Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm close to finishing Mafia 3 now and I hate whoever ruined an otherwise decent game with crappy open world game padding.
It's really sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

morallyobjected posted:

what are you people doing that you touch your console so much that fingerprints are a problem? I'm still like half physical/half digital and I never have to touch the console itself

there is a 100000% chance my dog will bump his nose into anything that can smudge

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm about to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider (got it in the summer sales) and holy poo poo is this game bland. Writing and story are abysmal, platforming (if you can call it that)/puzzles/combat are all very mediocre, and while the game is pretty in 4K the setting is one of the least interesting I've seen in the whole TR saga. Snow, gulags and wooden huts with some caves here and there really don't make for a spectacular looking game. Also lol at the micro-transaction thingies.

Why did this game get 9s everywhere? Who even likes Lara's grating voice or "personality"? Why the gently caress is she a super soldier that kills hundreds of mercenary dudes and this is never ever mentioned or hinted at in the game's edgy story?

EDIT: just watched the trailer for the new one, looks even edgier and even more poo poo if that's possible

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 20, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kawabata posted:

I'm about to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider (got it in the summer sales) and holy poo poo is this game bland. Writing and story are abysmal, platforming (if you can call it that)/puzzles/combat are all very mediocre, and while the game is pretty in 4K the setting is one of the least interesting I've seen in the whole TR saga. Snow, gulags and wooden huts with some caves here and there really don't make for a spectacular looking game. Also lol at the micro-transaction thingies.

Why did this game get 9s everywhere? Who even likes Lara's grating voice or "personality"? Why the gently caress is she a super soldier that kills hundreds of mercenary dudes and this is never ever mentioned or hinted at in the game's edgy story?

EDIT: just watched the trailer for the new one, looks even edgier and even more poo poo if that's possible

agreed completely OP. It's one of those things where I just have to step back and realize other people have other game tastes because it definitely found an audience but I hate hate hate that style of game and hope it slides out of fashion quickly

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, so my GameCube with the real deal component cables is actually worth something?

Uhhh no not at all. Give them to me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yes, the actual Nintendo component cables. I suppose I should find that box of games, controllers, cables, and GameCube.

In other news this thread makes me want to watch LPs of all the Yakuza games.

You should play them instead

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

goferchan posted:

agreed completely OP. It's one of those things where I just have to step back and realize other people have other game tastes because it definitely found an audience but I hate hate hate that style of game and hope it slides out of fashion quickly

it's funny because I went into that game expecting some AAA bullshit but what I didn't expect was the rehashing of every single cliché known to man and lara literally committing genocide

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kawabata posted:

In lieu of a better game coming out around the same time, RotTR is a solid experience in terms of controls and general gameplay, but I agree the story sucks and it doesn’t hold a candle to the first one.

The VR mode is one of the best VR demos ever though. Lara’s house is fuckin’ gorgeous.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

The VR mode is one of the best VR demos ever though. Lara’s house is fuckin’ gorgeous.

For some reason what really sticks with me from that is the dust on the wine bottles in the basement. At the time that’s was the realest VR thing I had ever seen.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mafia 3 could literally be elevated from mediocre to great by the simple addition of a fast travel system it’s nuts

glad to hear I was correct in uninstalling Rise, I loved TR2014 but couldn’t get more than an hour into Rise without turning it off I was so bored. i don’t know what the gently caress is going on, why I should care, everything feels cheap and looks exactly the same and I keep getting lost because everything is loving snow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mafia would be a good game if they could pare it down to 6 hours

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The gunplay in the new Tomb Raider games is the closest to a new Max Payne game (yes, seriously) I can get my hands on nowadays, which is enough for me to buy them. The collectathon aspect is pretty fun as well. I enjoyed the first one a lot more but I hope the third is decent.

Please be good, Remedy's Control

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dewgy posted:

It's funny I remember that giving me really bad motion sickness where I had a scrub tier VR stomach, and it was the tamest thing ever in retrospect. I wish I still had the game so I could try it again now.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Kawabata posted:

it's funny because I went into that game expecting some AAA bullshit but what I didn't expect was the rehashing of every single cliché known to man and lara literally committing genocide

Rhianna Pratchett gave an interview last month talking about how frustrated she was with the story of that game https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/07/rhianna-pratchett-on-retrofitting-story-working-from-bed-and-what-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-could-have-been/

quote:

In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Pratchett would have preferred to play on Lara's PTSD a lot more. Instead of returning to her father's research, Pratchett would have rather Lara's curiosity and need to find answers been the main motivation.

