Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

The problem is that the game never mentions Clayface at all at any point before the reveal. That's a good hint for a continuity nerd who's constantly looking for allusions to a canon they already know - it makes no sense to a player who doesn't know who Clayface is, and the game doesn't do anything later to make it make more sense, because even when you're fighting Clayface it doesn't really introduce him beyond, "of course, it was Clayface the whole time!".

I mean, I am a gigantic Batman nerd, but it's still awful storytelling because the foreshadowing only works if you have knowledge you bring in from outside the game's story proper. It's like if an episode of Scooby Doo ended with Fred pulling off the rubber mask to reveal that it was Jabberjaw who was sabotaging the miners all along, because they crossed over that one time, remember? Also in this analogy the episode of Scooby Doo is 35 hours long. Except that actually sounds amazing so never mind, not that, a more damning analogy and also someone make that Scooby Doo episode.

Well yeah, that's how a twist works. If they have him show up before then, it would've been pretty easy to guess. I don't know which person is sitting down to City (a sequel by the way) with no prior knowledge of Batman in any capacity. He's in a part of Asylum that is mandatory to visit. The files are in the game. Idk man, of all the problems City has narratively, that is low on the totem pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not only that but the totem stuff is Spider-Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The problem is that the game never mentions Clayface at all at any point before the reveal. That's a good hint for a continuity nerd who's constantly looking for allusions to a canon they already know - it makes no sense to a player who doesn't know who Clayface is, and the game doesn't do anything later to make it make more sense, because even when you're fighting Clayface it doesn't really introduce him beyond, "of course, it was Clayface the whole time!".

I mean, I am a gigantic Batman nerd, but it's still awful storytelling because the foreshadowing only works if you have knowledge you bring in from outside the game's story proper. It's like if an episode of Scooby Doo ended with Fred pulling off the rubber mask to reveal that it was Jabberjaw who was sabotaging the miners all along, because they crossed over that one time, remember? Also in this analogy the episode of Scooby Doo is 35 hours long. Except that actually sounds amazing so never mind, not that, a more damning analogy and also someone make that Scooby Doo episode.

Throughout the game they drop a whole bunch of hints that the Joker is not what he seems. Like a metric ton that there's a Fake Joker. The identity of the Fake Joker isn't particularly important. Just that he's a Fake Joker.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you know who clayface is it makes sense on its own, and if you don’t he’s a big shape shifting monster. It’s not that confusing

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Well yeah, that's how a twist works. If they have him show up before then, it would've been pretty easy to guess. I don't know which person is sitting down to City (a sequel by the way) with no prior knowledge of Batman in any capacity. He's in a part of Asylum that is mandatory to visit. The files are in the game. Idk man, of all the problems City has narratively, that is low on the totem pole.

I'm standing firm on this one, it makes zero sense unless you already know the character behind the twist, a character the game does not introduce until you're actually fighting him. And it's not as though he's that well known - he's never been in a movie, he had a handful of appearances in the 90s animated series, and he's in the comics. Your average Batman fan probably blanks on him, and it's not as though Arkham City, which was a gigantic hit (and a great game!), was only played by Batman superfans.

His appearance in Asylum is just an Easter egg, he's not a part of the plot, and it's entirely possible for players to miss him. You have to go to the area he's in, but he's not in a cutscene or anything, he's just a background NPC.

Retro Futurist posted:

If you know who clayface is it makes sense on its own, and if you don’t he’s a big shape shifting monster. It’s not that confusing

It isn't that it's confusing, it's that it's bad storytelling to have your big twist and the resolution of your mystery hinge on knowledge that wasn't available to the player. It's like if you ended a murder mystery with, "of course, the culprit was that invisible guy I met once who can walk through laser tripwires!".

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

I'm standing firm on this one, it makes zero sense unless you already know the character behind the twist, a character the game does not introduce until you're actually fighting him. And it's not as though he's that well known - he's never been in a movie, he had a handful of appearances in the 90s animated series, and he's in the comics. Your average Batman fan probably blanks on him, and it's not as though Arkham City, which was a gigantic hit (and a great game!), was only played by Batman superfans.

His appearance in Asylum is just an Easter egg, he's not a part of the plot, and it's entirely possible for players to miss him. You have to go to the area he's in, but he's not in a cutscene or anything, he's just a background NPC.

