Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't mind character dumps in One Piece because the nature of the story structure means they're a largely temporary fixture so if they're not working out they'll be dropped eventually.

The reason character bloat was a problem in something like Bleach is that every loving character had to be brought along to everything because the world was incredibly small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm rereading Dressrosa right now, and the first half at the very least is stupendous, easily one of my favourite arcs (or part of one). A whole new land and story with an enormous new cast, plus returning characters and major long term story threads, all crashing together in one gigantic, bombastic mess. It recaptures the feeling of Sabaody nicely, but with ten times the cast size.

[edit] Remember when Bleach brought back loving Kon of all people for no reason, after like 400 chapters?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 18, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always like large batches of characters like in Dressrosa. Oda just has a way of making characters with little paneltime likable, and when he decides you're going to sympathize with or like a character, it's hard to resist. Honestly despite the huge cast of One Piece, the number of characters I actively dislike I could probably count on one hand.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I love seeing a bunch of random weirdos like in Dressrosa and Whole Cake island as long as they don't take too much time and aren't boring (looking at you Dressrosa royals)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rebecca and Kyros are the only reasons Dressrosa isn’t the best arc imo

and the birdcage too I guess

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Birdcage loving sucked

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

All the Doflamingo Family guys other than Baby 5 and Senor Pink sucked rear end

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

You take that insult to Lao G back.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't mind character dumps in One Piece because the nature of the story structure means they're a largely temporary fixture so if they're not working out they'll be dropped eventually.

The reason character bloat was a problem in something like Bleach is that every loving character had to be brought along to everything because the world was incredibly small.

Yeah Bleach every new character batch was the strongest being in the universe/you wonder where the gently caress they've been this whole time. One Piece characters live their own lives Straw Hats visit then go on their way making them showing up/leaving make much more sense.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Plutonis posted:

All the Doflamingo Family guys other than Baby 5 and Senor Pink sucked rear end

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
its weird how contentious dressrosa is. i genuinely thought it was awful overall with a lot of low points (of course, this is one piece, so it will no matter what have some awesome moments like king kong gun and senor pink) but i really disliked the entire arc for most of the time.

everything since has been, imo, utterly fantastic and wano so far is shaping up that way too - the designs and the "flow" so far have been absolutely killer

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I get the feeling Oda has been raring and ready to get to Wano already so he has this thought out quite throughly.
And is probably going to bypass his editors on 99% of how he tackles this.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

One thing that's nice about OP is that at least the power structure was defined early-ish (or maybe it's just been too many years since it was first) and hasn't changed that much. So while we're just now getting the details of the Yonko's, we were aware of their presence and weight for quite awhile– making learning the details of them super fun.

Basically, he's good at world building. And the folks he introduces don't generally interrupt that structure as much as fill-in-the-blanks, which makes it easier to go "ah, new character but they fit here".

Dressrosa introduced a lot of folks, but none of em' broke the structure, but rather just filled it out. "Ah, yeah here's all these other powerful people from other lands."

It was also a clever way to really build up to Luffy entirely incidentally getting an armada. He might not be Whitebeard level yet, but it's clear the wheels are in motion for him to punch at that weight now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I get the feeling Oda has been raring and ready to get to Wano already so he has this thought out quite throughly.

I'm pretty sure that pre-planning this arc is a big reason why it's going so fast right now, while in comparison Dressrosa being kind of a drag was probably because it wasn't nearly as heavily planned out.

That's the thing about weekly chapters, there's not nearly as much careful editing done on the whole as there is on individual parts, so the whole thing can kinda balloon out of control.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The World Inferno posted:

One thing that's nice about OP is that at least the power structure was defined early-ish (or maybe it's just been too many years since it was first) and hasn't changed that much. So while we're just now getting the details of the Yonko's, we were aware of their presence and weight for quite awhile– making learning the details of them super fun.

Basically, he's good at world building. And the folks he introduces don't generally interrupt that structure as much as fill-in-the-blanks, which makes it easier to go "ah, new character but they fit here".

Dressrosa introduced a lot of folks, but none of em' broke the structure, but rather just filled it out. "Ah, yeah here's all these other powerful people from other lands."

It was also a clever way to really build up to Luffy entirely incidentally getting an armada. He might not be Whitebeard level yet, but it's clear the wheels are in motion for him to punch at that weight now.

Funny thing about the power structure, it's a lot higher than how Oda first planned it. I remember reading an interview (or a summary of it) that originally Oda came up with just the 4 Emperors and that they essentially ruled the Grand Line, which ties into another interview with Oda saying that the whole series was planned to last 5 years at the start. Going straight from East Blue to the Grand Line to directly face the Emperors would mean that the power structure would have to be a lot lower if the pre-timeskip Straw Hats were to have a chance against the Emperors.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I"m just raring to see what Zoro finally gets to do, after not seeing him for so many years.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

alkanphel posted:

I"m just raring to see what Zoro finally gets to do, after not seeing him for so many years.

not an empty quote

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is a long shot, but my prediction is that zoro's gonna cut stuff

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
And drink and get lost. Best straw hat.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

tbp posted:

its weird how contentious dressrosa is. i genuinely thought it was awful overall with a lot of low points (of course, this is one piece, so it will no matter what have some awesome moments like king kong gun and senor pink) but i really disliked the entire arc for most of the time.

everything since has been, imo, utterly fantastic and wano so far is shaping up that way too - the designs and the "flow" so far have been absolutely killer

Did Oda start taking once a month breaks during Dressrossa or before? If during or after then its clearly helping.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Long before

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Dressrosa was doomed the moment the word birdcage was used

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At least it leads right into Zou, which is a great palette cleanser.

