Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

As requested, although they are bigger these days.

a handsome cats

cats tax:

his nibs fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

...….play at that game.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

AbstractNapper posted:

I hope he does this forever. Even when it becomes clear to everyone that this is now a rotting corpse of a dead project, he should be there claiming that it's just resting.

Can someone re-enact the Dead Parrot Sketch and replace "Parrot" by "Star Citizen"?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it's just pining for bind culling

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
It's pushing up the ramp.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Look, I took the liberty of examining that gameplay when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been working in the first place was that it had been prerendered there

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Foo Diddley posted:

Look, I took the liberty of examining that gameplay when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been working in the first place was that it had been prerendered there

Do these people have no self-respect at all.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

Can someone re-enact the Dead Parrot Sketch and replace "Parrot" by "Star Citizen"?

Backer: Hello, I would like to register a refund!
CIG: ...
B: Hello, RSI?"
C: What do you mean 'RSI'?
B: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I'm here to register a refund!
C: We're closing for space court action
B: Never mind that, sir. I'm here to complain about this spacesim that I pledged for eight years ago from these fourteen companies!
C: Oh yes, the...uh <waves hands>...quadrupled A spacesim....what's uh...what's wrong with it?
B: I'll tell you what's wrong with it. It's an unreleased broken piece of poo poo...that's what's wrong with it.
C: No, no....it's....uh....in Pre-Alpha
B: Look, buddy, I know an unreleased broken piece of poo poo when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
C: No no, it's not broken, it's....refactoring. Best drat space sim ever, that Star Citizen, beautiful fidelity!
B: The fidelity does nothing. It's broken beyond belief!
C: Nononono...no, NO! It's refactoring.
B: All right then, if it's refactoring, I'll pull a new update.
(klicks update in launcher)
B: HELLO UPDATE! I'VE GOT SOME CASH TO PLEDGE, LITTLE UPDATE! HELLO UPDATE, RELEASE!!!!
(CIG loads up CitizenCon trailer)
C: There, emergent gameplay!
B: No, that's not emergent gameplay. That's an on rails bullshot trailer!
C: It's not!
B: Yes it it is! (stops video at exactly the right moments to show the cuts between sections)
B: (loads actuall PU, tries to get into ship, clips through floor and dies)
B: Now that's what I call a broken, unreleased game
C: No...no....you don't have enough RAM and no SSD!
B: NOT ENOUGH RAM AND NO SSD?
C: Yeah! Your computer can't play it. BDSSE easily break if they don't get enough RAM.
B: Now look, buddy, I've had enough of this. This game is definitely broken and dead. And when I pledged for it eight years ago, you told me that it's total lack of gameplay was due to the pipelines not beeing in place yet.
C: Well....it's....it's ah <waves hand>....probably taking a bit longer than we expected
B: TAKING A BIT LONGER THAN YOU EXPECTED? WHAT KIND OF TALK IS THAT? Look, why didn't you meet a single deadline from the very moment you started work on this?
C: The BDSSE needs pipelines. It's quadruple-A. The fidelity is amazing
B: Look, I took the liberty of examining this game when I got the right tools, and I discovered that the only reason why we can move around is that everything is underwater, and that even the procgen stuff is actually not procgen, and you simply hide the loading screens with transmition effects!
C: Well, of course we hide the loading and put everything underwater. Else we would be finished with the PU before Squadron42 is ready!
B: Buddy, this game wouldn't be finished if you put four billion dollars into it. It's demised!
C: No, it's refactoring!
B: It's not refactoring, it's passed on! This game is no more. It has ceased to progress. It's outdated and ready for the uninstall button. This is a broken game! It's a turd. Bereft of gameplay, it rests in poo poo! If you hadn't released bullshot on-rails trailers for six years and collected money from idiots, the game would already be forgotten.
C: Well, we better refund it then....
C: Tell you a secret....I never wanted to be a game developer. I wanted to be a hollywood director....

