Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Poltergeists in Prey. They don't pose a threat and are just a really annoying time waster. So far I haven't found any reliable way to kill them off besides "wait, shoot, repeat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FeastForCows posted:

Poltergeists in Prey. They don't pose a threat and are just a really annoying time waster. So far I haven't found any reliable way to kill them off besides "wait, shoot, repeat".

Mooncrash updated them to try and steal your weapon from you, I don't know if that got backported to the main game.

They can be GLOO'd to reveal them and the scanner also picks them up even when they're invisible. It's easy enough to spot them and just run up and shotgun them.

They're just kind of adorable in the main game because they can't do much to hurt you and they usually appear alone. In Mooncrash they can be genuinely dangerous because of the weapon-stealing QTE and showing up with other enemies.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The first time they appear is loving terrifying though, because the weird juddering they cause feels like the physics engine freaking out

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The "urban ninja" outfit in Resident Evil: Revelations 2 has to be just about the stupidest "sexy" costume I've seen in a videogame.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Orwell is kind of fun, but the artificial restriction that you cannot alter information once it's entered into the database is infuriating.

So you're a government spook electronically snooping on people. You discover a suspect's address only to realise that it's a false one when you eventually find their real address. However, as you've already entered the false address you cannot do anything with the new information, which goes on to impact the plot pretty majorly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I never heard of this game but a game named Orwell where you can't alter information seems... off-brand.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Necrothatcher posted:

Orwell is kind of fun, but the artificial restriction that you cannot alter information once it's entered into the database is infuriating.

So you're a government spook electronically snooping on people. You discover a suspect's address only to realise that it's a false one when you eventually find their real address. However, as you've already entered the false address you cannot do anything with the new information, which goes on to impact the plot pretty majorly.

This drove me nuts :cripes: especially since you CAN change their picture in the profile and stuff, but misclick something without realizing it's an important unchangable thing later? Get hosed buddy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The important unchangeable bits are highlighted in a very bright yellow, you can't really add it by accident.

Game still not good, but that's not an easy mistake to make.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Samuringa posted:

The important unchangeable bits are highlighted in a very bright yellow, you can't really add it by accident.

Game still not good, but that's not an easy mistake to make.

Well, I managed to do it - it just feels silly when you're chatting to the guy who's going to execute the sting on the wrong apartment and you can't interject and give them the right address. Granted this system is the one bit of actual decision-making gameplay in the whole game, but it's such an artificial conceit that it stands out a mile.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Aug 21, 2018

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Necrothatcher posted:

Well, I managed to do it - it just feels silly when you're chatting to the guy who's going to execute the sting on the wrong apartment and you can't interject and give them the right address. Granted this system is the one bit of actual decision-making gameplay in the whole game, but it's such an artificial conceit that it stands out a mile.

But this is like the entire point of the game.

You snoop on these people and get this sense of who they are and how they are connected to this terrorist attack. So you feed your handler this information and then you get new stuff about the suspect. This new stuff changes or contradicts your opinion of them and you are supposed to realize that the whole situation is pretty hosed up. The point of the game is you shouldn't be spying on your civilians because you can make some hosed up mistakes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The first time they appear is loving terrifying though, because the weird juddering they cause feels like the physics engine freaking out

Honestly as someone who grew up through the Source engine and plays Havok-enabled games on the regular, 90% of the time that an object shudders in front of me, my brain automatically goes into "oh the physics engine is just spazzing a bit" before realizing, often a moment too late, that it's actually a mimic that wants to eat my face.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I posted about this in the GBS thread a week ago and it's the dumbest most minor gripe ever, but the new Zachtronics game Exapunks is kind of hideous. It fits the aesthetic of the ~far flung cyberpunk future of 1999~ absolutely perfectly, but it's still gross to look at after how gorgeous Opus Magnum was.

The music, gameplay, story, and awesome 'zine feelies more than make up for it, the game owns, I just kind of wish it didn't look like an ugly SNES.

Also I apparently missed the print run for the 'zines by a single day and I am torn up about it, they're way more fun than the technical guides for Shenzhen I/O were.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My problem with Zachtronics is that one of the better, albeit not prolific, internet reviewers out there Matthewmatosis has spent the past six months doing videos solely on their games. They're all kind of similar (solve a problem and optimize the most the efficient method to solve problem) and so it's not very stimulating to watch.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

:psyduck:

They're basically puzzles. Really cool puzzles, but still puzzles. That sounds almost equivalent to someone LPing through a Sudoku book.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Simply Simon posted:

Also, Yoshi's Island level names: 1-6 is Shy-Guys on Stils in English, but "High Shy Guys" in Germany. And 1-7, Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy, is "Lustiges Sporen Drama".