It isn't that it's confusing, it's that it's bad storytelling to have your big twist and the resolution of your mystery hinge on knowledge that wasn't available to the player. It's like if you ended a murder mystery with, "of course, the culprit was that invisible guy I met once who can walk through laser tripwires!".

I think I agree with you.

This kind of thing can be fun in a shared universe because it helps gesture to the fact that the story you're reading is part of a larger narrative-- for example, the Mr. Mind reveal in 52. I think that on its own 52 does not do a very thorough job of explaining to a new reader who and what Mr. Mind is before the climax of the story, but what it does do is give the reader a sense of scale that makes sudden developments like that seem "fair." To a longtime fan, seeing Mr. Mind evolve like that is thrilling. To a new reader, the series has established its rules enough that instead of going "huh, ok, a giant worm, this is baffling and stupid," the more likely reaction would be to look up who Mr. Mind is and have fun filling in the gaps. Ditto Ralph Dibny's adventures in the occult are really more about giving a sense of texture and depth to DC's magical stuff than it is about meticulously connecting dots.

I don't know if this contract between writer and audience can be expected to work 100% the same in a videogame-- the sense of interconnectivity and intertextuality is so different. It's also impossible for me to put myself in the shoes of the baffled player you're describing because, like, *I* know who Clayface is. My instinct is that for a twist like that to really work you do have to treat the videogame like it's own enclosed entity, and that if the plot is going to revolve around somebody being able to shapeshift, there should be some indication (in the same game!) that shapeshifting is a thing that exists before that narrative trigger is pulled.

This is probably especially true for a property like Batman, which can accomodate so many wildly different tones. Frank Miller's Year One doesn't have Clayface because it's essentially a pretty grounded little neo-noir story without a lot of fantasy elements. Greg Snyder's Joker would be a grotesque mismatch with Dick Sprang's pencils, and so on. Clayface in his "big mud monster and legit shapeshifter" incarnation has always kind of been on the outlier of core Batman concepts, so I think it's a big ask to throw him into a story with zero warning. Hamlet would be pretty unsatisfying if at the end a bunch of fairies fly in and carry Hamlet off to safety, even though one could theoretically point to A Midsummer Night's Dream and say, like, "well, we know Shakespeare can put magical fairies in his play, so [...]"

I guess a counter-example that stays in the realm of videogame adaptations would be the Witcher series. I like all three Witcher games, more or less, and I know that there are great reams of Witcher novels out there, so sometimes I just accepted that I was lost at sea with certain elements of world-building or characterization. I always felt like the writing played fair though-- if the game needed me to know about a concept or a character, it would lay groundwork pretty assiduously so that no twist felt arbitrary or unfair.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Those are some false equivalencies, lads. I dunno what to say. The game abandons all trust in its audience and just plays a montage of all the moments that foreshadowed the twist. Batman has a diverse cast of villains with superpowers. One that can shapeshift isn't shattering any previous world building. The guy has riddles in both games. He's got an appearance in the previous one. I mean I'm not sure what could have satisfied you outside of Joker looking into the camera and saying "Isn't it weird that Clayface isn't around?"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Those are some false equivalencies, lads. I dunno what to say. The game abandons all trust in its audience and just plays a montage of all the moments that foreshadowed the twist. Batman has a diverse cast of villains with superpowers. One that can shapeshift isn't shattering any previous world building. The guy has riddles in both games. He's got an appearance in the previous one. I mean I'm not sure what could have satisfied you outside of Joker looking into the camera and saying "Isn't it weird that Clayface isn't around?"

Not a lad, but I hear what you're saying. I mean it's a fine line for sure. Is Grant Morrison (am I picking on him too much in these posts) playing fair with his audience when he busts out the Zur En Aarh stuff in his run? I don't know-- I want to say yes because I really loved it, but I don't know, and if a Batman videogame in the stylistic vein of the Arkham series busted out Bat-Mite as a deus ex machina I think a casual fan would be more than justified in rolling their eyes and calling foul.

Is Clayface as esoteric as Bat-Mite or the Zur En Aarh thing? Absolutely not, but his relevance in the past decade has been pretty slim, outside of the comics, and I don't know if the Timm/Dini cartoon has as much currency as it used to when large swatches of the audience for Batman stuff were surely not even alive when it was on. You bring up the idea of somebody saying "isn't it weird that Clayface isn't around," and like, I think in the right context that could be enough. Just remind the audience who he is, what he can do, and flag his absence in such a way that maybe he's being teased as a boss, maybe not. Throw him in as the prologue bad-guy, so that by the big reveal he's still on the audience's mind, but perhaps way in the back of it. I think as is it's very close to being a very neat reveal-- IIRC he refers to you as "Batman" consistently whereas the real Joker refers to you as "Bats," and as mentioned there's the thing with the skeleton, which is good storytelling and a pretty elegant callback to Asylum. I think it needed a bit more though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

If the audience accepted Solomon Grundy in the same game they can accept Clayface

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Archyduke posted:

I think I agree with you.

