Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
[e] Probably belongs in the other Android thread. i hosed up the new page. fuuuuck

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

Anyone using Cricket, maybe only on Pie with a Pixel? My visual voicemail app isn't pulling up new messages, just flashing "no connectivity" at the bottom at a rapid rate. Dunno if it's because of Pie or the service itself being screwy.

The Visual Voicemail app for Cricket has been messed up for quite some time. I've had what you're describing for about two or three months now. I gave up awhile back and just use voicemail the old fashioned way :(

People have been complaining about it on Howard Forums for awhile now.

It was messed up when my pixel 2 XL was on 8.1, still messed up on 9.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone use Google's News app? I've liked getting a notification in the morning with the day's highlights, but since either the update to Pie or when I reset my phone it's stopped giving the notification. I checked the app's settings and the daily briefing is on.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

hooah posted:

Does anyone use Google's News app? I've liked getting a notification in the morning with the day's highlights, but since either the update to Pie or when I reset my phone it's stopped giving the notification. I checked the app's settings and the daily briefing is on.

I'm getting double the notifications, from the old app and the new one, so maybe I just stole yours.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Pie will prompt you after you dismiss a notification enough times to hide it. Maybe check to see if the notification permissions are enabled.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If anyone is looking for a non-rooted adblock method I just stumbled upon Blokada, a 3rd party, open source adblocker that uses the VPN service on your phone to block any requests to sites defined in the blacklists. It also can route you through many different public DNS servers if you think your ISP sniffs your traffic.

I'm using a Xiaomi phone which unsurprisingly is calling a lot of requests back to its base even when I open things like the Settings app. Obviously I can whitelist anything that gets borked.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

If anyone is looking for a non-rooted adblock method I just stumbled upon Blokada, a 3rd party, open source adblocker that uses the VPN service on your phone to block any requests to sites defined in the blacklists. It also can route you through many different public DNS servers if you think your ISP sniffs your traffic.

I'm using a Xiaomi phone which unsurprisingly is calling a lot of requests back to its base even when I open things like the Settings app. Obviously I can whitelist anything that gets borked.

How does this differ from DNS66 and NetGuard?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wow, I really hate the blue they used for sent texts in the latest Messages update.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Android finally got the blue bubbles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

elmer chud posted:

Android finally got the blue bubbles.

The floating chat bubbles have been there for ages.

e: I probably misunderstood which bubbles

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 18, 2018

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

How does this differ from DNS66 and NetGuard?

Not sure, never used them but the couple threads I saw on Reddit favored it a little more than those.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I had something come up in my feed that it had dark mode in a recent update but I don't think I've got an update or dark mode.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Not sure, never used them but the couple threads I saw on Reddit favored it a little more than those.

I tried it and the UI is a little better, easier to add single domains than dns66 along with a greater selection of default hosts files. Gonna say recommended

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Went to use Messages yesterday and it was in the new material 2 style font and had a floating reply element..and it also had a dark mode. Used it all day, today first text I get the app is back to the "old" version. Am I alone? The dark mode was actually really nice and I missed that option from textra. Can I force it to refresh into the updated app?

E: The internet says no. Reverted server side. You teases......

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 18, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Congrats on being the unwitting victim of A/B testing. No, you can't get it back because it's controlled by a random server-side switch.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
A single day of a/b testing is the most google thing I've ever heard of. Always a new bar.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody know how to gain more control over the audio of two media apps.

I generally have music running through gpm.
Sometimes when a webpage plays a sound in firefox, the music in gpm is paused or muted to make room for the sound. I want to turn that off, the only workaround I found is fully muting firefox.

I also want to turn that on for my workout timer app, or at least increase the volume. My workout timers (I use "Tabata Timer" and "Mi Fit") are a bit to silent for my taste, I would like to increase their volume relative to gpm or mute gpm while they play messages, like it happens for firefox.

Are there some settings hidden somewhere? Or some apps I can install for that?
I haven an Android One phone, on stock version 8.1.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Gaslight

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Went to use Messages yesterday and it was in the new material 2 style font and had a floating reply element..and it also had a dark mode. Used it all day, today first text I get the app is back to the "old" version. Am I alone? The dark mode was actually really nice and I missed that option from textra. Can I force it to refresh into the updated app?

E: The internet says no. Reverted server side. You teases......

I had the new update and within a day no outgoing messages would send, messages for the web was completely hosed and desyncing, and I had to wipe all data and caches and remove all updates to restore functionality.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dammit Google why are you so eternally bipolar about Dark Mode

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Google Gaslight

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I tried it and the UI is a little better, easier to add single domains than dns66 along with a greater selection of default hosts files. Gonna say recommended

Tried it on your recommendation and yes, better than DNS66 and Netguard for sure since it doesn't try to be anything other than what it is. Would also recommend.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does anyone want to rehash favorite weather apps? Weather Underground has been crashing constantly and I felt surely it must have decent competition now.

