Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Libluini posted:

Even with all those portraits, the game is lacking a lot of people. That's why I had to make my own spider and centipede portraits.

Edit:

We also don't have fish.

I just want some critters that look properly like they're mandatory aquatic instead of at best 'maybe amphibious' with some of the reptilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Lynneth posted:

I just want some critters that look properly like they're mandatory aquatic instead of at best 'maybe amphibious' with some of the reptilians.

Ditto. Also sorry to keep bringing up the frigging Culture, but I just finished Matter the other day so whatever. The Morthanveld have what is basically a ringworld, but it's a tangle of gigantic transparent water filled tubes encircling it's home star. I thought that was pretty neat, the concept of a ringworld adapted to the needs of a purely aquatic species.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It is very funny, but I remain to be convinced that pacifism will ever be interesting until diplomacy gets a revamp.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My hope is that changes in Le Guin are the type of necessary structural reforms that help the eventual diplomacy overhaul really shine. Bonus if they can really spice up the internal polictal game to boot, which I imagine has to be part of the aim.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

CK2 in Stellaris when

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Aethernet posted:

It is very funny, but I remain to be convinced that pacifism will ever be interesting until diplomacy gets a revamp.

Yea, being unable to ever fight really does cut you off from 70% of the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Platonicsolid posted:

Create a Fleet of Worlds!
Quiet you fool, everyone will want one!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So I was in the middle of annihilating a fallen empire yesterday when the game just forced a status quo on me (which I guess is tied to war exhaustion?), so I can't do anything to that civ for a decade. This is bullshit. Is the Accurate War Exhaustion mod something I should look into to prevent this nonsense in the future?

I don't even know how I got war exhaustion that high, the vast majority of the war was just sitting around waiting for the extremely slow army transports to get to the war so I could unblock FTL.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

King of Solomon posted:

So I was in the middle of annihilating a fallen empire yesterday when the game just forced a status quo on me (which I guess is tied to war exhaustion?), so I can't do anything to that civ for a decade. This is bullshit. Is the Accurate War Exhaustion mod something I should look into to prevent this nonsense in the future?

I don't even know how I got war exhaustion that high, the vast majority of the war was just sitting around waiting for the extremely slow army transports to get to the war so I could unblock FTL.

Your war exhaustion slowly ticks up over time even without significant combat, as your citizens get tired of the constant skirmishes and war footing activity. When your empire hits 100% exhaustion, you have two years until the opponent can force a white peace.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kaal posted:

Your war exhaustion slowly ticks up over time even without significant combat, as your citizens get tired of the constant skirmishes and war footing activity. When your empire hits 100% exhaustion, you have two years until the opponent can force a white peace.

If it was a bunch of skirmishes, that would at least make sense, but most of the war was spent sitting in or near the enemy system waiting for ground troops to show up. There wasn't any fighting in that time.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

If it was a bunch of skirmishes, that would at least make sense, but most of the war was spent sitting in or near the enemy system waiting for ground troops to show up. There wasn't any fighting in that time.

You should have your troop transports follow your combat ships. They won't be fired upon until all your combat ships are dead.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Aethernet posted:

You should have your troop transports follow your combat ships. They won't be fired upon until all your combat ships are dead.

I learned a lot about how Stellaris wars work during that, yeah. The main problem was I wasn't aware I'd need ground forces to get past their FTL inhibitors (I figured I could just blow them up with my fleet), so I had to actually build a meaningful ground army and wait for them to reach the enemy systems.

E: But yeah, the main problem is that the game just forced a truce on me. Is there a recommended mod that turns that off? I really dislike that it did that.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 19, 2018

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

King of Solomon posted:

I meant skirmishes more as the presumed minor actions taking place as you attempt to secure or defend territory. The war exhaustion ticker reflects the effort and resources being expended on being at war at all - training and equipping troops replacements, maintaining morale, etc. I understand it's frustrating if you feel blindsided by the forced status quo - but there is a notification two years before it happens that you've reached 100% exhaustion and the war will soon be coming to an end. Researching the techs mitigating war exhaustion can be pretty useful in that regard.

I haven't explored the Stellaris mod scene much so I don't have any suggestions for changing that mechanic.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I learned a lot about how Stellaris wars work during that, yeah. The main problem was I wasn't aware I'd need ground forces to get past their FTL inhibitors (I figured I could just blow them up with my fleet), so I had to actually build a meaningful ground army and wait for them to reach the enemy systems.

war exhaustion basically works this way to give defense more power than it otherwise might have - if there's a tough planet or station in your way and it takes a long time to deal with it, that has a good chance of meaningfully impacting the course of the war even if you are technically capable of overcoming it given infinite time

the forced truce and grabbing as much as you can before it happens is much more interesting than the alternative of civ-style forever total wars once you get used to it, and as was mentioned, you do have a precise-to-the-day countdown for two years before it happens

also remember that this works for you too - while it may limit your gains, it limits your losses in wars against superior opponents as well

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 19, 2018

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

King of Solomon posted:

E: But yeah, the main problem is that the game just forced a truce on me. Is there a recommended mod that turns that off? I really dislike that it did that.

you can blow up inhibitors with your fleet you just bombard the poo poo out of the planet, not recommended against fallen empires as destroying their neato buildings makes taking their poo poo a lot worse

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

violent sex idiot posted:

you can blow up inhibitors with your fleet you just bombard the poo poo out of the planet, not recommended against fallen empires as destroying their neato buildings makes taking their poo poo a lot worse

I don't think it was letting me do that? Maybe the way I configured my war policy just disabled orbital bombardment, I'm not sure.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

I don't think it was letting me do that? Maybe the way I configured my war policy just disabled orbital bombardment, I'm not sure.