This kind of thing can be fun in a shared universe because it helps gesture to the fact that the story you're reading is part of a larger narrative-- for example, the Mr. Mind reveal in 52. I think that on its own 52 does not do a very thorough job of explaining to a new reader who and what Mr. Mind is before the climax of the story, but what it does do is give the reader a sense of scale that makes sudden developments like that seem "fair." To a longtime fan, seeing Mr. Mind evolve like that is thrilling. To a new reader, the series has established its rules enough that instead of going "huh, ok, a giant worm, this is baffling and stupid," the more likely reaction would be to look up who Mr. Mind is and have fun filling in the gaps. Ditto Ralph Dibny's adventures in the occult are really more about giving a sense of texture and depth to DC's magical stuff than it is about meticulously connecting dots.

I don't know if this contract between writer and audience can be expected to work 100% the same in a videogame-- the sense of interconnectivity and intertextuality is so different. It's also impossible for me to put myself in the shoes of the baffled player you're describing because, like, *I* know who Clayface is. My instinct is that for a twist like that to really work you do have to treat the videogame like it's own enclosed entity, and that if the plot is going to revolve around somebody being able to shapeshift, there should be some indication (in the same game!) that shapeshifting is a thing that exists before that narrative trigger is pulled.

This is probably especially true for a property like Batman, which can accomodate so many wildly different tones. Frank Miller's Year One doesn't have Clayface because it's essentially a pretty grounded little neo-noir story without a lot of fantasy elements. Greg Snyder's Joker would be a grotesque mismatch with Dick Sprang's pencils, and so on. Clayface in his "big mud monster and legit shapeshifter" incarnation has always kind of been on the outlier of core Batman concepts, so I think it's a big ask to throw him into a story with zero warning. Hamlet would be pretty unsatisfying if at the end a bunch of fairies fly in and carry Hamlet off to safety, even though one could theoretically point to A Midsummer Night's Dream and say, like, "well, we know Shakespeare can put magical fairies in his play, so [...]"

I guess a counter-example that stays in the realm of videogame adaptations would be the Witcher series. I like all three Witcher games, more or less, and I know that there are great reams of Witcher novels out there, so sometimes I just accepted that I was lost at sea with certain elements of world-building or characterization. I always felt like the writing played fair though-- if the game needed me to know about a concept or a character, it would lay groundwork pretty assiduously so that no twist felt arbitrary or unfair.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I feel as though the contract between writer and audience is totally different in a video game, where the narrative is self-contained, than in comics, where the whole glorious daft procedure is explicitly a serial narrative that's been going on for decades. There may be a gulf of meaning and style and delivery between Batman in the 80s and Batman in 2018, but they're both understood as being part of the same big meta-story about the same character. The newest issue of Batman is a sequel to every previous issue of Batman.

A video game's story doesn't work like that. There isn't an expectation that the target audience for the video game will just go and read back issues of Batman if something happens that isn't satisfying within the story as presented, any more than (as you say) there's an expectation that you ought to watch A Midsummer Night's Dream before you watch Hamlet.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Android Blues posted:

That's exactly how I feel about it. I feel as though the contract between writer and audience is totally different in a video game, where the narrative is self-contained, than in comics, where the whole glorious daft procedure is explicitly a serial narrative that's been going on for decades. There may be a gulf of meaning and style and delivery between Batman in the 80s and Batman in 2018, but they're both understood as being part of the same big meta-story about the same character. The newest issue of Batman is a sequel to every previous issue of Batman.

A video game's story doesn't work like that. There isn't an expectation that the target audience for the video game will just go and read back issues of Batman if something happens that isn't satisfying within the story as presented, any more than (as you say) there's an expectation that you ought to watch A Midsummer Night's Dream before you watch Hamlet.

