Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Marenghi posted:

Meet a water sommelier. Visit his restaurant of 100 different kinds of bottled water which cost up to $20 a bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAoK4Pk_Nec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Screaming Idiot posted:

BACON SOAP BACON CONDOMS BACON MEMBERSHIPS BACON LOTION BACON BEARD WAX BACON ANAL LUBE BACON BACON BACOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!

Good post for that av

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Marenghi posted:

Meet a water sommelier. Visit his restaurant of 100 different kinds of bottled water which cost up to $20 a bottle.

This is awesome

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Marenghi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jckNf781II

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Can we talk about how hosed education is? I know a lot of teachers, and every single one is a burnt out hust of a person who hates the bullshit that comes with their job with a passion and all of them are planning to get out of their 'dream career' as soon as possible. Don't forget how little they get paid, how condescending everyone is towards the professions ('Oh I went to school once, teaching must be really easy!', 'Oh but you get such a long holiday!'), and how powerless they are both in the classroom and vs parents who only see their kids for a few hours every day and occasionally on weekends.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
This is a really good non-fiction book about homeless day laborers. People act like poo poo is so easy if you just work. Really recommend this.

"Mohammed Ashraf studied biology, became a butcher, a tailor, and an electrician’s apprentice; now he is a homeless day laborer in the heart of old Delhi. How did he end up this way? In an astonishing debut, Aman Sethi brings him and his indelible group of friends to life through their adventures and misfortunes in the Old Delhi Railway Station, the harrowing wards of a tuberculosis hospital, an illegal bar made of cardboard and plywood, and into Beggars Court and back onto the streets."

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Phrosphor posted:

Can we talk about how hosed education is? I know a lot of teachers, and every single one is a burnt out hust of a person who hates the bullshit that comes with their job with a passion and all of them are planning to get out of their 'dream career' as soon as possible. Don't forget how little they get paid, how condescending everyone is towards the professions ('Oh I went to school once, teaching must be really easy!', 'Oh but you get such a long holiday!'), and how powerless they are both in the classroom and vs parents who only see their kids for a few hours every day and occasionally on weekends.

I feel (and strongly hope) that the public's perception of public educators is slowly starting to acknowledge that they are treated like absolute disposable poo poo. I think all the recent protests have certainly helped

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

Burnout in the medical field is just as bad, and mostly from American medical professionals...for some unknown reason. Maybe they just need to work harder? Yes, that's it, definitely not that the doctor-patient relationship has mutated into a doctor-insurance bureaucracy relationship where the patient has become an unwelcome burden.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

Burnout in the medical field is just as bad, and mostly from American medical professionals...for some unknown reason. Maybe they just need to work harder? Yes, that's it, definitely not that the doctor-patient relationship has mutated into a doctor-insurance bureaucracy relationship where the patient has become an unwelcome burden.

doctors are just as complicit as the insurance industry

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

tfw you are too embarrassed to buy the mobility scooter.

No lies I saw someone drive theirs from the beach to a nearby store, load it up with beer and drive back to the beach.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

g0lbez posted:

I feel (and strongly hope) that the public's perception of public educators is slowly starting to acknowledge that they are treated like absolute disposable poo poo. I think all the recent protests have certainly helped

Yeah, but who isn't?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

DemonToadGoat posted:

Yeah, but who isn't?

Well according to public perception as long as you're not lazy then you too can be rich!

That's why it's always great when the public opinion starts to sway towards working for their own general interest such as teachers in this case

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

g0lbez posted:

Recent actual thing that happened.

Teacher recognises that a student is slightly behind average for their age group (turns out that this student has been behind for awhile, but no previous teacher has wanted to deal with the hassle of informing the parent), contacts parent to let them know and uses their spare time to prepare a development plan to help bring student up to speed (this is primary school, roughly 11-12 years old). Amount that student is behind isn't by very much, barely registers on metrics.

Parent loses their poo poo, complains to the school that the teacher is at fault for her child being behind, complains to teaching board that child is behind, threatens teacher on phone, comes into the school to threaten teacher, demands teacher comes into school early to personally tutor child (teacher stupidly agrees and the child Never shows up for these sessions), when parent is confronted about how this may affect how other pupils may be affects by this states that she doesn't care, only her child is important.

Parent runs a 'Lifestyle Advice Agency'.

This isn't a private school either.

I wish stories like that were isolated but they aren't. I have teaching friends who are breaking down in tears every day, terrified of parents and hate their jobs with a passion.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's so many moron rear end parents and I really don't know what the answer is for that

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Hit them with a bat

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Moridin920 posted:

There's so many moron rear end parents and I really don't know what the answer is for that

Having a school board that stands up for the teachers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

Recent actual thing that happened.

Teacher recognises that a student is slightly behind average for their age group (turns out that this student has been behind for awhile, but no previous teacher has wanted to deal with the hassle of informing the parent), contacts parent to let them know and uses their spare time to prepare a development plan to help bring student up to speed (this is primary school, roughly 11-12 years old). Amount that student is behind isn't by very much, barely registers on metrics.

