Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

But their cut is very dad jeans. And I love Costco jackets and cargo shorts. Levi’s are the lowest priced denim nerd good looking jeans out there (depending on their cut.) their athletic fit cut also fits me better than any other cut out there. (Thin waist, very strong legs).

You can't talk poo poo about the cut of dad jeans while also purporting to love cargo shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

withak posted:

You can't talk poo poo about the cut of dad jeans while also purporting to love cargo shorts.

Cargo shorts in the summer while rafting and hiking are Acceptable for fashion.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna be another scorcher!
:(

Oh, oh it was.
(Legit glad my cat is okay while I'm at work)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna be another scorcher!
:(

I'll call tomorrow

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Beachcomber posted:

I'll call tomorrow

You'll call now :)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

TJ Maxx, Burlington, Ross, and Marshall's are nice, but they mostly soak up manufacturer surplus, so their selections are unpredictable. If JCP and Sears both go bust, then Kohl's is like the only thing left at that price/quality tier with a regular selection, and they're doing lovely too.

Kohl's prices aren't that good though unless something's on sale, and it's their store brand stuff.

The cheap polos at JCP are good though and their other sales are pretty decent. I don't even bother with Sears, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

How are u posted:

You'll call now :)

I'll call now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Doctor Butts posted:

Kohl's prices aren't that good though unless something's on sale, and it's their store brand stuff.

The cheap polos at JCP are good though and their other sales are pretty decent. I don't even bother with Sears, though.

When I returned some Dockers from Amazon because I ordered the wrong length they gave me that coupon for 25% off.

The Dockers there were full price, 60 bucks, even with the coupon it's not as cheap as it was on Amazon, so I walked away lol. Those loving pants aren't worth 60 bucks get the gently caress out of here.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Well yeah it's Kohls no one ever pays full price. You have to abuse coupon stacking and Kohls cash.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

serious gaylord posted:

I've had some Levis for nearly 5 years now and there isn't a mark of wear on them. I think the only reason I'll ever get rid of them is when i'm too old and fat to fit in them anymore.

I have Levis from like 15 years ago that are still wearable. I don't know what it is about them but Levis and Dickies pants seem to be about as indestructible as pants can possibly get. It actually kind of amazes me that the quality has been consistent and some poo poo bag with an MBA has yet to come along and say "gently caress quality we'll make shittier stuff with the same name slapped on it and increase our margins."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hand Row posted:

Well yeah it's Kohls no one ever pays full price. You have to abuse coupon stacking and Kohls cash.

I love shopping like it’s a lovely freemium game. It’s so fulfilling.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I feel like every Kohls I've ever been to has looked like a tornado rolled through it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I love shopping like it’s a lovely freemium game. It’s so fulfilling.

It’s pretty much Kohl’s whole model. I’m sure they make a ton off of the suckers who walk in and stupidly pay full price, but coupon/cash abuse is basically their gimmick. You can stack enough discounts on certain items that they have a legitimate and kind of widespread problem with bulk eBay resellers.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Helith posted:

Bunnings is hugely popular and successful in Australia. It's what Australians do at the weekends, go to Bunnings, buy a sausage from the sausage sizzle stall outside manned by the RSL, and buy some plants or some DIY items or some outdoor/bbq stuff. It's just Australia. It's just part of the Australian national identity and way of life here.
this is correct. every morning i emerge from my room and stumble naked down to the nearest bunnings, where a hollow-eyed vietnam vet is burning sausages made from eucalyptus mulch and processed refugee flesh. "g'day oval office" i say to the veteran. he says nothing. his eyes burn a hole in my akubra as he slides a greasy snag into a piece of bread with the colour, texture and tensile strength of a wet serviette. his name is either bruce potts or barry neville, he isn't sure - he lost all his paperwork in the war and since then he has legally belonged to wesfarmers. this man killed eight civilians and he would kill a thousand more, given half the chance. he lives for the bunnings sausage sizzle. when the store closes and they make him extinguish his brave lonesome barbecue, they let him in to roam around the deserted corridors beneath towering cathedral walls of hammers and nails and rolls of chicken mesh. he sleeps in the garden section in a bower of potted ferns. now the sausage is in my hand. now the meat is in my mouth. it tastes of barnaby joyce. i bite down. i chew. i swallow. the veteran watches silently. never have two australians been so naked and yet so fully clad. this is the 21st century and we are all going to die, if not immediately, then eventually

edited for facts

this broken hill fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 20, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Levis is privately owned and Dickies is owned by the company that also owns jansport and Kipling, and has existed since 1899.

