Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
They've been desperately stalling while working through the portables so they can match up W and Alpha 3 since OGG. It's gonna be real weird if they go into space and just fight The Database.

With how long they've been teasing Banpreios I'm gonna be real mad if it can't separate. I've been waiting over a decade to see the AR-series, don't leave me hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Just go straight into the Z series and throw up the double deuce.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

So introducing Mist Rex and Hibiki in the same game?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Which Z, Mazinger or the sign of the Zeta?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Which Z, Mazinger or the sign of the Zeta?

https://lparchive.org/Super-Robot-Wars-Z/

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's too bad Z is such a case of starting out blindingly strong and then going downhill with each game.

I'm still willing to tell people to play Z standalone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Caphi posted:

It's too bad Z is such a case of starting out blindingly strong and then going downhill with each game.

I'm still willing to tell people to play Z standalone.

Z2-Part 1 also.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

MarsDragon posted:

They've been desperately stalling while working through the portables so they can match up W and Alpha 3 since OGG. It's gonna be real weird if they go into space and just fight The Database.

With how long they've been teasing Banpreios I'm gonna be real mad if it can't separate. I've been waiting over a decade to see the AR-series, don't leave me hanging.

That's why I'm expecting them to throw K into the Alpha 3 mix. That gives them a fourth space-based enemy faction after the Balmar main force, Zuvorg war profiteers, and the Database.

Although, that still leaves a lot of Shadow-Mirror loose ends too... and there are plenty of things that changed between Alpha and OG timelines. Things like:
* The Cross Gate's destruction at the end of Moon Dwellers
* There being a lot less room for Selena to get Villetta and Spectra confused
* Son Ganlong not missing the Sealing War
* JakuBuOh/BuOhKi's explicit destruction, instead of being missing the whole time
* Ing being a Cobray knockoff before Cobray even shows up
* Touma being an experienced mech pilot (and an outlaw) instead of a normal civilian until now
* Ryusei and Kushua never getting imprisoned for a game each

That leaves plenty of room for new twists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MightyPretenders posted:

That's why I'm expecting them to throw K into the Alpha 3 mix. That gives them a fourth space-based enemy faction after the Balmar main force, Zuvorg war profiteers, and the Database.

Although, that still leaves a lot of Shadow-Mirror loose ends too... and there are plenty of things that changed between Alpha and OG timelines. Things like:
* JakuBuOh/BuOhKi's explicit destruction, instead of being missing the whole time
* Touma being an experienced mech pilot (and an outlaw) instead of a normal civilian until now

There's also no Astranagant in the OGverse so Cobray's stuff is going to have to change quite a bit (including a new mecha) or they're going to have to introduce it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

There's also no Astranagant in the OGverse so Cobray's stuff is going to have to change quite a bit (including a new mecha) or they're going to have to introduce it.
Is there some reason there can’t be? My memory is hazy on that unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there some reason there can’t be? My memory is hazy on that unit.

It's not impossible. The Astranagant was Ingram's personal unit and was replaced by the R-Gun Rivale in the OGverse, but they recently introduced the Galinagant which is a very similar unit with a different pilot so they could just introduce the Astranagant in a different way.

That said the fact that INGRAM piloted the Astranagant is kind of important to it, but Ingram is also full of nonsense bullshit so...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 19, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

There's some stuff to indicate that OG Cobray could upgrade by merging with Alpha Cobray, completing the Dis Astranagant without need of an OG version of the Astra. That would simplify if not outright remove part of his character arc involving Ingram's ghost, but that in turn means Ingram's ghost is free for other shenanigans.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Well KND would at least have some good music considering GWAR did music for an episode

Dexter's Laboratory would work better though

I think there might even be enough cartoons that have mechs or jets in them that you can conceivably make a full roster? Off the top of my head there's Gravity Falls, new Voltron, Megas XLR, Sym-Bionic Titan, Transformers, Robotech (if you want to mess with some of the purists :v:).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Of note is that it's not hard to take pretty much everything in the entire story of Gaia Savior as screaming that they know what happened in Alpha, it's canonically completely off the rails (largely because of poo poo Euzeth did specifically, deliberately to diverge the plot from Alpha, but there's also all that stuff with the Granzon), and therefore OG will not be doing it remotely as-is. This is only reinforced by Moon Dwellers.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

amigolupus posted:

I think there might even be enough cartoons that have mechs or jets in them that you can conceivably make a full roster? Off the top of my head there's Gravity Falls, new Voltron, Megas XLR, Sym-Bionic Titan, Transformers, Robotech (if you want to mess with some of the purists :v:).

The real question is if there's enough western real robot stuff.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Mechwarrior

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Getsuya posted:

Mechwarrior

Mechwarrior and Battletech would be a great addition but it'll be hard to pick a "hero" from the Battletech world that isn't back stabbing or Games of Thronesy. Unless they go new OG character for it. Exosquad would be fun but I'm not sure who even owns the rights to it anymore. Transformers is an obvious but I think Banpresto and Takara aren't on speaking terms.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To hell with Mechwarrior, put in Armored Core.