I feel like the Arkham Games had like an unspoken pre-requisite of having watched Batman: TAS as a child. Even if they didn't always use that version of the character (such as Clayface, who was Basil Karlo) it expected you to know about as much as
you would have by watching 2 episodes dedicated to them.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does Knight work on PC now? I barely remember many issues with that game back then so between that and mediocre reviews, I didn't manage to play it at the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

radlum posted:

Does Knight work on PC now? I barely remember many issues with that game back then so between that and mediocre reviews, I didn't manage to play it at the time.

The patches fixed most of the issues.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I played through it on PC maybe 6-10 months ago and didn't have any bugs or crashes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I remember it being a big issue that there weren't raindrops running down the models on PC. That's what we cared about three years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I remember it being a big issue that there weren't raindrops running down the models on PC. That's what we cared about three years ago.

If you spent 1200 on a gaming PC the same year or after Xbone and PS4 came out, I understand being upset at a game being even slightly inferior to the console versions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also the game barely ran and was removed from sale for months because of how broken it was.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 19, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The patch didn't even fix the problems for a significant percentage of users. Don't front like it was an excusable release or that it's all better now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has Spider-Man ever fought Juggernaut?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Has Spider-Man ever fought Juggernaut?

Yup, trapped him in concrete, it was in the 80's I think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's one of the best Spider-Man stories there's been: "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut!" in Amazing Spider-Man #229 and 230, Roger Stern and JRJR.

#230 has one of the all-time great Spider-Man covers:

There was another one later on, which I believe was when Juggernaut destroyed the World Trade Centre and made Dr Doom cry.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yup, trapped him in concrete, it was in the 80's I think.

Smart man that Peter Parker.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

There was a sequel to that story in ASM later on that involved the current Captain Universe trying to kill the Juggernaut, and which ended up with the Juggernaut (temporarily) becoming Captain Universe himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was another one later on, which I believe was when Juggernaut destroyed the World Trade Centre and made Dr Doom cry.

I am fairly certain that was against X-Factor, not Spider-man. Though Ben Reilly did fight Juggernaut at one point, and the issue was kind of a weird situation where Spider-man didn't want to fight, and Juggernaut didn't want to fight, but a dumb kid knew Juggernaut was a bad guy and kinda forced Spidey into a confrontation with him because good guys are supposed to fight the bad guys. This was when Juggernaut was starting his face turn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know where that stuff happens but Juggernaut knocks down the WTC in the last few issues of Spiderman that Todd Mcfarlane drew. Guest starred XForce.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I don't know where that stuff happens but Juggernaut knocks down the WTC in the last few issues of Spiderman that Todd Mcfarlane drew. Guest starred XForce.

Actually they blew it up with a bomb. In like X-Force #3 or #4. And then in the Spider-Man issue Juggernaut knocked down what was left of it.

That was the last McFarlane issue of that series and I believe for the company. So the very last pages he drew for Marvel were the destruction of the WTC.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 19, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hulk is bound to have fought Juggernaut hasn't he?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bessantj posted:

Several times. Hulk always wins.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Doctor Doom crying bit is from the post 9/11 ASM issue JMS wrote.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Several times. Hulk always wins.

:hai:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bessantj posted:

There is a very brief bit in Peter David's run on Hulk (when Jan Duursema was penciller, in between Dale Keown and Gary Frank) where the Pantheon sends Hulk to South America to stop deforestation where he finds this gigantic construction worker felling trees with his bare hands and he turns out to be Juggernaut, which surprises Hulk because he's never seen Juggernaut without his armour. :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bessantj posted:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We could probably make a Juggernaut fight thread, and it'd rule. Juggernaut has fought Thor at least three times, and they've all been great.

Juggernaut as living siege engine is always a good story hook.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Whose the artist for this, it's hilarious for it's time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Whose the artist for this, it's hilarious for it's time.

Almost certainly Sal Buscema, I think.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's Incredible Hulk #172, Herb Trimpe.

Also, since I happen to have one of the Thor fights available:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That's Herb Trimpe & Jack Abel, from 1974's Incredible Hulk #172.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If it's really bad Hulk art, you know it's gotta be Trimpe.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jordan7hm posted:

If it's really bad Hulk art, you know it's gotta be Trimpe.

Untrue on two counts. 1, I wouldn't call that "really bad," and 2, Liam Sharpe exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Untrue on two counts. 1, I wouldn't call that "really bad," and 2, Liam Sharpe exists.

gently caress you for reminding me that Liam Sharp's Hulk exists. There was some really terrible art on that tail end of David's run because it was the mid-90's.