Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
With paint, you get what you pay for; cheap paint is a waste of your labor. Sherwin Williams and Behr Premium Plus Ultra are pretty decent.

It never hurts to use primer, whatever you're painting on top of. You can just get the paint+primer mixed paints if you like. But the main thing is to prep the surface. Everything needs to be clean, and any loose/bubbling paint needs to be scraped or sanded off (I'm pretty sure you already know this, but just in case).

As long as the ants aren't getting into the interior of the house, I wouldn't worry too much. Plenty of house sidings have lots of gaps (e.g. the ones that work basically like shingles) and it's not a big deal. Siding isn't meant to be a completely impermeable surface, it's just meant to keep water out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sherwin Williams was having a 30% off sale recently so I splurged on their Emerald line. My painter mentioned that it was the best stuff he’s ever used, and shaved a bunch of money off the estimate since he didn’t have to do nearly as much work.

Also, looking now, they’re having a 35% off sale.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thirding real Sherwin Williams, not the Sherwin Williams you get at Lowe’s. I would power wash the whole house before painting if you haven’t already done so-getting all the dust and dirt and grime off really helps with adhesion.

You don’t need to prime the entire house, but do spot prime any areas where bare wood is showing with actual primer. Primer is really good at sticking to whatever is below it and making a good surface for paint to stick to, but it’s not that great at resisting the elements. Paint is really good at resisting the elements and not so incredible at sticking to things. It’s always seemed to me that one product trying to do both those things is going to involve some compromises.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like Benjamin Moore paint. Behr is the worst paint I’ve ever used.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

The "Premium Plus Ultra" tier is favorably-reviewed (Consumer Reports says it's basically identical in quality to Sherwin Williams), but yeah, avoid the other tiers.

Or just avoid it too, because the name is pretty dumb.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I have a pretty simple question that I can't think of where else to post it.

I want to build a tabletop stand for my TV that I can put my PS4 in. I don't want it to be big - I'm thinking ~12"x17"x4". The PS4 is 2" tall, so that leaves 2" of space between the top of it and the roof (?) of the stand. My main concern is if there'll be enough airflow to keep the PS4 from overheating? I think it should be fine, but with the exhaust vents of the TV being so close I want to make sure I don't fry anything. I'm not a heavy gamer so I rarely run it for more than a couple of hours.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
We are renovating our kitchen and our new faucet is one of those fancy pull down spray rinse types. Our on-tap Brita filter will not fit this, and my wife likes having on-demand “filtered” water as our municipal water is pretty... tasty.

Is there a decent non-super-expensive filter I can install inline the cold water supply underneath the sink? I would go to Culligans in town but I’m scared they’re just gonna try to sell me some monthly fee based crap.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

yoohoo posted:

I have a pretty simple question that I can't think of where else to post it.

I want to build a tabletop stand for my TV that I can put my PS4 in. I don't want it to be big - I'm thinking ~12"x17"x4". The PS4 is 2" tall, so that leaves 2" of space between the top of it and the roof (?) of the stand. My main concern is if there'll be enough airflow to keep the PS4 from overheating? I think it should be fine, but with the exhaust vents of the TV being so close I want to make sure I don't fry anything. I'm not a heavy gamer so I rarely run it for more than a couple of hours.

This is going to sound silly but bear with me. Get out the manual you totally saved and lookup the installation instructions. They likely tell you the minimum clearances on all 4 sides.

The intakes for the cooling are what matter. What is the intake temperature where it is going to be mounted? The TV exhausting onto it from above isn't a big deal, heat rises.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spagghentleman posted:

We are renovating our kitchen and our new faucet is one of those fancy pull down spray rinse types. Our on-tap Brita filter will not fit this, and my wife likes having on-demand “filtered” water as our municipal water is pretty... tasty.

Is there a decent non-super-expensive filter I can install inline the cold water supply underneath the sink? I would go to Culligans in town but I’m scared they’re just gonna try to sell me some monthly fee based crap.