:eyepop:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I doubt I will ever manage to get into any Fighting games more complicated than Smash Brothers so it kinda bums me out that Capcom hasn't done like, a big beat-em up game for Street Fighter like that Fist of the North Star game coming out soon-ish or Final Fight Streetwise but good. There's a ton of characters and I only like 14 of them at this point and I'm sure not gonna read a wiki about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14 has a thing where you "donate" items you can sell to NPCs and you receive a gratuity at a higher rate then if you sold the item to an NPC. As you do this and progress in that story line your rate gets higher. So the problem: The money you can get from this has a cap that resets every Tuesday. What is this cap? 20k. 20k. Once a week. Oh and that thing where you get more money as you advance? Yeah, your cap doesn't increase so as you advance the story, you hit that cap with less items sold.

At this stage in the game 20k is really chump change. I appreciate their attempt to make vendoring stuff to NPCs not quite so awful, but my lord that is a laughably small amount.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Destiny 2's PvP is a gigantic pile of poo poo. My presence in matches is an active detriment to whatever team I'm on because all of my opponents are twice my level and have orders of magnitude more time in the game than I do.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't think games can include both esports style pvp and pve raids in the same game without some huge drawback.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Leal posted:

FF14 has a thing where you "donate" items you can sell to NPCs and you receive a gratuity at a higher rate then if you sold the item to an NPC. As you do this and progress in that story line your rate gets higher. So the problem: The money you can get from this has a cap that resets every Tuesday. What is this cap? 20k. 20k. Once a week. Oh and that thing where you get more money as you advance? Yeah, your cap doesn't increase so as you advance the story, you hit that cap with less items sold.

At this stage in the game 20k is really chump change. I appreciate their attempt to make vendoring stuff to NPCs not quite so awful, but my lord that is a laughably small amount.

Considering it was normal to have millions of gil two expansions ago I can’t imagine what logic got them to this conclusion

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don't think games can include both esports style pvp and pve raids in the same game without some huge drawback.

Guild Wars 1 managed it. Guild Wars 2 kinda tries for it to a lesser degree but the PvP in that one is a bit less hardcore esports because the gameplay setup is different.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I'm currently trying Graveyard Keeper, since it's basically a take on Stardew Valley and I loving loved Stardew Valley. But despite the obvious effort and care that went into it, I'm not really feeling it.

For one, it doesn't really seem to have as much of a focused, central gameplay loop. In SV, the core gameplay loop was about farming: Plant stuff, harvest and sell it for a profit, then use that profit to plant more stuff for more profit and so on. There are a variety of side activities, but even those usually loop back to improving your farm in some way.

Meanwhile in Graveyard Keeper, the central gameplay loop is... graveyard keeping. Mostly that boils down to receiving new cadavers and interring them, and making sure they have pretty graves that are kept in a good state. But the trouble with this is twofold: For one, you're not in charge of your scale. You're just getting new cadavers every now and then at what appears to be a set rate, meaning you can't really feed your profits back into growing your operation.
Secondly, the quality of your graveyard doesn't seem to influence your profits. You just get a one-time fixed payout for interring a cadaver, plus the resale value of whatever pieces you're harvesting from them (it's kind of a macabre game :v:). Actually cleaning up and prettifying your graveyard only raises some abstract score that doesn't seem to have a practical effect, at least at where I'm at so far.
These two factors combine to turn your graveyard into more of a distraction than a central gameplay fixture. It's just sort of a chore you take care of whenever a cadaver pops up, so you have the funds to get on with the rest of the game (which admittedly does seem pretty expansive otherwise).

And that whole thing leads into what's probably a more esoteric complaint about the tone of the whole thing. In Stardew Valley, the very core of the setting is escapism: Your character just has had enough of the grind of modern life, and fucks off to the countryside where life is simpler. They're specifically choosing that life for its own sake. Which means that, in-setting, pretty much everything you do is your character having a grand old time. Whether you're planting stuff, taking care of your animals, or spending an entire season just fishing, that's implicitly exactly what your character wants to spend their time doing. And that's a major factor why SV is just so relentlessly positive and pleasant.
Meanwhile in Graveyard Keeper, your character is unexpectedly thrown into that job (and in fact the weird world where it takes place), and the overarching goal from day one is to find a way to escape and get back to your old life. Everything you do ingame is basically just an annoyance or chore you need to get out of the way in pursuit of your escape, which makes taking care of those smaller tasks that much less satisfying. Sure, it's meant to be a darker, more morbid game and world, but it just doesn't have that same feel of being productive. Which is really important to the genre no matter the intended tone.

