Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Be incredibly wary of the authenticity of anything posted to CDaN. That place is riddled with, and pandering to, Qanon/Pizzagate level nutters. It's idiots and loons all the way down.

I wouldn't be taking it too seriously if it wasn't for the very convenient timing of the NYT piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Gum posted:

I wouldn't be taking it too seriously if it wasn't for the very convenient timing of the NYT piece

He's probably just a mess. If having your CEO give an interview crying and whining is a calculated move it's a very poor one. If they fire him they'll just release a standard statement about health reasons, time with family etc.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
On I-81 in VA today I saw a semi broken down on the shoulder with a trailer loaded with Model 3s. That's my Tesla story.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mercury Ballistic posted:

On I-81 in VA today I saw a semi broken down on the shoulder with a trailer loaded with Model 3s. That's my Tesla story.

did any spontaneously combust?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

duz posted:

If those are serious questions, he bought his founder and CEO positions after he found an EV company that needed money badly.
And obviously he'll be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

They really should have chosen John Ross Bowie.

Closer fit, cheaper, and better range.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bates posted:

He's probably just a mess. If having your CEO give an interview crying and whining is a calculated move it's a very poor one. If they fire him they'll just release a standard statement about health reasons, time with family etc.

I could totally believe that Musk is overworking himself to the point of having both a mental and physical breakdown because that sort of attitude towards work fits with all the poo poo he has been doing before. Remember when he berated workers for wanting to take a day off over minor things like Christmas or the death of a family member?

Elon is a somewhat talented and lucky man with large ambitions and he doesn’t realise that “actually don’t work more than 40 hours all the time” and “go hire some assistants to delegate daily tasks to, you’re a billionaire and can afford it” are key skills he’s bad at.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

suck my woke dick posted:

I could totally believe that Musk is overworking himself to the point of having both a mental and physical breakdown because that sort of attitude towards work fits with all the poo poo he has been doing before. Remember when he berated workers for wanting to take a day off over minor things like Christmas or the death of a family member?

Elon is a somewhat talented and lucky man with large ambitions and he doesn’t realise that “actually don’t work more than 40 hours all the time” and “go hire some assistants to delegate daily tasks to, you’re a billionaire and can afford it” are key skills he’s bad at.

Eh, that sort of thing is a flaw of American culture overall. I wonder if he's thinking that, since he's a billionaire CEO, he should act like one while failing to realize that American CEOs lie all the time about how hard they work. Silicon Valley in particular has fallen into the trap of "your job is your life and you must give us all of the hours!" Investors want soulless machines doing the work and really want to squeeze as much as they can out of tech professionals in particular because, well, a program can make gently caress loads of money without a lot of manufacturing costs once it's done but programmers are expensive.

I also wonder if he's doing a "leading by example" thing where he's trying to inspire his people to work absurdly long hours by working absurdly long hours himself. Now he's finding out why working absurdly long hours is a terrible idea.

People need rest but we have a society that views any sign of any weakness at all as a bad thing. Needing to take a day off to chill out and recharge is a Very Bad Thing as that means you aren't indestructible. Well, hey, hate to break it to you but these bags of flesh we live in have limits.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What's he talented at again? I forgot

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

unknown posted:

Tweakers grab/steal and sell in the under $500 range usually. Not generally in the $million range. That level of theft is definitely in the "truck load arrived and never unloaded but the paper said it did" range.

I prefer to think that all the employees are simply loading up their cars at the end of each day with spools of copper wiring, crates of rare earth metals and drums of industrial glue.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Getting dumbasses hyped for his garbage products

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Elon Musk is not a conventional CEO — stop expecting him to be

quote:

Elon Musk’s tweet on Tesla going private has drawn no shortage of opinions, and it will be up to federal regulators to figure out whether he overstepped his bounds.

Social media is a new frontier for financial disclosures, with the boundaries still to be demarcated.

That being said, who better to set that mold than Musk — America’s preeminent creator.

He co-created X.com, which went on to become PayPal. He was behind Solar City — cheaper solar panels for everybody. He also created SpaceX, so he’s a real-life rocket scientist who keeps sending rockets into space and bringing the reusable booster rockets back to Earth. And last week the Boring Co. announced a deal to make a 3.6-mile high-speed tunnel called Dugout Loop in Los Angeles to get fans to Dodger Stadium quickly, with zero emissions.

And of course there’s Tesla. Musk built an electric car from scratch faster than Detroit turns out new conventional models.

