Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

why are you subjecting your child to advertising?

Is this some sort of performative left “all capitalist culture is advertising” thing or did you miss that I’m the one watching the pre-roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pham Nuwen posted:

yeah i just mean it would be nice to be able to write the equivalent of a shell script, ideally from off the phone, and load it into the phone.

like i acknowledge that this is something only the most demented and hosed up of computer touchers would want which is why there will never really be a mainstream device for that. but as somebody who writes shell scripts all the drat time that's something i'm comfortable with, and if i could make a button that e.g. scp'd all photos taken in the last day to my web server in an appropriately-named directory and then gave me a url i could text to people, i'd just as soon do that as gently caress around with ifttt or whatever other crap

adb tools gives you a shell I think. I don't know if you can run it locally without root though. Also, TorrentSync/ResiloSync can folders on your local network.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

butt dickus posted:

spotify doesn't get rid of ads on youtube

ublock origin does that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Plank Walker posted:

but if i go to redtube.com/you it's anything but premium

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fart simpson posted:

ublock origin does that

at least every other video i play on my phone is preceded by an ad

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

elmer chud posted:

Google play music was abandoned garbage and YouTube music has one of the worst user experiences available. Just use spotify.

gpm was/is fine its got some ux weirdness here and there but it works well enough

ytm tho is astoundingly bad. ive read horror stories about some microsoft products that might be worse but ive never personally used them so i cant know that they are (tho i believe it) but ytm might be the worst paid for product ive ever actually used. i know google doesnt release finished products and perpetual betas and all that but i cant imagine what led them to actually announce gpm going away and announcing that ytm has a new app and everyone should try it when its in the state it is. i mean it was around before so why direct anyone to it when it so obviously doesnt work?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

flakeloaf posted:

at least every other video i play on my phone is preceded by an ad

oh idk i don’t watch YouTube in my phone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it is bad and i don't recommend doing it

LastInLine posted:

ytm tho is astoundingly bad. ive read horror stories about some microsoft products that might be worse but ive never personally used them so i cant know that they are (tho i believe it) but ytm might be the worst paid for product ive ever actually used. i know google doesnt release finished products and perpetual betas and all that but i cant imagine what led them to actually announce gpm going away and announcing that ytm has a new app and everyone should try it when its in the state it is. i mean it was around before so why direct anyone to it when it so obviously doesnt work?

testing is expensive so you get other people to pay you for the privilege of doing it

ShadowHawk posted:

It seems YOSPOS has removed the "no poors" rule

:what:

this thread is about renowned good software maker google, the maker and maintainer of finished, working things that our experience tells us we should definitely be paying to use

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'm so glad I'm grandfathered in for the family plan for GPM that includes YouTube Red

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rapeface posted:

I'm so glad I'm grandfathered in for the family plan for GPM that includes YouTube Red

im happy for you too, *squints* rapeface

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"no poors" was not the rule, "don't complain about being a poor" was

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

i know google doesnt release finished products and perpetual betas and all that but i cant imagine what led them to actually announce gpm going away and announcing that ytm has a new app and everyone should try it when its in the state it is. i mean it was around before so why direct anyone to it when it so obviously doesnt work?

you get bonuses and promotions by shipping a product. apparently google has no management oversight to be able to say if a product is actually ready to ship, so gently caress it, just ship.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or indeed if a product has any reason to exist at all

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

you get bonuses and promotions by shipping a product. apparently google has no management oversight to be able to say if a product is actually ready to ship, so gently caress it, just ship.

Consider too the possibility that they do and imagine the ones that don't make the grade. :gonk:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Consider too the possibility that they do and imagine the ones that don't make the grade. :gonk:

i saw an ad today oh boy
about a google app that made the grade
a lot of people sent them cash
and then the server crashed
i saw them slowly turn back

devs swam in pools of plastic balls
they didn't notice that the market changed
new app ideas filled their heads
they're off their adderall
when they shut it off nobody really seemed surprised at all

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 17, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

i saw an ad today oh boy
about a google app that made the grade
a lot of people sent them cash
and then the server crashed
i saw them slowly turn back

devs swam in pools of plastic balls
they didn't notice that the market changed
new app ideas filled their heads
they're off their adderall
when they shut it off nobody really seemed surprised at all

These lyrics are a poor match to the tune of "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

:sympathy:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

ublock origin does that

this stopped working for me a while ago idk what's up w/it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

like the nexus q?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Is this some sort of performative left “all capitalist culture is advertising” thing or did you miss that I’m the one watching the pre-roll?

it's a question about why you or anyone you know is being subjected to advertising, a thing which has zero benefits and many downsides

please block ads

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's morally and ethically correct to block ads

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endless Mike posted:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
re advert with spooky spiders: tell them to stop being a pussy

re youtube in the background: use this https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-player-for-youtube/id1058774427?mt=8

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The only defense against a bad ad with a link is a good ad with a link

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:confused:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

sir this is a google thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Endless Mike posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ShadowHawk posted:

The only defense against a bad ad with a link is a good ad with a link

this is straight up gibberish

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

this stopped working for me a while ago idk what's up w/it

works 4 me. maybe go into the settings and manually update the filters. also:

Endless Mike posted:

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 18, 2018

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

this is straight up gibberish

Well, so is the original.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

YouTube Music cannot sort albums any other way than recently added.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Doom Mathematic posted:

Well, so is the original.

oh poo poo lol :doh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

YouTube Music cannot sort albums any other way than recently added.

thats not entirely fair its far more true to point out that you cant sort any list of any kind anywhere at all. do you have a playlist? its in the order you made it and thats it

there arent even headers to tell you what the fields are so at least theres not the ui confusion where the user could click on it and wonder why it doesnt sort by that heading like every list on a computer has done for the last thirty years so i guess they dodged that bullet

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LastInLine posted:

thats not entirely fair its far more true to point out that you cant sort any list of any kind anywhere at all. do you have a playlist? its in the order you made it and thats it

there arent even headers to tell you what the fields are so at least theres not the ui confusion where the user could click on it and wonder why it doesnt sort by that heading like every list on a computer has done for the last thirty years so i guess they dodged that bullet

clean minimalist design

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

clean minimalist design

the best part of that is that the videos they use to fill in the gaps of the music library dont have accurate metadata so sometimes the track title is actually "artist - song" and the artist is blank or vice versa meaning sorting wouldnt work regardless because of the broken tags polluting the entire service

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

spotify: our mobile app only shows you five songs from the artist you searched, and there is no way to get a list of them all

google: hold my lacroix

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

why are the uis so bad on all of these

is tidal any better? at least they have an apple tv app

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

bring back rdio

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

deezer's ui remains excellent but their shuffling is garbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the fact that you can like songs on Spotify in some modes but not in others is maddening.

• Locked thread