All forms of bombardment will seek out strongholds and eventually ruin them. Selective Bombardment is less damaging so it can take longer for it to neuter FTL blocking. In general though, I rely on fleets to knock down the defensive armies and then invade with armies of my own that accompany my navy, as that is usually faster. Once I got used to the system, it felt fine to me.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Soooo, does anyone know why rogue servitors can't trade food? Please help, my protectorate's people are dying. Or, does anyone know a mod that allows this? I looked and couldn't find one.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Soooo, does anyone know why rogue servitors can't trade food? Please help, my protectorate's people are dying. Or, does anyone know a mod that allows this? I looked and couldn't find one.

Synthetic empires can't trade food, apparently as a result of a balance issue. Probably it supports the AI, which otherwise is typically desperate for as much food as possible even when it's a fundamentally useless resource. You could try trading them minerals so they could build farms or trade for food.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Robots used to be able to offer food as tribute to prevent Marauder raids which was amusing given I had zero food stockpiled every time I did that. :unsmith:

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Baronjutter posted:

I'm honestly wondering if sectors will even still exist.

I'm hoping that they will use this system to remove the sectors. One of the ways I can see it working, from reading the diary about the choice of turning a planet into a mining or a hub, that each governor will rule from a planet and their influence will decay for each hop away from the planet. So for planets far away you either build a "admin hub" to boost that influence or hire a leader. Then the influence will affect the infrastructure, so you will basically get the same negative effects as having more core planets, but in a more logical way.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The more I play with Barbaric Despoilers, the more I realize they... just don't work. Raiding wars don't offer enough of a reward when you win, aren't easier to win, and if you're raiding a planet you might as well just go for Conquest because then you get ALL the pops and the planet to boot.

Barbaric Despoilers are encouraging a play-style that just doesn't exist in Stellaris right now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

The more I play with Barbaric Despoilers, the more I realize they... just don't work. Raiding wars don't offer enough of a reward when you win, aren't easier to win, and if you're raiding a planet you might as well just go for Conquest because then you get ALL the pops and the planet to boot.

Barbaric Despoilers are encouraging a play-style that just doesn't exist in Stellaris right now.

Ideally it should work like raiding in CK2. Allowing you to set fleets to a "raiding stance" which makes the fleet hostile to the owner of any (non-allied I guess) system it enters and allows the extraction of wealth and abuction of pops by bombarding. The target of such a raid should possibly receive a CB to with a wargoal that forbids raiding for a number of years or something along those lines, in addition to hefty relations boost.

If this is possible then a "blockade stance" (probably to be locked behind policies and ethics) for normal empires would also be cool, allowing you to cut off a planet from a trade route and stop imports and exports, without declaring war.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jazerus posted:

the forced truce and grabbing as much as you can before it happens is much more interesting than the alternative of civ-style forever total wars once you get used to it, and as was mentioned, you do have a precise-to-the-day countdown for two years before it happens

Exactly. It's a great mechanic that you're limited to nibbling, if you're not fast or strong enough to bombard and murder everything in order to 100% your enemy. It feels like a good tradeoff between EU4's claims and advanced CB.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I'm hoping that the upcoming update will encourage growth, trade, and economic diversity in such a way that Barbaric Despoilers can really flourish. As it is there's not really a reason to prioritize growth since planets fill up quickly and without effort already, and the other rewards for raiding barely cover the cost of the war itself. Ideally Despoilers would act as a militant tall build - abusing your neighbors while you build up your core worlds, and eventually encouraging them to become your vassals.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Fired the game up for the first time since I think my playthrough when Utopia launched. I enjoyed it at launch and then, just not as much as some other games. The way the game is now, though, and with a handful of mods, I find this incredibly engrossing. I think I'll set Civ 5 VP aside for awhile and try to get better at this game. I thought I was going to wait until 2.2 to really jump back in and have fun but it's been a blast so far.

And just as a general thing, the soundtrack to this game continues to be among the best out there, I think.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Anno posted:

Fired the game up for the first time since I think my playthrough when Utopia launched. I enjoyed it at launch and then, just not as much as some other games. The way the game is now, though, and with a handful of mods, I find this incredibly engrossing. I think I'll set Civ 5 VP aside for awhile and try to get better at this game. I thought I was going to wait until 2.2 to really jump back in and have fun but it's been a blast so far.

And just as a general thing, the soundtrack to this game continues to be among the best out there, I think.

