Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jesus is 100% an alcoholic. Possibly also a huge stoner. Maybe peyote or shrooms on special occasions (e.g. his birthday; when everyone else popped buttons that one time and tripped balls so hard they thought he came back to life)

12/24 smoke myrrh erryday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Imagine living in a world where the only way to kill the goat poo poo bacteria infesting the local watering hole is to ferment the water. Now also imagine that nobody has figured out a way to ferment the water past barely 1/10th of a Budweiser. Everyone was a raging alcoholic back then because alcohol was the only thing that wouldn't kill you, but nobody could get drunk.

What a terrible, terrible hell world.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I do see the side of "it's work, just do it until you find something better" and that may be what I end up doing, but I'm going to let them know that upfront if they can't offer me anything better or give me any details of future pay that I'm leaving as soon as I find someone that will.

Do this. It's a bird in the hand but you can still go after the two in the bush. Think of it like a temp gig, don't invest emotionally, and then bail.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nice piece of fish posted:

12/24 smoke myrrh erryday

ΑΩ Θεός Πατήρ καπνού για πάντα

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
my newest criminal client is cellmates with a "lawyer" (read: not a lawyer). I've sunk immeasurable hours into his defense already. I drove two hours to meet with him, on a Sunday, so he could lecture me at length about how everything I've done to defend him is wrong, I don't understand the sentencing guidelines, I don't understand his "rights" under the offense he's been charged with, and I need to tell the USAO that we won't accept a plea offer with any penalty more severe than probation

on the way home I drove over a wooden bridge and I swear to god it was the closest I've ever come. luckily I realized I need to be around to see Toona end up sucking dicks for meth in an alley in 2-4 years

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 19, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Discendo Vox posted:

What Substance Abuse Problem Would Jesus Develop?
Uh, Mr. Christ? Your Culligan bill is $777 this month. How are you drinking that much water?
Whaa? Waadah? Noo waada hass pashhed my lipsh for months.

BigHead posted:

Now also imagine that nobody has figured out a way to ferment the water past barely 1/10th of a Budweiser.
Sounds like somebody was raised in a Baptist household...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

my newest criminal client is cellmates with a "lawyer" (read: not a lawyer). I've sunk immeasurable hours into his defense already. I drove two hours to meet with him, on a Sunday, so he could lecture me at length about how everything I've done to defend him is wrong, I don't understand the sentencing guidelines, I don't understand his "rights" under the offense he's been charged with, and I need to tell the USAO that we won't accept a plea offer with any penalty more severe than probation

on the way home I drove over a wooden bridge and I swear to god it was the closest I've ever come. luckily I realized I need to be around to see Toona end up sucking dicks for meth in an alley in 2-4 years

If it helps, motherfucker dug his own grave and you're just a paid coffin hauler. gently caress'm, he wants to antagonize and ignore the only guy on his team? He' gonna be just a story to you less than a week after he's put away.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Soothing Vapors posted:

You should actually do everything he wants and then take it to trial so he can get royally hosed by the Feds. Our gameplan at the PD's office was usually to just call the person's bluff and make sure to keep them filled in with why what happened is actually their fault.

Obviously make sure to get all this in writing, "I advised my client of X, he refuses anything that isn't Y. Signed:______"

Alternatively get out of repping him by putting your foot down about something that's a legit strategic decision and then make him make you file to withdraw.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 19, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr Nice why are you getting to destroy yourself. Don't tell them you're gonna bounce in a minute. Take the work, take the money, take the experience. They KNOW you're gonna leave asap. They just need a warm body doing work and you're cheaper than a paralegal.

You've been out a year. You're still not barred. If you don't get poo poo moving soon you probably won't be a lawyer. I know it's never been your goal but it's almost too late.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

If it helps, motherfucker dug his own grave and you're just a paid coffin hauler. gently caress'm, he wants to antagonize and ignore the only guy on his team? He' gonna be just a story to you less than a week after he's put away.

