Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

psydude posted:

The really hosed up part that isn't getting as much coverage as Brennan is that they're going to revoke the clearance of a career DoJ employee because of a right wing conspiracy theory.

I had a family member tell me yesterday that Brennan losing clearance was justified because he is a secret Muslim ("not that there's anything wrong with Islam!") and he is part of the deep state attempt to discredit and unseat "the duly elected president, which is treason". Also that he was using his government clearance "for personal gain" :lol:.

I chose to drink heavily rather than try to unpack that at family dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

All that poo poo probably doesn't matter anymore, Trump is going to blow his lid because he has a rat in the house.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1030877914059993089

Don McGahn, White House Counsel, has been talking like crazy to Mueller because of the old "cooperate with Mueller" strategy of the Trump legal team and McGahn was afraid of being railroaded for obstruction. McGahn calls Trump "King Kong" behind his back. Donnie might not even know that McGahn has been talking. Three interviews, 30 hours.

:toot:

Wow, when you view loyalty as an absolutely one-way street and throw everyone and their cousin's dog under the bus at a moment's notice people working for you might start to get paranoid? They might even start looking out for themselves instead? That's loving shocking. Who could possibly have foreseen that happening? What possible reason would he have for believing that Trump might take the "I got bad advice, it's all my lawyer's fault, I'm innocent, lock him up for betraying me" route for a defense?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

egyptian rat race posted:

I had a family member tell me yesterday that Brennan losing clearance was justified because he is a secret Muslim ("not that there's anything wrong with Islam!") and he is part of the deep state attempt to discredit and unseat "the duly elected president, which is treason". Also that he was using his government clearance "for personal gain" :lol:.

All their favorite people use their government connections for personal gain. The orange retard god has hosed over every moral imperative in the book in the pursuit of personal gain.

I'm done with my Trump loving relatives. They had a year to develop some regret for a decision that anyone with a functioning brain knew was wrong, and they're still marching lock step towards the apocalypse, so gently caress them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

egyptian rat race posted:

Lol we all need to start writing up stories and see what takes hold. Though after the pizzagate story I’m fairly sure people will believe anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pretty sure that's how the Onion started, and now reality has caught up/passed it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fallom posted:

I haven’t seen anyone try to lionize Brennan.

beware of #resistance twitter

90% of them are pretending he never did anything bad under the last president

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We're throwing away vast amounts of intelligence experience that led to amazing CIA success stories like:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We're throwing away vast amounts of intelligence experience that led to amazing CIA success stories like:
Still feel safer with the old guard than a bunch of Trumpistas with diploma mill degrees and can't speak any languages besides English, not that they speak it all that well.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The CIA has a storied history of thinking they're smarter than they are and getting in over their heads. They (OSS: cia precursor) got loving owned in WW2 jumping in behind enemy lines with radios etc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I need to read more real world spy stuff because I got through the entirety of Tim Power’s Declare without realizing Kim Philby was a real person

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The CIA has a storied history of thinking they're smarter than they are and getting in over their heads. They (OSS: cia precursor) got loving owned in WW2 jumping in behind enemy lines with radios etc

Legacy of Ashes was a pretty good read on seeing how loving retarded they are.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Follow that up with The Sword and the Shield for the KGB variety of disaster.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1030580951867248640

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Is that guy an entrepreneur, or did he get leaned on in some way to basically be a mule?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Still feel safer with the old guard than a bunch of Trumpistas with diploma mill degrees and can't speak any languages besides English, not that they speak it all that well.

Need daddy CIA to tuck you in? The CIA is the CIA regardless of who is in charge. Who cares about them speaking second languages anyway? Like I guess if you were hiring a person and they were in all ways equal that might tip it, but it’s sort of elitist on its face.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

Is that guy an entrepreneur, or did he get leaned on in some way to basically be a mule?

It's called a retirement plan

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fallom posted:

I need to read more real world spy stuff because I got through the entirety of Tim Power’s Declare without realizing Kim Philby was a real person

That whole group from Cambridge is an interesting story. Guy Burgess, Donald McClean, Anthony Blunt. Can't remember the 5th, Cairncross?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Need daddy CIA to tuck you in? The CIA is the CIA regardless of who is in charge. Who cares about them speaking second languages anyway? Like I guess if you were hiring a person and they were in all ways equal that might tip it, but it’s sort of elitist on its face.

I really like reading books about spy agencies and I can’t remember one history, or memoir of someone in charge that ended up any way but “we didn’t know what the gently caress we were doing! But the next generation will be better.”

They never are. MI6 hold a special place in my British heart for being shite, visiting an exhibition with the the “spy rock” in the Estonian spy museum was loving funny.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

maffew buildings posted:

Follow that up with The Sword and the Shield for the KGB variety of disaster.

