Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

Well I've had the bike for nearly two weeks, and it's a different color now

This matte aurora pearl is a real good look. Have to do the front fender bits, and then I've got to do something about that tail UFO.

Very nice indeed. What company's vinyl did you use again? I used Orafol for my CL350 but now I want to do the Hawk as well and they don't have quite the colors I'm looking for.

A color-shift effect would be real neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Azza Bamboo posted:

Oh this is beautiful. I'd love one of these. Alas I live in the UK, so everyone would give me dirty looks for choosing this and not one of the many thousands of Bonnevilles littered about the place.

So do I! I've had no dirty looks so far, just tons of old men rubbernecking :haw:

I'm having a blast so far, it feels boring but dependable, which is exactly what I was after. Super comfortable two-up as well, there's almost no change in handling with a passenger on the back.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!

Sagebrush posted:

Very nice indeed. What company's vinyl did you use again? I used Orafol for my CL350 but now I want to do the Hawk as well and they don't have quite the colors I'm looking for.

A color-shift effect would be real neato.

KPMF, ordered through Metro Restyling. They’ve got a wide variety and the material is great; I’d be happy to use their stuff for just about anything unless you want a very stock-looking application. Might be worth looking into getting end cuts at a discount, pieces that are too small for a car but perfect for us

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Supermoto day best day

Had a sizeable lead in beginner class, then stalled it in the dirt :negative:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 12, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

Supermoto day best day

Had a sizeable lead in beginner class, then stalled it in the dirt :negative:

Bike goes in the van? :hellyeah:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too tall, so it goes on a hitch carrier. Which leaves room inside for a bed, so not so bad.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/gallery/AYzr50K
Same.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
lol gawd drat someone actually using that massive safari tank

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

I bet it’s great for Baja.

Slim Pickens posted:

Too tall, so it goes on a hitch carrier. Which leaves room inside for a bed, so not so bad.

Nice. I have a buddy with a metris who built a fold down bed in it so he can store the bike + sleep in it (barely, and in fairnsss he was in the navy so he’s used to sleeping on tiny beds) but his roof must be just a little taller.

Where do you drive/ride that?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Go big or go home, my friend. I was on the fence about the 3 or the 4, so I bought the 7. It makes sense if you don’t think about it at all.

builds character posted:

I bet it’s great for Baja.

Where do you drive/ride that?

I’m at Canyon Lake right now, I haven’t had many opportunities to ride dirt since rebuilding it and I’m also a poo poo dirt rider :shrug:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

This matte aurora pearl is a real good look. Have to do the front fender bits, and then I've got to do something about that tail UFO.

That is the exact same color as my Yamaha (guitar).

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same lacquer on everything.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took it to the mountains! Now that I'm used to the bike, it really is glorious railing through the twisties. I'm shocked something so amazing wasn't more popular.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, over and over: I think that the designers of the Hawk GT just designed a bike that they, as highly experienced motorcycle aficionados, wanted to ride. It's perfectly balanced and ideally suited for spirited riding on pretty two-lane twisty roads.

They could make the exact same bike today with the following small modifications:

- ABS brakes (maybe dual front)
- modern suspension front and rear
- 10mm wider wheels for modern tires
- fuel injection
- LED lighting all around
- my cool instrument cluster

and it would be the new perfect motorcycle.

also maybe reshape the tank a lil bit so it's not quite as much of a nutbuster

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I might be checking out the new Cb300r which sorta fits that description. Or just rebuying a cb-1 if I see one on CL. There are a couple good hawks for sale too

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been finding some trails (somehow in the city limits) and a really good dirt road with places to pull off and gently caress around in. I'm finally remembering why I bought a DRZ.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, over and over: I think that the designers of the Hawk GT just designed a bike that they, as highly experienced motorcycle aficionados, wanted to ride. It's perfectly balanced and ideally suited for spirited riding on pretty two-lane twisty roads.