(Go Reading Phillies)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crow Jane posted:

I feel like every Kohls I've ever been to has looked like a tornado rolled through it.

Additionally the tornado is children with sticky hands. I like the Kohl's near me but I pretty much always go right when they open to avoid the way it looks once one or two people have systematically gone through and torn it to pieces.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

LionArcher posted:

Levi’s [...] athletic fit cut also fits me better than any other cut out there. (Thin waist, very strong legs).

yep. I need the opposite of skinny leg jeans and Levi's athletic cut is rill good for me

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LionArcher posted:

Levi’s are the lowest priced denim nerd good looking jeans out there (depending on their cut.) their athletic fit cut also fits me better than any other cut out there. (Thin waist, very strong legs).
Cheaper than Uniqlo?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Maybe I'm an outlier here but I definitely manage to destroy levis. They always end up tearing at the crotch or thighs. They do last at least a few years though, and I don't buy other brands of denim for a reason

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier here but I definitely manage to destroy levis. They always end up tearing at the crotch or thighs. They do last at least a few years though, and I don't buy other brands of denim for a reason

I had the same experience before switching to the athletic cut, which has more room in the crotch and thighs and also uses material with just a little stretch.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've been wearing tightass pants for long enough that I feel like non-skinny jeans look weird and sloppy on me. I'm kinda terrified of them going out of fashion and becoming harder to find, and the fact I've been seeing more and more bootcut styles lately doesn't bode well.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The most annoying thing about Costco clothing options is they literally only sell Medium and larger. I’ve never seen a size small there for any clothes.

I had the opposite problem - they only sell m and L stuff.

I tried to buy athletic socks(!) there last weekend and walked away empty handed. Fortunately, Walmart, of all places, stocks extended sizes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cicero posted:

Cheaper than Uniqlo?

I’ve never loved Uniqlo. As for Levi’s, yeah the crotch wears down, but over years. And the cut I like does stretch in the thigh area, which is great

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
These things helped me get a bit more mileage out of some shorts I loved.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Same here, except it doesn't matter which brand I buy. I've had levis, dickies and carhartts all rip after 3-4 years. Wranglers rip after 2 years, or 6 months for their cargo pants.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Horseshoe theory posted:

So, apparently J.C. Penney cratered in terms of their quarterly loss and projected loss for the fiscal year and their stock has plummeted nearly 23% to an all-time low.

Unless you are a crazy day trader hoping to get lucky on some big daily moves, I don't know why anyone would buy J.C. Penny stock.

This is one of the few situations where being a dumb day trader would likely end up better than a stable long-term investor.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Look at this poo poo, wtf:

They’re Falsely Accused of Shoplifting, but Retailers Demand Penalties https://nyti.ms/2OFYQHS

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BrandorKP posted:

Look at this poo poo, wtf:

They’re Falsely Accused of Shoplifting, but Retailers Demand Penalties https://nyti.ms/2OFYQHS

It's music piracy thing all over again.

"Retailers argued that the penalties would go a long way toward deterring future theft, and that rampant shoplifting ate into already thin profit margins, potentially raising prices for consumers."

I'm glad that the government is concerned about their profit margins.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 21, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I really want to be surprised by that but I'm not. At all.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I really want to be surprised by that but I'm not. At all.

Me either. Seeing that made me sad and when I realised that I wasn't surprised, at all, it made me even sadder. Realising that you've became incredibly jaded isn't the worst part, it's realising that being incredibly jaded is totally justified. I would not be surprised if corporations started clamouring for paying workers in company script again, or if they outright insisted that all employees, regardless of industry, be paid only in tips with no minimum-wage match. I'm not joking in the slightest about either of those two scenarios. If you think that it's ridiculous, remember that it used to be and still is in some places legal to own human beings.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

Me either. Seeing that made me sad and when I realised that I wasn't surprised, at all, it made me even sadder. Realising that you've became incredibly jaded isn't the worst part, it's realising that being incredibly jaded is totally justified. I would not be surprised if corporations started clamouring for paying workers in company script again, or if they outright insisted that all employees, regardless of industry, be paid only in tips with no minimum-wage match. I'm not joking in the slightest about either of those two scenarios. If you think that it's ridiculous, remember that it used to be and still is in some places legal to own human beings.

