Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Selachian posted:

Well, of course -- it's made with soothing lanolin!

As for monkeys with guns, the card game / RPG Feng Shui includes a whole faction of heavily armed cyborg monkeys, with names like Furious George, Battlechimp Potemkin, Che Gorilla, and more.

Fuckin lol

I hope Battlechimp Potemkin has an unreasonable issue with long flights of stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phy posted:

Fuckin lol

I hope Battlechimp Potemkin has an unreasonable issue with long flights of stairs
Looks like he can get up and down them just fine

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kalli posted:

Doom Patrol #34

This is the greatest comic story ever told.

The Brain steals the new prototype body that was being made for Cliff "Robotman" Steele, which had secretly gained sentience and planned to blow himself up once Cliff was inside him. Once Mallah puts The Brain inside the body, they declare their long standing secret love for each other, kiss, then explode. No moral.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Reposting a classic

If you all have never played goon cult favorite and space murder simulator Space Station 13, that screenshot is a good summary of the game

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is Golden Age sci-fi comics distilled to their purest form.

Silver age. The silver age was defined by the SF elements. Julie Schwartz was in charge of DC at the time and he had been an assistant to John W. Campbell, the editor who basically shaped what science fiction was more than anybody else. The golden age's science fiction tended to be extremely slight. Superman might have come from another planet where people had the proportional leaping ability of grasshoppers, but who gave a poo poo about Krypton when there were mobsters to be punched. SF stuff was treated very perfunctory in the golden age. It was during the silver age that everyone fought aliens every other week, characters got origins that were "science" based, and DC published multiple SF anthology books.

There is a superbrief bumper in the hazy zone between golden and silver age where you do see SF stuff show up more, but I consider that part of the transition.

tl;dr, have a picture of a monkey with four guns.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I realized that long after the point where I could go back and edit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What age was Stardust the Super Wizard from?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
No guns, but you don't need them when you're a real ace face.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zereth posted:

What age was Stardust the Super Wizard from?
Early golden age.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Did someone say more apes with guns?

And as a counteractive, here's a chilled-out hepcat ape.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

No guns, but you don't need them when you're a real ace face.

What's double strange about the Mod Gorilla Boss is that years later they tried to get interest going for Animal Man again (this was just before G-Mo started his series) and he admitted to Wonder Woman that that adventure was all a publicity stunt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It needs to be said that the reason DC had so many gorillas and apes in the silver age was that their sales showed that the comics with apes on the covers had sold noticeably better than the others a couple times, so there was a company wide mandate to do more ape stories. The apes didn't even need to be that involved in the story, as long as it let them put an ape on the cover.

~artistic integrity~

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Worth it for Gorilla Grodd alone.
The fantastic gorilla covers were just a bonus.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Does anyone have that panel of Wolverine just riding his motorcycle peacefully until he runs into a razorwire trap set up by Sabertooth, who then taunts him before flying away with a loving jetpack?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

Does anyone have that panel of Wolverine just riding his motorcycle peacefully until he runs into a razorwire trap set up by Sabertooth, who then taunts him before flying away with a loving jetpack?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It needs to be said that the reason DC had so many gorillas and apes in the silver age was that their sales showed that the comics with apes on the covers had sold noticeably better than the others a couple times, so there was a company wide mandate to do more ape stories. The apes didn't even need to be that involved in the story, as long as it let them put an ape on the cover.

~artistic integrity~

dc was right and should return to their gorilla-centric line up.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Luckily his jacket and jeans had a healing factor too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I like to think that Sabertooth spent most of the day cleaning up all the dead bodies that went through that trap before Wolverine did.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GrandpaPants posted:

I like to think that Sabertooth spent most of the day cleaning up all the dead bodies that went through that trap before Wolverine did.

I like to think he just set up a new trap a bit further up the road every time that happened.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wolverine blissfully driving by corpses.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The most amazing thing is that it cut the motorcycle into little bits. The wire must be impossibly sharp.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

prefect posted:

The most amazing thing is that it cut the motorcycle into little bits. The wire must be impossibly sharp.

Snikt?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

prefect posted:

You think Logan wasn't speeding?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like to imagine Sabretooth setting it up like Wile E. Coyote, sneaking from rock to bush to tree with every step punctuated with a piano note.

doon doon doon

doon doon doon!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Impressively, it split into a thousand pieces, and yet there's no fluids spewing everywhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Impressively, it split into a thousand pieces, and yet there's no fluids spewing everywhere.

They tried to keep it as PG as possible.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The bike was actually made of Duplo blocks

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is actually a bike Sabertooth was fixing up when Wolverine showed up

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Wolverine was holding it together with his telekinetic powers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Those trees are actually portals to the razor wire dimension.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Later on karma comes in the form of Deadpool.

Of course then Deadpool comes up and tries to fight him instead of mocking him and flying away on a jetpack, so it's not as good

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Note to writer: next time, make sure artist knows what a pez dispenser is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Note to writer: next time, make sure artist knows what a pez dispenser is.

?

A head that's only attached by a flap of skin and the spine is pretty much a PEZ dispenser.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a pretty loving evocative choice of words all the same.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What you think a Pez dispenser should do: open up jaw and pop out a candy like the cartoon character is barfing up sweet-flavored chalk
What a Pez dispenser actually does: the entire head tilts back so it's more like the sweet-flavored chalk is being barfed out a tracheostomy hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

?

A head that's only attached by a flap of skin and the spine is pretty much a PEZ dispenser.

Yeah, but even that's not what I'm seeing here? It just looks like Creed's bleeding profusely from the throat. Just seems like the writer had something more gruesome in mind, but maybe that's me projecting.