They could make the exact same bike today with the following small modifications:

- fuel injection

I think honda do this with pretty much every bike they make and the ones that turn out to be dogs can presumably be blamed on the accounting/marketing departments. Other brands know they have to make choices as to what parts of the bike to devote most effort to and this defines the bike's 'strengths' and 'weaknesses' eg kawasakis always have a monumental engine but garbage suspension, ducatis look really swanky but can't survive outdoors, suzukis are super dependable but look like arse and so on.

Honda operate the opposite way: they set out to make a bike without vices, which is a much more difficult proposition. This relentless dedication to overall 'balance' of function, form and performance is often mistaken for lack of character. They won't make a bike with an awesome engine and crap suspension, they'll make one with a moderate engine and moderately good suspension so everything feels like a unified whole.

You never ride a honda and think 'wow that [component] is amazing, it's a shame the rest of the bike is so average' (aka 'character') but you also never ride a honda and think 'this would be an awesome bike if it just had better [component]'.

Deeters posted:

I've been finding some trails (somehow in the city limits) and a really good dirt road with places to pull off and gently caress around in. I'm finally remembering why I bought a DRZ.

That's a great colour!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

but you also never ride a honda and think 'this would be an awesome bike if it just had better

Not true. I always wished my VTR1000F had a regulator/rectifier that wouldn't melt every 18 months and cause weird electrical gremlins and dead batteries during it's death throes.

I mean I get that it was a big v twin and a shot across ducati's bow, but they did not need to replicate every part of the italian bike ownership experience.

Loved riding it though. Always put a smile on my face.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 15, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well now that you mention it, every (big) honda I've encountered with recurring RR issues can be fixed by simply disconnecting one of the three stator phases. You lose a little bit of charging voltage at idle, so not recommended if you like to sit idling for ages, but with the RR not having to constantly dump so much power to earth (thus turning it into heat) they don't really play up. VFR's and VTR's are particularly bad for this, I don't know why they made the stators on those things so powerful.

VTR's also have one of the best 1000cc v-twins out there IMO. They aren't mindblowingly powerful, but that creamy carbed response and suuuuper smooth torque right from down low makes them so bloody useable. Plus they don't feel like they're gonna blow the gently caress up when you're up near the redline and they don't chug like a bitch if you dare to change gear too early.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Possibly because they had huge fuckoff carbs for the era and if you're a hamfisted fuckwit, getting a vtr to start on a cold morning without appropriate use of choke and carbs that never get balanced and are weather sensitive can be tricky. I'm just guessing though, I'm not mechanically savvy. Not really sure how to explain what how what you're saying and what I'm saying are related when I'm on my work break and phone posting.

Electricity is basically magic. :corsair:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fyi the pilot jets on those are really too small even for the factory pipe, going up a couple of steps makes a huge difference, especially if the bike is high mileage or has noisy cans.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Stock cans but highish miles (50k+) and I doubt the carbs have been pulled apart since it was in the factory in 2001. My dad's problem now since he bought it off me. :haw:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm just guessing though, I'm not mechanically slavvy.

Fixed it for you :v:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Best part of the VTR is getting 30mpg with a teeny rear end gas tank. The Aprilia Falco is the better version of the VTR hand down. If you get the '02 model with the bigger tank and don't mind the MPG go for it I guess.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/gallery/ziw9xro

Over the weekend, had the DRZ400 with new dirt tires rolling through the mountains near Tortilla Flat. Strapped it to the back of the RV we just renovated.
Was a good time! I crashed like, right away. Once in the mud, because I’m an idiot, and again on a sharp downhill over some loose, large rocks. Because I’m a HUGE idiot. Shots of the gloves I was wearing included - Klims got shredded in both palms, and my whole left palm and wrist are one giant bruise, as is my left thigh, but nothing is broken. Pants / jacket / helmet all checked out. Forma ADV Lows, my feet felt nothing.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nice pics, Revvik. I wouldn't ride in my Lowes on dirt though - no ankle twist pro.

