Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

rantmo posted:

It gets worse, he's Cain Marko or to put it another way: Marko, Cain. I'm pushing 40 and got that earlier this year when a character referenced in a comic.

I quit comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

rantmo posted:

It gets worse, he's Cain Marko or to put it another way: Marko, Cain. I'm pushing 40 and got that earlier this year when a character referenced in a comic.

idgi

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Marko, Cain
Mark o’ Cain
Mark of Cain

Cain killed his brother Abel when God preferred the latter son of Abraham’s offering. Cain lied about it when confronted by God, who marks him so he cannot be harmed by others, but it makes him a pariah.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Wikipedia mark of Cain. God turned Bible guy into unkillable, cursed person because reasons.

Also, that is the premise for excellent Netflix movie/show He Never Died, which I highly recommend for Henry Rollins deadpan comedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the Bible Cain's not invincible or anything, it's that God will severely punish anyone who harms him.

Cain/Kane/Kain/etc. is a cliche name for an evil brother.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yup. Whatever is done to him is repaid seven times over.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:quagmire:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

p good diety if you ask me

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

*in a very vampire: the masquerade voice* abel sacrificed to god many things and god was pleased, but cain sacrificed the thing he loved most, his brother, and god rewarded cain with immortality for his selflessness

*bites a fat goth chick*

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Screaming Idiot posted:

*in a very vampire: the masquerade voice* abel sacrificed to god many things and god was pleased, but cain sacrificed the thing he loved most, his brother, and god rewarded cain with immortality for his selflessness

*bites a fat goth chick*

Cain then became a Los Angeles taxi cab driver during the Ankaran sarcophagus incident

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually kind of fitting with his usual comics characterisation, which kind of makes the Juggernaut extra scary; he simply doesn't care about anything in between him and his goal, and he's a perfectly rational and sane magically empowered human being otherwise... who simply enjoys utterly annihilating whatever pisses him off and exercising his immense power. (which suits his patron god of destruction Cyttorak nicely) He's unstoppable not just because he's invincible, incredibly strong, and doesn't need food, water, air or sleep, but he also can't be reasoned with or appealed to his better nature, he does what he does because he wants to. In a way, worse than the Hulk.

And it should say something that he respects the kid's attitude and they get along; the Juggernaut is the perfect role model for a furious mutant who wants brutal revenge on those who've tortured him for nothing more than being what he is- the mutant they fear and hate.

Though don't forget he does literally rip Deadpool in half and probably isn't aware (and likely doesn't care) that Deadpool can survive that.

As far as he's concerned (or cares to know) Deadpool is probably with Cable. Although yeah, he rips him in half for basically no reason.

Domino kills a ton of bystanders just by running down the street though. I mean she blows up a gas station. She'd probably argue that she can't really help it, but she definitely doesn't seem concerned.

I do love Domino as a character though. Her luck power offers so much scope for carnage while being almost as dangerous to anyone she teams up with as the people she's fighting. Deadpool's comment about shooting luck beams is definitely a dig at Marvel for wimping out and changing Scarlet Witch.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It sounds like Juggarnaut is a flawed and complex character with conflicting emotions and motivations which makes him getting repeatedly electrocuted by a high voltage power line up his rear end that much funnier.

What makes it even funnier is that he spends the entire fight threatening to shove objects and people up everyone else's rear end, but he never actually tries to. Making Colossus kinda even worse than him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They all conveniently survived.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

jabby posted:

What makes it even funnier is that he spends the entire fight threatening to shove objects and people up everyone else's rear end, but he never actually tries to. Making Colossus kinda even worse than him.

The line "I'm gonna shove the old guy up the red guy." still makes me chuckle.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think he tore Deadpool in half solely because it was a 4th wall moment upon reflection and the aforesaid evidence. He gratuitously pops Deadpool apart to show his power and threat on a safe target we all like to see brutalized, and then can go on to loom as a horrific threat while subtly never following through.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He only did it because Worf wasn't available.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Domino's blasé attitude in combat was brilliant and made total sense given how she doesn't have to try hard or worry about her own well being, ever. It makes some sense about how she has no regard for people dying in car crashes or exploding in gas stations either. Live in a world without consequences long enough and you become numb to the idea of pain and suffering.

Yeah she mentioned getting a rough time when she was young, but that was presumably before her mutant abilities kicked in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Domino is Milo Murphy.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
Mark ocain
Mar kocain
More cocaine

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to watching Ella Enchanted on Netflix, it was pretty fun. I liked that Edgar's sidekick was the Rod of Asclepius, only with a live snake. That was a cool visual touch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

I do love Domino as a character though. Her luck power offers so much scope for carnage while being almost as dangerous to anyone she teams up with as the people she's fighting..

Domino sort of annoys me for that. Her power set is extreme good luck benefiting her - she shoots and misses, but the shot deflects in improbable ways to hit what she aimed at anyway. Extreme bad luck afflicting the enemy is Black Cat's power.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
is there a superhero whose power is extreme bad luck for both themselves and anyone around them, like a low-luck character in fallout 1 & 2? Because I'd want to see a movie about that

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

peer posted:

is there a superhero whose power is extreme bad luck for both themselves and anyone around them, like a low-luck character in fallout 1 & 2? Because I'd want to see a movie about that

Isn't that Deadpool's power in a roundabout way?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Cat sometimes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Isn't that Deadpool's power in a roundabout way?