I just want another Stardew Valley, is that so much to ask? :saddowns:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Perestroika posted:

I just want another Stardew Valley, is that so much to ask? :saddowns:

Yep. I wish this game hadn't been marketed as a Stardew Valley-alike, because it's not, it's not at all. You spend your time working on X to get to Y, so you can do Z, with so many permutations on that. I love it, but it's more for people who want Factorio-lite than Stardew.

I find the tone of the game to be better if you take it as an intensely dreamlike scenario - you want to get home, but instead of zeroing in on that, you're free to do whatever, forever. So it's just... dream logic. To get home, I need to make four quality fish fillets for this dude. Even though it leads nowhere near what I need for my goal. It's just... it's got this ambience that feels less like a real place, and more like a bizarro dream world. I dig it!

And finally, re: the graveyard - the real secret of the game is that it's not about graveyard keeping at all. It's about cremating the bodies that come in while you are actually someone who spends most of their time studying things, cutting trees and smelting iron. The graveyard will eventually run out of space, and you get all the benefits of burying a body with none of the downsides with cremation: you get the certificate you can sell, AND you get more items, AND you don't have to figure out the obtuse corpse beautification system. Just harvest all the items you need and go, who cares that it's a wreck of a body.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

I just started Tales of Berseria, and do I get to change the main character's costume? This is a dumbass outfit.

When I first saw this game I assumed her outfit was a DLC costume my buddy put her in and when he told me that's just how she looks, lol

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm glad you can immediately change it to another much better costume (or an even worse one if that's your thing!). You still have to see it in animated cutscenes and skits though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Deified Data posted:

When I first saw this game I assumed her outfit was a DLC costume my buddy put her in and when he told me that's just how she looks, lol

I showed my wife her outfit, telling her how stupid it was, and the look of judgment and shame nearly physically scarred me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's awesome how you can still get that "mom walked in during the Yuna and Tidus kissing scene" feeling as a grown-rear end man.

Cindy in FFXV and female armor sets in MHW were my last two lol

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yet nobody bats an eye when frank west walks in, shirtless and manly as he is...give my man some love yall

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been trying to play the first Pillars of Eternity and I'm really starting to think that maybe these pseudo-tactical top down Infinity Engine-alikes just aren't for me. It's really, really, really annoying when the game auto pauses three times in the span of a quarter second because three different abilities ended at the same time. Like, yes, I loving know the ability ended, because the enemy is dead.

I also know that the game is only pausing when it hits the reasons I told it to. But there really should be some sort of sanity checking so the game doesn't auto pause like an NES controller stuck on turbo.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

FeastForCows posted:

They add a nice bit of friction, I don't mind them, but I can understand the friction.

My two main issues with prey are it's length and it's inability to respec

I feel like the game wants me to play through like 5 times, but it's drat long

Either
A. Have a long rear end rpg where I can pay like 4 neuromods to full respec at a recycler or something.

Or

B. Have a game that is short but dense enough to support multiple play throughs

Just kinda falls apart at the end

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been trying to play the first Pillars of Eternity and I'm really starting to think that maybe these pseudo-tactical top down Infinity Engine-alikes just aren't for me. It's really, really, really annoying when the game auto pauses three times in the span of a quarter second because three different abilities ended at the same time. Like, yes, I loving know the ability ended, because the enemy is dead.

I also know that the game is only pausing when it hits the reasons I told it to. But there really should be some sort of sanity checking so the game doesn't auto pause like an NES controller stuck on turbo.

I love Obsidian. Great writers, great talent. Pillars is a mind-numbingly boring game and I've accepted I'll never finish it.

Divinity Original Sin is the best isometric RPG ever made and probably cheap right now - give it a shot.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pillars of Eternity 2 is so much better than the original it's not funny, but then Eder, Aloth and Pallegina are all from the first game (and Maia is the sister of someone from the first game, though it doesn't matter all that much) and you miss out on their intros and backstory if you try skipping straight to 2 and ignoring 1.

Like, Pallegina seems like a super weirdly written character if you haven't played 1 and possibly even then. I don't know if it was added in the latest DLC or I only just triggered that conversation when I played it, but it seems like they added in a conversation to explain that yes, she really is that insanely patriotic and nationalistic and loves her country more than she could love any human being, to the point that it infuses her soul and her eyes literally glow when talking about it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

bewilderment posted:

Guild Wars 1 managed it. Guild Wars 2 kinda tries for it to a lesser degree but the PvP in that one is a bit less hardcore esports because the gameplay setup is different.