The filter itself is easy, there are innumerable inline filters you can install to do that. The problem is delivery; If you plumb the filter into the main sink supply, you’ll be changing filters every month because ALL the water you use for dishes, washing hands, etc etc will be filtered. It’s far better to get something like this:

They can be installed on just about any sink you can cut a hole in, or in the hole for the soap dispenser, and generally come with a PEX T fitting and barbs for a filter.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BigFactory posted:

One of my friends was a major sales director and product manager for Sherwin Williams and then for Benjamin Moore, and he assures us that BM is the best paint around. Interestingly, while it's nearly twice as expensive, you use so much less of it that it, since it covers better and is easier to work with, that it ends up not costing twice to do the same job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of my friends was a major sales director and product manager for Sherwin Williams and then for Benjamin Moore, and he assures us that BM is the best paint around. Interestingly, while it's nearly twice as expensive, you use so much less of it that it, since it covers better and is easier to work with, that it ends up not costing twice to do the same job.

It's also nearly constantly on sale at some level of discount, often a pretty good one. I think it's the best paint I've used.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Oh, the sales director says it's good huh

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

H110Hawk posted:

This is going to sound silly but bear with me. Get out the manual you totally saved and lookup the installation instructions. They likely tell you the minimum clearances on all 4 sides.

The intakes for the cooling are what matter. What is the intake temperature where it is going to be mounted? The TV exhausting onto it from above isn't a big deal, heat rises.

What do you know - it says only to "never place the system within 4 inches of the wall." I'll take that to mean if I have more that 4 inches of clearance on the left, right, and back of the machine and ~3inches on top I'll be good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

yoohoo posted:

What do you know - it says only to "never place the system within 4 inches of the wall." I'll take that to mean if I have more that 4 inches of clearance on the left, right, and back of the machine and ~3inches on top I'll be good.

There you have it! Look at the device all around. They likely only mean front/rear. If there are no vents on the sides it doesn't matter. The 4 sides I was referring to were top/bottom front/back. There are little feet on the bottom, don't put anything past the flat plane those make. If the top is curved then nothing directly on top. 4" in the back is likely exhaust. Make sure you have ambient temperature air coming in the front freely (no door / cover) and you're fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Speaking of paint. We are repainting the kitchen now that the walls have dropped below 50% tinted paint (vs just primer.) This is also another room where we are unstupid-ing their match-the-walls-with-no-trim ceiling color. gently caress you previous owner.

I realized this room is the most greasy due to cooking, we fry stuff frequently. Should I be cleaning the walls and ceiling prior to application? If so, what are people's opinions on what to use?

Google says something as simple as a mop w/ vinegar + dish soap, or laundry detergent solutions. Is it that easy or should I use something more caustic? We're using good but not super quality paint: Valspar Ultra Satin for the walls, and Valspar purple-to-white magic ceiling paint.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Should I be cleaning the walls and ceiling prior to application?

You should be doing this regardless of which room you're in. The kitchen just needs more cleaning. I've always used TSP for cleaning walls prior to painting.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I sprayed ZEP orange degreaser; let it stand; wipe down; repeat until clean. Then, wipe everything down with trisodium phosphate.

As my late father - a paint chemist with Rohm & Haas - drilled into me: Painting is all about surface prep. lovely paint won’t last, but even the best paint will peel quickly without proper surface prep.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You should be doing this regardless of which room you're in. The kitchen just needs more cleaning. I've always used TSP for cleaning walls prior to painting.

PainterofCrap posted:

I sprayed ZEP orange degreaser; let it stand; wipe down; repeat until clean. Then, wipe everything down with trisodium phosphate.

As my late father - a paint chemist with Rohm & Haas - drilled into me: Painting is all about surface prep. lovely paint won’t last, but even the best paint will peel quickly without proper surface prep.

Yeah I figured. Never used TSP before but I am scrubbing the ceiling right now with a basic soap / vinegar solution. It is both noticeably cleaner already and I am finding all the places they missed with the wall colored paint.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

I’ve had more than one house painter tell me that too. If I couldn’t use Benjamin Moore for whatever reason I’d use Sherman Williams but the stuff from Home Depot and Lowe’s is straight up a waste of money. Behr especially but I’ve never tried the ultra premium cause the regular stuff is so bad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

tactlessbastard posted:

Well, I mean he's worked at both companies, so he'd have a pretty good inside viewpoint, and if something was junk he'd tell me.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I used Benjamin Moore Aura on the exterior of my house. Went on extremely easily (1 coat, no primer) and it’s held up perfectly for 2 years now. Water beads off it really well. I’m guessing I’ll get 10 or more years out of it. I decided to paint my house myself so I figured I might as well buy the most expensive paint I could in an effort to have it last the longest. Well worth the $750 imo.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Oh, I agree, just joking y'all