I wanna field a team with Evangel, Zinaida, and Leos Klein

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

There's also the wrinkle of the Masokishin units being around for the Sealing War, but then becoming inoperative (mostly, because of course Masaki gets the half-assed handout that keeps Cybuster running) due to the major elemental spirits of La Gias suffering a serious case of Most Likely Very Dead. Plus, IIRC La Gias itself isn't holding up too well as those elemental spirits kind of held the world together, so there potentially is an avenue for La Gias refugees coming to Earth causing havoc and who knows what (and potentially further expanding the playable roster to MUGEN levels of absurd). Also, that might tie up some loose ends from the Masokishin games like Ellis falling off the face of reality and Rodney having no issue with the fact that his pregnant wife is completely missing. Good job there, Pride of Justice.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

Mechwarrior and Battletech would be a great addition but it'll be hard to pick a "hero" from the Battletech world that isn't back stabbing or Games of Thronesy. Unless they go new OG character for it. Exosquad would be fun but I'm not sure who even owns the rights to it anymore. Transformers is an obvious but I think Banpresto and Takara aren't on speaking terms.

Greyson? He seems the most like a sane Gundam character trapped in a lovely Sci-Fi world

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Justin_Brett posted:

Does G-Saviour count? :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Race Realists posted:

Greyson? He seems the most like a sane Gundam character trapped in a lovely Sci-Fi world

You know, considering what the Universal Century is like, the fact a Gundam character is a massive step up in terms of morals and grounding says very bad things about the general population of the Battletech setting.

You get the feeling the average Zabi would be remembered as an unusually trustworthy and heroic leader by local standards.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, it partially depends how you define JRPG and how you define giant mechs, I suppose. Off the top of my head, and ignoring SRW itself...

Final Fantasy VI has the magitek armor
A minigame in Final Fantasy XIII and possibly some of the summons, depending how you count them
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars
Front Mission
Vanguard Bandits
MS Saga: New Dawn
NieR: Automata has the flight units.

Should be a start.

Final Fantasy IX has a mecha that is also a winged holy spirit that is also a castle. :getin:

Aithon fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 19, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aithon posted:

Final Fantasy IX has a mecha that is also a winged holy spirit that is also a castle. :getin:

You mention FFIX and don't mention the actual literal transforming mecha ship in it? Whose summon animation might as well literally be a SRW attack, up to and including a big earth-view explosion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ZY3wubL4

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Aithon posted:

Complete with Kuja Gundamjacking it from under our noses. That and Garland going KNOCK IT ALL DOWN on the thing without giving me a chance to play around with it made me very cross back in the day.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Guys... Persona 5 with Makoto Niijima/Queen as a Vega-like character

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Can't believe you've all forgotten Worker 8.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Race Realists posted:

Rhonda Snord. Basically she takes after her dad and would thus be the best mecha protagonist. Just trolling everyone, looting cool old stuff, playing Elvis over her robot speakers.

Or pretty much any Warhammer 40k ork with a Gargant. They are all basically Green Gokus whose technology mostly works because they think it does.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Everyone stop posting JRPG robots and consider the best JRPG robot.

Brute Justice, hero of goblin children everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdqUzOH_Hg

which has a final form where it grows wings and rider kicks the ground so hard it starts shooting fire everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDRsuABE-k&t=587s

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 20, 2018

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Man screw all these ideas! When will we get some Tech Romancer representation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wr0Qmhlvpo

Shoji Kawamori even designed all these cool knockoffs of other classic mechas too!

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Man screw all these ideas! When will we get some Tech Romancer representation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wr0Qmhlvpo

Shoji Kawamori even designed all these cool knockoffs of other classic mechas too!

This one's more fitting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

For American reals, I suppose Exosquad might work.

It was intentionally designed to pick up a lot of the things that made anime popular in the west. It was also ridiculously 90s looking, which would be amazing clashing off more grounded designs.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Man I just got to the stage in V where you fight Mazinger Zero, and seemingly every character has specific voiced lines just for this one particular boss. This series is amazing sometimes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's also plenty of Tabletop RPGs with mechas, like Jovian Chronicles or Heavy Gear or Trinity or Cthulhutech or Heavy Gear or Exalted.

And then there's cyborg stuff like Blade Runner or Gunnm.

Or let's go crazy and go for The Incal/Metabarons series.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ActionZero posted:

Everyone stop posting JRPG robots and consider the best JRPG robot.

Brute Justice, hero of goblin children everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdqUzOH_Hg

which has a final form where it grows wings and rider kicks the ground so hard it starts shooting fire everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDRsuABE-k&t=587s

Brute Justice is a huge Transformers reference and its rad.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
What's that? The next SRW's going to have both FF and Transformers? Great, I can finally do my full upgrade favorite run for Terra's Magitek Armor!

Terra's Magitek Armor has one passive ability, btw.

Gem Box: Gives unit the Act Twice ability.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 20, 2018

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hokuto posted:

What's that? The next SRW's going to have both FF and Transformers? Great, I can finally do my full upgrade favorite run for Terra's Magitek Armor!

Terra's Magitek Armor has one passive ability, btw.

Gem Box: Gives unit the Act Twice ability.

Nah, no way she can have that. She'll just need to settle for Repair, and all her attacks having 0 en cost.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Aww. At least Mog has dirt cheap Enable.

(It is a Fire Emblem reference.)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MightyPretenders posted:

Nah, no way she can have that. She'll just need to settle for Repair, and all her attacks having 0 en cost.

Bullshit :argh:

Next you'll tell me she doesn't get a team-up attack with Biggs and Wedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terra is one of those weird units who is better when you remove their Armored Carrier.

• Locked thread