Walmart (IT'S ALWAYS loving WALMART, ISN'T IT?) did the next best thing as company scrip is actually illegal right now. They tried to create a pseudo direct deposit thing where you would have an account with their favorite bank connected to a card that all your pay went onto. The idea was that you just used your card to access your money and everybody got one oh by the way every transaction has a fee associated with it so if you wanted to, say, move the money to your checking account that'll be $5, please. It also worked exactly like a regular debit card except that a lot of stores won't accept it but just by coincidence Walmart of course does. So it was like direct deposit but more inconvenient on a debit card but shittier. Of course getting cash would cost a transaction fee. It was blatantly obvious that they were partnering with a bank (mind, this was not long after Walmart had tried to have its own back but was told "oh gently caress no" by the government) to skim money off of employees' paychecks.

They pushed it like crazy but literally nobody in the store I worked at at the time signed up for it because...well why the gently caress would you? Everybody that might actually use it already had direct deposit which is better in every other way while everybody else just collected a regular paycheck every two weeks. They were dropping hints before this that traditional paychecks and direct deposit would be phased out in favor of the card but you could be an early adopter, see how good it is, and tell everybody about it! Except that the response of pretty much everybody was "get hosed, Walmart" and I think even the government stepped in and said "no more of this."

It's sad that I'm this jaded about it but every time this kind of story comes out my immediate thought is "of course they did."

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 21, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There was a chicken plant in Georgia a few years back that was running a literal company town. I don't remember if they had company script, but employees stayed in houses owned by the company and rent, board, and utilities got taken straight from their paychecks before they ever got them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

there wolf posted:

There was a chicken plant in Georgia a few years back that was running a literal company town. I don't remember if they had company script, but employees stayed in houses owned by the company and rent, board, and utilities got taken straight from their paychecks before they ever got them.

In America company scrip was banned in like 1938. I'm sure they'd love to bring it back but it isn't legal here. Of course company towns like that are still legal as is deducting "reasonable costs" for stuff like housing if you end up in company housing for whatever reason.

That didn't stop Walmart from paying people in scrip in Mexico, though.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Walmart (IT'S ALWAYS loving WALMART, ISN'T IT?) did the next best thing as company scrip is actually illegal right now. They tried to create a pseudo direct deposit thing where you would have an account with their favorite bank connected to a card that all your pay went onto. The idea was that you just used your card to access your money and everybody got one oh by the way every transaction has a fee associated with it so if you wanted to, say, move the money to your checking account that'll be $5, please. It also worked exactly like a regular debit card except that a lot of stores won't accept it but just by coincidence Walmart of course does. So it was like direct deposit but more inconvenient on a debit card but shittier. Of course getting cash would cost a transaction fee. It was blatantly obvious that they were partnering with a bank (mind, this was not long after Walmart had tried to have its own back but was told "oh gently caress no" by the government) to skim money off of employees' paychecks.

They pushed it like crazy but literally nobody in the store I worked at at the time signed up for it because...well why the gently caress would you? Everybody that might actually use it already had direct deposit which is better in every other way while everybody else just collected a regular paycheck every two weeks. They were dropping hints before this that traditional paychecks and direct deposit would be phased out in favor of the card but you could be an early adopter, see how good it is, and tell everybody about it! Except that the response of pretty much everybody was "get hosed, Walmart" and I think even the government stepped in and said "no more of this."

It's sad that I'm this jaded about it but every time this kind of story comes out my immediate thought is "of course they did."

Perhaps I am confused, but is not this the WalMart card, issued by existing reload debit card company Green Dot? They are plain MasterCard and Visa, no store reject them unless they really do not take normal debit card. Really setting up whole Wal-Mart infrastructure for card that only work at Wal-Mart and random selection of other store does not sound like them, it would cost too much money for.

When I look up the news story that came up years ago, they say it is the same thing as the current WalMart card by Green Dot - 1 free ATM use per month, fee for additional withdraw, charge to receive check to pay bill or person who do not use debit, monthly account service fee etc. Does not sound much different of typical America bank fees, especially of rural area where so many people would work the WalMart and not have bank for deposit. Also it not uncommon for employers around world to do this same thing with bank cards when trying to save payroll cost of issuing cash direct as some did, and abandon paper check.

So, I not see what is company scrip about. Is just debit card that kinda lovely like many small time bank debit. And where did WalMart employee without bank get cash for the check before anyway?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That service was lovely, but if you are unbanked it was actually better for people than check cashing places. It was basically a lovely, but better than the current lovely options, way for unbanked people to get paid and have a debit card.

