Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Something that has been kind of nagging in the back of my mind about this manga is that it is too battle focused. Granted, this is kind of a poor reason to criticize a shounen manga running in jump, but with where the anime is right now it reminds me that these kids are supposed to be training to basically be first responders and should be getting tons of training and testing for first aid, search and rescue, fire suppression, etc. It is really bad in the arc where the anime is right now, they just finished up what basically amounted to a huge combat exercise and were supposed to be moving on to a search and rescue exercise, but they just threw in more combat right in the middle of it instead. That and getting a license and stuff like that should all be college level stuff instead of high school, but again, shounen manga.

Also the whole idea that heroes wearing hero outfits patrol the streets like police doesn't really work, how do you know someone is a licensed hero and not just some moron in a costume when there are literally tens of thousands of them? This is why the police wear uniforms and police equipment is clearly marked as such, same for firefighters, and rescue workers. Just because your superpower requires some odd piece of personal equipment like bakugo's grenade gloves doesn't mean it couldn't be colored to a "police" color and include a badge to help properly identify him as such. One thing the manga says is that only heroes can use support equipment, but even early on in the manga there was a mention that some people can have and use support equipment even without a license if it is something necessary to manage their quirk, and what about heroes that don't need or use support equipment.

I guess I'll just have to settle for "It is a good fighting manga and I enjoy reading it, just don't think about it too hard.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Aside from the college quip, I can agree with that. Like if these are your superheroes-in-training's formative years, you should... inform them, not make them punch each other. That said, my mnemonic mantra for this kinda poo poo is "ALINATA".

"At least it's not another tournament arc"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also the whole idea that heroes wearing hero outfits patrol the streets like police doesn't really work, how do you know someone is a licensed hero and not just some moron in a costume when there are literally tens of thousands of them?

they probably use crackdowns on vigilantism as a deterrent for that behavior, Gentle wasn't doing so hot even before he tried to save someone without a license but once he did the subsequent indictments and litigation burned his life down

a better question would be "how do you know someone is a villain and not just some moron in a costume," because the Hero Society's answer is "lol they're the same thing"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TBH a lot of "villains" don't even wear costumes because they're just random people who had bad days or tried to steal a purse or something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Petty criminals and supervillains are not even remotely close to the same thing. :psyduck:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Petty criminals and supervillains are not even remotely close to the same thing. :psyduck:
The very first villain shown in the series was just a guy who snatched a purse and when corned used his quirk to fight back. They're not "pro villains", but when they use their super powers to hurt people they qualify as super villains.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 18, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Tell that to Kamui Woods in chapter 1.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Heroes wear really sophisticated costumes that are illegal to supply to anyone that isn't a licensed hero. So a moron that was wearing a home made costume would be really obvious (Crawler), and someone who is wearing something they acquired off the black market would have to be sophisticated enough to find someone willing to supply that costume in the first place (the VA).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Heroes wear really sophisticated costumes that are illegal to supply to anyone that isn't a licensed hero. So a moron that was wearing a home made costume would be really obvious (Crawler), and someone who is wearing something they acquired off the black market would have to be sophisticated enough to find someone willing to supply that costume in the first place (the VA).

Yeah nobody could make a costume as sophisticated as this at home

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Meh. He has future tech neck wraps.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Meh. He has future tech neck wraps.

Nighteye just had a suit

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Andrast posted:

Nighteye just had a suit

And magic throwing stamps.

I'll admit this one is moving the goal posts bit from "costume". But it is true that poo poo like that isn't legal unless you're a hero.

But also, back to the original point, the reason everyone has cool looking designs that aren't immediately identifiable/color coded as "I'm a Hero" is it looks cool. It doesn't really need any more justification than that. That the added layer of "there are actually laws" works pretty well is just icing.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 18, 2018

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

But also, back to the original point, the reason everyone has cool looking designs that aren't immediately identifiable/color coded as "I'm a Hero" is it looks cool. It doesn't really need any more justification than that. That the added layer of "there are actually laws" works pretty well is just icing.

It's also branding. All Might has merch, Mt. Lady has a fandom, even the villains end up with a cultural presence based on their brand (both philosophical and merch based).

