Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
No specialty characters either. RIP 18/f/Cali

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conspiracy
Jul 3, 2003
Just realized after all this time I never posted my name in here, throw me on the list (decaff)

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So which of those house types are big enough to be eq proof

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
In as Serendippydippyty, trying to remember how to make money with lumberjacking.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Sell logs and boards, or use boards to make troll pacifiers and sell them to crazy Carl.

For game start money, just make a dexxer or possibly an archer and get your rear end to Goontown for free poo poo

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
I played for a little while earlier in the week and tried to get my bearings on an archer, and some gracious goon even set me up at goontown. What should a neophyte archer be doing and where to earn enough to keep myself stocked with arrows?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scopes posted:

I played for a little while earlier in the week and tried to get my bearings on an archer, and some gracious goon even set me up at goontown. What should a neophyte archer be doing and where to earn enough to keep myself stocked with arrows?

go to level 2 in brit sewers and murder harpies forever

they drop feathers (combined with logs, make more arrows) and gold, and it's protected, so you don't have to worry about being ganked

I did this until 100 archery and now have more arrows than I'll ever use.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i tried to play wednesday night and in a 10 minute span i had to use the unstuck feature like 6 times

hopefully tonight goes better

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I'm a young and never played UO, 'twas a bit before my time.

Is the sandbox complex and compelling enough to drop $30 dollars on, or do you need nostalgia goggles to actually enjoy this game in 2018?

Grinding out, anything, sounds mildly cancerous.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DrHammond posted:

I'm a young and never played UO, 'twas a bit before my time.

Is the sandbox complex and compelling enough to drop $30 dollars on, or do you need nostalgia goggles to actually enjoy this game in 2018?

I don't think I've ever played UO long enough to form a solid memory, but I've played it on and off and things that claim they are successors to it.

I'm enjoying this one and development seems to be going in "get it to the point right before EQ came out then refine and take it in a new direction that's more hardcore". I'm kind of expecting this to become a unique entity in a few years assuming the devs don't gently caress off.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I think if you can handle (or enjoy) the jank, ambition and lo-fi feel of indie games, this is for you. I can't speak to the experience without nostalgia, but I really enjoy the freedom and community aspects of the game. We're grinding for better stats and skills but it isn't neccessary for 90% of the game. A mid level mage with an understanding of game mechanics can hunt most mobs and there are a massive amount of spells and skills that are useful in creative ways:

-Creatively abuse the house decoration system to turn wells into floating defensive turrets

-Punk a sad sack streamer in front of God and everyone.

- Wealthy landed merchants are just friends you can grief from a distance by undercutting their prices and disrupting their comfortable cartels.

- Watch the most badass warrior in the world melt down when your midrange thief steals his +5 Scimitar of Penis Replacement out of hands and vanishes. (Coming soon)

And the community is largely old dudes who were abused in old UO looking to perpetuate the old system, but with them on top. They are (largely) extremely sensitive about their skills and abilities and cannot take a joke. Goon-guild Anachro-communism works well because more established players can help newbies quickly blow past some of the initial skill cliffs and even the newest player will have PvP value as a decoy or meat shield.

Now is the perfect time to jump in because we're hitting the part of the goon-guild cycle where the established powers are starting to recognize us as a threat to their order, and are due for the inevitable "There are no Goons" over-reaction. It only took us a few weeks to cut through their e-honor facade and drag them down into the mud with us. Meanwhile we're already one of the larger guilds in the game numbers wise and are starting to get characters close to skill parity with the old guard. We will soon be able to beat them on thier own terms while they're failing to adapt to ours.

More numbers means more gangs and loving around when 2/3rds of our current Night Crew are macroing Provoke and are forbidden from fun. It means taming a poo poo -ton of chickens, naming them after a rival guild leader and turning them loose in thier "secure" area to gently caress with them. It means setting elaborate traps for steaming tryhards to record themselves falling into. It means that half this poo poo will fail hilariously and it doesn't matter because the point of the game isn't gold or fancy houses (though we're getting those to) it's making your own fun in a world that is rewards creativity and loving around.

Also we're bros with a bunch of Gemans who roleplay Vikings and are shockingly competent at PvP.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 17, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

DrHammond posted:

This is true, but I find the "gain skill by using skill" approach far more accessible than "harvesting this 500th bear rear end makes me a better warrior somehow."

Skill growth can be annoying but so much of the game is social so you can chill with bros in chat and/or make a glorious lord cry into his keyboard while you hammer out swords in the background. Most skills are macroable, and the ones that aren't could be with some creative scripting. There's nothing stopping you from just playing the game and getting your stealth gains while you sleep.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FWIW I feel like I've had more satisfaction from 1 week in this game than I got out of 3 months of Albion.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

soy posted:

FWIW I feel like I've had more satisfaction from 1 week in this game than I got out of 3 months of Albion.

Are you even finding people to kill? When i played LoU there was legitimate nothing going on...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

FormerFatty posted:

Are you even finding people to kill? When i played LoU there was legitimate nothing going on...

We've embarked upon a highly successful strategy of pissing off so many people that sometimes people who ride into Goontown to kill our crafters get whacked by other people who are riding into Goontown to kill our crafters.

No shortage of fights for people who want fights.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FormerFatty posted:

This guy left his door unlocked and I killed him in his own house... posted about it on the discord, and they were very upset.

They're from one of the mouthy pvp guilds so it's extra embarrassing for them.

It's slow going finding kills but I'm off to a good start. Last night I was just having fun spooking the other mouthy pvp guild by pretending to break into their town and making them all run around screaming trying to cast reveal to catch me... made more enjoyable by them streaming on twitch.

I enjoy scum pvp though I would probably hate this poo poo if I was actually trying to have fair fights.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

soy posted:

This guy left his door unlocked and I killed him in his own house... posted about it on the discord, and they were very upset.

Quote not edit, etc: That house was unlocked partially because it was "safely" ensconced in their "secure" walled off compound which we wouldn't have given the least of a poo poo about until they decided to start hitting our town.

But when we do things back to them they scream that were using exploits to which a monitoring dev basically said "lol, rub some dirt on it Nancy."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 17, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

soy posted:

It's slow going finding kills but I'm off to a good start. Last night I was just having fun spooking the other mouthy pvp guild by pretending to break into their town and making them all run around screaming trying to cast reveal to catch me... made more enjoyable by them streaming on twitch.

I enjoy scum pvp though I would probably hate this poo poo if I was actually trying to have fair fights.

this is the kind of poo poo i live for and why i'm excited to try this game out

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
post some pvp vids!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Hah, yeah, the population really seem to hate us. One streamer was gloating about how he killed our afk macro NiGhT CrEw and fell silent when we called him out about how he could only kill non moving, non fighting targets. Even one of the admins ribbed him about it saying something along the lines of 'its good, we need even the lowest of the low'.

I love that the pubbies are so loving try hard when it comes to killing us, and after a failed gank we talk about how terrible we are and they couldn't even manage that. In truth, though, we are a horribly uncoordinated typical goon group. For example, One of our goons went into Deception then cried in world chat that he needed help, to which Maya, a known PK, happily offered his 'assistance'. On entering the dungeon, he was met by 6 murderous, blood thirsty goons, excited about the prey walking into their trap. Yet we didn't get a single hit off on him, though we succeeded in bludgeoning each other half to death instead. He bailed out rather slowly and simply muttered 'that wasnt nice'. And he was right.

Praise Lowtax.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 17, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the mod/gm/dev team on the server. Yeah, they're footing the bill and they have their quirks, but their :rolleyes: responses to pubbies more than makes up for it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hahaha I did it again

This time at the other mouthy pvp guilds town.. it's funny because they always come and earthquake our people macroing poo poo like hiding through walls who end up losing nothing (but they take a murder count).

Meanwhile I'm walking into their unlocked houses taking significant amounts of crap every time.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Hah, they're not going to be happy

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This game has always been ripe for griefing players who play by some dumb set of rules they have in their heads and by which they expect others to abide. This goes in direct contrast to the sandbox nature of the game, meaning that if you can do something without exploits then it’s probably kosher because the game was built in such a way that there are numerous creative ways to gently caress with people that no shard admin can really say is against the game mechanics.

In some old shard I played with goons, me and another guy (not sure if he still posts on SA) created throwaways to stock with greater explosion potions and run around west brit bank suiciding ourselves and taking pubbies down with us. Even more fun because people cried while other pubbies looted corpses of people who should have known better than to have packs full of stuff when they are right next to a bank. The best part was while those pubbies cried for counselors, the counselors would warp in and basically say, “Tough poo poo, there are guards and thieves can get away if they want, that’s what makes this game fun.”

There’s always ways to gently caress with PKs who are really up their own asses, like hiding as a group in their hunting grounds and leaving one unhidden as bait, then paralyze him and hit until he dies. He loses skills, but also gets pissed off and keeps coming back for more because those goddamn goons have to be stopped right?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

life is killing me posted:

This game has always been ripe for griefing players who play by some dumb set of rules they have in their heads and by which they expect others to abide. This goes in direct contrast to the sandbox nature of the game, meaning that if you can do something without exploits then it’s probably kosher because the game was built in such a way that there are numerous creative ways to gently caress with people that no shard admin can really say is against the game mechanics.

In some old shard I played with goons, me and another guy (not sure if he still posts on SA) created throwaways to stock with greater explosion potions and run around west brit bank suiciding ourselves and taking pubbies down with us. Even more fun because people cried while other pubbies looted corpses of people who should have known better than to have packs full of stuff when they are right next to a bank. The best part was while those pubbies cried for counselors, the counselors would warp in and basically say, “Tough poo poo, there are guards and thieves can get away if they want, that’s what makes this game fun.”

