Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I kind of wish the map was less a big square that you all encircle and more a windy trail with several paths, nooks and crannies you had to choose from. Insert from one end of the map and try to hunt the boss, or just make a sprint through the map to grind, or find a good spot near the exits to wait. The openness of the bayou is nice, but I would like to go off the beaten path a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

I kind of wish the map was less a big square that you all encircle and more a windy trail with several paths, nooks and crannies you had to choose from. Insert from one end of the map and try to hunt the boss, or just make a sprint through the map to grind, or find a good spot near the exits to wait. The openness of the bayou is nice, but I would like to go off the beaten path a little more.

At least it functionally isn't a square due to the water being a pretty lovely thing to deal with, even before ducks and the water devil. But I agree to a point, I would like more viable routes around the map.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Quicksilver6 posted:

I think they could - and should - do far more to encourage some off-the-trail exploration by adding more potential spawns for the clues, ones that are not directly inside the various compounds and POI's
They have already come a long way in adding several potential locations for each clue to appear - but having some that are out in the middle of nowhere (and subsequently surrounded by zombies) would make things more interesting, too.

I would also love to see something like a roaming mob of zombie enemies that 'patrols' around the map - clusters of 10 or more enemies that shamble around and are preferably attracted to the sounds of gunfire and player activity: an added pressure, and something that can take people by surprise, especially folks that are dicking around outside a boss battle waiting to clean up.

In keeping with the idea touted before: agitate the enemies once the bosses are engaged, and even more so while banished. Raise their alert levels, spawn new enemies where players aren't located, attract them towards the banishment - heck, add some more enemies around the extraction points, too. 'Replenish' the map, as such, to make it more dangerous for everyone once the final phase starts.

Another huge step would be to have an outdoor boss - something like the ghost witch from that Gilded Age trailer would be amazing: A flying enemy that moves around significantly while being engaged - and isn't necessarily tethered to a single location.

I can only expect they are adding more in these respects, though, and have plenty of entertainment to chew through in the meantime.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 19, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Knifegrab posted:

Calling this a BR game completely misses the point, diminishes, and honestly does a disservice to adequately describing this unique and rather awesome game.

lol, jesus. It's a neat game but come on.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

To me this is a much smaller-scale Day Z (the mod at least, I never played the standalone) with very clear objectives and progression.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol, jesus. It's a neat game but come on.

Name another game that is remotely like this game in tone, gameplay or atmosphere.

DayZ is like maybe the closest thing and honestly its not even close.

edit: What happens if the time runs out on a round?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 20, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

you get nothing and your hunter is considered lost

I was in discord with my 2 buddies today and listened as they got to the extraction wagon with 15 seconds left.......and when the time ran out and they still had 5 seconds left on the extraction countdown they lost everything.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Basticle posted:

you get nothing and your hunter is considered lost

I was in discord with my 2 buddies today and listened as they got to the extraction wagon with 15 seconds left.......and when the time ran out and they still had 5 seconds left on the extraction countdown they lost everything.

Brutal drat.

Someone raised the idea of the map getting more dangerous as time went on. And that was an interesting concept.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Knifegrab posted:

Name another game that is remotely like this game in tone, gameplay or atmosphere.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

ha, no across the board

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Respawning zombies and a more dangerous map would be great but the devs have said this is a PVP game and honestly that's where this game falls apart. Getting dunked on by a lvl 100 rank 3 with two crossbows is loving dumb every time.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Escape From Tarkov has pretty similar gameplay but with more modern military hardware. The focus is on PVPVE and trying to extract with as much loot gathered from NPCs and other players as possible so you can sell it for money or use it later. The PVE aspects are mostly there to drive the PVP and you can also permanently lose your gear if you haven't paid extra money to insure it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Elendil004 posted:

Respawning zombies and a more dangerous map would be great but the devs have said this is a PVP game and honestly that's where this game falls apart. Getting dunked on by a lvl 100 rank 3 with two crossbows is loving dumb every time.

Crossbows basically require you to get the jump - rendering them irrelevant. I've seen like 5 people using crossbows.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/uw19v

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Regrettable posted:

Escape From Tarkov has pretty similar gameplay but with more modern military hardware. The focus is on PVPVE and trying to extract with as much loot gathered from NPCs and other players as possible so you can sell it for money or use it later. The PVE aspects are mostly there to drive the PVP and you can also permanently lose your gear if you haven't paid extra money to insure it.

I'd really like to play EFT. I like the movement controls and combat. I loving hate inventory management in the middle of any game. EFT is completely ruined by inventory management set to 11: "Oh I gotta stick 5 sights on this gun I looted and then put this container in that container and nest everything and make sure all my good stuff is in the pay2win container and oh I guess I should go loot the body halfway across the map but just gotta nest one more container".

That's one reason I even bothered buying Hunt. It's pretty clear the devs aren't interested in matches being focused around managing your inventory instead of actually playing a game.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Crossbows basically require you to get the jump - rendering them irrelevant. I've seen like 5 people using crossbows.

