Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

neaden posted:

I've been reading through this and like what I see so far but there are a lot of typos and mistakes. The sample character generation for instance doesn't use the right point value for their archetype, and I think at least one of the attribute arrays wasn't calculated right. This really needs another editing pass.

Yeah I'm liking the mechanics I've seen, but it can be really hard to follow and I keep seeing the same tables copied over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Lone Badger posted:

There seems to be surprisingly little discussion online of W+G. The busiest forum I've seen was the Ulisses one and that's fairly dead.

From what I've seen it's basically a reskin of the Star Wars RPG. What's there to talk about?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Lone Badger posted:

There seems to be surprisingly little discussion online of W+G. The busiest forum I've seen was the Ulisses one and that's fairly dead.

FFG has it's poo poo together and puts out some good stuff, and with the ranges it's done you can play pretty much any type of character you want. All those lines covers just about the totality of the 40k experience, and the only thing it lacks is.....some fluff for M42 changes? I mean Primaris Marines on a crunch level are just "Boost their Unnatural Traits slightly, call it a day". Stuff like that. "They don't have jetpacks they have gravpacks". "I don't know, make the difficulty of Warp navigation rolls slightly harder if you are in the Dark Imperium". There's not a lot you have to do if you want to play a 'modern' game.

So to really grab people W+G doesn't need to be good, it needs to be great. It's not quite there yet, if they release a couple of quality expansions I imagine it could pick up steam. Same thing that happens any time there's a rule change, people need to justify switching over. They might get there. They might not. Wouldn't be the first time GW blew up a good thing switching developers.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

:rolldice: "You take a direct hit from a rail rifle."

:downs: "Crap, how much damage does it do?"

:rolldice: "You fail to understand the catastrophic implications of a rail rifle hitting a guardsman sized target. You're a cloud of misted blood and bone shrapnel unless you want to burn a fate point."

Where was this lol.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

It's not out yet.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

mango sentinel posted:

It's not out yet.

It's on drivethru

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's on drivethru

Oh, cool! I dunno then.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

FFG has made a lot of books, but they're also pretty deeply flawed. Rogue Trader in particular has so many problems and so much focus on unnecessary details that it's nearly unplayable for some people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's still leagues ahead of Deathwatch, which is now and shall ever be the also-ran of that entire line.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just want an everything -> Black Crusade conversion book.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Im loling that we are saying FFG books were good.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

breaking the game worse than shadowrun was p easy

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Viva Miriya posted:

breaking the game worse than shadowrun was p easy

And that's hilarious.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I didn't get a shot at any of the other 40K FFG stuff, but Black Crusade was real lovely poo poo

40k fans continue trying to give passes to licensed stuff no matter how bad it is

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sodomy Hussein posted:

40k fans continue trying to give passes to licensed stuff no matter how bad it is

Says Mr. d20?

How did that go, by the way?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah like I'd say the big difference between FFG 40k and WnG is the latter is something I could see myself actually playing and enjoying

I like the ideas of the FFG games but there's way too many fiddly bits

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 19, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

Sure but that's still a lot of unnecessary ink for texture. Maybe it's possible to delete the background so it's just white?

You should just be able to print in black and white from your print settings. The window that comes up with all the options when you hit print.

E: I think I misinterpreted. Teach me to post within 30 seconds of waking up. You could just export it to an image and erase chunks, but that won't be pretty. Emailing them might work, as deleting the background and putting up another PDF should be like 2 minutes of work for them.

Felime fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 19, 2018

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Felime posted:

You should just be able to print in black and white from your print settings. The window that comes up with all the options when you hit print.

I think he's saying that the page is textured, so even if it's black and white it's still using black ink to try and render the texture instead of just text on white.

In this case, you need a PDF editor to remove the layer that contains the texture.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

If you want to try, there are options to convert pdfs to a word document. They're not perfect but it might be a place to start.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do you want to preserve the scripts on the pdf or just have a printable blank?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

goatface posted:

Do you want to preserve the scripts on the pdf or just have a printable blank?

A printable blank

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, well this should be both anyway. It still has a bit of shading on the table of skills.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13IEXI9XGMpyF_ZfAZ_IT0I7lbMKNeHrJ

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

goatface posted:

Oh, well this should be both anyway. It still has a bit of shading on the table of skills.

This is great, thanks

susan
Jan 14, 2013

goatface posted:

Doing the Emperor's work. *high five*

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Says Mr. d20?

How did that go, by the way?

Fine really, I had fun doing it and the one person in the thread who actually read it was helpful.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m still sad that the Deathwatch stuff came out during the long period while Genestealer Cults were in the “semi-canonical” category. I think busting cults in the Jericho Reach would make for a great Only War campaign.

