Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
i just saw this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-v1d-DjQqs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow, that's a good one. starts off just simply boring and terrible and ramps up to positively awful once homer gets in the windmill.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I only made it to the Susan Sarandon bit

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

:chloe:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

And if you notice, right at the end, it was written by...

This dude!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
That clip was bad, but not really offensively so. Just generic and boring and predictable. Like every joke I could see coming from a mile away. Also why is there a "you've got mail" joke in alongside a guantanamo bay joke? I'm pretty certain you've got mail hasn't been a thing since like the mid 90s.

JazzFlight posted:

And if you notice, right at the end, it was written by...

This dude!

Holy poo poo

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 20, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

FeMac really? Please tell me this is an older episode.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ChaseSP posted:

FeMac really? Please tell me this is an older episode.

Season 17, which aired in 2006 apparently. So it's a teensy bit more forgivable for the aged jokes, but shows how bad the middling seasons sure are.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I remember this one, that was the last season I could endure.

It's the season with Grampa's assisted suicide by diePod while watching cops beating up hippies to Glen Miller episode.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

CodfishCartographer posted:

That clip was bad, but not really offensively so. Just generic and boring and predictable. Like every joke I could see coming from a mile away. Also why is there a "you've got mail" joke in alongside a guantanamo bay joke? I'm pretty certain you've got mail hasn't been a thing since like the mid 90s.

Holy poo poo

I think it'd be more classic Simpsons stripped down a bit more or changed things a bit.

Take out the feMac joke, it doesn't work. I could MAYBE see them going, "The prize was going to be the iMac, but we got the iMal, the Malibu Stacy version, instead. It does all the same work, but it only cost us about 80% as much." It's still not a good joke, but it might be a bit more subtle.

Even the Susan Sarandon bit ALMOST works, but you need a different set up to it. LIke if some hipster was standing there next to Marge who was impressed with the 'you've got mail' announcment and they did the Guantanamo line as a 'You rubes don't are so concerned with your duck races, the world is burning and you don't even know it.... But I really want that computer, so put me down for a duck!" (Again, not that good, either.)

Finally, the windmill stuff probably removes any sense of reality from the scene. Just have Homer making an rear end of himself chasing down the duck to try to get it back on the right path... only for that little fork in the stream just curve back to the same spot in the race, anyway.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I bet this will definitely happen.

As for a Springfield show, I have a hard time envisioning how that would be actually different from just doing the Simpsons in most respects. You still need most of the same voice actors and the side characters have all become so ridiculously 1-dimensional I don't know what you'd do with them in their current form that would be interesting.

15-20 years ago, though, I could definitely envision something like a show about the elementary school, though I'm content with the spinoff showcase episode.

We might have discussed this but there was serious talk in the mid 90s of doing a Springfield spin-off. It never took off for whatever reason and they made the idea into the 22 Short Films episode (Steamed Hams). Mike Weiss (I think) said from that point on they realized they could make episodes about any supporting character.

So, yeah, I can’t see a Springfield spinoff because it kinda already happened.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The Simpsons Spin-off Showcase was definitely one point where it started going downhill, I think. The Principal and the Pauper always gets the bad rap but spin-off showcase is one episode I almost never want to go back to. There's some good jokes in there but the episode as a whole is the worst kind of bland. I get the whole point is its making fun of dumb spinoff shows, but it winds up just being a dumb spinoff episode.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I hear Matt Groening just came up with a new show? Is it any good?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I will admit, both Homer drawing Kirby eyebrows on the duck and Flanders' final line were mildly funny. That scene was pretty good for 2006 Simpsons, of which I've watched too much.

Phlegmish posted:

I'm up to episode 3 and it's growing on me. The first episode is a bit rough, and it's definitely no Futurama or classic Simpsons, but that's a high bar to clear.

The royal couple are a bit too close to the Trumps for my taste, but the king seems to be growing a bit softer as the show goes, and he is voiced by John DiMaggio, who can basically do no wrong. The other main characters are all cute and likable.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

It’s awful

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I will admit, both Homer drawing Kirby eyebrows on the duck and Flanders' final line were mildly funny. That scene was pretty good for 2006 Simpsons, of which I've watched too much.

This should invalidate this poster’s opinion on anything comedy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Phlegmish posted:

it is not good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I liked that it was a fundraiser for one church to build a bigger steeple than the one across the street, that was the best joke in that clip (and I suspect the whole episode)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Disenchantment is pretty good. It’s more like a medieval fantasy Futurama than Simpsons though. The first season wasn’t perfect but I think it’ll come into its own eventually.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CodfishCartographer posted:

The Simpsons Spin-off Showcase was definitely one point where it started going downhill, I think. The Principal and the Pauper always gets the bad rap but spin-off showcase is one episode I almost never want to go back to. There's some good jokes in there but the episode as a whole is the worst kind of bland. I get the whole point is its making fun of dumb spinoff shows, but it winds up just being a dumb spinoff episode.