Musk is a genius, and perhaps the most disruptive concept designer and engineer on the planet, substantially more so than Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos, because of the breadth and complexity of the products he has successfully built.

:jerkbag:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The cult of personality around Musk even after the year he's had is pretty amazing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Last Chance posted:

1) identifying :awesome: products (or products that could be hyped as :awesome: to techies and the dumb public) which other people overlooked, 2) being able to read up on the product and guesstimate whether in principle it could be made cheaper and better. I sort of give him 3) being good at finding ways to actually disrupt (instead of investor storytime """"""""disrupt""""""") the business model of existing competitors, but after this year it looks like he's only successful at that in rockets (still waiting on tunnel boring machines lol) because there's both regulation that forces SpaceX to triple check whether insane Elon ideas will actually work before putting them into production and because the entire space sector was in an extended stagnation period due to having been little more than an excuse for pork barrel spending since the Cold War ended. In a sector where actual competition exists (cars) he ends up overextending and doing dumb poo poo because it turns out existing car factories are actually efficient at making cars and there's nobody to tell him to hold on while they check if random poo poo he just came up with will work.

He's real bad at not micromanaging, delegating, and hiring competent people to fix basic poo poo efficiently.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Elon is a somewhat talented man

he's not

also, the idea that a man who up until recently was constantly online on twitter making an rear end of himself is overworked is p laughable. if he was working he wouldn't be tweeting non-stop like he was

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 19, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

1) identifying :awesome: products (or products that could be hyped as :awesome: to techies and the dumb public) which other people overlooked, 2) being able to read up on the product and guesstimate whether in principle it could be made cheaper and better. I sort of give him 3) being good at finding ways to actually disrupt (instead of investor storytime """"""""disrupt""""""") the business model of existing competitors, but after this year it looks like he's only successful at that in rockets (still waiting on tunnel boring machines lol) because there's both regulation that forces SpaceX to triple check whether insane Elon ideas will actually work before putting them into production and because the entire space sector was in an extended stagnation period due to having been little more than an excuse for pork barrel spending since the Cold War ended. In a sector where actual competition exists (cars) he ends up overextending and doing dumb poo poo because it turns out existing car factories are actually efficient at making cars and there's nobody to tell him to hold on while they check if random poo poo he just came up with will work.

He's real bad at not micromanaging, delegating, and hiring competent people to fix basic poo poo efficiently.

2) is flat out wrong. there are cheaper and better evs on the market than the model 3

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Condiv posted:

2) is flat out wrong. there are cheaper and better evs on the market than the model 3

The early Teslas did make electric cars cool to the drooling masses when you couldn't just go buy a Chevy Bolt and expect it to not suck worse than a generic Chevy visually or functionally (see point 1), and they were actual cars that could be bought for realistic (if somewhat high) amounts of money, which is not unexpected for early adopter cars. I'm also pretty sure that in principle, if poo poo worked after being built by competent enginerds and Musk didn't micromanage it to death, the Model 3 could be way cheaper and less poo poo than it is which brings us back to the point where Elon is real poo poo at competing with competent competitors.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Condiv posted:

he's not

also, the idea that a man who up until recently was constantly online on twitter making an rear end of himself is overworked is p laughable. if he was working he wouldn't be tweeting non-stop like he was

he's overworked in the same way that japanese office workers are overworked, i.e. due to faulty expectations he spends way too much time in the office so he ends up having a sub-par private life at work too while not being productive on an hourly basis

also arguably improving the company's image could be seen as a ceo doing his job, it's just that elon is really bad at that lately

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

inheriting money

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It takes a lot of talent to earn your privilege off the back of apartheid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Rockets that land upright were a pipe dream before SpaceX. Elon broke ULA’s chokehold on spaceflight by drastically lowering costs, and continues to do so.

The dude is obviously very flawed, but to deny his talent (of which the cult of personality he cultivates is a part) and the positive impact of his relentless drive forward is idiocy of the highest order.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Spacex is built on the backs of real rocket engineers and people that know how to work on them and deal with the government regulations. It's also largely one time use limited run parts not mass produced cars. It's two widely different beasts compared to Tesla and largely not due to musk but instead the head engineer who gasp is a rocket scientist.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Rockets that land upright were a pipe dream before SpaceX. Elon broke ULA’s chokehold on spaceflight by drastically lowering costs, and continues to do so.