Even the vigilantes get into it. Sure, Crawler and Kuckleduster's costumes are mostly just disguises since they're just effectively street clothes + safety gear, but Pop has a full blooded brand associated with her and her escapades. Although I guess she's in a grey area since she was really just trying to be an idol and not a true Pro-Hero.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Crain posted:

It's also branding. All Might has merch, Mt. Lady has a fandom, even the villains end up with a cultural presence based on their brand (both philosophical and merch based).

Even the vigilantes get into it. Sure, Crawler and Kuckleduster's costumes are mostly just disguises since they're just effectively street clothes + safety gear, but Pop has a full blooded brand associated with her and her escapades. Although I guess she's in a grey area since she was really just trying to be an idol and not a true Pro-Hero.

she uses her quirk just as illegally as the crawler.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Elfgames posted:

she uses her quirk just as illegally as the crawler.

Oh right, even displaying a quirk's use is illegal, not just being a vigilante and using it for crime fighting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crain posted:

Oh right, even displaying a quirk's use is illegal, not just being a vigilante and using it for crime fighting.

What Pop Step did went a bit beyond displaying a Quirk's use; she was disrupting traffic.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This is amazing and I love them

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't believe those 3 are just ignoring Ragdoll's plight.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hate-Senpai posted:

Can't believe those 3 are just ignoring Ragdoll's plight.

Who do you think's taking the picture?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

symbolic posted:

Who do you think's taking the picture?

K- Kota?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So what's going on with this Hawk's plot? He's just playing both sides because he's bored of being number 2 and wants to change everything or is he for reals undercover?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Coffee Mugshot posted:

So what's going on with this Hawk's plot? He's just playing both sides because he's bored of being number 2 and wants to change everything or is he for reals undercover?

By all appearances it seems like he's legitimately a double agent on the side of the heroes to my knowledge.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arist posted:

By all appearances it seems like he's legitimately a double agent on the side of the heroes to my knowledge.

Yeah. He's acting as a triple agent.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I bet at some point, Dabi or someone else is going to tell Hawks about all the bad poo poo Endeavor did to his family and it's going to cause him to question his loyalties. He probably won't actually switch sides, but he'll strongly consider it.

Either that or Mirko catches him while he's meeting up with the League and accidentally exposes him.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rhonne posted:

I bet at some point, Dabi or someone else is going to tell Hawks about all the bad poo poo Endeavor did to his family and it's going to cause him to question his loyalties. He probably won't actually switch sides, but he'll strongly consider it.

Either that or Mirko catches him while he's meeting up with the League and accidentally exposes him.

Either seem plausible. Which of course now means neither of them are happening because I am so bad at predicting this story.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Why the assumption that Hawks doesn't already know everything. They kept trying to imply he was a basic prodigy with his fingers in everything at the ranking ceremony or whatever. Hawks probably knows plenty about endeavor and all the other heroes and apparently he knows a bunch about the league of villains too.

I'm asking because I in no way saw his "I want heroes to have more leisure time" as a statement that aligns him with either faction. It just sounds like he wants to accelerate the oncoming of the next three events that shape the hero and villain world, as long as he benefits from them. He talks like he's playing chess rather than desiring to save people's lives. Endeavor is a good knight piece and Dabi is a good bishop.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. He's acting as a triple agent.

No he's just a double. If he was really involved with some third party he would be a triple.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

endeavor isn't a knight, miruko is. girls got hops

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Why the assumption that Hawks doesn't already know everything. They kept trying to imply he was a basic prodigy with his fingers in everything at the ranking ceremony or whatever. Hawks probably knows plenty about endeavor and all the other heroes and apparently he knows a bunch about the league of villains too.

He seems like he's a huge Endeavor fanboy(we see flashbacks of a him as a kid with an Endeavor doll and talks about how he admires that he's the only one who ever tried to surpass All Might). I doubt he would have as much respect for the guy if he knew about all the bad poo poo that he did in his personal life.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

have we even had indication that the government knows about Endeavor's Exciting Eugenics Experiment?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

why would the government care? its not like its illegal to have multiple kids, and apparently that kind of arranged marriage used to be more common in-universe

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

MonsterEnvy posted:

No he's just a double. If he was really involved with some third party he would be a triple.