If you have a regular bank account, then there is no reason to ever do it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That service was lovely, but if you are unbanked it was actually better for people than check cashing places. It was basically a lovely, but better than the current lovely options, way for unbanked people to get paid and have a debit card.

If you have a regular bank account, then there is no reason to ever do it.

I get that but nobody I worked with didn't have a regular bank account of at least some sort. Check cashing places, though...gently caress nuggets is that a whole other category of terrible.

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Perhaps I am confused, but is not this the WalMart card, issued by existing reload debit card company Green Dot? They are plain MasterCard and Visa, no store reject them unless they really do not take normal debit card. Really setting up whole Wal-Mart infrastructure for card that only work at Wal-Mart and random selection of other store does not sound like them, it would cost too much money for.

When I look up the news story that came up years ago, they say it is the same thing as the current WalMart card by Green Dot - 1 free ATM use per month, fee for additional withdraw, charge to receive check to pay bill or person who do not use debit, monthly account service fee etc. Does not sound much different of typical America bank fees, especially of rural area where so many people would work the WalMart and not have bank for deposit. Also it not uncommon for employers around world to do this same thing with bank cards when trying to save payroll cost of issuing cash direct as some did, and abandon paper check.

So, I not see what is company scrip about. Is just debit card that kinda lovely like many small time bank debit. And where did WalMart employee without bank get cash for the check before anyway?

I don't think so. This was quite a while ago; about a decade. I haven't worked for Walmart for a very long time and that sounds different. Even small time bank debit cards are fine as they're usually stamped with a major credit card company. My bank has like six branches but my debit card is Mastercard so that'll get accepted basically everywhere.

Company scrip...well instead of typing a lot here's a Wikipedia article that does well enough. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_scrip

The short of it was that companies wouldn't pay people in actual money. They'd pay in scrip that could only be used in company stores. It was used as a way to dick over employees; it didn't hold value as if the company vanished then the scrip was worthless. Needless to say there were issues where a company would buy another company then tell the purchased company's employees that all their scrip was now worthless. It was of course good for the business and horrid for the employees in many, many ways. Then the practice was banned and companies were forced to pay in actual, real money.

In America, anyway. I think it still existed in various forms in the world as recently as a decade ago. Walmart paying in scrip in Mexico was basically the same thing; they'd pay in fake money that you could only spend in specific places instead of generic money that everybody accepted.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 21, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

When I look up the news story that came up years ago, they say it is the same thing as the current WalMart card by Green Dot - 1 free ATM use per month, fee for additional withdraw, charge to receive check to pay bill or person who do not use debit, monthly account service fee etc. Does not sound much different of typical America bank fees,

That doesn’t sound typical at all!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Unless you are a crazy day trader hoping to get lucky on some big daily moves, I don't know why anyone would buy J.C. Penny stock.

This is one of the few situations where being a dumb day trader would likely end up better than a stable long-term investor.

I'm waiting to see which of Sears and J.C. Penney will crash out into Chapter 11/7 bankruptcy first, at this point, since they're both raging dumpster fires.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I get that but nobody I worked with didn't have a regular bank account of at least some sort. Check cashing places, though...gently caress nuggets is that a whole other category of terrible.

I don't think so. This was quite a while ago; about a decade. I haven't worked for Walmart for a very long time and that sounds different. Even small time bank debit cards are fine as they're usually stamped with a major credit card company. My bank has like six branches but my debit card is Mastercard so that'll get accepted basically everywhere.

Company scrip...well instead of typing a lot here's a Wikipedia article that does well enough. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_scrip

The articles i see of it is of 2009 and 2010 yes. I do not see any mention of special card network, all the old article say "Mastercard" debit, and the recent info on card's site says you may also get Visa network card instead.

I already know of what scrip, I don't see connection to how WalMart did the pay.

That is said though, that often reason for company scrip was company built entire town from scratch far from any other shop, especial in old time. And was hard to bring official government moneys out anyway. Even if worker want to take regular money instead and leave, where do they spend it or even get away? Company ran stagecoach or train for their own town, no stores for days travel, it is like modern company town in Arctic and middle of desert like Australia mines. Walmart store not like that, they go where people already is and want the government money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In America company scrip was banned in like 1938. I'm sure they'd love to bring it back but it isn't legal here. Of course company towns like that are still legal as is deducting "reasonable costs" for stuff like housing if you end up in company housing for whatever reason.

That didn't stop Walmart from paying people in scrip in Mexico, though.

They got shut down, so something wasn't legal. There was some deal with a local prison for day passes or an early release program... or maybe that was a different shady chicken plant.