Where is Expect My Mom, I want to know how you're doing with nobody's favourite arc, Fishman Island.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Fishman Island was a good arc imo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'll pretty much always think well enough of Dressrosa just because I adored Law's flashback with Corazon and think it's among the strongest segments Oda's done.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrgv4K_jjTE

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'll pretty much always think well enough of Dressrosa just because I adored Law's flashback with Corazon and think it's among the strongest segments Oda's done.

Oh yeah that was a top tier moment and it's cool how it establishes Doffy to be a complete unredeemable shithead

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Dressrosa was bloated and birdcage sucked and it took a long time and there were various other small issues but on the whole I thought it was a huge super fun clusterfuck.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bad is a relative term when it comes to one piece arcs. it's impressive how consistent the series has been over 900+ chapters

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Birdcage was awful for a bunch of different reasons. The whole Zoro chasing the mountain guy thing just got boring real quick. Dressrosa was a great arc that was made a lot less great due to terrible pacing and trying to force the whole chapter 800 thing. I kinda liked Kyros and the whole reason Rebecca couldn't fight and only defended was interesting except that idea was in a comic where the female characters are hurting for quality encounters. Robin having to watch the flag guy fight was horrible.

Dressrosa had Usopp beating Sugar twice and I will never not love that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Robin could not fight because she's privvy to the Wu-Tang Secret, which is too powerful to use on a mortal man.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol if you thought oda stretched things out at the hundreds, wait til ch 1000. we're going to get chapters full of eyebrows twitching from , at a minimum, c970

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the flashbacks are almost always absurdly good points of any given arc, and yeah, law and corazon was amazing too. even fishman island, pretty much agreed upon as one of the weaker overall arcs, had the fisher tiger flashback which is... well probably my favorite in the series.

only elongated flashback i hated was luffy's after the whitebeard war. thought it was boring

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Birdcage dragged on and on, but zoro taking out pica was so incredibly goddamn badass that I'm willing to let it slide

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Still can't believe there was no synergy between the gnome with sewing powers and the big bad made of threads.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

tbp posted:

the flashbacks are almost always absurdly good points of any given arc, and yeah, law and corazon was amazing too. even fishman island, pretty much agreed upon as one of the weaker overall arcs, had the fisher tiger flashback which is... well probably my favorite in the series.

only elongated flashback i hated was luffy's after the whitebeard war. thought it was boring

you're forgetting the massive nearly volume-long flashback in the smack dab middle of luffy vs enel

I have no idea what he was thinking there

My feelings on Dressrosa are basically that all the good parts have huge caveats that make them not work for me at all. Zoro beating Pico would have been cooler if it hadn't been basically stretched out the length of the entire arc. Usopp's wacky face vs Sugar would have been better if it hadn't just been a straight up repeat of his fight with Perona.

that said I feel like Whole Cake was about as good as OP has ever been (aside from some wonky pacing with the Katakuri fight) so I'm glad it wasn't a permanent quality dip.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 20, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

U-DO Burger posted:

Birdcage dragged on and on, but zoro taking out pica was so incredibly goddamn badass that I'm willing to let it slide

zoro beating pica ruled because he looked incredibly stupid while flying through the air, he invented a strategy, then said a dumb poem before kicking his rear end in like ten seconds

it was so incredibly one piece because it was simultaneously funny, stupid, and exciting.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Blockhouse posted:

you're forgetting the massive nearly volume-long flashback in the smack dab middle of luffy vs enel

I have no idea what he was thinking there

My feelings on Dressrosa are basically that all the good parts have huge caveats that make them not work for me at all. Zoro beating Pico would have been cooler if it hadn't been basically stretched out the length of the entire arc. Usopp's wacky face vs Sugar would have been better if it hadn't just been a straight up repeat of his fight with Perona.

that said I feel like Whole Cake was about as good as OP has ever been (aside from some wonky pacing with the Katakuri fight) so I'm glad it wasn't a permanent quality dip.

As I recall the anime version of that flashback is earlier, as if it's a story being told to the Straw Hats.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

bad is a relative term when it comes to one piece arcs. it's impressive how consistent the series has been over 900+ chapters

If all one piece arcs were like Dressrosa I would stop reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm willing to cut Dressrosa slack because the first half is pretty much perfectly executed. That month of chapters where Law/Fujitora/Doflamingo hosed up an asteroid, Sabo showed up, Zoro fought an admiral, we found out Barto was a Luffy fanboy, Doflamingo straight up executed Law, Big Mom's fleet showed up and the crew was split across two islands (when the crew splitting in two was still novel) was so so exciting to read week-to-week