VVV That's one heck of a color scheme.

pokie fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 18, 2018

WhyNoOnePayMe
Dec 20, 2010
https://imgur.com/a/6VbXwNn

After riding around town for a year on my ATK 605 with knobby tires I began to realize how much I wanted a dedicated street bike.
So I found this really nicely cared for 2006 Sportster XL1200C with 15K miles on it. I wasn't sure if I would like the pipes
that the PO put on it but they have really grown on me. I now find the style of them very sexy and the sound, dear god the sound.
I really really like how they sound.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are really cool, never seen something quite like that.

That air intake looks a little questionable though, is there a filter element in there? What's the point of the dragster looking throttle plate thingies?

WhyNoOnePayMe
Dec 20, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Those are really cool, never seen something quite like that.

That air intake looks a little questionable though, is there a filter element in there? What's the point of the dragster looking throttle plate thingies?

Yeah the intake is a bit weird. But there is a K&N reusable air filter in there. The intake thing is called a KURYAKYN HYPERCHARGER.
The manufacturer claims...... "Large frontal opening and vacuum-operated butterflies allow for almost-unrestricted airflow to the filter
under high-load riding situations." It might be just a gimmick but the PO put it on there and it certainly looks cool.
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/910/pro-r-hypercharger

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Sagebrush posted:

- fuel injection

Basically a

A MIRACLE posted:

I might be checking out the new Cb300r which sorta fits that description. Or just rebuying a cb-1 if I see one on CL. There are a couple good hawks for sale too

That new CB1000R is beautiful, hopefully Honda will do a 650 version, otherwise, I think it just became my dream bike once I have enough money / experience.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mulligan posted:

Basically a
Nah, singles are bad. 90 degree v-twins are best and NT650 is close behind with a 45 degree v-twin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't imagine anyone who's actually ridden both a cbr300 and an nt650 would say that, they're lightyears apart. One is a super fun charming beauty of a bike and the other is an appliance made of distilled bland and premium beige extract.

WhyNoOnePayMe posted:

Yeah the intake is a bit weird. But there is a K&N reusable air filter in there. The intake thing is called a KURYAKYN HYPERCHARGER.
The manufacturer claims...... "Large frontal opening and vacuum-operated butterflies allow for almost-unrestricted airflow to the filter
under high-load riding situations." It might be just a gimmick but the PO put it on there and it certainly looks cool.

That honestly seems pretty cool, most Harleys have an absolutely terrible intake situation going on. I can't imagine there's any performance benefit but it probably sounds cool and is a lot better than a lovely exposed pod like all of them seem to have.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

WhyNoOnePayMe posted:

So, does it just suck rain into the engine or what? Looks cool as heck, though.

Sagebrush posted:

- fuel injection

I fully agree with this, as always. It's such a charming motorcycle, that is perfect in all areas. I thought the tank was a nutbuster until I got used to the bike. Now I see that it's designed so that you have room to breath when you are sitting properly.

I want your cool instrument cluster, but on the grom not the hawk. I love the analog gauges on the hawk. It just fits.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nah, singles are bad. 90 degree v-twins are best and NT650 is close behind with a 45 degree v-twin.

Yeah, I had a Honda V Twin and it was sweet. Guy I sold it to has a NT650 as well and it sounds amazing.

Speaking of singles, that Vitpilen looks and sounds sweet, but gently caress paying that much money for it, which makes the new CB1000R the closest thing design wise and the hope that a Japanese company can make something that matches the look with a reliable, quality engine.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You mean the 401? Those aren't too much more than a Duke 390 but look much better with better parts.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It costs exactly $1000 more than the already overpriced 390 Duke. Vitpilen will be $6300 before dealer fees and taxes, when it should be 5k or less.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but have you seen one in person? They're like a cgi rendering come to life. Every single little detail is sparkling perfection. The Duke 390 looks like a shed built special by comparison.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Coydog posted:

Ride my Harley in the rain? How would I ever get all the staining off my chrome?

WhyNoOnePayMe
Dec 20, 2010

Coydog posted:

Well if it did that wouldn't they call it the KURYAKYN HYDROLOCKER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

WhyNoOnePayMe posted:

Well if it did that wouldn't they call it the KURYAKYN HYDROLOCKER?

It's just water injection to keep intake temps low, breh