Yup. Most people are where they are because they drove themselves.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is like 50% of all public defender clients. The other half aren't in custody, so they don't have a cellie.
(Then the 2% with really good cases want to plea out.)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Crim law is such utter poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Cringing at how whiny that last post was. ol Vapors was feeling fussy about not being able to daydrink all day Sunday because of this turd. replaced 20% of my blood with bourbon as soon as I got back from lockup and I'm feeling much better

This is very true, and really should be my mantra at this point

Pook Good Mook posted:

Obviously make sure to get all this in writing, "I advised my client of X, he refuses anything that isn't Y. Signed:______"
Yeah I really need to step up my CYA letters with this basket of turds, I've been slacking on sending them and I know after today I'm going to need them down the road with this guy

nm posted:

This is like 50% of all public defender clients. The other half aren't in custody, so they don't have a cellie.
(Then the 2% with really good cases want to plea out.)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Crim law is such utter poo poo
:yeah: x2 Dont do crim folks, unless you're an AUSA

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Reminder that it is virtually impossible to prove malpractice in a criminal case. If you document, you're ironclad.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

nm posted:

Reminder that it is virtually impossible to prove malpractice in a criminal case. If you document, you're ironclad.

Lots of states require actual innocence to boot. So. Ya fine.

(Won't stop the bar complaint though.)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here is some good Cajun seasoning that lawyer made I guess...

Louisiana Civil Code article 1908 posted:

Bilateral or synallagmatic contracts

A contract is bilateral, or synallagmatic, when the parties obligate themselves reciprocally, so that the obligation of each party is correlative to the obligation of the other.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We had a literal jailhouse lawyer once, who got put away for pedophile poo poo. He would find out which cases the prosecutor on his case were working, and draft up bs motions on them to make busy work and hopefully get his own case tossed/reduced.

I ended up with one of the cases (way back when I was prosecution), in which defendant had robbed a shooting range, stolen a car, and used the guns from the shooting range to rob a gas station. He was positively ID'd after they pulled over the stolen vehicle by his own mother, who was in the back seat.

Senior advising prosecutor on the case told me the Feds were eventually going to get around to prosecuting this guy for Convicted Felon Possessing a Firearm, but it had been 3-4 years since the case was filed, and no movement from the feds yet. Lots of motions filed by the defendant, though, that kept the case stalled. Defendant apparently loved being in pre-trial lockup, ruled the place like a king. Fired about 9 different defense attorneys. The one I was working with kept asking for time served, but our offer was 8 years and we weren't going to budge on that, especially with the looming possible fed takeover of the case. Defense attorney scoffed and said that wasn't happening, and filed a motion to dismiss for the delay caused by all the motions the defense had filed.

The judge dismissed the motion and set trial for the next day. Another motion was filed immediately to delay trial. The next week, out of nowhere, the feds call us and say they're taking it. Writing that letter to defense counsel informing him of that was an especially sweet moment. He tried in vain to file a motion to keep the case in local court, which of course didn't fly. The client, still assured by his jailhouse lawyer friend that everyone was full of poo poo, went to trial on it in federal court, and lost badly, receiving over twice the amount of years in sentencing than what we'd offered.

Jailhouse lawyer did this with at least five other cases, which all went to trial and all got guilty verdicts, resulting in massive jail sentences for all involved. He also eventually got tried and convicted, and I believe he's still in jail at the moment.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

What do you do with your inmates?
Do you have a giant prison on Guam or do you do like Hawaii and send a bunch of them stateside?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Abugadu posted:

We had a literal jailhouse lawyer once, who got put away for pedophile poo poo. He would find out which cases the prosecutor on his case were working, and draft up bs motions on them to make busy work and hopefully get his own case tossed/reduced.

I ended up with one of the cases (way back when I was prosecution), in which defendant had robbed a shooting range, stolen a car, and used the guns from the shooting range to rob a gas station. He was positively ID'd after they pulled over the stolen vehicle by his own mother, who was in the back seat.