Crossbows are really good. Yeah it's best to get the jump but if you have good aim and you're close (maybe a tiny bit further than shotgun range max) you can really destroy teams with 1-shot death. It really has a harsh damage dropoff; worse than small ammo. I honestly prefer one over a shotgun in most situations, but you need the reload perk to be useful.

Elendil004 posted:

Two crossbows is a dumb loadout tbh. Seems like skill or luck is more important in most cases.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 20, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Seems like skill or luck is more important in most cases.

As opposed to what :thunk:

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Elendil004 posted:

In close quarters like that fight I think the outcome would've been the same if they'd had a rifle and shotgun, just louder for him. It was a bad place for an engagement.

More granular skill based matchmaking would be nice but I doubt the game's population can support it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

Divine intervention

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

caedwalla posted:

More granular skill based matchmaking would be nice but I doubt the game's population can support it.

This is true. I feel that the 'gen pop' cut off being 33 is incredibly harsh. I dont consider myself a bad player at all but I know that if I'm in a game against multiple rank 100s I'm basically hosed no matter what. getting headshotted at 90m from someone you couldn't even see 5 games in a row just isnt fun.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Have the devs discussed looting weapons off dead dudes? It'd obviously need a videogamey block on looting your own teammate to stop envious randos from murdering you, but it seems like it'd be a nice way to implement a 100% commensurate reward for the risk of fighting someone that you know has a kickass gun. And the other way around, suddenly the sound of a really good weapon won't just be a benefit to you spooking off other players, it might draw in the greedier ones.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Rysithusiku posted:

getting headshotted at 90m from someone you couldn't even see 5 games in a row just isnt fun.

Unless this is a very good Mosin Sniper - not sure why that would be happening. You're being noticed too often (making too much noise) if this is the case.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Earlier in the Early Access phase dark vision had a severely limited range, you really had to check out the named locations to find the clues, like you didn't have the particle effect only the glow that's blocked by walls.

I feel like tweaking that back might help, maybe even eliminating dark vision, or only showing clues that have been discovered so everyone's groping in the dark at first then suddenly once one clue is found everyone is on the trail.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Unless this is a very good Mosin Sniper - not sure why that would be happening. You're being noticed too often (making too much noise) if this is the case.

I had several games in a row against really good moisin snipers, really good lrr snipers, and one guy who kept pinging me with a nitro in the chest from 80m with unholy accuracy

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I'm really interested in this game, particularly the country/occult aesthetic its got going for it, but I do need to echo the recent discussion: how bad and punishing can the game get at times?

1) Assuming the worst case where you keep getting sniped and losing cash/hunters: is it even possible to dig yourself out of that hole, or is it a never-ending 'rich-get-richer, poor-get-poorer' situation? And even if you can dig yourself out, is it fun and challenging to do so, or is it an annoying grind?

2) On the more subtle side of things: what about respawning into a new game from death? Is it fairly quick and painless to get back to playing after dying or are there long load times/matchmaking and prep work each time, adding insult to injury?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i can say from a few of the community manager streams of this game that i've watched, getting back into the action seemed pretty painless. the CM spent more time faffing around on the selection screen than she did matchmaking or loading, and that was entirely because she needed time to answer questions and poo poo.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

FutureCop posted:

2) On the more subtle side of things: what about respawning into a new game from death? Is it fairly quick and painless to get back to playing after dying or are there long load times/matchmaking and prep work each time, adding insult to injury?

It is not quick. The loading/matchmaking process is usually like 5 minutes for me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Coolguye posted:

i can say from a few of the community manager streams of this game that i've watched, getting back into the action seemed pretty painless. the CM spent more time faffing around on the selection screen than she did matchmaking or loading, and that was entirely because she needed time to answer questions and poo poo.

Oh, come on. I like this game but the load times stink -- even on SSD. It's still early access and not as optimized and it will be eventually.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FutureCop posted:

I'm really interested in this game, particularly the country/occult aesthetic its got going for it, but I do need to echo the recent discussion: how bad and punishing can the game get at times?

1) Assuming the worst case where you keep getting sniped and losing cash/hunters: is it even possible to dig yourself out of that hole, or is it a never-ending 'rich-get-richer, poor-get-poorer' situation? And even if you can dig yourself out, is it fun and challenging to do so, or is it an annoying grind?

1) Even with a zero bayou bucks balance you can hire hunters and work your way out by managing to simply collect clues, discovering the bounty, killing mooks and extracting. Whether or not that's fun and challenging to you depends on your perspective. I'm fully prepared to do this myself and while I'm not looking forward to the possibility, it's just good to know I'll never be unable to play the game entirely.

2) You can get shot and killed and back into another game with a new hunter and cued for a new match in probably about 5 minutes. How long it takes for the game to find you a match to plop you into depends on if you're running solo or duo. I honestly have never waited more than a couple of minutes for the game to place me into a match and load into it. How much it hurts again, depends on you.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 21, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also getting cash from killing hunters is random loot drop - most money is derived from clues and bounties. Once you understand where the spawn points are and understand the importance of audio - you won't be getting killed every game, especially right out of the gate.

