Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Matt Zerella posted:

-a person who's only watched one season
I wish it was zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Echo Chamber posted:

I wish it was zero.

cool, we get it, you don't like it.

Tina fey is a comfy white liberal and the sheet cake poo poo was terrible and she should feel bad. but 30 Rock absolutely lampooned corporate America and the entertainment industry and you're kind of talking out of your rear end here. and then you turn around and use "edgy leftist" while defending the guy who did the March To Restore sanity which was IMO way more damaging than the sheet cake crap.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

30 rock is terrible. Its so bad, ive never seen it

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tina fey, by herself, is bad

tina fey, as supported by a team of writers, is tolerable.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

I wish it was zero.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Enjoy everything that entertains you, in my less than esteemed opinion. Judiciously slide your scale between self-aware and unaware satire, and alter whether you're laughing at intended caricatures or the underlying structures of this great farce of life.

It's fair to get a more than a little esteamed when it's outright reactionary garbage, or just mindless propaganda reinforcing our crumbling, monstrous system.

It's okay to laugh, people, just know what you're laughing at and why. Bonus points if your understanding of what and why is funny happens mid-laugh and transforms the complexity and hysteria of your mirth.

For content: I'm currently laughing into the abyss at the notion of industrializing sustainability to save the planet. I'm ambivalent about receiving a chuckleback from it, but I'm open to the idea.

hobotrashcanfires fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 19, 2018

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

tina fey, by herself, is bad

tina fey, as supported by a team of writers, is tolerable.

you ever see a tina fey project that she didn't write? ever see baby mama?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

you ever see a tina fey project that she didn't write? ever see baby mama?

no. i'm assuming it's part of that catch-all of fey by herself.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

30 Rock was a funny show.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
30 Rock is problematic as hell, but I still find it utterly hilarious. There have been few show that ruthlessly mocked the network they were airing on as often. Kimmy Schmidt is also both problematic and funny.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Echo Chamber posted:

I know the edgy leftist position is now "Jon Stewart was always bad", and people point to his Rally or whatever, which I don't think reflects his body of work on The Daily Show. Stewart positioned himself a little bit apart from mainstream liberalism, which I always appreciated. Unfortunately, Noah doesn't.

lmao

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I forgot who on the show says it, but one character describes themselves as socially conservative and fiscally liberal.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

e: ah someone already posted it

:owned:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Tracey Morgan was the best part of that show, tbh

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i liked 30 rock

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jon Stewart is a union busting rear end in a top hat and is bad

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jon Stewart is a union busting rear end in a top hat and is bad

a bwaaaa??

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

docbeard posted:

Tina Fey herself has (sort of) repudiated the sheetcake sketch.

(Though her alternative explanation, that it was meant as a 'don't feed the trolls' message, isn't that much better, mostly because 'don't feed the trolls' is bullshit and has never worked).

i remember being very annoyed by the sketch because it's the dumbest needle to try to thread. it's in the same exact vein of garbage like hamilton; it's way too easy for people to take it at face value and do absolutely zero introspection on the subject.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/EndDeportations/status/1030713185739964416

yieks

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Matt Zerella posted:

I forgot who on the show says it, but one character describes themselves as socially conservative and fiscally liberal.

It was Dennis Duffy and it was a throwaway joke but also kind of prescient given that Dennis was a proto-chud

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

59% biden lol bernie is gonna get ratfucked agian and trump will win

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

tbf that is deep in hillarymen twitter. every response is Bernie IS NOT EVEN A DEMOCRAT

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1030771323017093120

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
actually the american media class is indeed the enemy of the people

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

after the writer's strike, Stewart never used any of the material by the show's writers.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I was on an airplane recently and noticed how problematic Wayne's World is in 2018 that movie would never be made today

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

why cant tom perez get his teeth fixed

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

after the writer's strike, Stewart never used any of the material by the show's writers.

Wait, he hired scab writers? Wrote everything himself?

gently caress him for screwing over workers but how did that even work?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Don't know if it has ever been made clear, but from what I've read both Stewart and Colbert were scripting shows themselves.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stewart maybe, but colbert writing five shows a week by himself seems impossible

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswithhammers/2012/05/is-jon-stewart-anti-union/

quote:

Jon Stewart on the other hand, who I worked for on The Daily Show, is in my opinion, very manipulative. He’s more of a crowd pleaser and gives the illusion of taking chances. But he’s an impressionist and he’s trying to, uh…Well, I don’t want to talk about Jon Stewart because I could, you know, it’s like going after Christ. And this is a guy who—I’m a staunch member of the Writer’s Guild of America and Jon Stewart fought his writers when they wanted to go union. They went union and [he] has been punishing them ever since, so the reason, you know, if you watch the Jon Stewart show, he doesn’t really do well-crafted jokes. He’ll throw a couple in, but it’s mostly mugging and shouting. He’s funny, but he’s punishing his writers. He doesn’t use his writers’ stuff because he’s mad at them for going union. And when I was there, I came in there right after they signed with the Writer’s Guild and many of his writers wanted to work with me because they had never gotten their stuff on the show. So he’s turned them all into sinecures, you know, people who have titles and Emmy’s and they work all day, then he doesn’t uses their stuff.