Senior advising prosecutor on the case told me the Feds were eventually going to get around to prosecuting this guy for Convicted Felon Possessing a Firearm, but it had been 3-4 years since the case was filed, and no movement from the feds yet. Lots of motions filed by the defendant, though, that kept the case stalled. Defendant apparently loved being in pre-trial lockup, ruled the place like a king. Fired about 9 different defense attorneys. The one I was working with kept asking for time served, but our offer was 8 years and we weren't going to budge on that, especially with the looming possible fed takeover of the case. Defense attorney scoffed and said that wasn't happening, and filed a motion to dismiss for the delay caused by all the motions the defense had filed.

The judge dismissed the motion and set trial for the next day. Another motion was filed immediately to delay trial. The next week, out of nowhere, the feds call us and say they're taking it. Writing that letter to defense counsel informing him of that was an especially sweet moment. He tried in vain to file a motion to keep the case in local court, which of course didn't fly. The client, still assured by his jailhouse lawyer friend that everyone was full of poo poo, went to trial on it in federal court, and lost badly, receiving over twice the amount of years in sentencing than what we'd offered.

Jailhouse lawyer did this with at least five other cases, which all went to trial and all got guilty verdicts, resulting in massive jail sentences for all involved. He also eventually got tried and convicted, and I believe he's still in jail at the moment.

A jailhouse lawyer was partially responsible for getting a defendant in my old office 57 years with 75% prison time instead of an offered 20 with parole possible after ten.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 20, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

A jailhouse lawyer was partially responsible for getting a defendant in my old office 27 years with 75% prison time instead of an offered 15 with parole possible after 7.5.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for advice for my friend. He is thinking of dropping out of a top law school with a full scholarship but I don't want him to jump the gun.

My friend went to a tiny school with a humanities degree. While the education is good, I don't think the reputation is necessarily so. As a result, a lot of his classmates are either in grad school or underemployed.
My friend just did OCIs and did very poorly with no callbacks. As a result, he is thinking of dropping out now because he doesn't feel like he can find a job next summer.

My friend told me that he only wants to go to law school to get a corporate law job for the money. He says he isn't interested in a public interest job and he isn't interested in what he is studying either.

On the other hand, I feel like if he drops out now, his degree might be useless and there is a good chance he will not find gainful employment either. He wants to do a humanities PhD but that seems definitely like a terrible idea.

Is there any advice you guys could give my friend?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
First off, what top law school are you asking about?

Second, he's probably right that dropping out is his best bet if his only goal is to make money and he's floundered at one of the key milestones to making that big money.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

First off, what top law school are you asking about?

Second, he's probably right that dropping out is his best bet if his only goal is to make money and he's floundered at one of the key milestones to making that big money.

I'll just say it's T14 and leave it at that.

I see. Do you know why he might be having trouble with interviews?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'll just say it's T14 and leave it at that.

I see. Do you know why he might be having trouble with interviews?

Either his grades or his personality are bad.

If his grades are bad then his scholarship is at risk and he should leave. If it’s his personality he should finish it out bc a completed JD is better than a failed JD.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also, he may be self-limiting by only going to corporate law or bust. Sounds like he should have read the bi-modal vs. median post on the first page.

In any event, if he hasn't found anything he enjoys, and is only doing it for money, then ya, he should drop out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

If his grades are bad then his scholarship is at risk and he should leave. If it’s his personality he should finish it out bc a completed JD is better than a failed JD.

Remember that that T14 scholarships have far easier conditions. You might have a low enough gpa to not get any bites but still keep it.
I remember, at my like t20ish, after a bad fall 1l getting a sternly written letter that my scholarship would be gone if I didn't improve in 3 years. Idk.

But yeah, if he's going to spend actual money, leave.

Otherwise, he should do clinics and what not and might find somethong he actually likes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i mean, if he's smart enough to get a full ride at a t14, then he could probably pretty easily go take some undergrad classes in stats and math and get a masters in finance or accounting and get into his corporate money pit via that avenue.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The timeline isn't really adding up. Are schools even done with OCI yet? Callbacks definitely don't finish up for a month or more.

