Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BIG DATA
MORE DATA
DATA = MONEY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

RocketSurgeon posted:

Lindelof is not in any shape or form "good". Not even passable.

Nah even the most strident haters of Lindelof would admit that The Leftovers is absolutely fantastic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder what most people are more familiar with? I like both versions though I prefer the squid monster.

There's no way the squid monster wont be a big thing the show is working towards.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

got any sevens posted:

BIG DATA
MORE DATA
but enough about the Old Picard Adventures

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I prefer the squid because it's the sexiest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I prefer the squid because it's the sexiest.
It's also an admission that psychics/espers exist in the world regardless of Big Blue's godhead.

Which kind of comes out of left field for everyone thinking it's whoah much verisimulitude real world stuff.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean in the 70s and well into the 80s psychic phenomenon and parapsychology were taken very seriously by the mainstream and even some of academia so to a lot of people psychic powers were just something that probably existed in real life and not something fantasical or supernatural.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean in the 70s and well into the 80s psychic phenomenon and parapsychology were taken very seriously by the mainstream and even some of academia so to a lot of people psychic powers were just something that probably existed in real life and not something fantasical or supernatural.
People also believed in Roswell greys, but having The Day The World Stood Still as the climax would have still be fantastical.
But you're right in saying that tapped into that Mysteries of the Unknown crowd. I overlooked the author being a SnakeGod disciple.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, or it's a quote from the end of the comic book.

Also turns out shelved Kevin Spacey project "The Billionaires Boys Club" got a quiet release and made a grand total of $126 on Friday in 10 theaters.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

FilthyImp posted:

People also believed in Roswell greys, but having The Day The World Stood Still as the climax would have still be fantastical.
But you're right in saying that tapped into that Mysteries of the Unknown crowd. I overlooked the author being a SnakeGod disciple.

This is only tangentially related (although it ties into the squid false flag attack in Watchmen) but I'll never forget one evening years ago leaving work, getting into my car, turning on the radio to the tail end of Fresh Air, and being treated to Terri Gross interviewing a woman who, I realized with slowly dawning horror, had written a book in which she claimed that the Roswell incident was in fact the end result of a Soviet plot in which the bodies of three children who had been subjected to horrific mutilation via radiation exposure and surgery were stuffed into aircraft dummied up to resembled a flying saucer and launched at the continental United States in order to cause some kind of cultural panic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

porfiria posted:

This is only tangentially related (although it ties into the squid false flag attack in Watchmen) but I'll never forget one evening years ago leaving work, getting into my car, turning on the radio to the tail end of Fresh Air, and being treated to Terri Gross interviewing a woman who, I realized with slowly dawning horror, had written a book in which she claimed that the Roswell incident was in fact the end result of a Soviet plot in which the bodies of three children who had been subjected to horrific mutilation via radiation exposure and surgery were stuffed into aircraft dummied up to resembled a flying saucer and launched at the continental United States in order to cause some kind of cultural panic.

Same, but it was when she appeared on The Daily Show. The book was Area 51 and it was all debunked less than a month after it was published.

ed: Apparently she wrote two more poorly-sourced books afterward on DARPA and Project Paperclip. She’s currently writing a book on ESP and Telekinesis and AMC has optioned Area 51 for a tv show.
:ughh:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 18, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same, but it was when she appeared on The Daily Show.

The book was Area 51 and it was all debunked less than a month after it was published.

Just hearing an (apparently) sane woman on a respected NPR program discuss Mengele being ordered by Joseph Stalin to deform children's bodies into bizarre forms produced a kind of momentary frisson you almost never get as an adult.

According to Wikipedia her subsequent book was nominated for a Pulitzer!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

porfiria posted:

You say "launched," but what I'm envision is this giant mechanical arm frisbee tossing the saucer from Siberia into New Mexico.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Crazy Rich Asians was way better than I expected. They did seem to have shanghaied every working Asian actor from both America and Britain, plus at least a few youtube stars.

Ken Jeong and Jimmy O Yang are essentially playing their characters from Community and Silicon Valley.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same, but it was when she appeared on The Daily Show. The book was Area 51 and it was all debunked less than a month after it was published.

ed: Apparently she wrote two more poorly-sourced books afterward on DARPA and Project Paperclip. She’s currently writing a book on ESP and Telekinesis and AMC has optioned Area 51 for a tv show.
:ughh:

Do you have a link to the debunking? Not that I don't believe it's all bullshit but both sides did crazy, stupid poo poo during the cold war and nothing is coming up when I search Google for it being bullshit.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Billionaire Boys Club (which made the bold decision to not replace Kevin Spacey) got dumped in 10 random theaters with no advertising and made $126 total on Friday. It's already on VOD, but still...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-kevin-spaceys-billionaire-boys-club-earns-126-friday-1135816

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Do you have a link to the debunking? Not that I don't believe it's all bullshit but both sides did crazy, stupid poo poo during the cold war and nothing is coming up when I search Google for it being bullshit.

Debunk may have been the wrong term, but essentially her research is deeply flawed because it all depends on one anonymous source who can’t be verified and who’s story conflicts with the one given in the book. The book also contains loads of basic factual errors that should have been caught by Jacobsen during her research. There were a bunch of contemporary reviews on science and space sites that pointed this out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tars Tarkas posted:

Billionaire Boys Club (which made the bold decision to not replace Kevin Spacey) got dumped in 10 random theaters with no advertising and made $126 total on Friday. It's already on VOD, but still...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-kevin-spaceys-billionaire-boys-club-earns-126-friday-1135816

I saw an ad on Youtube something like three months ago and that was it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Three Muscle Animals would be a bitchin movie.