Parent loses their poo poo, complains to the school that the teacher is at fault for her child being behind, complains to teaching board that child is behind, threatens teacher on phone, comes into the school to threaten teacher, demands teacher comes into school early to personally tutor child (teacher stupidly agrees and the child Never shows up for these sessions), when parent is confronted about how this may affect how other pupils may be affects by this states that she doesn't care, only her child is important.

Parent runs a 'Lifestyle Advice Agency'.

This isn't a private school either.

I wish stories like that were isolated but they aren't. I have teaching friends who are breaking down in tears every day, terrified of parents and hate their jobs with a passion.

Yeah, I've been teaching kindergarten this year and it's amazing how many teachers are in full "don't give a gently caress anymore" mode because it's so easy to get screwed if you try too hard.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Having a school board that stands up for the teachers.

They're often elected. Which means they'll screw over a teacher in a minute.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

Honestly, PTAs should be abolished and parents should have no say in how their children are educated. Leave the hard work to the professionals. Parents know nothing of educational principals, so why do we let them influence anything?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Marenghi posted:

They're all from the hose out back

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AutumnDDP posted:

Honestly, PTAs should be abolished and parents should have no say in how their children are educated. Leave the hard work to the professionals. Parents know nothing of educational principals, so why do we let them influence anything?

Aren’t ptas from the community which pays the Salary?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Maybe parents wouldn't be acting so crazy if the world weren't burning down and they weren't dealing with the slowly dawning realisation that merit will not be enough to save their kids.

'Doing well in school' used to be a guaranteed pathway to a comfortable life. Now suddenly people with university degrees can't get jobs, and even people with multiple degrees and jobs can't afford houses or kids or to go through one financial emergency without it being a disaster.

Clearly the solution lies in cut-throat competitive 7am-7pm preschool classes for toddlers and screaming yourself hoarse at the principal because doesn't that teacher understand what's at stake??? and not with tackling wage equality or eating the rich.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

AutumnDDP posted:

I certainly feel like there's a middle ground here

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AutumnDDP posted:

Without PTAs the parents will get restless and nobody wants that. Idle hands and all that. They just have too much power in a lot of communities.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

g0lbez posted:

I certainly feel like there's a middle ground here

No. We don't let people influence decisions in other professional spaces, so why should education be different?

Edit: I realize that was a little rude, so let me elaborate. Parents don't know much about education, since they don't spend much time researching it . Education is actually quite complex, which is why people get college degrees in it. Parents obviously know a lot about their kids since they raised them; however, they are still not educational professionals. This is why, ever though you've raised your child from birth, you might not actually know what's best for him.

AutumnDDP has issued a correction as of 04:59 on Aug 20, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AutumnDDP posted:

No. We don't let people influence decisions in other professional spaces, so why should education be different?

Because it's not always a bad idea for parents to have a say in how their children are educated. Yes, there are plenty of screaming mothers who INSIST that Tommy making GBS threads on the floor during arithmatic means he is a precious indigo child, but there's also plenty of parents who see that some teachers just don't give a gently caress, whether it's because they're burnt out or if it's simply because they're in the wrong profession, and sometimes parents need to be able to speak up to have something done.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because it's not always a bad idea for parents to have a say in how their children are educated. Yes, there are plenty of screaming mothers who INSIST that Tommy making GBS threads on the floor during arithmatic means he is a precious indigo child, but there's also plenty of parents who see that some teachers just don't give a gently caress, whether it's because they're burnt out or if it's simply because they're in the wrong profession, and sometimes parents need to be able to speak up to have something done.

It seems like there's a chicken and egg problem here, many teachers get burned out (not exclusively of course) because of parents trying to push an agenda or using them as nothing more than a daycare.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Although I think you have decent points, I'm going to hold back for a bit to see what other people say. Apparently I opened a can of worms lol.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
as an actual teacher

most parents don't raise their kids and then get mad at us because their kids are gremlins

Like, I've had a student straight-up tell me to go "Slit your loving wrists, SIR", because I asked him to take his hat off when he entered the classroom fifteen minutes late.

His mum got on my case and went straight to the Principal because said kid went home and told his mum that not only did he NOT say that, it was in fact me threatening him.

Clawtopsy has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Aug 20, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AutumnDDP posted:

Although I think you have decent points, I'm going to hold back for a bit to see what other people say. Apparently I opened a can of worms lol.

It's fair to say teachers have a lovely job with incredible high expectations for zero reward, where the route of least resistance is often the most profitable one. Sure, you could be Genesplicer and try to educate children, and deal with screaming fundies and rear end in a top hat parents of rear end in a top hat kids, or you could be the kind of teacher I would have become, and just keep your head down, let your kids watch movies and play on their phones and do nothing to teach or inspire them. Either way you get benefits and pay, and the latter way means you have it easier, with only the minor downside of ruining some kids' lives because oops Timmy can't add and thinks Jesus rode a raptor.