Wait, hold up, I looked this up on wikipedia

>In the field of counterintelligence, a double agent (also double secret agent) is an employee of a secret intelligence service for one country, whose primary purpose is to spy on a target organization of another country, but who, in fact, has been discovered by the target organization and is now spying on their own country's organization for the target organization.[1]
>A triple agent is an agent who has been turned into a double agent, who is then wittingly or unwittingly turned again against the rival organization or nation that initially turned them into a double agent.

So if Hawks spies on Villain Alliance, that's just Agent

Hawks spies on the villain alliance, but he's actually working WITH the villain alliance, that's Double Agent

Hawks spies on the villain alliance, but he's actually working WITH the villain alliance, who think he's a double agent, BUT he's actually still loyal to the heroes, that's Triple Agent.

It's confusing but I think 'triple agent' is accurate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crasical posted:

Wait, hold up, I looked this up on wikipedia

>In the field of counterintelligence, a double agent (also double secret agent) is an employee of a secret intelligence service for one country, whose primary purpose is to spy on a target organization of another country, but who, in fact, has been discovered by the target organization and is now spying on their own country's organization for the target organization.[1]
>A triple agent is an agent who has been turned into a double agent, who is then wittingly or unwittingly turned again against the rival organization or nation that initially turned them into a double agent.

So if Hawks spies on Villain Alliance, that's just Agent

Hawks spies on the villain alliance, but he's actually working WITH the villain alliance, that's Double Agent

Hawks spies on the villain alliance, but he's actually working WITH the villain alliance, who think he's a double agent, BUT he's actually still loyal to the heroes, that's Triple Agent.

It's confusing but I think 'triple agent' is accurate.

Thats wrong. The citation for that wiki article cites the defination which does not match what it was saying.

Dictionary posted:

"a spy pretending to serve one government while actually serving another

In this case rather then governments it's groups. He is pretending to serve the Villain Allience but actually works for the heroes.

Here is the triple agent definition as well.

Dictionary posted:

A person working as a spy for one government by pretending to work as a double agent for another government.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 19, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I'm asking because I in no way saw his "I want heroes to have more leisure time" as a statement that aligns him with either faction. It just sounds like he wants to accelerate the oncoming of the next three events that shape the hero and villain world, as long as he benefits from them. He talks like he's playing chess rather than desiring to save people's lives. Endeavor is a good knight piece and Dabi is a good bishop.

The way it's presented in the manga, I take "I want heroes to have more leisure time" as "I want us to do so well that we're not needed in the future as much as we are now". Definitely aligned with the hero faction with that interpretation.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Stexils posted:

why would the government care? its not like its illegal to have multiple kids, and apparently that kind of arranged marriage used to be more common in-universe

I mean that if the government doesn't know there's no reason to think Hawks would know, in response to this

Coffee Mugshot posted:

which feels like a pretty bad take anyway.

I think the primary narrative function of Hawks is going to be the eventual revelation of Dabi as Touya, and Hawks is going to have to decide either 'Endeavor's actions have massive consequences and Hawks becomes disillusioned in hero society' or 'Hawks ultimately believes in Endeavor's ability to change and atone (not redemption, different thing)'

For my money I'd bet the former, it's a more compelling beat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Give OFA to a dog. Best boy.

late, but also,

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

late, but also,

Ain't nothin' but

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Viridiant posted:

The way it's presented in the manga, I take "I want heroes to have more leisure time" as "I want us to do so well that we're not needed in the future as much as we are now". Definitely aligned with the hero faction with that interpretation.

Yeah it's pretty obviously this. A society where heroes can slack because it's become peaceful enough that people don't need to risk life and limb to keep things together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i been thinking something about the story for a little while and want to know if yal think its a real dumb idea

but when we inevitably get to the big battle vs the league, i have kinda thought that deku would be depowered prior to this point or immediately leading up to it. the main reason i thought so was because in terms of 1 v1 battles, shigarakis quirk is kinda... not really able to do anything vs OFA and even though this series does defy some of those common things i imagine that a battle of the "sons" will take place at the end. shigarakis quirk itself doesn't really lend itself towards any sort of big anime battle at all, really, it's just.. i win if i touch you

we've been introduced to the idea of people fighting quirkless (mirio) and being depowered already. i figured maybe deku might even pass it on out of necessity and then get hit with one of those bullets or whatever. but the main point i really had was that i can't see how they set up that final fight because deku even at like 20% should realistically be able to just blitz and blow shigaraki back pretty quickly in a 1 on 1 fight