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
CIG works with pretty much most classic python. Cheese shop sketch,
Wizzo chocolates
Argument sketch
Etc

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I think the cheese shop would work better

Do you have bounty hunting?

No.

100 systems?

No.

Carriers?

No.

Space journalism?

No.

Exploration?

Uh, not as such.

Research, land claims, farming, procedural birds, insurance actuaries, alien races, private servers, single player campaign?

No.

Mining, perhaps?

Ah! We have mining, yessir.

You do! Excellent.

Yessir. It's ah, it's a bit buggy.

Oh, I like it buggy.

Well... it's very buggy, actually, sir.

No matter! Fetch hither the gameplay that we all spent two hundred million dollars on!

I... think it's a bit buggier than you'll like it, sir.

I don't care how loving buggy it is. Hand it over with all speed.

Ooooooohhh...

What now?

It's been delayed until the next patch.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I like how the citizenry know NOTHING about their own game they've been funding for 6+ years. It takes about 2 seconds to search the 10ForTheChairman transcripts for "children". Chris gave a big fat MAYBE. Why do I know more about this than the guy with $1000+ in jpegs?

quote:

We don't really have a child character pipeline at the moment. So we may very well be guilty of what most other MMOs are. I would say if there were some children they would only be sort of background NPC stuff, kinda specifically just to add some variety to an environment. But yeah, we're really only planning on players being able to pick whether they want to be male or female - and it's an adult male or an adult female - and then sort of customize or dress up your character. NPC-wise is the only way you'll see a little bit of children, and that really comes down to variety.

So it certainly won't be something that we would be doing at the very beginning, because we've got our hands cut out for us just doing the various characters and costume combinations and all the rest of the stuff. But it is a good point, so thanks, Jeremiah.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

tuo posted:

B: Never mind that, sir. I'm here to complain about this spacesim that I pledged for eight years ago from these fourteen companies!
C: Oh yes, the...uh <waves hands>...quadrupled A spacesim....what's uh...what's wrong with it?
B: I'll tell you what's wrong with it. It's an unreleased broken piece of poo poo...that's what's wrong with it.
B: Look, buddy, I know an unreleased broken piece of poo poo when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
C: No no, it's not broken, it's....refactoring. Best drat space sim ever, that Star Citizen, beautiful fidelity!
B: HELLO UPDATE! I'VE GOT SOME CASH TO PLEDGE, LITTLE UPDATE! HELLO UPDATE, RELEASE!!!!
B: Yes it it is! (stops video at exactly the right moments to show the cuts between sections)
C: Yeah! Your computer can't play it. BDSSE easily break if they don't get enough RAM.
B: Now look, buddy, I've had enough of this. This game is definitely broken and dead. And when I pledged for it eight years ago, you told me that it's total lack of gameplay was due to the pipelines not beeing in place yet.
C: Well....it's....it's ah <waves hand>....probably taking a bit longer than we expected
B: TAKING A BIT LONGER THAN YOU EXPECTED? WHAT KIND OF TALK IS THAT? Look, why didn't you meet a single deadline from the very moment you started work on this?
B: Look, I took the liberty of examining this game when I got the right tools, and I discovered that the only reason why we can move around is that everything is underwater, and that even the procgen stuff is actually not procgen, and you simply hide the loading screens with transmition effects!
C: Well, of course we hide the loading and put everything underwater. Else we would be finished with the PU before Squadron42 is ready!
B: Buddy, this game wouldn't be finished if you put four billion dollars into it. It's demised!
B: It's not refactoring, it's passed on! This game is no more. It has ceased to progress. It's outdated and ready for the uninstall button. This is a broken game! It's a turd. Bereft of gameplay, it rests in poo poo! If you hadn't released bullshot on-rails trailers for six years and collected money from idiots, the game would already be forgotten.
C: Tell you a secret....I never wanted to be a game developer. I wanted to be a hollywood director....

