Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah I'm 0 for 2. Samsung before, now LG. We'll see how TCL does. We're rough on TVs though because my wife always has it on. I think we run up the hours more than the typical user.

Same here. At least 12-14 hours a day on downstairs, another 6 upstairs. Makes me worry about an OLED downstairs. Maybe TCL is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah I'm 0 for 2. Samsung before, now LG. We'll see how TCL does. We're rough on TVs though because my wife always has it on. I think we run up the hours more than the typical user.

I gotta think the 89 or 99 dollar insurance from squaretrade / Costco is worth it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do they sell the current, good LG OLED models at Costco yet? They have different numbers for everything and I can’t tell if it’s still 2017 stock or if it’s the new models.

Does it say B7/C7 (2017) or B8/C8 (2018) on the box? That's all you really need to know.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

sellouts posted:

I gotta think the 89 or 99 dollar insurance from squaretrade / Costco is worth it.

Probably would have been.

Two years ago.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Probably would have been.

Two years ago.

What I mean is if you like the TV the prices have come down and quality has gone up.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm leaning towards the 2018 Vizio P 55" after returning my defective TCL 65S513. Just trying to decide if I should hold out for a sale of some kind on labor day or black friday. Though the actual good TV's almost never go on sale on black friday.

I'd prefer to get it from Costco, but the P series isn't on their website, and my local one doesn't have any. Though I've seen plenty of other people got their Vizio P from Costco, so that's annoying.

Only practical other option appears to be Best Buy but their 2yr/$100 and 5yr/$190 protection plans seem like a bit of a ripoff compared to Costco, though you're not stuck dealing with mfg warranty from 90 days - 1 year period.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still never never never never never any excuse to buy a loving $1000+ TV and not get the god drat $99 warranty.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

codo27 posted:

Still never never never never never any excuse to buy a loving $1000+ TV and not get the god drat $99 warranty.

May the Gods have mercy on my soul.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

codo27 posted:

Well sure but in this case it's a $800 tv and a $189 warranty (for 5 years), which 23% seems like a bit much.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

They wouldn't offer the warranty in the first place if it wasn't statistically in their favor, that's how insurance works. By definition you can't buy warranties without ripping yourself off dollar by dollar over time.

OLED might be the only exception, because near the end of the warranty you can just leave them on a static screen 24/7 to self-destruct the panel and get a refund. LG has kinda buried the whole burn-in/burn-out thing and warranty providers aren't wise to it.

Only warranty I've ever gone for was accidental protection on a laptop I was giving to some kids in a psychiatric ward. Sure enough they smashed it to bits in 4 months and Microcenter cut me a check for the total with no hassle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Only warranty that seems to cover burn in is the Magnolia warranty and you pay quite a bit for that one.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Only warranty that seems to cover burn in is the Magnolia warranty and you pay quite a bit for that one.

Well in that case probably better to put all your money in a "money I would have spent on warranties" account and odds are you'll have enough in there to cover when things break. I removed accident protection from our 500 cell phones at work and it saved a stupid amount in the last 3 years, so much that I can keep a box of iPhones ready to go for the once a month when someone cracks one, and still have thousands left over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, I agree. The only extended warranty I will ever have is the one my credit card grants automatically.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
What’s the consensus on ordering from amazon or bestbuy.com? I might be showing my age but For some reason I feel more comfortable buying a TV in person. I’m just picturing the delivery driver Hulk tossing the TV from his van onto my steps

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ordered a tcl from amazon. Came all cracked. Send it back free, they sent a new one next day. That one works great.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

spencer for hire posted:

What’s the consensus on ordering from amazon or bestbuy.com? I might be showing my age but For some reason I feel more comfortable buying a TV in person. I’m just picturing the delivery driver Hulk tossing the TV from his van onto my steps

I've ordered my last 3 TV's online, 2 x 50" from Amazon and 1x 55" from Dell. No issue whatsoever with any of them. As far as I know all of the boxes that TV's come in are considered "shipping boxes" so you basically just get the exact same box that you'd walk out of the store with except someone brings it to your door with a shipping label on it. At least that's what's happened every time for me.

Do you generally have any issues with the delivery people in your area/to your home? If not, I'd go for it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

spencer for hire posted:

I've bought 4 tvs online and I'm 2/4 on having them damaged. The return process is painless but you just have to wait longer to get it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought the same tv twice from Walmart online with no issues on either. Some people went through 3 of the same one before they got one not smashed. Luck of the draw.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My experience it was freight shipped and they opened the box so I could inspect the screen for any damage before they left. I think they would have powered it on as well except it came in Dec. so you can't really do it safely until it acclimates.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I recently bought the TCL 55R615 and I had some 4k movies on a 2TB Hd. They were working fine, but now all of the sudden the TV doesn't see the hard drive. Any ideas? I reformatted and copied them back over to no avail. It's NTFS which I read online wasn't supported, but if thats the case why did it work before?

edit: I did more research and TCL recommended trying to hook up the USB 3.0 HD with a USB 2.0 cable. I think that may have worked although it doesn't explain why it worked before. God thats poo poo though, it's "loading" every 10 seconds. What the gently caress is the point of having the capability of streaming video if you can't handle the tech your TV can put out?

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 24, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Costco LG 70" 4K @ $999.99

Thread thoughts on this TV? I would be upgrading from a 42" 1080P LG that's served me well since 2006. I have a Denon 4K capable receiver and sub/speakers so I don't care about smartTV or speakers, just the screen/HDMI tech.

qbert posted:

Does it say B7/C7 (2017) or B8/C8 (2018) on the box? That's all you really need to know.
Is this something I need to worry about?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thread thoughts on this TV? I would be upgrading from a 42" 1080P LG that's served me well since 2006. I have a Denon 4K capable receiver and sub/speakers so I don't care about smartTV or speakers, just the screen/HDMI tech.