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Different topic: I give my dog baths in my shower stall. Sometimes he has fine sand in his fur, from going to the beach. Most of it stays in the shower stall instead of washing down the drain, and I can clean it out afterwards, but presumably at least some is going down the drain. How big a deal is this? Obviously I don't want the drain to clog, but I'd guess a small quantity of sand will just eventually get washed down to the sewer main. But if that doesn't happen, is there some kind of sand trap I can install in the shower drain to catch the sand? It's pretty fine-grained stuff.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Different topic: I give my dog baths in my shower stall. Sometimes he has fine sand in his fur, from going to the beach. Most of it stays in the shower stall instead of washing down the drain, and I can clean it out afterwards, but presumably at least some is going down the drain. How big a deal is this? Obviously I don't want the drain to clog, but I'd guess a small quantity of sand will just eventually get washed down to the sewer main. But if that doesn't happen, is there some kind of sand trap I can install in the shower drain to catch the sand? It's pretty fine-grained stuff.

I can tell you from having had a saltwater tank that sand does eventually accumulate enough in the trap of the drain to become an issue. Mine was in a sink, so I was able to remove the trap and clear it. I imagine if it became an issue, a good plunger-ing of your shower would be enough to take care of it though since it's not a solid mass.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I realized this room is the most greasy due to cooking, we fry stuff frequently. Should I be cleaning the walls and ceiling prior to application? If so, what are people's opinions on what to use?

I wanted to add to the other suggestions that if the grease is like a thick, sticky enamel that doesn't come off with any amount of industrial degreaser, to scrub it with oil first, then use your degreaser. The last time I cleaned my kitchen cabinets, the ones above the stove were covered decade-old grease and I ended up using olive oil. It released the plasticized oil with way less labor then any solvent alone would've required.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shame Boner posted:

I wanted to add to the other suggestions that if the grease is like a thick, sticky enamel that doesn't come off with any amount of industrial degreaser, to scrub it with oil first, then use your degreaser. The last time I cleaned my kitchen cabinets, the ones above the stove were covered decade-old grease and I ended up using olive oil. It released the plasticized oil with way less labor then any solvent alone would've required.

Thankfully ours was not that gross, but I know what you're talking about. When we originally moved to CA the house my parents bought was like that. :barf: The turbo-stupid exhaust fan that was in the middle of the gas stovetop (and thus sucked the heat out with it, flames would lick into it if the burner and the fan were on high. This both made it hard to cook and likely dangerous.) was filled with grease. This is not an exaggeration, it had nearly 0 airflow until my dad scooped out the entire pipe into a bucket.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The wax ring in my downstairs toilet has been leaking for a while, unbeknownst to me until yesterday when it got worse and I heard it dripping on the ceiling in a finished portion of my basement. I replaced the wax ring (used one of those green rubber seals, worked great, highly recommend) and its no longer leaking. I cut away the ceiling around the drain and removed all the damaged drywall I can. Since its been leaking (not a ton) for a while, there is some black mold up there. Other than cutting away what I can, what do I do about areas I can't get to to kill the mold? i know bleach isn't enough. Complicating matters it looks like when this room was finished, they framed around the sewer pipe so its surrounded by wood strapping of sorts, which would make removing everything around this damage a massive project.

e: I think this is the stuff recommended before? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVGHQK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

opengl fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 20, 2018

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Shame Boner posted:

I thought my mom was nuts when she suggested this, but it seriously works. I used vegetable oil instead, but yeah, it loosens up any of the grease on the cabinet and wipes off without much elbow grease. Just make sure once you get the heavy stuff off you go back and clean the vegetable oil off the cabinets.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Anyone ever DIY’d self-leveling underlayment? We just poured 12 bags over 600sqft, mixing in 5 gallon buckets.

There was a lot of variability in consistency due to the small batches, and the wetter areas are drying a chalky white. I’m hoping this is just cosmetic effervescence.

It’s also still pretty soupy after 6 hours despite the bags claiming “walkable in 4,” but maybe the rain outside is adding to the humidity?