The entire education system is a loving quagmire of ineptitude that needs to be burnt to the ground and totally rebuilt, and it needs teachers and parents alike to stand up to the politicians who are truly at fault.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

To relate this to capitalism there's a lot of parents just checking right out of the public schools and either taking their kids to private schools, or building a community just outside of a large city, incorporating and creating a school system for rich people.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
On top of that, many private or other for-profit schools are leeching tax money from public schools, leaving poor schools poorer. If there's anything in this country as dire as the healthcare industry, it's education.

gently caress me, I'm gonna log out and drink myself to sleep.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's fair to say teachers have a lovely job with incredible high expectations for zero reward, where the route of least resistance is often the most profitable one. Sure, you could be Genesplicer and try to educate children, and deal with screaming fundies and rear end in a top hat parents of rear end in a top hat kids, or you could be the kind of teacher I would have become, and just keep your head down, let your kids watch movies and play on their phones and do nothing to teach or inspire them. Either way you get benefits and pay, and the latter way means you have it easier, with only the minor downside of ruining some kids' lives because oops Timmy can't add and thinks Jesus rode a raptor.

The entire education system is a loving quagmire of ineptitude that needs to be burnt to the ground and totally rebuilt, and it needs teachers and parents alike to stand up to the politicians who are truly at fault.

This doesn't really disprove my point, though. I understand what your saying, and how frustrating and crappy the modern educational system is. But, it doesn't mean that Joe Somebody should have anything to do with the educational process. Not everyone knows everything, and not everyone's opinion is equally valuable. Parents don't know anything at all about how to educate children, so they should have no say.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AutumnDDP posted:

Parents don't know anything at all about how to educate children, so they should have no say.

The government of the united states of america has proven itself to be an excellent, and trustworthy, entity.

Or are you in one of those "enlightened" european countries that forces immigrant children into state controlled "education" camps?

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

The government of the united states of america has proven itself to be an excellent, and trustworthy, entity.
You have thoroughly owned me and I'm angry right now! Also I'm American unfortunately.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Screaming Idiot posted:

On top of that, many private or other for-profit schools are leeching tax money from public schools, leaving poor schools poorer. If there's anything in this country as dire as the healthcare industry, it's education.

gently caress me, I'm gonna log out and drink myself to sleep.

In Australia the government in Victoria has an incentives system that rewards schools that achieve the best results in an incredibly divisive system of metrics (not getting into that quagmire here). The main issue is that the highest achieving schools get the incentives, whilst the ones struggling at the bottom of the ladder get nothing.

In the North East of Scotland there is a hideous teaching crises. The Scottish government offers 5000 pound incentives to any newly qualified teacher (who didn't graduate in the North East), to relocate there and teach. The Industry of the NE of Scotland revolves(ed) heavily around Oil. When the Oil prices crashed, there were suddenly thousands of under qualified off shore workers that found their terrible contracts (great pay, terrible job security) terminated. The Scottish government came up with a scheme to retrain these hands-on workers to be teachers to fill the void in the market for teachers in the public sector (don't worry all the oil execs who still had jobs send their kids to excellent private schools (a lot of these oil-workers used to as well)).

The teaching authority called in all currently working, degree holding, teachers and explained that they:

1: Needed to stop whining about how awful it was working in teaching in scotland because it is putting people off studying it (it's as bad as america with teachers buying their classroom supplies out of their own money and never ever being able to take time off).
2: Support these new teachers that will be joining their profession as equals
3: The crossover course for these new teachers will be an 11 week course

Now, on the surface, this is a good idea. And I think handled well, and with an adequate training programme this could have been a win/win for everyone.

Instead they pissed off all the teachers AND they pissed off all the oil workers because they suddenly had no other opportunities and they were previously earning shed loads of money.

Phrosphor has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Aug 20, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AutumnDDP posted:

You have thoroughly owned me and I'm angry right now!

I am pouring myself a celebratory mountain dew.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
only on SA can a bunch of computer janitors white knight for the homeless cardboard recyclers they look away from at stoplights on the way to work like a huge % of them don't have uncontrolled substance abuse problems or are just lazy af

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

thatguy posted:

only on SA can a bunch of computer janitors white knight for the homeless cardboard recyclers they look away from at stoplights on the way to work like a huge % of them don't have uncontrolled substance abuse problems or are just lazy af

I wave hello to them and acknowledge their existence unless they are mean to me and then I ignore em specifically because I know that's the most cruel thing you can do :twisted:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Maybe teachers just should stop working so hard and buying supplies with their own money they will never be reimbursed :smuggo: . They need to be more Capitalist and look out for their own enlightened self interest and gently caress society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

thatguy posted:

Lmao that more than one person has this mindset kill me now