No because that's not oled.. just standard LCD.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BonoMan posted:

No because that's not oled.. just standard LCD.

No I shouldn't buy the TV or no that I don't need to worry about the code on the box?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

No I shouldn't buy the TV or no that I don't need to worry about the code on the box?

Whoops sorry the embedded quote didn't carry over... Those codes are referring to OLEDs so you can ignore them.

Also for that TV. That's pretty cheap for 70" so I'm assuming it's pretty barebones. It doesn't have HDR so that'd be a hard pass from me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

It doesn't have HDR so that'd be a hard pass from me.

The details actually say it does have HDR support. It also claims to support wide color gamut.

To the extent it supports either is hard to say without tests and I don't think rtings tested this model variant.

LG's LCDs have been, middling. Not terrible, but not standout either. It is a lot of inches for $1000 though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

I was replying to a question about OLED LG models at Costco. Since you linked to an LCD, my response wouldn't apply to you.

With that said, LG is known mainly for the quality of their OLEDs. I have no idea what their LCDs are like, although $1k seems CRAZY cheap for a 70", which immediately makes me suspicious of the quality of that TV. I'd do more research on that specific model before pulling the trigger, personally.

Edit: So I looked into why certain LG models are selling for so cheap, and it turns out the reason is because while the tvs are technically 4K pixel-count-wise, they actually use RGBW panels, which are considered by many to be "fake 4K" and it's really 2.8K native full color resolution.

Here's an article on what RGBW is.

If you really want to make the jump to 4K I'd consider something else.

qbert fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 24, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the feedback and research guys, I'll look for a true 4K and pass on this one.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Low-end LGs usually have poor black levels & contrast as they use IPS panels and don't have local dimming. The only plus is that they *may* have a marginally wider viewing angle than VA-panel LCDs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

The details actually say it does have HDR support. It also claims to support wide color gamut.

To the extent it supports either is hard to say without tests and I don't think rtings tested this model variant.

LG's LCDs have been, middling. Not terrible, but not standout either. It is a lot of inches for $1000 though.

Oh I read "HDR compatibility" as "it will work with an HDR signal but not actually be HDR... Aka the picture won't be black."

Turns out it's HDR10. That product page sucks!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 24, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I always thought this ghosting and poo poo was just microscopic stuff only the pros see. Then gfs mom's tv died. She likes to ask us what to do about tech then go do some dumb poo poo instead. Bought this Sanyo and.... Yeah. What an absolute garbage box. The colors look like some old floor model tv that's been sitting outside in the rain for 8 years.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There are some really lovely sets out there. On the higher end it does become harder to differentiate.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Thoughts on this TCL 65C807? https://www.amazon.com/TCL-65C807-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B071Z1QWS9/

Costco has it for $750, which is about as much as I'm willing to spend right now. Not expecting top of the line quality for that price, but from what reviews I've read online it seems to be a pretty good value.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why the gently caress can't Costco Canada stock that poo poo. (Even though I don't think any TCL have 120hz panels so I'm not interested but STILL)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Looks like Walmart is blowing out refurb'd 2017 model LG OLEDs

65" for $1600
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...type=10&veh=aff

55" for $1200
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...type=10&veh=aff

Urge to replace 60" Samsung plasma tv rising!

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

gey muckle mowser posted:

Thoughts on this TCL 65C807? https://www.amazon.com/TCL-65C807-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B071Z1QWS9/

Costco has it for $750, which is about as much as I'm willing to spend right now. Not expecting top of the line quality for that price, but from what reviews I've read online it seems to be a pretty good value.

That's last year's model.

Get the new 55p617/5 instead from Amazon/Best Buy. It's all around a better set and at least $100 cheaper.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Krailor posted:

That's last year's model.

Get the new 55p617/5 instead from Amazon/Best Buy. It's all around a better set and at least $100 cheaper.

that's also 10" smaller... it's been a long time since I've looked at TVs so I'm not up on the latest tech - what's better about the newer version? The specs look more or less the same to me. If the difference is minor I'd rather go with a larger screen.

If it matters, I do not plan on getting a UHD player but will probably be getting a PS4 Pro at some point.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

gey muckle mowser posted:

that's also 10" smaller... it's been a long time since I've looked at TVs so I'm not up on the latest tech - what's better about the newer version? The specs look more or less the same to me. If the difference is minor I'd rather go with a larger screen.

If it matters, I do not plan on getting a UHD player but will probably be getting a PS4 Pro at some point.

Sorry, I missed the 65" part. The comparable new one is the 65R617 for $100 more than the one you're looking at.

The big difference is how they're lit. The C series is edge lit so it is a little thinner but won't have as deep blacks and has worse HDR range. The R series has direct backlighting with FALD (local dimming zones) so the blacks wil be much better and offer higher range for HDR.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Krailor posted:

Sorry, I missed the 65" part. The comparable new one is the 65R617 for $100 more than the one you're looking at.

The big difference is how they're lit. The C series is edge lit so it is a little thinner but won't have as deep blacks and has worse HDR range. The R series has direct backlighting with FALD (local dimming zones) so the blacks wil be much better and offer higher range for HDR.

cool, thanks!

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I just got the 65 inch Sony 900F. What a beautiful and bright TV.

Any recommendations for a new receiver? Mine does not do HDR passthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The mid-range Denons are always a good bet. Audyssey setup is the bee's knees.

That said, I would hold off for another year or so if you could to see if HDMI 2.1 starts showing up.