University of Calgary's faculty of environmental design who studies drought adaptation.

"It isn't going to be 50 years between droughts. We're going to be moving into a more constant state of dry."

Some regions in southern Alberta are contending with one-in-50-year lows of precipitation accumulation. The bone-dry conditions are hurting farmers' crops and making it hard for ranchers to grow enough feed for cattle to graze on.

Southern Alberta crops suffer as farmers contend with driest soil in 50 years
"The situation for grazing is definitely deteriorating day by day," said Charlie Christie, the head of Alberta Beef Producers and a southern Alberta rancher.

If ranchers don't see rain in the next few weeks, they will likely be forced to sell their livestock earlier. They're also trying to get a sense as to whether or not there will be enough feed to get herds through the winter.

"We're watching the situation. We're concerned, but we're not deep in a crisis yet. We're staring down the barrel of one," Christie said, from the Canadian Beef Industry Conference in London, Ont., where he and leaders from across the country were discussing the weather challenges they've been facing.

Tyler said Alberta's agriculture industry has historically had to adapt to difficult conditions, as that's just the nature of farming in a semi-arid climate, but it's time to start adjusting grazing, land-management and business plans to suit the new climate reality.

Dry spell could force Alberta ranchers to sell cattle prematurely
And, she said Albertans should really think about it as more than simply an environmental issue.

"I think there's a tendency to talk about this situation as something environmental, which doesn't seem to be well understood or be a critical issue for a lot of people, but this is really an economic issue," she said.

"The fact that we are so dependent upon our natural environment within an agricultural framework, within a grazing framework, for our economy, we need to really bring people on board around the fact that we are already struggling with oil and gas. Do we really want to put ourselves within a difficult position with respect to agriculture?"

She suggested producers start looking at social solutions like implementing co-operative grazing to better share water and land.

Albertans don't need to start worrying yet, Tyler said, but that could change if action isn't taken.

"It's a southern Alberta problem for everyone who lives here and intends to have a future here."

Can't wait to learn out how this is all the doing of the eastern bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Helsing posted:

There wouldn't be so much global warming in alberta if BC would just let us get some of these hydrocarbons out of here :argh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Economy Shoe Shop has a bad rep with me as it constantly was spreading Norwalk virus years ago.

I regret leaving Halifax because all the stuff I hated about it; the small thinking of its leaders, the abandoned buildings and holes downtown, the absolute lack of non local bands playing; all got cleared up. I also could have been friends with Darwin Cook.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lobok posted:

Wow, that's impressive. The only good statue vandals we have in Canada are pigeons.

We need to start feeding them pigmented grain.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
gently caress yeah lets become an utter wasteland of fire and desert.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Australia is taken, get your own gimmick

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Powershift posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

e: there aren't even any good colonialist pig statues to vandalize :(

http://www.reddeer.ca/media/reddeerca/about-red-deer/history/heritage/The-Ghosts-Of-Red-Deer-Tour.pdf

Francis the Pig ain't never done nothin to hurt nobody :(

Francis the Pig Rest in Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yk9KmClxlM

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

pokeyman posted:

I'm just salty because where I work I can hear the train toot its fake whistle every 25 minutes on the dot. Ditto harbour hopper. By all means go for it :)

https://twitter.com/RWJBoon/status/993966766190661632

It definitely does, but I’m glad you’re enjoying things so far!

That makes sense about the train, from a tourist perspective it’s one of those weird dumb things you spend an hour on though.

There was a pro-Palestine protest outside the public gardens this morning and this Mosaic 2018 festival is cool so it can’t be all bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Powershift posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Believe me, I basically had the same idea as Hexigrammus here...

Hexigrammus posted:

We need to start feeding them pigmented grain.

...when I tried to sell dyed bread to old people because they're the ones who feed the pigeons.

But I had a real problem at my bakery once I put up that "No Whites. Coloureds Only!" sign.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

That makes sense about the train, from a tourist perspective it’s one of those weird dumb things you spend an hour on though.

There was a pro-Palestine protest outside the public gardens this morning and this Mosaic 2018 festival is cool so it can’t be all bad

Don’t miss our shiny new convention center that stretches over a public street, a block lovingly termed The Grafton Street Glory Hole.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Imagine a Canada where we keep all of our SJAM statues and such but also have an independent non-partisan body funded by the office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage pour over all of the parliamentary / legislative records and such to create commemorative plaques and stuff that can be swapped out, to highlight both the good and quite often terrible things that these people did. We could even have current elected officials host events where they read these things to both a live and televised audience. They could do this during the day and school children can watch these things from the classroom.

