Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Skynet's earliest Terminator models were... lackluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
You say that, but if they programmed that thing to stop dead and rotate its head to the camera, I would have loving died on the spot.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So is this from somebody's CG reel or is it viral marketing for a movie?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Google Chappie, OP

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The visible ribs and spine at the back after it passes are a nice creepy touch

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Crime on a Dime posted:

Google Chappie, OP

I liked District 9, but I've heard bad things about Chappie.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Lurking Haro posted:

I liked District 9, but I've heard bad things about Chappie.

Chappie is basically District 9 DLC

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Chappie is hilarious and should be enjoyed as a comedy.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Chappie is hilarious and should be enjoyed as a comedy.

So it's a lost Short Circuit sequel?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Not Operator posted:

You say that, but if they programmed that thing to stop dead and rotate its head to the camera, I would have loving died on the spot.

Paint it mottled brown/gray, put red LEDs in the eye sockets, and set it loose in a haunted house. Many pants would be shat.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Looks like an OATS thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Yup, it's also a free asset on the unity store front, so anyone can mess with it

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

There’s a Titus Kaphar exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery in DC, and I ended up staring at these in a mix of awe and horror. I only snapped pictures of a few.

What’s creepy about them?
They’re old lynching postcards with the victim edited out

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lurking Haro posted:

It's from Oats Studios

https://youtu.be/GXI0l3yqBrA

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I'm torn between seeing an underwater scene or something from Dark Crystal.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

HIGH FIVES! :D

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The hyfivacinth.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

What’s creepy about them?
They’re old lynching postcards with the victim edited out

Didn't need the spoiler, it's striking how you can tell from the poses and expressions alone.

What's the context for the last one? Kind of hosed to see guys in uniform.

e: after a reverse GIS it seems they're indeed soldiers

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lynchings weren't really seen as all that bad back in the day. If you were the wrong race in the wrong place then authority figures as well as civilians could get away with killing you. A lots changed since then. Now that's only a right we extend to our sworn police officers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Phlegmish posted:

Didn't need the spoiler, it's striking how you can tell from the poses and expressions alone.

What's the context for the last one? Kind of hosed to see guys in uniform.

e: after a reverse GIS it seems they're indeed soldiers

Yeah same. I just kinda assumed this was the pre-lynching pictures as there wasn't anyone hanging at the moment. There's just...something about the way they look where if you've seen lynching pictures, you just know.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/bU9PGc4.mp4

Yep, spiders.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Yep, spiders.

Worse, dropspiders. :gonk:

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I’ve had a really bad fly problem in my apartment this summer and would welcome at least a dozen spiders, but that’s 1000x too many. Especially when they’re falling in huge clumps onto your head.

andrhars
Dec 19, 2011
I feel like they're on me...are they on me?!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't normally mind a couple spiders hanging around, but at that point, I think you're just hanging around them, and should probably get your own place.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I mean, I know it's not likely to change anyone's opinion here, but those are almost certainly harvestmen, aka grandaddy-longlegs. That means they're not venomous, not aggressive, and save for a couple of species that have tiny barbs on their legs that might be slightly irritating, the worst they can do is nip you, which will likely not even break the skin. And really, they won't even do that unless they're restrained, and even THEN most species will preferentially drop a leg and run away.

Chelicerates (the larger classification to which harvestmen and spiders both belong to, as well as horseshoe crabs), they're pretty cool y'all, even if they are often creepy. Cellar spiders, jumping spiders, and harvestmen I particularly tolerate, because through competition or direct predation they help to keep most other bug populations down. Some harvestmen just, you know, also happen to like swarming for communal safety. So, you know, if you hated that video clip, you're going to loving LOATHE these ones! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNAk6oIKAjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk0_ui0KTNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAdwB-1vvWM

NSFW for loud bad music choices and someone getting a shitload of harmless leggy gits dropped on their face.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Opiliones, not spiders. No fangs or venom.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Harvestmen are cool and good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thanks for distracting me from the lynchings. Those made my stomach churn.
These guys? Not so much. Like, what would it feel like to just stick your face right in one of those piles and take a bite?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

These guys? Not so much. Like, what would it feel like to just stick your face right in one of those piles and take a bite?

you first

no, I insist :angel:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aleph Null posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Harvestmen are well known for being chemically protected. They exude strongly-odored secretions from their scent glands, called ozopores,[21][23][28][35][54] that act as a shield against predators; this is the most effective defense they use which creates a strong and unpleasant taste.[51] These secretions have successfully protected the harvestmen against wandering spiders (Ctenidae),[15][16] wolf spiders (Lycosidae) and Formica exsectoides ants.[20] However, these chemical irritants are not able to prevent four species of harvestmen being predated by the black scorpion Bothriurus bonariensis (Bothriuridae).[17] These secretions contain multiple volatile compounds that vary among individuals and clades.[55][56][57]

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Reading that made me realize that I know what a daddy longlegs tastes like because I was a stupid child. It’s a very weird flavour to suddenly remember after not thinking about for over 25 years but the memory is definitely there.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Metaline posted:

Reading that made me realize that I know what a daddy longlegs tastes like because I was a stupid child. It’s a very weird flavour to suddenly remember after not thinking about for over 25 years but the memory is definitely there.

Black ants are spicy and grasshoppers and earthworms have no taste.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
Daddy Longlegs and real spiders are cool individually and I will let them live in my house so they can eat all the other bugs I hate. Spiders that stick around long enough might even get named.

I would absolutely not be cool with a giant loving pile of them.

I also just realized that Daddy Longlegs is a really loving weird name for these creatures.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m cool with spiders unless they try and crawl in my mouth.

Sorry bro but you got to go

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

salty fries make me cry posted:

I also just realized that Daddy Longlegs is a really loving weird name for these creatures.

https://twitter.com/PhilipNByrne/status/912188990920495104

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

We Know Catheters posted:

Black ants are spicy and grasshoppers and earthworms have no taste.

Ive eaten cricket before and while they have no taste they absolutely have a unusual texture, I think grasshopper would be the same no?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXyRVQN70U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

salty fries make me cry posted:

Daddy Longlegs and real spiders are cool individually and I will let them live in my house so they can eat all the other bugs I hate.

After a previously never recorded hot summer here in the UK, I just closed my living room windows yesterday for the first time in about 4 or 5 months.

Big bay window, either side closed fine, then the upper middle part that opens out horizontally had a cobweb that basically acted like a screen across the entire 4x1ft opening of the window.

This web was absolutely full of little flies and moths. Some wrapped up, some just empty carcasses.

I want to meet the spider(s) that made that web and shake their paw.

Yes spiders have paws. And if imgur was working right now i'd post some spider paws here.