Yeah, if it wasn't for the whole 'can't be killed' thing, Deadpool movies would be over in 5 minutes. And there would only be one of them.

Also his wife would still be alive.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, if it wasn't for the whole 'can't be killed' thing, Deadpool movies would be over in 5 minutes. And there would only be one of them.

Nah, someone would still come after her as the guys on DP's rear end are incredibly petty.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jedit posted:

Domino sort of annoys me for that. Her power set is extreme good luck benefiting her - she shoots and misses, but the shot deflects in improbable ways to hit what she aimed at anyway. Extreme bad luck afflicting the enemy is Black Cat's power.

Domino might not inflict bad luck on her enemies, but her extreme good luck can still be extremy dangerous to others, because she’s the only lucky one. For example, if a bullet is fired at her, something is going to make that bullet not hit her. If that something is a banana peel discarded in just the perfect spot to make someone slip and fall into the path of it, then so be it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So how do you beat Domino?

Like if multiple terrible things are about to happen to her, would her luck pick the least bad one even if it was still pretty awful or is it literally impossible to hurt her? Are there any Genie-3-wishes gotchas that could negatively impact her?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

peer posted:

Basically the premise of Milo Murphy's Law, kinda. Spends most of his time dealing with his own shenanigans, but it actually comes in handy during a challenge or crisis because poo poo goes wrong equally for everyone in his general vicinity, but Milo has spent his life learning to prepare for it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Like if multiple terrible things are about to happen to her, would her luck pick the least bad one even if it was still pretty awful or is it literally impossible to hurt her? Are there any Genie-3-wishes gotchas that could negatively impact her?

She did go 'I'm staying far away from that' when Juggernaut showed up. I think her power is specifically luck and taking advantage of things left up to chance, but you can't beat the Juggernaut by getting lucky. And she does actually carry guns and hit people and stuff, so obviously it doesn't come effortlessly. Be properly prepared for anything and there's only so much she can do. It helps that she's with Deadpool, who general MO is to cause total chaos by being unpredictable and having absolutely no regard for his own safety. (and little for that of others)

Kind of the reason why Deadpool has an exaggerated healing factor and frequently demonstrates it is because he can be the subject of bloody slapstick. (Well, after he became more than a Deathstroke knockoff with Wolverine knockoff stapled on)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Easy. Get her into a situation in which her defeat is the only possible outcome.

Wait, you’re not a supervillain are you? You have to tell me if you are.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

peer posted:

Not a super hero movie but you’re describing The Cooler with William H Macy. It’s worth a watch.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

eddoghetto posted:

Mark ocain
Mar kocain
More cocaine

Michael Caine

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bony tony posted:

Michael Caine

That's a stage name, his real name is Michael 101 Dalmatians.

(Actually he changed his real name to Michael Caine a few years ago, cos it kept causing trouble at airports)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

She got unkilled in a post credits scene. :ssh:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She got unkilled in a post credits scene. :ssh:

The theater we saw it in burst out cheering when "Turn Back Time" started playing. Apparently it was an older skewing theater, because it was instantly recognized.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(Well, after he became more than a Deathstroke knockoff with Wolverine knockoff stapled on)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Another couple from Deadpool 2 that I just realised.

Domino says she's never heard of Ryan Reynolds. Considering her power is being supernaturally lucky, that's kind of a subtle insult.

Russell sets up the world's worst code system with Juggernaut based on 'shave and a haircut'. But when they meet again in the transport Juggernaut can't move. So without Russell even doing anything, he just says his part of the code aloud: 'knock knock'.

jabby has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Aug 21, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I watched DP2 again last night and I guess I missed it the first time but he definitely calls Cable "Thanos" at one point.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Joey Freshwater posted:

I watched DP2 again last night and I guess I missed it the first time but he definitely calls Cable "Thanos" at one point.
Also "One Eyed Willy". Those are the only references to other Josh Brolin films that I caught but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more. :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Also "One Eyed Willy". Those are the only references to other Josh Brolin films that I caught but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more. :v:

poo poo I heard that but didn't even think about it because I thought it was a joke about Cable only having one eye. That's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

poo poo I heard that but didn't even think about it because I thought it was a joke about Cable only having one eye. That's good

poo poo, I heard that but didn't even think it was about Cable having only one eye. I thought it was just a Goonies joke.

As for Goonies' jokes, I had to look this one up and get no credit for astute observation:

quote:

In another scene, the floral shirt worn by Wade Wilson has exactly the same pattern as the one worn by Chunk in the 1985 film, The Goonies. To take this reference a step further, one of the lead actors in the film was a young Josh Brolin.

Also there were several digs at T.J. Miller who will not be coming back a la Kevin Spacey.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/holl...PCI9EDqDbL.html