That'd be a good course of action, I think.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Lol imagine if a country essentially said "name your price" and offered a blank cheque to a publicly traded foreign company to pay for their pipeline that wasn't even built yet while having the sun blotted out and their air all hosed up due to climate change.

That would be a hell of a thing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It would be but this is the thread for being mad at our forefathers while we pretty much ignore the fact that a good chunk of our country is literally blanketed in a haze of smoke thanks to climate change and mismanagement of our resources so let's keep talking about what to do with our statues while our country literally burns.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

EvilJoven posted:

It would be but this is the thread for being mad at our forefathers while we pretty much ignore the fact that a good chunk of our country is literally blanketed in a haze of smoke thanks to climate change and mismanagement of our resources so let's keep talking about what to do with our statues while our country literally burns.

Remember a week ago when you were posting here about your drunk antics at a wedding and pissing and moaning about how much you hate where you live?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When I think of topics this thread shies away from, I think of our government's horrible record on pipelines and climate change

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

If only this thread would talk about the right things at the right time, it would certainly solve many problems.

Just like my likes and thoughts and prayers are helping all those poor folk I hear about on social media

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I read what I drunkposted and quite frankly mostly forgot about but LOL I drank way too much that night.

I don't hate it overall, I just hate how loving cold it is half the time, but it's at least challenging.

The long and short of it is I think part of the problem with North America and Europe's apparent lack of appreciation for the positive parts of our culture is the fact that we're both too caught up in our current state of defining our culture by way of consumption of consumer goods, and also reveling in self flagellation over the pain supporting our addiction to unsustainable goods and services has caused without actually doing much to change it.

That being said, the cultures that are currently suffering from the current global paradigm aren't at all saintly. Hell, while riding bikes down Pichu Pichu a few days ago our guide, of Spanish descent, pointed out that the terraced landscape we were riding on was pre-Inca and that when the Incan's moved into the region they didn't treat the indigenous inhabitants much better than we did ours. The big difference was that they didn't have a massive technological advantage to allow a more systemic oppression of the local population. But oppress they did, until the Spanish came and oppressed them.

Now the country of Peru, a place that I did find beautiful and interesting and novel if only because it's so different from where I am and where I've ever been, is struggling with it's own current state of economic prosperity that's disproportionally benefiting the wealthy, surrounded by nations that are stagnating or in decline. There's a migrant crisis of people, mostly from Venezuela fleeing the collapse of their own economy, entering the country and politicians wanting to enact the same policies of credentialism we often see decried here in order to artificially limit the ability of foreign workers to take jobs because there's been a substantial decline in wages among professionals due to being undercut by graduates from surrounding countries. A desire to help that's tempered by an apprehensiveness over giving up what they do have, which quite frankly is a lot less than we do here. Their major industry is mining and it's slowly poisoning the countryside. The poverty they do have is a combination of income disparity and the effects of past and present dominance of Spanish colonialism over the indigenous population. Crime is one the rise. Everyone but the extremely wealthy has less, and they worry that things are getting worse and won't get better.

The problems we face aren't going to be solved by being mad about statues of white people and knocking them over. What we're experiencing is a global problem. If anything, I think that this clanging of cymbals is just another way to distract ourselves from the daunting task of finding a solution.

I do think that we do need to cast light on the wrongs of people like Sir John A Macdonald, but if that's all we do we're no better than he was.

EDIT: that's not to say that I'm any better. I'm broke brained and kinda just saying gently caress it, but I never really claim to be part of the solution, either.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 19, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tochiazuma posted:

If only this thread would talk about the right things at the right time, it would certainly solve many problems.

Just like my likes and thoughts and prayers are helping all those poor folk I hear about on social media

Maybe we could have theme days.

Trudeau Tuesday. climate change casual friday.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Powershift posted:

Maybe we could have theme days.

Trudeau Tuesday. climate change casual friday.

Weed Wednesday (actually, October 17 is a Wednesday)

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
National Mourning Monday

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Fiscal Fridays taken

Electoral reform... um.. err.. :confuoot:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everytime I have to visit my friend in Pickering I remember why i hate the subrubs. I love waiting an hour for a 12 minute bus ride that still doesn't get me close to their place.