Unless his grades are genuinely awful, he should be busy mass mailing every single firm and maybe even multiple offices of the same firms. It's low percentage individually, but people do get callbacks from those if you send out enough of them.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Adar posted:

The timeline isn't really adding up. Are schools even done with OCI yet? Callbacks definitely don't finish up for a month or more.

Unless his grades are genuinely awful, he should be busy mass mailing every single firm and maybe even multiple offices of the same firms. It's low percentage individually, but people do get callbacks from those if you send out enough of them.

Generally the T14 schools are moving their OCI’s earlier and earlier; some even into late July.

Not saying all callback offers have been sent out, however.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If he struck out for first year "OCI" for jobs at a law firm over his 1L summer, who the gently caress cares. I think virtually nobody at my school got a job from those. If he struck out at actual OCI, the stuff for a job for your 2L summer, then he's got some issues. And he needs to figure out what those are, if he's got terrible grades, terrible personality, or just glaring typos on his resume (he should check for that).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Adar posted:

Some are done with OCI (Chicago, northwestern, and Harvard for sure).

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's his personality. His grades are fine, and if they weren't he wouldn't be getting OCIs, right? But I feel like a good JD will open up some kind of door for him, just not sure what.

nm posted:

But yeah, if he's going to spend actual money, leave.

Otherwise, he should do clinics and what not and might find somethong he actually likes.

I don't think his scholarship is at risk at all. What are clinics?

Mr. Nice! posted:

i mean, if he's smart enough to get a full ride at a t14, then he could probably pretty easily go take some undergrad classes in stats and math and get a masters in finance or accounting and get into his corporate money pit via that avenue.

I feel like if his personality is a bad fit with corporate law, wouldn't it be a bad fit for finance too? Accounting seems good though.

evilweasel posted:

If he struck out for first year "OCI" for jobs at a law firm over his 1L summer, who the gently caress cares. I think virtually nobody at my school got a job from those. If he struck out at actual OCI, the stuff for a job for your 2L summer, then he's got some issues. And he needs to figure out what those are, if he's got terrible grades, terrible personality, or just glaring typos on his resume (he should check for that).

Yes, he is striking out for jobs for 2L summer. I think it is personality. How is someone supposed to deal with it? I asked him if his law school does practice interviews but I guess those can only do so much.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's his personality. His grades are fine, and if they weren't he wouldn't be getting OCIs, right? But I feel like a good JD will open up some kind of door for him, just not sure what.
Yes, he is striking out for jobs for 2L summer. I think it is personality. How is someone supposed to deal with it? I asked him if his law school does practice interviews but I guess those can only do so much.

to be clear, this means he has such a bad personality that in thirty minutes he manages to turn off someone who is basically screening only for "will i hate working with this person?/does this person demonstrate stunningly bad judgment?" who doesn't reeeeally care about the OCI process all that much. he should talk to his career services to do a practice interview or two because he's gotta be doing something like sexually harassing the interviewers if he didn't even get a callback with fine grades at a t14 school, so they can tell him what the gently caress he's doing that's so off-putting.

OCI interviews are not well-oiled machines, it's whoever got caught without a good excuse not to do it, interviewing everyone for a half an hour with no real firm idea of what they're doing.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's his personality. His grades are fine, and if they weren't he wouldn't be getting OCIs, right?
I don’t think so. Or at least, depends on the school. IIRC, at Michigan, we couldn’t screen on grades, and in fact wouldn’t know grades until the interview. One year I had a full schedule of candidates who couldn’t even sniff our rough gpa requirement.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Point:
1. if your friend is already thinking about quitting after his first year, and got no OCI offers, then congratulations, they're experiencing the same thing as 95% of the rest of their class, and most people who go to law school.

2. Unless their living expenses are killing them/driving them into insurmountable debt, then this is basically free education, whether they end up practicing or not.

Counterpoint:
1. The difference between getting and using a humanities degree, and getting and using a JD is about the difference between painting a picture of kittens, and having a knife fight in a dark alley to save a bag of kittens(your clients) who keep wandering back into dark alleys causing you to get into more knife fights.

