Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You guys keep forgetting when discussing Rusty's skills that he is the one that perfected cloning along with Ben. Jonas failed there.

Given how similar JJr and Jonas are in a lot of ways, I think ties into the idea that Rusty/Jonas were maybe first-gen attempted clones that other have suggested. They just didn't pan out and he opted to just not continue with the work. He got Rusty and an absorbed twin. He knew about both but figured Rusty would be useful eventually and that the twin would just, in time, resolve itself.

Rusty's interest in cloning and genetics might be in part to finally 'beat' his dad at something. If his dad abandoned cloning/genetics, Rusty's driven to win the only game his dad seemingly walked away from in self-declared defeat.

Another random thing: The Boys' Brigade. Pretty much every member of it has taken on an element of Jonas public persona. Manstrong (many assume from the picture) is the All-American patriot hero, Impossible is/was the scientist/industrialist, Limb is the cultured and sophisticated man of the world. All that leaves is the unknown boy scout (which I doubt is Al)

If this theory/observation is true: Is there one last main public face of Jonah that could reveal the identity of the scout? For all the guesses that it's Al, I'd almost say the Outrider could be a better possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cojawfee posted:

Like father like son I guess.

Yeah, I noticed that. I don't know if it's a Dean thing or if it's a Michael Sinterniklaas thing.

It’s how the man who coined the term robot pronounced it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

so amazing to watch is again :3:

was the good<-->evil switch always there? i thought it was installed by dr. z

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I hope Rusty is a clone, the physical body of Jonas venture is declared dead, Malcolm is found to be the biological son of Jonas and gets the Venture fortune b/c Rusty is a clone and thus a different person

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

It's got a Doctor Strange window!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat that's good, they tossed out almost all the big mysteries but answered them first, and in satisfying ways.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Everyone already pointed out Freddie Mercury and Phil Spector, but Harry Nilsson showing up was great too. He used to go on drunken benders with John Lennon and looked pretty werewolf-y towards the end of his life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyoone want to speculate on this screeshot?

More specifically the more than passing similarity with the statue and a certain horse riding villain?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's not a whole lot to go off of there.

The statues face is indistinct. The horse looks very muscular but that's not out of place for a statue of a horse. Red Death was just starting to get into villainy as a young upstart in the runup to Movie Night which was decades after Teddy Rosevelt's death.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

big dyke energy posted:

I feel like he has dirt on all of them at this point.

Jonas was also the Action Man's drug dealer for many years

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I really don't want to see Bud back in anything more than a 10 sec flashback. His character sucked.

Hard disagree. But only because I really want a Boys Brigade flashback.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

so amazing to watch is again :3:

was the good<-->evil switch always there? i thought it was installed by dr. z
The way the flashback is presented implied Z just found the switch. It would actually make sense for Jonas to install one, he could switch Venturion to evil when he needed him to do his dirty work.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyoone want to speculate on this screeshot?

More specifically the more than passing similarity with the statue and a certain horse riding villain?

That's a real statue you can actually find at that real location in NYC

Speculation over

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The way the flashback is presented implied Z just found the switch. It would actually make sense for Jonas to install one, he could switch Venturion to evil when he needed him to do his dirty work.

I’m pretty sure they showed that exact spot as a blank panel until after Dr. Z finished rebuilding him.

I suppose the switch could have been under that panel, but it didn’t look like there would have been room.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The switch was there the whole time. The joke is that Z basically just ran a magnet over his brain and flipped a switch. After that he got credit for “building” vendata.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Jonas was also the Action Man's drug dealer for many years

And I'm sure Jonas held Col. Gentleman's predilections over his head back then as well.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The switch was there the whole time. The joke is that Z basically just ran a magnet over his brain and flipped a switch. After that he got credit for “building” vendata.

You really shouldn't have to explain this joke

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alan_Shore posted:

You really shouldn't have to explain this joke

You're right, but I acquit. Or more thread appropriate, get their clones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
remember when a few goons argued for pages that dermott said his pilot license was only good for a single engine cessna instead of what he actually said (single engine craft)?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

pnumoman posted:

And I'm sure Jonas held Col. Gentleman's predilections over his head back then as well.

My guess is Colonel Gentleman wouldn't give a gently caress because he's a depraved weirdo (he wants to get FILTHY!) where Blue Morpho would care Jonas would leak a sex tape to his wife because y'know, he cares about his wife and stuff.

I'm really satisfied by this episode and I do hope both Morpho and Jonas return. They didn't unceremoniously frag both of them and they didnt linger forever but we got a lot of cool background info.

If anything it's probably good Jonas died for a second time. The idea of him running around in the world is probably more dangerous than anyone else from the old Team Venture era

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 20, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Or more thread appropriate, get their clones.

Did we ever find out for sure what that line really was? I don't remember the argument too well, but "get their clones" would have been an enormous asspull over "get their clothes" right after the season finale...but then would make a lot more sense in retrospect as a teaser for the next season premiere.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I really love the on going joke in this world that famous singers are actually super-villains.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's clothes. It's always been clothes. They said so in the book as well. When that episode was made, there was no season 2. They had no idea if there would be any followup at all, so they decided to just kill the main characters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BexGu posted:

I really love the on going joke in this world that famous singers are actually super-villains.