Even with the shittyness of the TTC, it's still better than that. And now Ford wants the province to take over the TTC, because that will go really well.

Though an interesting thing for the party I was at, everyone when talking about Ford were really bitching about how he's sold out the kids to make some religious nuts happy. Some people are teachers, so yea that makes sense, but others were just parents, and they did not like it at all. The teachers also pointed out that this isn't a free move, it costs money to change courses like that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I grew up in Pickering and when I first moved to Toronto I couldn't understand my friends bitching about the TTC.

Buses coming once every 15 minutes? Buddy I grew up with buses coming once an hour and sometimes they just didn't show up.

loving hell Waterloo was a transit dream compared to Durham.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1031237715671633921?s=19

:thunk:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

I hereby officially declare the death of capitalism.

Je déclare officiellement la mort du capitalisme.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Ich verkünde hiermit offiziell den Tod der Political Correctness

- Gauleiter Maxime Bernier

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 9, 2022

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I missed the memo of Bernier becoming god king of Canada

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Heck yeah!

Let's start with KFC being called KFC everywhere in the world besides Quebec. That is political correctness gone too far. Keep big government out of my chicken.

While we're at it, keep big chicken out of my government. That means you Kenney you greasy bastard.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Anyone that holds the same views as Bernier is a loving idiot.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 9, 2022

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
do it Bernier. split the loving party

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't care what he says, so long as I can have a go at the Greeks. They invented gayness!!!

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

CBC posted:

Bell and Rogers say new rules mandating all Canadian wireless carriers sell unlocked phones have triggered a rise in phone thefts.

Eat poo poo Bell and Rogers

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Reince Penis posted:

You know, leaving the statues up and letting vandals go to town on them regularly seems like a pretty good compromise to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monuments_relating_to_the_Haymarket_affair

quote:

The Haymarket statue was vandalized with black paint on May 4, 1968, the 82nd anniversary of the Haymarket affair, following a confrontation between police and demonstrators at a protest against the Vietnam War.[5] On October 6, 1969, shortly before the "Days of Rage" protests, the statue was destroyed when a bomb was placed between its legs. Weatherman took credit for the blast, which broke nearly 100 windows in the neighborhood and scattered pieces of the statue onto the Kennedy Expressway below.[6] The statue was rebuilt and unveiled on May 4, 1970, to be blown up yet again by Weatherman on October 6, 1970.[5][6] The statue was rebuilt, again, and Mayor Richard J. Daley posted a 24‑hour police guard at the statue.[6] This guard cost $67,440 per year.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I've never seen the square but I have been to the monument in Forest Home cemetary. Emma Goldmans grave is also in the vicinity. Very cool place to drink beer and take charcoal etchings.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Testikles posted:

Ich verkünde hiermit offiziell den Tod der politischen Korrektheit

- Gauleiter Maxime Bernier

:eng101:

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Eat poo poo Bell and Rogers

Apparently they've never heard of the IMEI blacklist? :confused:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Speaking as one of the resident Albertans, I've been pissed off about the massive waste of water within the province involved in irrigation since I was old enough to know it was an issue. Rangers and agriculture that depend on sucking the bow dry to survive SHOULD die, and they should do it now, given that it'll only get worse as time goes on (and ranching (which, in Alberta, translates to beef) is a massive climate change contributer anyway, so it's either a doomed industry if we try too late to get our act together or it dooms us all faster, so gently caress those guys anyway).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 9, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't ranching dying because everyone wants to move into Oil and Gas?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I grew up in Pickering and when I first moved to Toronto I couldn't understand my friends bitching about the TTC.

Buses coming once every 15 minutes? Buddy I grew up with buses coming once an hour and sometimes they just didn't show up.

loving hell Waterloo was a transit dream compared to Durham.

Yea, I got to the Pickering go just after 1, and it was just before I saw the bus I needed. So early Saturday Evening. I waited about 40 minutes coming back along Major Oaks. NExt time I'm just going to go get the Go Bus at STC to Brock and Kingston and walk up.

Unless some delay fuckery is going either scheduled or unscheduled, TTC is rarely 15 or 20 minutes. Worst case I've ever had to wait was 40 minutes, but that was 3am on a wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Helsing posted:

there wouldn't be climate change if it wasn't for those ivory tower liberal booklearners studying it