OMG
:parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
:worship:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

I think the cheese shop would work better

Do you have bounty hunting?

No.

100 systems?

No.

Carriers?

No.

Space journalism?

No.

Exploration?

Uh, not as such.

Research, land claims, farming, procedural birds, insurance actuaries, alien races, private servers, single player campaign?

No.

Mining, perhaps?

Ah! We have mining, yessir.

You do! Excellent.

Yessir. It's ah, it's a bit buggy.

Oh, I like it buggy.

Well... it's very buggy, actually, sir.

No matter! Fetch hither the gameplay that we all spent two hundred million dollars on!

I... think it's a bit buggier than you'll like it, sir.

I don't care how loving buggy it is. Hand it over with all speed.

Ooooooohhh...

What now?

It's been delayed until the next patch.

This is great.

Also: moons.

And yet it appears that we’re still talking about the one system. They have another 99 to go before the can claim ‘release’.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Man, that guy is so dellusional. It's exactly what Chris Roberts has been doing, except he didn't have the balls to call it a "release". Instead it stays in permanent alpha so that it can be used as an excuse for its poor state.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Had the mods at /r/sc not threatened to tattle to the reddit admins I would never have ever known that SC was still NOT a thing nor cared enough to check this thread.

Fixed it for you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

This is great.

Also: moons.

And yet it appears that we’re still talking about the one system. They have another 99 to go before the can claim ‘release’.

Nah they absolved themselves of that. Now it’s “five to ten” lol

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
My Dragonfly is full of eels.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

biglads posted:

Can you consider the lawsuit to be emergent gameplay?

There is a play but there is no game.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Only if the bar association can find and destroy his phylactery

I'm sure Derek can find it and doxx it for them

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty CEO!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

I paid for motogp tickets and it was awful.

rally and rallycross is where its at for entertaining races.

Go to the ASSEN TT (Netherlands GP) and say that again

Also the awesomeness scale of Motorsport is

1. Isle of Man TT
2. Nürburgring 24H
3. Classic rallye
4 Le Mans 24H
5. MotoGP Assen and spain
6. WRC
7. Regular motoGP

Driving flip flop formula 1 with fart sounds

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

Greetings.

Took the $10 plunge after reading this particular thread for a few months. The whole project is... wondrous. Well, perhaps not so much the project, which seems to be rather horrible and going nowhere, but the (vocal) backers. I know fans can get a bit rabid about their favourite things, but to throw away every shred of propriety over something as bonkers as fidelity in a videogame (or is the accepted term "model viewer", please enlighten). Surprise sex, children (and why would one need some in-viewer banhammer to land on a person who harms a virtual kid - just do what Bethesda does, and make them immortal).

I take comfort in the fact (hopefully) that folks posting such drivel are a tiny, slightly dysfunctional minority.

In other words, it's a lovely thread. Very civil. Maybe this isn't the internet?

Welcome, new friend :wave:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

As requested, although they are bigger these days.

:3:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spin them kitties

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

:vince:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah they absolved themselves of that. Now it’s “five to ten” lol

I’m an originalist and go back to the pitch that I backed. I’ll grab the screenshot at a later point, but I’m very clear on what and when I backed the game.

You’ve got to admit that it’s a fun narrative.

Combat Theory posted:

1. Isle of Man TT
2. Nürburgring 24H
3. Classic rallye
4 Le Mans 24H
6. WRC
7. Regular motoGP

I detect a European flavor to this, and those perverts turn right in their driving sports.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zzr posted:

There is a play but there is no game.

Greek tragedy or Wakefield cycle morality play?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

This is a beautiful thing, friend :golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dooguk posted:

My Dragonfly is full of eels.