The dude is obviously very flawed, but to deny his talent (of which the cult of personality he cultivates is a part) and the positive impact of his relentless drive forward is idiocy of the highest order.

his only involvement with all this is literally hiring people. that's his superpower, being an employer. celebrate the actual scientists and engineers all you want, but i'm not about to glorify a loving union-busting boss because his workers do good jobs.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Spacex is built on the backs of real rocket engineers and people that know how to work on them and deal with the government regulations. It's also largely one time use limited run parts not mass produced cars. It's two widely different beasts compared to Tesla and largely not due to musk but instead the head engineer who gasp is a rocket scientist.

Musk was the head engineer at SpaceX, his role was very similar to Von Braun's during Apollo, going around and checking on the status of various departments.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The early Teslas did make electric cars cool to the drooling masses when you couldn't just go buy a Chevy Bolt and expect it to not suck worse than a generic Chevy visually or functionally (see point 1), and they were actual cars that could be bought for realistic (if somewhat high) amounts of money, which is not unexpected for early adopter cars. I'm also pretty sure that in principle, if poo poo worked after being built by competent enginerds and Musk didn't micromanage it to death, the Model 3 could be way cheaper and less poo poo than it is which brings us back to the point where Elon is real poo poo at competing with competent competitors.

Those cars weren’t available to the drooling masses, as they were luxury vehicles. Tesla did not make cheaper EVs

he's overworked in the same way that japanese office workers are overworked, i.e. due to faulty expectations he spends way too much time in the office so he ends up having a sub-par private life at work too while not being productive on an hourly basis

also arguably improving the company's image could be seen as a ceo doing his job, it's just that elon is really bad at that lately

Unlike Japanese office workers, musk is shitposting on twitter while doing LSD with his girlfriend, so no, not overworked at all. Also, really insulting that you’d compare a pampered shithead to truly exploited and overworked labor.

edit: overworked workers also do not take vanity trips to third world countries to interfere with desperate rescue operation, so please don’t try to draw that line between musk and real labor ever again

Condiv fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 19, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As far as I can tell, Tesla's main innovation was figuring out that if you make electric cars good-looking and fast, instead of gently caress ugly and slow, people will want to buy them more. Granted it doesn't seem like that big of an insight in retrospect, but apparently it was.

Frankly given the current round of electric cars from major manufacturers, I think they've learned to drop the futuristic gently caress-ugliness but they seem to be struggling with performance still, because they are concerned with having a reasonable price and practicality. I can't say they're wrong, but they'll have a hard time making a car that people really get excited about if it only drags itself to 100 km/h in 8-9 seconds.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'd like to add that the real workers at tesla are being maimed by their jobs at rates unheard of at the major car manufacturers in the US, all to produce a fraction of the cars at a fraction of the quality of the major automanufacturers. they're also told to forgo the birth of family, funerals, etc. if anyone's overworked, they are. if musk's management is the result of hard work, then he needs to give up and hand the company over to someone competent cause all he's doing is making a few hundred death traps a month at the expense of everyone around him

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1031111742103814144

quick reminder that tesla, unlike other car manufacturers, has never turned a profit

quick reminder that if musk can't keep investor story time going, tesla will go bankrupt

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

PT6A posted:

they'll have a hard time making a car that people really get excited about if it only drags itself to 100 km/h in 8-9 seconds.

My VW Gol made 100km/h in around 10 seconds (a thing that only really happened on highways by the way - 99% of the time I was driving around in a big city and never topping 40 km/h) and it was the best car I ever had, I don't know what poo poo you're on but a cheap (and I do mean cheap, i.e. around $5000 at most) electric car with decent autonomy for mostly intra-urban use would sell amazingly if we (global "we") had the proper infrastructure for them, but we don't really have it, even in the most advanced first world countries, not to the same extent as we do for gas-powered cars

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
How much was Elon involved with PayPal, like did he code for it or just pay someone else to do it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pochoclo posted:

My VW Gol made 100km/h in around 10 seconds (a thing that only really happened on highways by the way - 99% of the time I was driving around in a big city and never topping 40 km/h) and it was the best car I ever had, I don't know what poo poo you're on but a cheap (and I do mean cheap, i.e. around $5000 at most) electric car with decent autonomy for mostly intra-urban use would sell amazingly if we (global "we") had the proper infrastructure for them, but we don't really have it, even in the most advanced first world countries, not to the same extent as we do for gas-powered cars

You can easily make the argument that no one needs a car that can go 0-100 in under 10 seconds, or that most people if given a car that accelerates faster than that will not actually use the extra performance, but that ignores psychology, especially the psychology of people who like to spend a lot of money on new cars or new technology in general.