If someone snipes you from nowhere it's because:

1) They found you
2) They positioned themselves favorably with respect to you
3) They aimed at your head and hit it

Every one of those factors can be mitigated by you and how you play, every one can be used by you to do the same, and every one is independent of Bloodline rank. (Exception: sniper rifles on point 2)

Most people also have to prestige to keep the leveling cash flow - expensive weapons like auto mosins, nitros, and mosin snipers are relatively rare to run across.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh, come on. I like this game but the load times stink -- even on SSD. It's still early access and not as optimized and it will be eventually.

all i can tell you is what i saw on stream, bro. guess that isn't a standard experience.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Basticle posted:

anti-skill and anti-luck. Those are what spawns a tier-3 hunter with dual crossbows hiding in the bushes behind you.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 21, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It's about a 5 minute load time for me, too. Every now and then it'll be half that, but it's definitely not a quick load.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FutureCop posted:

For your first question, as long as you stick to cheaper hunters/items when you're learning the game, you should be fine for money. I'm level 37 or something and despite going on a losing streak after hitting genpop T2/3 I still have over 9K in cash and cheapo dudes can often be bought and equipped for as little as $100. From what I understand, money was a bigger problem in earlier versions, but now you start with 3000 in the bank and every few levels give you an extra 1000.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've put like a hundred+ hours into this dumb game and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been killed by a dedicated sniper rifle, and all of those were scoped Sparks while I was dicking around with a clue or something. I honestly get more headers without a scope than with, because the extremely narrow field of view on the scope makes it difficult to hit someone that knows you are there.

I have been killed a shitload by Dolches though.

On the subject of money, the game isn't bad. A lot of the low cost weapons can get poo poo done. The Winny is a workhorse, the machete is incredibly deadly, etc. Sometimes you get a string of bad beats and you'll bleed cash, but you really have to just go balls out on equipment every time to go absolutely broke.

I saw RabbleWrangler end up with tier 0s once, and the salt was good.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Having a cheap Tier 1 loadout gives you the passive benefit of the: "Don't care, lol" factor which makes you very aggressive and deadly.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/0dwyb

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

I want to click these at work so bad.

Goon tales from the Swamp:

Former goon and I are playing. We're pretty good at duo's because he's respectable at range and I am respectable with a shotgun - good compliments.

We mow down two solo guys we stalked from Stillwater to Lodebay Docks, track the Butcher to Davant Ranch. He is promptly brought down and we fortify the barn above the basement arena. Two dudes begin approaching from the SE (They must have been sniffing around docks because of the noise)

My buddy opens one of the shutters in the top of the barn to fire off a few shots, but he gets instagibbed by a Mosin headshot or some other quick and lethal hit. (gently caress) So I just park it underneath and wait. I hear the guys come around to a door which I trapped, I'm basically just waiting on the other side of a wall facing the door.

One of the guys opens the door and steps right in the trap. I wait a second so he can start bandaging and rush in with my Romero hatchet. I noted several times ITT that hatchet is a guaranteed instant kill with a charged hit. Don't underestimate this thing. They both get chopped up before they can even react. :getin:

We ultimately end up in Reeker against the spider - two dudes took some very poor tactical positions underneath the arena and in the swamps. They didn't last long against my dolch precision. (Which has been growing on my a lot lately)

All said and done we made 1150 dollars each that round. :20bux:

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 21, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Having a cheap Tier 1 loadout gives you the passive benefit of the: "Don't care, lol" factor which makes you very aggressive and deadly.

can confirm that I have way more fun with a cheap-rear end hunter. As soon as I level a guy up and/or give him better guns I get super anxious and claim I'll play more cautiously and then end up getting one-shotted by a guy I never saw.

I've come to terms with the fact that making a lot of noise will get you killed but being stationary will also get you killed. Don't run around scaring birds obviously, but if you stand still for even a second you'll get a bullet in the brain. Witness me trying to line up a shot on a guy who has no idea I'm there but dancing around: I never get hits.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

can confirm that I have way more fun with a cheap-rear end hunter. As soon as I level a guy up and/or give him better guns I get super anxious and claim I'll play more cautiously and then end up getting one-shotted by a guy I never saw.

I've come to terms with the fact that making a lot of noise will get you killed but being stationary will also get you killed. Don't run around scaring birds obviously, but if you stand still for even a second you'll get a bullet in the brain. Witness me trying to line up a shot on a guy who has no idea I'm there but dancing around: I never get hits.

You might be engaging too far away, try getting a bit closer before you open up.

If you are sneaking up on someone, you can basically get within accurate Winny range and (if you want) you can rush them to well within effective shotgun range before they realize they're hearing footsteps. By the time they turn and go "huh?" you've already pulled the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm talking like 25-50 foot range here