Isnt this pain and gain?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thundercracker posted:

Crazy Rich Asians was way better than I expected. They did seem to have shanghaied every working Asian actor from both America and Britain, plus at least a few youtube stars.

Ken Jeong and Jimmy O Yang are essentially playing their characters from Community and Silicon Valley.

Is Freddie Wong in there?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tars Tarkas posted:

They didn't recast him because movie was completed like 2 years ago and had been sitting on the shelf ever since then for whatever reason, (most likely "it's bad,") long before the "Spacey is a brutal rapist" news broke. I'm guessing that the theatrical release was contractually mandated.

I think it's a notable film just for getting Ansel Elgort and Taron Egerton - two improbably named men who share the same father, A Bag of Scrabble Tiles - in the same production.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The book was Area 51 and it was all debunked less than a month after it was published.

I remember picking this up from the library and on like page 10 I was cracking up. It was totally obvious bullshit, I'm amazed it was ever taken seriously.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I remember picking this up from the library and on like page 10 I was cracking up. It was totally obvious bullshit, I'm amazed it was ever taken seriously.

I'm still amazed that the ultra-fake masterwork that made millions of want-to-believers realize everything ever related to UFOs and Area 51 ever written was bullshit that is ALIEN AUTOPSY: FACT OR FICTION aired on Fox in 1995 yet that Area 51 book still got published years later.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Is Freddie Wong in there?

This is the first Asian movie in centuries to contain neither guns nor gong fu

So no

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo, they're actually running a big promo campaign for The Happytime Murders here in my city. After reading about the script online for years and years and years it's really weird to see it actually turning up in the real world:

I've also started seeing posters for the Slenderman movie (mostly pasted up under bridges and underpasses oddly enough) and seeing something that started here on SA also escaping into the real world is also freakin' bizarre.

porfiria posted:

LOL she stole that idea from Quatermass and the Pit where the army dismisses the discovery of buried alien corpses as a holdover WW2 Nazi hoax.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I want to work at Area 51. I want to know all the secret space secrets.

I want to get killed in a laser rifle shootout.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gonz posted:

You might get tentacleprobed instead.

But wasn't A51 just spy plane cold war poo poo? Like they tested the Blackbird there or something?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gonz posted:

"Gonz do not stick your dick in the alien"

*Gonz begins wiping the floors. Looks around for witnesses. Sticks dick in alien. Gets tentacle up the rear end*

"he fell for it, just like the others, just as planned. Johnson record this"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

You might get tentacleprobed instead.

But wasn't A51 just spy plane cold war poo poo? Like they tested the Blackbird there or something?

Yeah, Groom Lake was/is the development site and proving ground for defense contractor projects. The SR-71 was one of the major projects, as was the B-2 and F-117 Nighthawk.

People just started losing their poo poo when they began seeing superfast delta-shaped aircraft taking to the skies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

*Gonz begins wiping the floors. Looks around for witnesses. Sticks dick in alien. Gets tentacle up the rear end*

My brain shall be uploaded to the facility mainframe, where it will exist amongst the others.

Digital immortality! It’ll be just like Virtuosity.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

The Shape of Gonz

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

That’s dulce base.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

That’s dulce base.

That’s what Philip Schneider WANTED us to think!

Also, this would be a good time to link to the Dulce Base episodes of Last Podcast on the Left.

Episode 187: The Dulce Facility Part I - Pronounced Kkhhah-sshh-fahsh-sst

Episode 188: Dulce Part Two - Serious Business Mode

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those will be my work podcasts for tomorrow.

I fuckin want to make a dulce base movie so tucking bad it’s not even funny. It would make such a sick concept too. Nightmare Hall is primo cinematic horror territory that I’m surprised hasn’t been done yet.

Yes I know about project umbra.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Believe in your dreams. You, too, can achieve MAJESTIC level clearance.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That always reminds me of the cross-media game called Majestic that came out in 2001.

I was part of a 2 week intro/beta, and i believe it was one of the early episodic/continuous development projects, because the full game included a subscription that would let you access further chapters. Wiki says it was an ARG, and yeah that seems like a better descriptor.

It was some basic top secret government illuminati poo poo that gets unraveled after a suspicious death, but it used your personal information to blur the lines between the game and stuff. Like you could give them your home line, cell, fax, email and IM account info and you'd randomly get a call or fax from The Game to move your story along. Chat bots would be mixed into these little IM groups to keep you guessing whether you were talking to a person or not.

The plan was for a long-form set of seasons to develop and unravel the mystery, but again this launched like spring/summer of 2001 and by September/October, no one was real interested in continuing it.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 19, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Im kinda curious if an MJ12 type game could be sustained in 2018 considering they didnt have facebook then

maybe not as a 50 dollar let alone subscribtion game model. I don't know throw some ads in there or something

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

The cast list for this (though no word on the roles they'll play) has also been announced, with Regina King playing the lead. Here's the full list.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

Believe in your dreams. You, too, can achieve MAJESTIC level clearance.

What is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
an insane person's brain