Or sousaphone players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVX43X8NpUg&t=78s

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Oh, does any one have a good shot of Red Deaths 80s crew? I always though the names were great but to see their costumes made it even better.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

For some reason, they also confirmed that Ralph was using Viking as a verb, and Michael said "I acquit!"

Those aren't even their shows.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
No one is asking the important question here: What, if any, is the relationship between Laugh Riot and Boggles the Clue Clown?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's clothes. It's always been clothes. They said so in the book as well. When that episode was made, there was no season 2. They had no idea if there would be any followup at all, so they decided to just kill the main characters.

Oh, I believe you, I just didn't know if there was any official word. It's one of the more interesting stupid TVIV fights in that the weirdo answer became more plausible over time. It's like if they discovered an invisible man running around on the island with a knife the season after Shannon was stabbedshot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In the book, they say they should have made the line be "get their stuff."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I forgot that they actually show how gruesome that death was, like actually showed what it looks like without the silhouette in the book

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

BexGu posted:

Oh, does any one have a good shot of Red Deaths 80s crew? I always though the names were great but to see their costumes made it even better.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

No one is asking the important question here: What, if any, is the relationship between Laugh Riot and Boggles the Clue Clown?

THANK YOU! I was actually thinking that myself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
imma ship those two so hard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm happy there was a plastic cowboy callback but Rusty was in college at that point so it seems unlikely he left it there for 10+ years unless the custodial staff on Gargantua 1 was really slipping.

I'm enjoying the commitment to squeezing in crazy lore into stuff they wrote with no intent to do so. I'm reminded of "Where did you go to school - Super Crazy No-Way School?!" I'm also not clear on how the Monarch is dealing with basically killing his dad. Maybe killing Jonas too makes up for it?

Also Manstrong was a lame character but him saying "Sharky's Machine!" in Careers in science is one of my favorite line deliveries in the show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It fell out of the PROBLEM unit.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Given how similar JJr and Jonas are in a lot of ways, I think ties into the idea that Rusty/Jonas were maybe first-gen attempted clones that other have suggested. They just didn't pan out and he opted to just not continue with the work. He got Rusty and an absorbed twin. He knew about both but figured Rusty would be useful eventually and that the twin would just, in time, resolve itself.

I don't think so; clones would look like the original organism, so if Doc were a clone of Jonas, he'd look like Jonas unless there was a problem in the process (as there was with the one Dean clone that was unsuccessfully aborted). You probably wouldn't get a normal looking person with little resemblance to his progenitor if the cloning process didn't work right. You'd get a freak.

I think there was a mama. And I would not be surprised if it was Monarch's mother, and they were twins separated at birth, unbeknownst to Blue Morpho. And, also possibly unbeknownst to mama, seeing as how he had her at the compound for... insemination... and easily could have had her stop by for the delivery or cesarean, kept her under general anesthesia during the birth, and simply kept one of the babies, later lying about his mother. Or, even letting Mrs. The Blue Morpho know about it, but swearing her to secrecy. That, to me, seems like a much more plausible scenario.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Rusty's interest in cloning and genetics might be in part to finally 'beat' his dad at something. If his dad abandoned cloning/genetics, Rusty's driven to win the only game his dad seemingly walked away from in self-declared defeat.

Now, this I agree with. Hell, I like it if for no other reason than it shows that Rusty isn't a total gently caress-up. He mastered cloning where his father either couldn't or didn't, either due to his untimely death, or due to problems he just couldn't resolve before he lost interest. It would explain why Rusty was so offended when Brisby wanted his father's notes on cloning instead of just asking Rusty. Brisby didn't know the boys were clones, and him assuming that Rusty couldn't have possibly pulled off that feat of superscience would piss Rusty off to no end. As it did.

Rusty also figured out another way to bring someone back from the dead. I'm not sure which solution was more elegant, though.

Mr. Nice! posted:

To me, it looked like something added to the flashback as a stylistic thing, a device for the viewer to giggle at but not a literal thing. Flashbacks don't have to be 100% canon.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s how the man who coined the term robot pronounced it.

No, it was all started by Zoidberg, I know because I saw it on TV!!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

qirex posted:

I'm happy there was a plastic cowboy callback but Rusty was in college at that point so it seems unlikely he left it there for 10+ years unless the custodial staff on Gargantua 1 was really slipping.

I don't think custodial staff would tend to clean inside machines.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
By the way... check out the Wikipedia page for Sharky's Machine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's probably the main lasting impact of Sharky's Machine. It's sort of fascinating how many films have become essentially forgotten even though they weren't necessarily poorly received or anything, they just don't have cultural sticking power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

feedmyleg posted:

Hard disagree. But only because I really want a Boys Brigade flashback.

according to the art book it's actually a young General Manhowers in the boys brigade photo, not Bud