It’s kind of [like] what Walt Disney did to the animators who went union on him. Walt Disney called in a guy named Art Babbitt who was a very rich artist with the Disney Corporation who felt that his animators should be union, and Art Babbitt paid a price with Disney. Eventually, he was one of, they called him the wise man of Disney and there was an animator’s strike that Art Babbitt orchestrated. And he didn’t need to, he was rich! And he still felt his employees at Disney deserved a union, Walt Disney felt they didn’t. So they got their union, Walt Disney called Art Babbitt into his office and said, “Congratulations, you got your union, let me see your drawings, your cels” and Disney took these beautiful cels that Art Babbitt had worked on all day and tore them in front of Art Babbitt and said, “you’ve got your union, you’ll never see your work on the screen again.”

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

why cant tom perez get his teeth fixed

have you looked inside bernie sander's mouth? or examined his hooves? he's no prize stallion. typical dirtbag leftist bias

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also Seth MacFarlane did a Family Guy gag calling out Jon Stewart for his union busting, and got a STERN PHONECALL from Jon Stewart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrcOge6pMhg

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

It was Dennis Duffy and it was a throwaway joke but also kind of prescient given that Dennis was a proto-chud

:lol: that's right. the fact that he's from long island makes it even better.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

EugeneJ posted:

Also Seth MacFarlane did a Family Guy gag calling out Jon Stewart for his union busting, and got a STERN PHONECALL from Jon Stewart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrcOge6pMhg

that interview you posted earlier with one of the former daily show writers calls jon stewart a bad person for good and believable reasons:

quote:

Ed Brayton: Well that’s interesting, that’s nothing I’ve ever heard before.

David Feldman: You won’t hear that because his going union was very difficult for the Writer’s Guild and unions are weak right now. There is not a single writer who ever worked for Jon Stewart who will tell you that he’s a good man. Everybody who has ever written for Jon Stewart will tell you that he hates his writers, and he’s abusive, and is anti-union. But nobody has the courage to take on Satan in Christ’s clothes. I’m joking about his being Satan but he is anti-union. And the head of the Writer’s Guild out here told me that during the strike, when Jon was working as a writer, doing shows, and being his own scab, the head of the Writer’s Guild told me in his whole history he had never been talked to as abusively as he was by Jon Stewart. But nobody’s going to go after Jon Stewart. Nobody’s going to tell the truth about what a bad guy Jon Stewart is because for some reason he’s got angel’s wings. You know—he is funny, the show’s great, but he is not a supporter of unions.

Ed Brayton: Well, if nobody’s going to say it, you just did! So, so, uh, I’m amazed with all the people I know in the comedy business that nobody’s ever said that to me before, so I’m glad to have it [be] aired.

David Feldman: Yeah, you know, I could go on about his reading the e-mails of his writers, stuff like that. People need to know the truth. You know the First Commandment, the First Commandment is “thou shalt not worship false idols”. It is wrong to worship false idols. And in comedy and the New York news media, they have decided that Jon Stewart is an idol, an icon. And he’s not.

but i'm having trouble believing him because he opens up the interview by talking about how brave and funny bill maher and dennis miller are

quote:

And I, you know, like, Bill Maher is very brave politically. And if you ask me who I respect the most, it would be Bill Maher because I think he is willing to lose everything for what he believes. Comedically he is not as brave as Dennis. Dennis will do jokes and they’re comedically right, they’re mathematically right, and the audience be damned. But he knows what’s funny. And if this joke is funny, he’s gonna do the joke. And working for him gave me a lot of courage to be right comedically. He’s wrong politically. And Bill Maher…I love Bill Maher, I really do. [But] I don’t think he’s as brave comedically. He’s down the middle with the jokes. He’s not trying to lose the audience with his comedy. He’s just trying to lose them with his politics.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hostess Snack Cake posted:

59% biden lol bernie is gonna get ratfucked agian and trump will win

the sample is extremely, incredibly biased and it's not a comprehensive list of candidates, chill

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

tbf that is deep in hillarymen twitter. every response is Bernie IS NOT EVEN A DEMOCRAT

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Jon Stewart hating unions is like Gordon Ramsay walking out of a dinner theater production of Pygmalion, babe, cha-cha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES