Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

EDIT: Look, it's fine that you (now) have something that lets you turn off your brain
well this explains everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cocoa Crispies posted:

SSL1_RSA64_WITH_CAESAR_ECB

hey now it’s actually 1024 layers of Caesar ciphers, each with a different key

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

D. Ebdrup posted:

L2TP/IPSec daemon, as every OS supports connecting to these without having to install additional software, and it's been audited unlike algo or wireguard.

i thought l2tp had some rumblings earlier this year that it might be going the way of pptp soon

e: poo poo sorry this was two pages ago, i forgot to refresh tab

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 20, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

epirb beacons don't have much more transmitting power than cell phones (i think the new small personal ones actually have less) and they're fairly easily receivable from space, although of course they're also transmitting on a single frequency.
last time I looked PLB/EPIRBs were quite powerful for a handheld device (~5w?)

that iridium modem is cool, but again, much larger than a consumer GPS SoC.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 20, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

i thought l2tp had some rumblings earlier this year that it might be going the way of pptp soon

e: poo poo sorry this was two pages ago, i forgot to refresh tab
L2TP traffic is encrypted by IPSec.

Everybody posted:

:words: mocking me for my poor phrasing because I was tired, even when I should've known better
Yeah, that's fair.
The point I was just trying, and failing, to make is that if you're fine with using algo or wireguard then that's fine - but let's try and pretend that it's not the only way of doing things.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

last time I looked PLB/EPIRBs were quite powerful for a handheld device (~5w?)

that iridium modem is cool, but again, much larger than a consumer GPS SoC.

they do plbs that fit into watches (admittedly rather chunky ones) now. googling around suggests 5w seems to be the standard for the big epirbs for ships and planes but i can't find specs for the smaller ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

that’s cool actually, last time I carried one it had a bigass rolled dipole you had to extract out of the loving thing before activation. just the thing you want when you’ve just crushed a bone at 3500m.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

The point I was just trying, and failing, to make is that if you're fine with using algo or wireguard then that's fine - but let's try and pretend that it's not the only way of doing things.
i mean you're always able to do things wrong, i doubt anyone was disagreeing on that front

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I've been thinking of getting an Eastern-European sim for cheap data here.

The weird thing about this roaming stuff is that if you're abroad and you get a call from your home country, you pay extra to receive that call. But if you place a call home it's your normal rate (which is usually free since most plans have unlimited minutes).

i've never run into that, that sounds explicitly like what the "roam like at home" regulation aimed to stop, unless you are talking about using it outside of the eu.

what's weird with the eu roaming stuff is that you can still be charged extra for calling or texting other eu countries while you are in your home country, but once you cross a border you can call any other eu country "like you are at home"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

they do plbs that fit into watches (admittedly rather chunky ones) now. googling around suggests 5w seems to be the standard for the big epirbs for ships and planes but i can't find specs for the smaller ones.

We ran INMARSAT on Air Force aircraft, it was meant for ships, but the antenna aiming was handled by GPS.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

ssl based vpns are cool and good but its real annoying when they use ports that arent 443 (lookin at you sophos)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

ssl based vpns are cool and good but its real annoying when they use ports that arent 443 (lookin at you sophos)

Probably because they are TLS + proprietary protocol rather than TLS + HTTP + proprietary protocol to which OpenVPN and some others support.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

Probably because they are TLS + proprietary protocol rather than TLS + HTTP + proprietary protocol to which OpenVPN and some others support.

yeah https isn’t tls isn’t ssl

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
ive found ssl vpns to be super useful in restricted public networks like certain businesses' wifi, which block outoging traffic to anything but a small set of ports including TCP 80, TCP 443, and UDP 53, but i havent had the opportunity to try ipsec to a cloud vm on such a network to see if that works

openvpn listening on UDP 53 is (at least used to be) extremely useful to get around captive portals, e.g. cisco home routers that had a guest network that was unencrypted but required entering a password to a HTML form

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Lysidas posted:

ive found ssl vpns to be super useful in restricted public networks like certain businesses' wifi, which block outoging traffic to anything but a small set of ports including TCP 80, TCP 443, and UDP 53, but i havent had the opportunity to try ipsec to a cloud vm on such a network to see if that works

openvpn listening on UDP 53 is (at least used to be) extremely useful to get around captive portals, e.g. cisco home routers that had a guest network that was unencrypted but required entering a password to a HTML form

might still be able to do this for free in flight wifi

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i mean you're always able to do things wrong, i doubt anyone was disagreeing on that front
Please do tell me more, I'm :allears:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hell how about an entire vpn implementation over dns packets

https://github.com/yarrick/iodine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

hell how about an entire vpn implementation over dns packets

https://github.com/yarrick/iodine

DNS tunneling != VPN

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah true

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Please do tell me more, I'm :allears:
well it ain't hard, algo and wireguard are about providing strong defaults and making it easier for the end-user to not gently caress things up. you're free to gently caress around on l2tp/ipsec but they were abandoned as suitable by the community for a good reason. the ease of shooting yourself in the foot with using out-of-box settings for alternatives, or not realising that cipher suite choices may have changed slightly across a decade isn't a feature that improves network security

still awaiting the config tbh, it's a good learning experience for everyone

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well it ain't hard, algo and wireguard are about providing strong defaults and making it easier for the end-user to not gently caress things up. you're free to gently caress around on l2tp/ipsec but they were abandoned as suitable by the community for a good reason. the ease of shooting yourself in the foot with using out-of-box settings for alternatives, or not realising that cipher suite choices may have changed slightly across a decade isn't a feature that improves network security

still awaiting the config tbh, it's a good learning experience for everyone
So you're saying you don't think I've updated my ciphers in over a decade? Just how loving dumb do you take me for.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

So you're saying you don't think I've updated my ciphers in over a decade? Just how loving dumb do you take me for.

sure sounded that way to me:

D. Ebdrup posted:

I set this up over a decade ago, and have been using it since, since it lets me have some idea of what's happening on my system, that's all. I don't think others should necessarily be deprived of that because there's something new and fancy out there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Personally I'm very hesitant to recommend Wireguard since it's still new and unproven IMO. OpenVPN, set up correctly, has a proven track record.
If you think OpenSSL is bad (it is) give OpenVPN-NL a try, which is a fork that uses mbedTLS (formerly PolarSSL).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Personally I'm very hesitant to recommend Wireguard since it's still new and unproven IMO. OpenVPN, set up correctly, has a proven track record.
If you think OpenSSL is bad (it is) give OpenVPN-NL a try, which is a fork that uses mbedTLS (formerly PolarSSL).

it's not all that new, it's been around for a few years now, but yeah it's not nearly as broken in as stuff like openvpn (though maaan is openvpn clunky as hell...)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

sure sounded that way to me:
To me, the care and feeding of a system is part owning a system, which means following security announcements and eratta notices, as well as regularily updating, plus paying attention about small little details like crypto primitives getting deprecated.
Isn't it for you?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 20, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's not all that new, it's been around for a few years now, but yeah it's not nearly as broken in as stuff like openvpn (though maaan is openvpn clunky as hell...)

Also being new and not really broken in, but it runs in the kernel? eeeeh...

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

polarssl/mbedtls owns

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

To me, the care and feeding of a system is part using a system, which means following security announcements and eratta notices, as well as regularily updating, plus paying attention about small little details like crypto primitives getting deprecated.
Isn't it for you?

yeah, but you followed a statement about setting it up a decade ago and using it ever since with a statement about not jumping on something new and fancy so it didn't exactly seem like you were particularly keen on keeping it up to date :shrug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hey single DES was good enough for the banks in 1987 so it sure as hell is good enough for me!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

ya openvpn's alright if you're willing to jump into the documentation and approach it as a hobby project, professionally though? ehhh

it was the go-to for simple setups to masquerade as extremely bandwidth intensive dns as mentioned earlier, but there was never a perfect resource for configuration leading to all sorts of bastardised tutorials that still get recommended in 2018. then again the same could be said for ssh 20 years ago

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

yeah, but you followed a statement about setting it up a decade ago and using it ever since with a statement about not jumping on something new and fancy so it didn't exactly seem like you were particularly keen on keeping it up to date :shrug:
Clearly I made myself seem like too much of a luddite, then.
Curiously, I think what prompted me to avoid the SHA1-collision fun in a round-about way was seeing that switching to AES-GCM-256 could more than double performance even on relatively inexpensive hardware (though my system isn't exactly the same hardware as the one in this example) because GCM has been designed not just around combining the encryption and hmac step, but also because it's been designed to carry packetized data - so I feel like I dodged a bullet there.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

polarssl/mbedtls owns

Polarssl was way worse when we did testing than openssl

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

spankmeister posted:

Hey single DES was good enough for the banks in 1987 so it sure as hell is good enough for me!

Wasn't there a security notice a while back that basically many appliances still offered all the weak algorithms so you attack by forcing a downgrade? Hence BoringSSL ripping out all the old junk, or whatever.

You just know the military and financial houses still run the oldest and weakest stuff possible to pass the annual inspections, they're too cheap to upgrade, although you know Cisco will want to fleece them on those upgrades.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, downgrade attacks are some of the easiest to pull off (when already doing man-in-the-middle attacks).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 20, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

apseudonym posted:

Polarssl was way worse when we did testing than openssl

Worse how

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya openvpn's alright if you're willing to jump into the documentation and approach it as a hobby project, professionally though? ehhh

every ssl vpn product is a crock of poo poo to varying degrees

at least openvpn is cross-platform and won't blue screen your laptop every couple months when you install the wrong update

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Prone to segfault with weird cert chains, we almost threw it out of the paper

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cocoa Crispies posted:

SSL1_RSA64_WITH_CAESAR_ECB

excuse me I think you'll find psk_null_with_RC4 over ssl2 is more than robust enough for my purposes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Post your favorite inefficient compression encryption cypher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

AES256 gcm mode gently caress the haters

• Locked thread