"I would have liked to have done things like playing more with her PTSD, maybe having things like twisted versions of sequences of the first game that you have to replay, because she's always replaying them in her head, and they end in different ways that you didn't see in the first game, and trying to reflect aspects of PTSD," she said. "But that was something that [Crystal Dynamics] decided not to follow, and I'm not in charge of anything like that, so it's just kind of my fantasy musings."

"I would have rather ... [Lara] wanted to find out if there were other things in the world if she'd really seen and witnessed what she had, that it wasn't a hallucination brought on by dehydration, that she really had uncovered secrets about the world, and she needed to find more evidence of that."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That honestly sounds worse than what we got. Nu Tomb Raider is already way too bleak for it's own good. I can't think of anything less appealing or relevant to the original series than "exploring Lara Croft's PTSD"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
At least Nathan Drake gleefully slaughters mercs. The 2 tomb raider games are so goddamn grim. Not like last of us but yeesh

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ElwoodCuse posted:

At least Nathan Drake gleefully slaughters mercs. The 2 tomb raider games are so goddamn grim. Not like last of us but yeesh

if not for people screaming about cognitive dissonance from the uncharted games i sincerely doubt there'd be any war crimes PTSD Lara Croft

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

That honestly sounds worse than what we got. Nu Tomb Raider is already way too bleak for it's own good. I can't think of anything less appealing or relevant to the original series than "exploring Lara Croft's PTSD"
Sounds more like an argument against her killing people as the main drive of the series now.

Edit: unless Rise ends with a boss fight against a dinosaur or something but it didn’t look like it was going that way at the time I quit.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The new God of War is on sale, is it any good?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its fun to throw the axe at stuff, and to punch other stuff. if you think, "man it would be cool to throw a magic axe, and maybe get mad as poo poo and punch some stuff" you should buy it, but only if you're willing to grimly walk around and be bald and flash your titty

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

its fun to throw the axe at stuff, and to punch other stuff. if you think, "man it would be cool to throw a magic axe, and maybe get mad as poo poo and punch some stuff" you should buy it, but only if you're willing to grimly walk around and be bald and flash your titty

Walking around sounds boring.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It’s really loving good and I cannot wait for new game+ tomorrow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a Scotsman talking out of your butt as you walk around, it’s pretty good

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

it's a solid high-production AAA action game. Some sidequests and exploration but not a full-on Open World. Good story. Fun combat. Solid performances from the cast. Lots to do if you like it.

It was a little overrated, but I bought it on release and was happy with it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a Scotsman talking out of your butt as you walk around, it’s pretty good

Still, walking around is a dealbreaker for me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Still, walking around is a dealbreaker for me

You can play as a crippled raccoon in wheelchair in Overcooked if walking around in games isn't your bag.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

god of war is the best game released this year so far and it'd be pretty dumb to miss out on it because you think walking is boring (which you do in basically any game so this complaint kind of boggles my mind)

Mandrel posted:

Mafia 3 could literally be elevated from mediocre to great by the simple addition of a fast travel system it’s nuts

that would be a massive help but it'd still need more variety to it. the open world would be totally fine if there was anything to do in it. very odd that there are zero minigames and the small handfull of optional missions are basically extended sequences of things you always do in the first place

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 20, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOD OF WAR HAS A loving BOAT IN IT, DO NOT BUY

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Witcher 3 does too

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I just found out you can pet the cats in assassins creed origins. Best game ever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It’s really loving good and I cannot wait for new game+ tomorrow

Tomorrow? drat im so down

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not sure if I'm going to replay the game on Give Me a Challenge or GMGOW. Dunno how NG+ scaling will affect the respective difficulties.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

GOD OF WAR HAS A loving BOAT IN IT, DO NOT BUY

C'mon spoiler that poo poo, man

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

exquisite tea posted:

Not sure if I'm going to replay the game on Give Me a Challenge or GMGOW. Dunno how NG+ scaling will affect the respective difficulties.

I thought NG+ was going to be its own separate difficulty.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It’s one of the best games ever made.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 13 of Y0 is all sorts of holy poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TaurusOxford posted:

I thought NG+ was going to be its own separate difficulty.

If it is they should call it Give Me God of More.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Think I've been spoiled by the Witcher 3 because as awesome as God of War was, it was very linear. Then again so was The Last of Us. And Uncharted.

bad_opinions.txt

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The linear, focused storyline was exactly what GoW set out to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

The linear, focused storyline was exactly what GoW set out to do.

:yeah:

Escobarbarian posted:

Chapter 13 of Y0 is all sorts of holy poo poo

That’s the chapter I’m on as of today :D