In the first Guild Wars you can max out a PvE character pretty easily or just go and make a PvP character that starts at the maximum level and can conjure up maxed out equipment at will.

Things kind of get lovely if there's a very high power ceiling and no way to conjure up PvP-ready characters.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I just finished Pillars 1 and everything wound up ending mostly well for everyone involved except for Defiance Bay where they turn the loving zombie machine back on and hauling some garbage weapons up out of some ruin for the Dozens that they don't even use apparently grants them carte blanche to dominate the city and start purging the knight cops

Game can be fun when it wants to be but boy is there a lot of time spent fiddling around with boring, pointless systems and tedious dialogue where the game has to narrate and describe every wrinkle in some nobody's testicles or add another gibberish word that means something incredibly banal and simple in english.

Also Sagani decided to fight a blizzard and lost, but eh.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The second game is much improved. The main-campaign is half the length but comes with the factions-system like New Vegas. When back-tracking you can fast-travel to building interiors you've been to before. Your castle from the first-game is promptly stepped-on so now you get a boat instead. The backer NPCs also got stepped on because they're nowhere to be found here. Loading-screens are shorter and performance is better. Earning achievements gives you cool meta-rewards, like being able to start a new game with a ton of cash and higher stats. Character-progression is streamlined and easier to follow with the new skill-tree system. The CYOA segments are far more prominent. There's considerably less descriptive-text and almost all the dialogue and narration is voiced.

I can't go back to Baldur's Gate 2 because of the slog parts (Chateau Irenicus, Underdark) or Beamdog's additions (gently caress you Neera, I have to go out of my way to not recruit you) so Deadfire is a safe bet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The second game is much improved. The main-campaign is half the length but comes with the factions-system like New Vegas. When back-tracking you can fast-travel to building interiors you've been to before. Your castle from the first-game is promptly stepped-on so now you get a boat instead. The backer NPCs also got stepped on because they're nowhere to be found here. Loading-screens are shorter and performance is better. Earning achievements gives you cool meta-rewards, like being able to start a new game with a ton of cash and higher stats. Character-progression is streamlined and easier to follow with the new skill-tree system. The CYOA segments are far more prominent. There's considerably less descriptive-text and almost all the dialogue and narration is voiced.

I can't go back to Baldur's Gate 2 because of the slog parts (Chateau Irenicus, Underdark) or Beamdog's additions (gently caress you Neera, I have to go out of my way to not recruit you) so Deadfire is a safe bet.

Dungeon-B-Get has been one of my favorite mods since high school. Someone made a thing where a fully-voiced NPC teleports you through the dungeon to pick up the party members (so that you can make the dialogue choices you want) and then to the end, where they then give you all the items and experience you would have gotten by 100 percenting the dungeon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What I really wanted is a kosher mod that keeps all the QoL changes but erases all of the EE party members. I always had to walk a certain way in the Bridge District to stop Neera's introduction from triggering.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What I really wanted is a kosher mod that keeps all the QoL changes but erases all of the EE party members. I always had to walk a certain way in the Bridge District to stop Neera's introduction from triggering.

They really should have made the EE stuff a toggle. BG2+ToB is one of the best games ever made, don’t you think people should be able to play it without a bunch of poo poo tacked on?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I remember summoning the orc jackoff in the Bhaal hub and he mouthed off instantly and turned hostile so I had just about every other party member in the game turn him into paste. That pretty much sums up my interactions with him over 2 1/2 games

Less said about Neera and those wild mage npcs the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's a game I enjoyed for the PSX called Unholy War, which is a sort of fighting game with a Power Stones style pov. It has a roster of different creatures with unique movesets, such as a little zergling thing that's fast and weak and can spawn tiny minions to harass the opponent, or a robot with buzzsaw arms, or my favorite, a flying fire spirit.

The roster was split into two factions, the sci-fi faction and the fantasy faction, and one mode had the two fighting on strategic hex-based maps, and when a unit engaged another you'd fight it out manually.

What I really disliked was one of the sci-fi units, which was this flying battlecycle thing. It has its advantages and disadvantages, but it's main gimmick, and what I really hated as a kid, was that at any time it could just do a kamikaze move where it flies high into the air, then starts descending at top speed, with the player moving him around to try and crash into the opponent. Obviously the cycle dies in the end, but if it hits the enemy the enemy also dies. When playing against a person it's a funny 'gently caress you' desperation move, but when the computer uses the battlecycle they'll inevitably always use it when low on life, and their aim with it is almost perfect, which is really drat annoying.