Wiggum and Skinner's segment of Spin-off Showcase is loving hilarious. Moe and Grandpa's segment ends up being such a dead on parody of hackneyed sitcoms that unfortunately it actually is a hackneyed sitcom :saddowns:, the variety show parody was funny idea but stretched out too long, though Lisa being recast as a peppy 16 year old cheerleader was pretty drat funny.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Plus it has Troy McClure. End of story, it's a good ep.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

khwarezm posted:

Wiggum and Skinner's segment of Spin-off Showcase is loving hilarious. Moe and Grandpa's segment ends up being such a dead on parody of hackneyed sitcoms that unfortunately it actually is a hackneyed sitcom :saddowns:, the variety show parody was funny idea but stretched out too long, though Lisa being recast as a peppy 16 year old cheerleader was pretty drat funny.

Exactly this

Also rip phil hartman, the best thing about the simpsons

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Exactly this

Also rip phil hartman, the best thing about the simpsons

It's not a coincidence that The Simpsons poo poo itself after Hartman was killed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Not a great first season. The first two episodes are particularly bad. It's all serialized too, which ain't a great choice for a Groening show.

But I think it shows promise. The voice cast and premise are good.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Enjoyment of the spinoff showcase episode is direct correlated with whether you lived through the 80s and had to suffer through the assorted insane spinoffs and sitcom concepts on network television of the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SirPablo posted:

It's not a coincidence that The Simpsons poo poo itself after Hartman was killed.

this is i think the best answer to the topic question. It was just a hole that couldn't be filled

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Milo and POTUS posted:

this is i think the best answer to the topic question. It was just a hole that couldn't be filled

A Phil Hartman Zapp Brannigan, it would’ve been incredible

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Who, other than Hartman, could have come into the Simpsons to do a similar type of character?

I know it's years too late, but H. Jon Benjamin or even a Keanu Reeves* could almost do a Troy McClure-type, if you moved him from the 70s/80s type of fun celebrity and more a jaded 90s/00s cynical hipster celebrity whose educational videos all reek of sentenced community service assignments.

*edit: Stephen Dorff. Get him do to them in the same way he did his Blu e-cig commercials.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 21, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Asimo posted:

Enjoyment of the spinoff showcase episode is direct correlated with whether you lived through the 80s and had to suffer through the assorted insane spinoffs and sitcom concepts on network television of the time.

Is the only good spinoff we got Fraiser?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calaveron posted:

A Phil Hartman Zapp Brannigan, it would’ve been incredible

I mean I'm not gonna say the Billy West one is bad in any way, but...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Who, other than Hartman, could have come into the Simpsons to do a similar type of character?

I know it's years too late, but H. Jon Benjamin or even a Keanu Reeves* could almost do a Troy McClure-type, if you moved him from the 70s/80s type of fun celebrity and more a jaded 90s/00s cynical hipster celebrity whose educational videos all reek of sentenced community service assignments.

*edit: Stephen Dorff. Get him do to them in the same way he did his Blu e-cig commercials.

Matt Berry plays a Brannigan/McClure-esque character on Disenchantment and he is perfect.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SirPablo posted:

Hartman was incredible but it completely is

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Family Matters was a spinoff of Perfect Strangers, Mork and Mindy was a spinoff of Happy Days (:psyduck:), and there's definitely a bunch of others I'm forgetting. Whether those are "good" depends highly on your tolerance for 80's sitcoms, so for most people here they probably don't count.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Here’s another one that was recommended to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJO2hRyefNs

It’s not even that new

Where are the jokes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Phlegmish posted:

First two episodes kinda suck but it improves a lot afterwards

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Riptor posted:

Hartman was incredible but it completely is

It resulted in the loss of some bit characters. I can help but think Hartman helped write or improve some scripts even. At least being in doing the voice acting.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Iron Crowned posted:

The Simpsons itself is kinda a spinoff on of itself technically.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a little weird that there are two episodes in the early teens that deal with Homer commiting a crime and then end with a trial turning out to be fake. And both involve Homer being tricked by someone in a rubber mask.

(The Great Money Caper / The Frying Game)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So I was thinking... if the simpsons were cancelled in like... 2000 or earlier, would we see people clamoring for a revival now? Is no parallel universe safe from the simpsons continuing to air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just caught this tonight and for fucks sake I laughed until I hurt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICU1pQ8fkM

It was once so good