Not hard to make on my own obviously but I would have liked to have seen FFG’s take on them.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How easily would Only War (I think that’s the name of the guard game) translate to a game set initially on a medieval planet? I am currently running a play by post game for my friends that is set in the 40k universe, only they don’t know it yet (they are completely unfamiliar with the setting). I was going to have them design a “banner” instead of a regiment for an upcoming war with some orcs and then eventually when their nation starts to get over run their mission will be to activate an ancient technology to call for help (like in the book Brothers of the Snake) at which point drop ships will arrive laden with guard and its off to the races!

So does the game have anything to help me figure out dice rolls for melee weapons or will I have to fudge some stuff until the imperium arrives with its fancy weaponry? Right now I’m keeping it very simple and mainly making up dice values as I go along, but once I get the book in hand I plan to take things more seriously.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 19, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I know they have rules for Feral World armies.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Your main problem is going to be that orks are really really tough to kill in melee if you're not a space marine. Load up on two handers and melee talents. In addition, OW assumes a modern (or semi modern) approach where everyone is moving and taking cover as a unit but rarely side by side. Fighting feral orks with a spearwall might work out but at this point you're in WFRP territory.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ronwayne posted:

Your main problem is going to be that orks are really really tough to kill in melee if you're not a space marine. Load up on two handers and melee talents. In addition, OW assumes a modern (or semi modern) approach where everyone is moving and taking cover as a unit but rarely side by side. Fighting feral orks with a spearwall might work out but at this point you're in WFRP territory.

Yeah, true enough! I was thinking of just slashing down the Ork health pool for the time being to make them easier to manage. Thank you for mentioning “WFRP” too since I completely forgot that could be a thing. I’ll look into that, too!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Well-known hack-and-slash simulator WFRP?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You have a bunch of rules for primitive weapons and tactics [Including mounted combat in Hammer of the Emperor], but orks are a son of a bitch. Even if you use the feral orks rule in Only War [Basically they don't have the high tech, and maybe some of them will have basic pistols. Mostly melee weapons and no crazy vehicles.] they are still scary. Hammer gives you some options that add Felling to attacks, which could be useful for mounted charges or bow attacks. Maybe give them some weapons with Felling added on to help them out, and a bunch of help to soak up enemies.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I really like the idea of orks being some age old pervasive threat to a medieval society, but I appreciate the experience you guys have with this game so I guess I’ll do a bit of editing! Perhaps I’ll have the players fight some human mountain tribes for a bit that are being “pushed” into their civilized homes by rampaging unseen orks, as a kind of play on ancient history and take it from there.

Thanks! I’ll for sure look into the feral world rule set.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Remove True Grit or whatever the one it is that reduces Critical hits. That makes everything a slog.

At least they're not as bad as rogue trader rpg era orks where if they were set on fire, they'd go to sleep, unharmed.

Also how feudal is this world? Like, everyone is living in mud or do nobles and etc have some kind of hoarded high tech?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The only thing I'm really looking forward to from W&G is Eldar stuff. I was kinda bummed that FFG never put anything out for that really, so if we get some really cool sourcebooks and adventures, I'm down.

That being said I'm probably going to play Warhammer 4th more (which hopefully doesnt suck)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If you're high-tech enough, load up on hunting lances. They pack a hefty punch.
Be rough riders. The speed of the mount is going to be useful against primitive orkz, it'll let your players decide or avoid engagements, and it might make it easier to get dodging up.
Go all out and be rough riders on dragons and be a metal album cover! :rock:

You can do some pretty ridiculous poo poo with rough riders; I think I worked out a build that could sprint faster than an Eldar jetbike, and also fly (slower), and that was before pumping them full of combat drugs.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
And I mean even in our history the cannon was around in the 13th century. It's old as hell. Early grenades are 8th century. Even if you want to keep them super low tech, heavy weapons can still be a thing. You can just make them a bit unreliable or potentially dangerous [Not like you can't blow your rear end up with a plasma weapon too], or you can just give them grenades and hunting lances and file the names off. You still have to basically ork the orks [Mass on them to wear them down], but you can keep it straight and still have a big scary fight versus feral orks before the Guard shows up and goes "Orks without guns and armor? Oh man it's like Sanguinala!" and tank rushes the hell out of them.

e: Let some dudes with high Fellowship order folks around, the sacrifice of nameless hordes will serve them well in the Guard.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 20, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The only thing I'm really looking forward to from W&G is Eldar stuff. I was kinda bummed that FFG never put anything out for that really, so if we get some really cool sourcebooks and adventures, I'm down.

That being said I'm probably going to play Warhammer 4th more (which hopefully doesnt suck)

I think they said the second adventure book was going to be Eldar focused but there's also an Eldar mission in Dark Tides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Humans fighting Orks with primitive hand weapons is suicide. A Feudal world that gets hit by a Rok is a world that's going to be an Ork world in a few months. Only War has all those fancy combat maneuvers and pieces of gear because you need them to win against enemies that can laugh off basic weapons. Player characters don't even carry lasguns, those are for your replacable comrades.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you will need to think about how to give the players the teamwork advantage they need to beat the bullshit stats that Orks get.