Oleg Gordievsky was a KGB defector who wrote three books about how kooky they were in the 80s under Andropov as well.

e: "KGB: The Untold Story," "Comrade Kryuchkov's Instructions," and "More Instructions from the Center" for anyone who cares.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 18, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

Oleg Gordievsky was a KGB defector who wrote three books about how kooky they were in the 80s under Andropov as well.

e: "KGB: The Untold Story," "Comrade Kryuchkov's Instructions," and "More Instructions from the Center" for anyone who cares.

Thanks. I'll read up on them as well

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I always wonder if the USSR had diverted 25% of their internal pogrom efforts towards the Cold War how things would have turned out

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

kinda random and not sure if it’s borderline conspiracy poo poo but didn’t Putin rise to power by burning down some apartment buildings and killing a bunch of Russians?

lol title of second google hit: None Dare Call It a Conspiracy

https://www.gq.com/story/moscow-bombings-mikhail-trepashkin-and-putin

I haven’t read much into it but I also hardly see it mentioned.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't wait until high school history books saddle obama with the blame for Katrina like they're already trying to do (go Texas!)

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

kinda random and not sure if it’s borderline conspiracy poo poo but didn’t Putin rise to power by burning down some apartment buildings and killing a bunch of Russians?

lol title of second google hit: None Dare Call It a Conspiracy

https://www.gq.com/story/moscow-bombings-mikhail-trepashkin-and-putin

I haven’t read much into it but I also hardly see it mentioned.

I generally discount false flag attacks as a bunch of bullshit but this one has a fuckton of evidence behind it. Most notably that the guy who got poisoned by Polonium taped a meeting between himself and Putin where he threatened to reveal what really happened to those apartment buildings, and Putin's answer was a long, awkward silence. Also I believe the compound that blew them up is only manufactured in one factory in Russia which is controlled by the Russian military.

There's all sorts of conflicting information about it, but it's one of the few "false flag" narratives worth looking into and that many Russians and intelligence agencies believe.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't wait until high school history books saddle obama with the blame for Katrina like they're already trying to do (go Texas!)

what

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Oh also the Speaker of the Duma said "I've just received word of another bombing that happened in Volgodonsk." Oopsie, Volgodonsk wasn't bombed until 3 days after that Duma session. Local police also found another bomb, disarmed it, and arrested 3 of the bombers that same week in Ryazan only to find that those 3 "bombers" were FSB agents and it was allegedly a "training exercise" or some bullshit like that. There was a Russian commission to investigate what happened in those bombings but two of its members were assassinated and the commission's lawyer was arrested.

Jesus, reading further into it, one guy called the police because he realized he was being set up, as a former FSB agent had rented 4 basements from him for "storage", and 2 of the basements detonated, and when police raided the basements the remaining 2 they found more bombs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Truly a country we want to be friends with.

gently caress Russia, gently caress them to death

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Need daddy CIA to tuck you in? The CIA is the CIA regardless of who is in charge. Who cares about them speaking second languages anyway? Like I guess if you were hiring a person and they were in all ways equal that might tip it, but its sort of elitist on its face.

Yeah why would a HUMINT collector need to be able to speak anything other than English I'm just absolutely baffled

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah why would a HUMINT collector need to be able to speak anything other than English I'm just absolutely baffled
Can't you see?!? There's no daylight at all between a naive CIA analyst who actually went to decent school, and a Trump cultist whose education mostly involves 100% belief in forwarded emails.

The CIA fucks up a lot but it could be soooo much worse if the place got filled with true believers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It was really poorly worded but some conservatives are pushing the idea that obama was president during katrina. The textbook thing is because I loving hate Texas and they used to (and probably still do) have the country by the balls when it comes to primary education textbooks. In short, reality need not apply

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CHUDs have tried to blame at the time state senator Obama for the Iraq War. These are not smart people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Listen, you don't want an organization like the CIA to be elite, do you!?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fallom posted:

Listen, you don't want an organization like the CIA to be elite, do you!?
Look pal. We're giving the country back to the forgotten man, and the forgotten man can't find Bahrain on a map. MAGA!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Casimir Radon posted:

CHUDs have tried to blame at the time state senator Obama for the Iraq War. These are not smart people.

Giuliani also said there were no successful terrorist attacks till Obama came along.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

As Nero Danced posted:

Giuliani also said there were no successful terrorist attacks till Obama came along.

The best people

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

The best people

He had just finished talking about 9/11 when he said that, too.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

McNally posted:

The best people.

I can’t wait for the perp walk for all of them

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McNally posted:

I WAS THE ONLY HERO THERE WERE NO OTHERS!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

McNally posted:

To be fair, that was every sentence out of his mouth till Trump hired him to make a fool of himself on tv (with his work experience, he was the perfect choice).

edit:

Viva Miriya posted:

Thanks. I'll read up on them as well

Start with KGB (it's a big loving book though) and Comrade Kryuchkov, the other book is really short and more like an addendum and sure as hell isn't worth what it's going for on amazon.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Speaking of spy books, have any of you read this: https://www.amazon.com/Billion-Dollar-Spy-Espionage-Betrayal/dp/0345805976

(gently caress Ames, gently caress traitors )

• Locked thread