There’s always ways to gently caress with PKs who are really up their own asses, like hiding as a group in their hunting grounds and leaving one unhidden as bait, then paralyze him and hit until he dies. He loses skills, but also gets pissed off and keeps coming back for more because those goddamn goons have to be stopped right?

Llama bombs. If you ever saw "a follow" and a llama starts moving towards someone with numbers ticking off his back it was usually not going to be a good day for at least one victim of the carnage to follow.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Llama bombs. If you ever saw "a follow" and a llama starts moving towards someone with numbers ticking off his back it was usually not going to be a good day for at least one victim of the carnage to follow.

That was one I hadn’t seen, lol that is great.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

Hahaha I remember when purple pots would set each other off. I seem to remember after a series of bank terrorisms by the Chrimson Jihad on pacific that they somehow nerfed the poo poo out of purps.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

FormerFatty posted:

post some pvp vids!

If you want to see how inept we are at PVP, watch us take 5 minutes to kill someone

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/299418730?t=01h25m39s

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i just searched for LoU streams on twitch and apparently the person I am watching right now (druid) is a goon

hello goon

e: or they just happened to be next to goons, there was at least one more goon on screen

e2: nevermind that's a goon macroing in a bank i think. context is hard

kumba fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 20, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Goons imagine you are unemployed and you have come into a very small amount of excess cash, is this game worth $30 or is it one of those games that is only worth that much when your marginal utility is relatively high

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

Goons imagine you are unemployed and you have come into a very small amount of excess cash, is this game worth $30 or is it one of those games that is only worth that much when your marginal utility is relatively high

No. Buy groceries or pay the electric bill.

Once you've got an income again, buy this game if you miss the UO experience.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Concur, this game eats time. It will still be there when you're in a better spot.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Also, it's important to note that this isn't a game where if you don't keep up with your friends, they'll all be level 200 and you'll be a level 10 scrub having to bash chickens in the futile hope you can catch up to them before they lose interest and move on to another game.

This is literally a game where you can roll a fresh character, then immediately go adventuring with a party of goons. You'll die. A lot. But you'll still have a good time and actually contribute. So don't feel like you've got to do this now.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weltlich posted:

Also, it's important to note that this isn't a game where if you don't keep up with your friends, they'll all be level 200 and you'll be a level 10 scrub having to bash chickens in the futile hope you can catch up to them before they lose interest and move on to another game.

This is literally a game where you can roll a fresh character, then immediately go adventuring with a party of goons. You'll die. A lot. But you'll still have a good time and actually contribute. So don't feel like you've got to do this now.

Most importantly you’ll get a standard share of gold which will allow you to boost skills very fast. Magery is drat quick if you got the regs.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I'll donate $10 for this lowly, unemployed goon to play this awful game if we an get another $20 in donations

Skyfire posted:

If you want to see how inept we are at PVP, watch us take 5 minutes to kill someone

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/299418730?t=01h25m39s

Oh man, this was so much fun. I love how we're so completely unorganised

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
In as Canuck. I beat on the dummy but it's not leveling up fencing. I assume there's a level cap on dummies? The next step is to beat on/heal an afk?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
that or just take your starter weap and armor and go to brit sewers and beat on some rats, then harpies, then giant beetles

once you're mid 50s/early 60s in weap skill/tac you can buy a silver weapon and go to deception which is just to the NE of moonglow in the cemetery, just be careful of magic users / cursed thief mobs since they can and will poison you so you'll either need magery & regs for cure or you'll need at least 60.1 heal/anat or both - even with that level of heal you can fail to cure quite often and the poison does enough damage to be life threatening

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

kumba posted:

that or just take your starter weap and armor and go to brit sewers and beat on some rats, then harpies, then giant beetles

once you're mid 50s/early 60s in weap skill/tac you can buy a silver weapon and go to deception which is just to the NE of moonglow in the cemetery, just be careful of magic users / cursed thief mobs since they can and will poison you so you'll either need magery & regs for cure or you'll need at least 60.1 heal/anat or both - even with that level of heal you can fail to cure quite often and the poison does enough damage to be life threatening

Are the giant beetles in Brit sewers?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

iminers posted:

Are the giant beetles in Brit sewers?

yea they're at the front of level 3 along with some other humanoid mobs i don't remember the name of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Pubbie rage tonight. Meet Radamine, a miner we found at Moonglow Quarry. He was minding his own business whacking rocks with a pick axe when the almighty Goon Squad mini-gank party suddenly appeared!

Note his immediate cry into World Chat

Followed by this

Then, about 30 minutes later, we bumped into him at Magincia Moongate.