My space nipplejets explode with fidelity!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Foo Diddley posted:

What I never understood about Store Citizer is, how the gently caress do you spend that much money on a video game that you can't even play

Like, I think spending sixty bux on a working, finished, playable game is a bit excessive. I have to think about it for a bit before I hit that "buy" button. But there are people who have spent thousands on this poo poo

What. The gently caress

It's the single argument to stop me bothering about how and why SC is is a fake game.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Escher kitties are fitting precisely.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Combat Theory posted:

1. Isle of Man TT
2. Nürburgring 24H
3. Classic rallye
4 Le Mans 24H
6. WRC
7. Regular motoGP

Are you avoiding British sporting events?
What about the North West 200?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

tuo posted:

:perfect:

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Sandepande posted:

Generic ships? Have these guys seen what Star Citizen looks like? It's the byword for generic. Very sci-fey and soulless stuff. Although maybe I'm just not seeing it.
I like to think that Star Citizen has invented a new school of art called detailism. It's like their criteria for comparing two many drawings would be which one has more lines on the page. Since Star Citizen renders the most rivets on space ships, it's the best. It differs from realism in that you don't have to ask why there would be rivets there, because it's irrelevant whether they made sense, all that matters is that rivets are being rendered.

Sandepande posted:

Where is that female model, anyway? It's not like it needs to be rigged completely differently from the male one, is it? Or don't they have sufficiently satisfactory boob physics (grids) in place? Or are they just an incompetent and incapable group of random developers doing random things because nobody has a clue?

It must be a rigging problem. Surely.
I can believe there's a rigging problem, because the existing model can barely refrain from collapsing into a grotesquerie. The whole system is so delicate you can't go recklessly making changes like scaling the model down, widening the pelvis, and lowering the center of gravity.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AngusPodgorny posted:

I like to think that Star Citizen has invented a new school of art called detailism. It's like their criteria for comparing two many drawings would be which one has more lines on the page. Since Star Citizen renders the most rivets on space ships, it's the best. It differs from realism in that you don't have to ask why there would be rivets there, because it's irrelevant whether they made sense, all that matters is that rivets are being rendered.

Ooooh, i know this one. “Why was Cliffs of Dover absolute poo poo on release”.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

When you think about Gamescom or E3, you think of an industry event designed for everyone to get together and show off this or that. Blizzcon or the more recent Tennocon is on a smaller scale - Blizzard has a number of offerings, Tennocon has a dedicated fan base so it's smaller and more intimate, but just as energetic.

Enter "CitizenCon." Remember that Chris Roberts was turned down by every publisher he approached. We know the games industry is a small place. Nobody who ever worked with Chris had anything particularly good to say about him, just backhanded compliments through gritted teeth. Nobody would work with him. Nobody.

His opinion of himself is of a visionary mastermind. Now to those of us with the talent to spot missing chromosomes, this is laughable at best. But he believes it. Hence CitizenCon - an E3 dedicated solely to Chris Roberts.

CR thinks he's such an incredible game developer that he requires an E3 analogue dedicated to him alone. This is a man who is not considered a game developer by the games industry, nor is he considered a director by the movie industry. Both kicked him out. But he demands an E3 of his own. Dedicated not to his nonexistent "game" - despite the name - but to him. A monument to his genius. An annual event where he finds the most genetically damaged white males the internet can defraud, and charges them to fly to where he is and clap for him as he stutters and spits on stage, oblivious to every thought beyond "FIDELITY! IMMERSION!" despite having less idea what those terms mean than a below-average duck.

This is the man whose company is about to charge into a Federal court and lay waste to one of the most powerful legal behemoths on the planet.

If the original Star Wars movie had Chris Roberts as Luke Skywalker, the credits would have rolled minutes after the movie began, shortly after Chris turned on the lightsaber while it was pointing the wrong way.

Can you imagine blizzard throwing a convention before they released a single game?

It boggles the mind. But CIG isn't a game company. They're a game appearance company. A game lifestyle.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So in GBS I found this machine learning text-to-image generator, which is pretty cool.

Some examples:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Dark style cubism is in.