Requirements for me are a widget that shows the heat index/wind chill/Real Feel/etc temperature and that the app itself display things like wind speed and direction. Radar I can always get via another app so I'm less concerned with good work there.

I really wanted to like Dark Skies, but the app didn't show me wind speed/direction.

So far 1Weather is working OK, but it's a bit disorganized.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i've been using Weather Timeline for a million years. still works fine.

its clean, uses dark sky data if you want, 1x1 widgets

it has radar, graphs over time, 10 day, each day by hour if you drill down

edit: most of the widgets are simple "place, temp" in various sizes but it has a "detailed" widget that's 4x2 and resizable. added it real quick to show you

you change all the widget coloring so no you're not stuck on yellow or anything.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 19, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Most importantly, it has this

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

effika posted:

I really wanted to like Dark Skies, but the app didn't show me wind speed/direction.
Underneath the hourly weather info, the line where it says Temp • Feels-Like • Precip Prob can be scrolled left and right and you can select wind, dew point, etc.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh joy.

YouTube Music has reordered all of my custom-made playlists multiple times in the past week.

Even without the site or app being open.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

edit: most of the widgets are simple "place, temp" in various sizes but it has a "detailed" widget that's 4x2 and resizable. added it real quick to show you

you change all the widget coloring so no you're not stuck on yellow or anything.

Taffer posted:

Most importantly, it has this

Oooh, SOLD.

And Weather Timeline's muted, simple interface is a joy after all those chaotic poorly designed apps. (I went through at least 10 and most of them were terrible.)

nmfree posted:

Underneath the hourly weather info, the line where it says Temp • Feels-Like • Precip Prob can be scrolled left and right and you can select wind, dew point, etc.

Yeah it was fun playing around with that (UV is always nice), but I couldn't get it to show current conditions with wind. I'm probably just bad at discoverables, but if it isn't right up there with temperature at the top l wasn't going to go looking for it.

Thanks thread!

effika fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 19, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So many of those nice weather apps are poo poo outside of the US :( The data sources they use for Canada are inaccurate and flatout useless. I'm jealous, that looks nice.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It can use a bunch. Are none of these good in Canada?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

It can use a bunch. Are none of these good in Canada?

No. The good source in Canada is Environment Canada weather (weather.gc.ca) and very few apps support it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

effika posted:

Oooh, SOLD.

And Weather Timeline's muted, simple interface is a joy after all those chaotic poorly designed apps. (I went through at least 10 and most of them were terrible.)

I think that's the biggest reason I've used it for so long, it's very easy on the eyes. I'm not sure what it is with weather apps but god drat most are just visually wild.

Edit: he's the same dev that made the Twitter client Flamingo.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 19, 2018

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

So many of those nice weather apps are poo poo outside of the US :( The data sources they use for Canada are inaccurate and flatout useless. I'm jealous, that looks nice.

Have you tried emailing any of the devs? Maybe it's an easy add. tbf I don't know how app friendly the API you're wanting is though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have you tried emailing any of the devs? Maybe it's an easy add. tbf I don't know how app friendly the API you're wanting is though.

I haven't! Didn't even occur to me. I may do so, thanks for the idea.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What is the current favorite file browser that hasn't added lockscreen ads and malware yet?

Samba shares (Windows 10) & video streaming is the objective.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FunOne posted:

What is the current favorite file browser that hasn't added lockscreen ads and malware yet?

Samba shares (Windows 10) & video streaming is the objective.

Solid Explorer is working well for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Solid Explorer works well for me. I think it's like 2 bux, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I haven't! Didn't even occur to me. I may do so, thanks for the idea.

I'll warn you now that Sam Ruston isn't the most responsive developer. He keeps to himself and isn't one to reply to support requests, though he does read the bug reports and fix issues. Not saying it's a bad thing as you don't have to look long at the G+ communities set up for Flamingo and Weather Timeline to understand why, I'm just letting you know he's known broadly for his silence.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I checked their site and it looks like they don't offer an API, there are atom feeds and that's about it. Easiest thing to do in the meantime would probably be add the feed to an rss reader if you already use one or go to the mobile site and use add to desktop or download hermit lite apps and create one for the site. None of them are ideal really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Toast Museum posted:

Solid Explorer is working well for me.

It works as a local and cloud file browser, but I have not had any luck getting it to connect to my Windows 10 desktop via SMBv2. Judging by this issue I'm not the only one.