And we're not anywhere close to the point where we have cheap electric cars available. So far, they're all priced around the level of high-end normal carmakers or low-end luxury cars -- attainable for many people, no longer the province of the super-wealthy alone, but still well outside the mass market. The VW e-Golf, for example, is still more expensive than the Golf GTI.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Elon thinks he knows things about cars, that's why he's bike shedding Tesla into ruin - that's where he spends his 120 hour weeks. He know he isn't an actual rocket scientist, so he just hires smart people to actually do the stuff SpaceX does. Case in point, SpaceX routinely misses dates he announces, but they deliver crazy poo poo out of a science fiction movie (tail-landing rockets). For Tesla he produces production estimates that are so wrong the SEC is involved and produces only some of the promised produced; what product is produced might trap you in a lithium-fueled inferno. If he was spending 120 hour weeks, month after month, at SpaceX they'd have dropped a booster on a city by now.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mandatory lesbian posted:

How much was Elon involved with PayPal, like did he code for it or just pay someone else to do it

he tried to make PayPal move all its servers - not desktops, but servers - from Unix to Windows NT.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Elon thinks he knows things about cars, that's why he's bike shedding Tesla into ruin - that's where he spends his 120 hour weeks. He know he isn't an actual rocket scientist, so he just hires smart people to actually do the stuff SpaceX does. Case in point, SpaceX routinely misses dates he announces, but they deliver crazy poo poo out of a science fiction movie (tail-landing rockets). For Tesla he produces production estimates that are so wrong the SEC is involved and produces only some of the promised produced; what product is produced might trap you in a lithium-fueled inferno. If he was spending 120 hour weeks, month after month, at SpaceX they'd have dropped a booster on a city by now.

Elon needs to have all these lunatic promises about Tesla because they're the only thing keeping the company afloat. The company is hilariously in debt, has no ability to issue new debt, and burns cash like its going out of style. Its only hope to keep cash coming in the door is (a) keep up stock prices so they can issue equity and (b) collect pre-order deposits, which are basically unsecured interest-free loans. Mostly (b). The company's only hope is to survive long enough they work out all the kinks in their production lines and can actually earn the profits they're projecting, so that they can start paying down debt. To survive that long, they need new cash. So he has to keep up the crazy poo poo like announcing vaporware to collect more pre-order deposits in the hope that he can get enough cash to survive long enough.

Musk's crazy ability to spin is why a company that everyone knows is doomed has such a high stock price which is how they keep the plates spinning. Of course, it's brazen securities fraud at this point and the whole house of cards is going to collapse. It's also why he feels like he's working crazy hours because he's probably stressed out about it day and night because when it collapses he's going to be destroyed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

divabot posted:

he tried to make PayPal move all its servers - not desktops, but servers - from Unix to Windows NT.

i want to be clear, i have a literal zero knowledge of computer programming or indeed, anything about them beyond the most basic concepts

so while i think you for explaining i now need an explanation for the explanation

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Elon started x.com which was an early internet based credit card processor using his family's connections to sign deals with the credit card companies. PayPal at the time only had access to banks and wanted to expand into supporting credit cards as well. So PayPal bought x.com for a lot of money. Musk kept trying to do stupid things like the aforementioned swapping OSes so PayPal sent him on his way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Insert X-COM joke here.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i want to be clear, i have a literal zero knowledge of computer programming or indeed, anything about them beyond the most basic concepts

so while i think you for explaining i now need an explanation for the explanation

There are perfectly viable Unix-based server OSes (in fact a lot of the internet runs on them). There is also Windows Server which is a minimally acceptable OS to put on a server. Windows NT is neither, it’s trash for single user office PCs and such, and the guys working in any real IT department would revolt if someone tried to make them install desktop Windows on servers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Windows NT was absolutely trash, I can't argue with that, but it was the basis of Microsoft's OS for servers, not just workstations and embedded systems (although it was also available for those).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

There are perfectly viable Unix-based server OSes (in fact a lot of the internet runs on them). There is also Windows Server which is a minimally acceptable OS to put on a server. Windows NT is neither, it’s trash for single user office PCs and such, and the guys working in any real IT department would revolt if someone tried to make them install desktop Windows on servers.

ah, okay, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009

Windows NT was the server version of Windows (or actually one of the NT sku's was, there were also desktop sku's). Windows NT is actually the predecessor of all current Windows versions (both desktop and server).

Granted Windows NT did not have a very strong position in the server market, and it was defiantly not the safe choice, but it is also not a completely insane idea.