Anyone calm my worries that I just wasted $600 in materials?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

If it's already poo poo the bed at 5 years either you have comically hard water, that was the literal cheapest thing the supplier has, or both.

there wolf posted:

it's in a rental
There's your answer.

H110Hawk posted:

Simple Green works great on kitchen grease. Grab a blacklight flashlight and look at your kitchen at night. Not only will you be able to see if you've gotten everything, you'll either obsessively scrub everything or never feel like your kitchen is clean again.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Anyone ever DIY’d self-leveling underlayment? We just poured 12 bags over 600sqft, mixing in 5 gallon buckets.

There was a lot of variability in consistency due to the small batches, and the wetter areas are drying a chalky white. I’m hoping this is just cosmetic effervescence.

It’s also still pretty soupy after 6 hours despite the bags claiming “walkable in 4,” but maybe the rain outside is adding to the humidity?

Anyone calm my worries that I just wasted $600 in materials?

We found there's a bunch of variety in the coloring, you can definitely tell where the different batches ended up. We also ended up with some white chalky stuff on the surface.

I don't exactly remember drying times, but it's definitely based on how thick of a pour you did. The thicker areas took quite some time to cure.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm going to have to dig up and replace my sewer line from the house to the street because root intrusions are blocking it at least once a year now.

Problem is, the line runs right under the nicest part of my yard, any tips on preserving the grass and having everything flat again after I dig up that porous iron piece of poo poo and lay in an equal size PVC pipe?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We used to have our clay sewer line clog up about once a year with roots then we started using Root-X and haven’t had it happened since. Delaying the inevitable but not really something I want to pay for right now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

We used to have our clay sewer line clog up about once a year with roots then we started using Root-X and haven’t had it happened since. Delaying the inevitable but not really something I want to pay for right now.

It's worth a shot, I'm not looking forward to digging that bastard out. :barf:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

Seconding this. We had a real issue with this in the condo we rented (think 2-3 times a year.) root-x solved it all.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I looked around a bit and don't really see where else I can post it.
Anyway, does anybody know what brand/make/model my doorhinges (is that the correct term?) are?

Here are some pics I took of them.

You can see the complete hinge in the first pic (minus the coverplate), the thing I can just take out in the second pic and the way they're connected to my door in the last pic.

There's no name on them and I've been looking around the net without much results. One brand I came across was Dr. Hahn but I've already confirmed mine are not Dr. Hahns.
So does anybody know some other brands that I can look into?
I don't want to completely redo the stuff that bolts in the walls (I'm bad with names for things).

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

shut up blegum posted:

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I looked around a bit and don't really see where else I can post it.
Anyway, does anybody know what brand/make/model my doorhinges (is that the correct term?) are?

Is there any branding or serial number plates on the door? Those hinges look custom to that style of door.

Check the edges of the door or the doorframe for a plate or sticker with a company name.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

You can see the complete hinge in the first pic (minus the coverplate), the thing I can just take out in the second pic and the way they're connected to my door in the last pic.

There's no name on them and I've been looking around the net without much results. One brand I came across was Dr. Hahn but I've already confirmed mine are not Dr. Hahns.
I don't want to completely redo the stuff that bolts in the walls (I'm bad with names for things).

That is something proprietary. You'll need to talk with the door manufacturer.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

shut up blegum posted:

I'm not familiar with the style of hinge. Your best bet is probably to take measurements and just look around at hinges that look matching with a search for "UPVC hinges" and the measurements. Or just scour sites that have those style hinges and hoping to find the right one. It's tough to track down the exact part without a name. Did you look on the spine of the door on the hinge side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I only found one name on the door frame, and that was Winkhaus. Looking at their site, it seems more like they are a lock firm.
Anyways, I'll look around some more, maybe it's on the top for some dumb reason? Never thought something like this would be so hard to find tbh.

EDIT: :doh:I am an idiot. I took some tiny plastic caps of the hinges and now I see that there's a miniature elephant on them. That'll guide me in the right direction. Still seems hard to find though!

EDIT 2: seems like they are called Junior Elephant hinges.

I can only find them on shady Eastern European sites though, seems like the contractor that renovated my house bought a ton of stuff from there and brought it here.

Still, I'll contact some sites and see what I can do.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 21, 2018