Soundtracks awesome that's for sure. I am a bit the opposite though, I think it's a lot slower now. You can't have your fleet explore, you have to send science ships everywhere first. I liked scouting systems with loads of bodies for the big resources there. I don't like that you need to scan the entire system before you can slap down an outpost where before you could scan the star, put an outpost down for the influence zone and finish scanning later. I don't like that you need an outpost in every single system too rather than an influence zone from one outpost covering multiple stars and I don't like being forced to use hyper lanes.

I know lots of people think it's an improvement but it just feels off to me.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I actually find the soundtrack to be so-so, personally. I usually have ES2 or Homeworld tracks playing and turn off all the Stellaris ones.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'd call you a bad but the Homeworld soundtracks are also works of art, so I'm at a loss.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I like Stellaris' OST a lot because the sound fonts and language do a lot to define the feel of the game. It has a lot of good sci-fi synth that feels really good for the themes of exploration and discovery the game focuses on.

The Endless games OSTs are also very good and Homeworld is good but also has specific story beats so its soundtrack can build around that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You should be able to build a biodome district that has perfect habitability for any pop at the cost of slightly shittier stats than regular cities. This would be a tech directly before habitats like some kinda "protomegaengineering"

It'd be really hard to make it work with the ui I think and probably wouldn't make sense seeing artificial worlds are gonna work different now.
E: unless each biodome district just increased the whole planet's habitability and if you built enough it could become a slapped together gaia world

It would be cool if habitats got deposits based on whatever they orbited, like gas giants could give hydrocarbons and radiation belts or something

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I always pictured gaia worlds like this:

Due to some quirk of space geology, it's so finely stratified with multiple biomes that any preference could live in and exploit any arbitrary block of land with no major problems

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You should be able to build a biodome district that has perfect habitability for any pop at the cost of slightly shittier stats than regular cities. This would be a tech directly before habitats like some kinda "protomegaengineering"

It'd be really hard to make it work with the ui I think and probably wouldn't make sense seeing artificial worlds are gonna work different now.
E: unless each biodome district just increased the whole planet's habitability and if you built enough it could become a slapped together gaia world

It would be cool if habitats got deposits based on whatever they orbited, like gas giants could give hydrocarbons and radiation belts or something

I've always wished terraforming was framed in something like this instead of the current implementation. For such an unimaginably massive project as changing the climate and biosphere of an entire planet to any arbitrary configuration in a decade or so, the cost and the actual consequence of doing it seems unintuitively minor.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Thrasophius posted:

Soundtracks awesome that's for sure. I am a bit the opposite though, I think it's a lot slower now. You can't have your fleet explore, you have to send science ships everywhere first. I liked scouting systems with loads of bodies for the big resources there. I don't like that you need to scan the entire system before you can slap down an outpost where before you could scan the star, put an outpost down for the influence zone and finish scanning later. I don't like that you need an outpost in every single system too rather than an influence zone from one outpost covering multiple stars and I don't like being forced to use hyper lanes.

I know lots of people think it's an improvement but it just feels off to me.

I can definitely see how people wouldn't like the changes. I'm a crazy person who plays at no higher than "Fast", though, so I love the slower pace.

HiKaizer posted:

I like Stellaris' OST a lot because the sound fonts and language do a lot to define the feel of the game. It has a lot of good sci-fi synth that feels really good for the themes of exploration and discovery the game focuses on.

Yeah this is definitely the reason. Basically all the tracks are built around heightening the sense of exploration and discovery that the game is so good at. It's what the soundtrack to Mass Effect Andromeda should've been if that whole game wasn't some nightmare identity crisis.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'd call you a bad but the Homeworld soundtracks are also works of art, so I'm at a loss.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I always pictured gaia worlds like this:

Due to some quirk of space geology, it's so finely stratified with multiple biomes that any preference could live in and exploit any arbitrary block of land with no major problems
I think you mean, "All Gaia worlds should look like the cover of Yes albums."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this is true and all gaia worlds should absolutely look like Yes album covers. Fuckin, it would take an hour to pull together all the covers probly.

I'm talkin even the weird more abstract ones. Obviously that's what synths see when they look at gaia worlds

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anno posted:

I can definitely see how people wouldn't like the changes. I'm a crazy person who plays at no higher than "Fast", though, so I love the slower pace.

Yeah this is definitely the reason. Basically all the tracks are built around heightening the sense of exploration and discovery that the game is so good at. It's what the soundtrack to Mass Effect Andromeda should've been if that whole game wasn't some nightmare identity crisis.

MEA wax riddled with problems but it wanted to be a Lesbian Turian Dating Sim and boy did it satisfy!

I love the Stellaris ost but I have the better part of 2000 hours in the game so I do tend to augment it, superb as Andreas is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah if I had a slight complaint it's that all the planets look very... Earthy. Which makes sense and I am not like asking for them all to be hugely weird, but I think minor shifts in tint and hue or in tile/background art could make a big impact in terms of it being an alien world.

Yes covers are probably the far end of what ought to be there.