Conclusion:
I can't, in good conscience, tell your friend they should give up a free education, even one they might only use as a stepping stone to a different career, because "its hard and discouraging."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

Point:

Conclusion:
I can't, in good conscience, tell your friend they should give up a free education, even one they might only use as a stepping stone to a different career, because "its hard and discouraging."

That’s where Im at too. And it doesn’t even sound like the school part is hard for him. So it’s just discouraging. He’s never going to make it in any high compensation field if he’s that easily discouraged. Also he can’t possibly be that empty of a person to only want to do corporate law. He probably doesn’t know what practicing corporate law actually involves.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 20, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Both posters above make good and salient points.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gvibes posted:

I don’t think so. Or at least, depends on the school. IIRC, at Michigan, we couldn’t screen on grades, and in fact wouldn’t know grades until the interview. One year I had a full schedule of candidates who couldn’t even sniff our rough gpa requirement.

Maybe it is grades after all?

blarzgh posted:

Point:
1. if your friend is already thinking about quitting after his first year, and got no OCI offers, then congratulations, they're experiencing the same thing as 95% of the rest of their class, and most people who go to law school.

2. Unless their living expenses are killing them/driving them into insurmountable debt, then this is basically free education, whether they end up practicing or not.

Counterpoint:
1. The difference between getting and using a humanities degree, and getting and using a JD is about the difference between painting a picture of kittens, and having a knife fight in a dark alley to save a bag of kittens(your clients) who keep wandering back into dark alleys causing you to get into more knife fights.

Conclusion:

That's why I don't want him to drop out - I think a JD would offer him a way better chance at some kind of career even if he doesn't like what he is studying right now.

Look Sir Droids posted:

That’s where Im at too. And it doesn’t even sound like the school part is hard for him. So it’s just discouraging. He’s never going to make it in any high compensation field if he’s that easily discouraged. Also he can’t possibly be that empty of a person to only want to do corporate law. He probably doesn’t know what practicing corporate law actually involves.

He only wants to do corporate law for the money. It doesn't seem law otherwise interests him at all.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Yuns posted:

My schizophrenic friend showed up this morning at my MMA gym where he and I used to train together. He was completely out of touch with reality and had cornered one of the girls who work there. He had to be asked to leave but he kept coming back for an hour. Apparently he's been coming in regularly. I tried to reason with him about seeking help but he is completely out of touch with reality. He recognizes me but when I tried to steer him to help he kept talking about getting his power levels up above 2800 and then claiming he was going to challenging our best fighter and slam him. And how he deserved his purple belt. We tried to work with him for an hour but staff finally had to call the police. They didn't arrest him but they did speak to him after he left. I'm going to have to come in early every morning now to help open to make sure none of the girls who open early get cornered alone in the building. He was my friend but my first priority is everyone's safety.

Please note that we didn't get physical with him at all although we're one of the top MMA gyms in the world and the guys helping me talk to him are all pro fighters. He's a former friend and needs help but he can't come in totally irrational and corner women by themselves. He is a good size guy with a degree of training too (for those who know BJJ, he left when he had been a blue belt for a while and has some striking too). He doesn't seem generally violent but if he loses it, he's going to be a problem for most untrained people. Yesterday at Penn Station, he was blocking an escalator and getting furious at anyone who tried to get on by going around him.
This is a weird coincidence but I too have a schizophrenic ex-lawyer MMA-fighting friend who harasses people in public. I don't think it's the same guy though because mine's (a) not based in New York and (b) not homeless (yet).

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

He only wants to do corporate law for the money. It doesn't seem law otherwise interests him at all.

It’s possible this is his problem. It’s hard to fake enthusiasm convincingly, so when if he’s trying to get past the “Will I tolerate working with this candidate” question, the interviewer is comparing his mopey rear end against all the bright-eyed nerds who still think reading severance packages and merger disclosure might be a fun way to spend time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nirvikalpa posted:

if he's telling people that in the interviews, he should stop. nobody really expects your passion to be corporate transactions, but there is an expected level of pretending you do, and being unable to glean that and/or unwilling or unable to fake it isn't good.