Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think I've only won the chess game once, and it was with a genius gamesmaster.

I've been feeling the urge to start another run, but I feel like it'd probably be better to wait for Holy Fury. Do we have a release date yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Sulphagnist posted:

- ruler wrote a book about hunting a bear that somehow gives him sex appeal

I can only picture Brian Blessed.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I feel like I get that "Chess with Death" event all the goddamn time, and I've never survived it. Whenever it comes up I groan in exasperation as I know yet another kick-rear end character is going to unavoidably die after fruitlessly clicking 6 chance card choices that will inevitably result in my death.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Beerdeer posted:

I can only picture Brian Blessed.

The correct spelling is BRIAN BLESSED

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like they should put in more supernatural events have have a full practically fantasy mode full of satan and cryptids and magic and miracles and what have you happening everywhere, because there's so few supernatural elements through the rest of the game it feels like a wild tonal shift when it does happen.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I just got the Joan of Arc event chain for the first time in a while, but I haven't palled around with Robin Hood in the last 200 hours of playtime, at least. That event's still around, right?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ninjahedgehog posted:

I just got the Joan of Arc event chain for the first time in a while, but I haven't palled around with Robin Hood in the last 200 hours of playtime, at least. That event's still around, right?

Yeah, I just got the Robin Hood event chain so I can confirm it's still there

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Come to think of it, I feel like I used to get the demon child event a lot more often than I have lately, and it's certainly not for lack of trying.

Doesn't the Robin Hood event only fire if you're playing in Britain, though?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Crow Jane posted:

Come to think of it, I feel like I used to get the demon child event a lot more often than I have lately, and it's certainly not for lack of trying.

Certainly not! You just have to be christian or pagan. The bigger issue is that it requires that you have a demesne province with either 5% revolt risk or a highway robber band.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

No, you just need to be Christian or Pagan, and have a province with the Highway Robbers modifiers. That modifier requires you to be bankrupt, so it's not super common for a player to see. The event also has a MTTH of 2000 months, although being Arbitrary or Midas Touched will drop that down to almost nothing.

e: I guess I'm a slow typer :negative:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I got Joan once, but broke it by marrying her off. :(

I'm also getting the immortality event to fire quite a lot for some reason, have yet to actually succeed at the chain though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can the immortality chain actually ever result in the character gaining the immortal trait? I've only ever gotten the "reincarnated as a baby with all your traits" ending.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yup, see the Pope LP for an example.

It is stupid rare though, apparently if you find anyone at all there's something like an 80% chance of them being a fraud, and on the rare chance you find a real immortal you still have to jump through the right hoops.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's a Pope LP? How do you even do that?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I got Immortal once as the Empress of the custom Empire of Israel. Happened in the last century of the game. :negative:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

There's a Pope LP? How do you even do that?

Very infallibly.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sydin posted:

Can the immortality chain actually ever result in the character gaining the immortal trait? I've only ever gotten the "reincarnated as a baby with all your traits" ending.

Yeah, it happens. Here is the post I made about it a couple of years ago, as far as I know it's still accurate. It's about what happens once you get the event, but high stats + low health make the initial event more likely to fire.

binge crotching posted:

Yes, you can investigate to find out if they are a fraud, but you're better off not doing it. Unless your realm is so tenuous that you can't deal with being at negative cash during the event chain, you should just go all in on it without worrying about them being a fraud. If you discover that they are a fraud, all you can do is imprison or banish them, ending the event chain. Which you can do anyway during the events if you want.

The 4 options are diplo, martial, intrigue, and learning. In order to have each of them as an option, your respective stat needs to be at least 12, and you need to have a councilor assigned.

At that point, you get charged a year's wealth to change the chance of finding a mystic from 50/50 to 80/20. Assuming you find a mystic, you get one of the following options:

• 17 year old female Norse/Norse Grey Eminence. 80% chance at being a fraud, although if you have at least 22 diplo it's more like 30/70. Legit gets +6 to Diplomacy
  • 36 year old female Manden/West African Brilliant Strategist. 80% chance at being a fraud, although if you have at least 22 martial, etc. Legit gets +6 to Martial
  • 72 year old female Egyptian/Hurufi Elusive Shadow. 80% chance, etc. Legit gets +6 to Intrigue
  • 9 year old female Sinhala/Buddhist Quick Mystic. 80%, etc. Fraud gets +6 to Learning, legit gets +15. No matter what, gains a +2 to Diplo/Stewardship, -1 to Intrigue. If she shows up as a random courtier instead of found by your councilor, has roughly 25 learning for fraud or 35 for legit.

The breakpoints for making them less likely to be frauds are at 10/13/16/19/22 in the given stat. Go with whatever your stat is that makes the highest breakpoint, because even if you end up with a fraud, if your stats are high enough it makes the fraud less likely to fail anyway.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I really think we're overdue for a new thread. Not to rip on the OP, but stuff like that would be handy to have in the first or second post for quick reference. Besides this thread's as old as Horse Lords now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Weirdly, I've never seen some of the big events. Never seen Robin Hood. Never got Joan of Arc. Never had a Devil Spawn. I got chess with Death once, on a 20 year old queen who died and left the realm to her 2 year old kid. Had the immortality event start but I guess my character got over freaking out about his own mortality.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've literally never even seen the chess with death event chain. :argh:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've literally never even seen the chess with death event chain. :argh:

It's kind of cool but you're not missing much man. It has a very high likelyhood of killing you.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've had chess with death and succeeded the seduce option.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally succeeded at an immortality quest on the run where I had used the ruler designer to make a pretty amped-up ruler, and I finally made an islamic republic as well as becoming the Shia caliph. Then I was assassinated, and somehow my heirs weren't sayyid. Got only about 60 years out of the deal.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I really think we're overdue for a new thread. Not to rip on the OP, but stuff like that would be handy to have in the first or second post for quick reference. Besides this thread's as old as Horse Lords now.

Well if we're going to start considering that, it might be worth waiting until Holy Fury comes out and everything changes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's kind of cool but you're not missing much man. It has a very high likelyhood of killing you.

I got it the first time ever a couple weeks ago, and I won! Judging by the comments upthread it seems like it was beginner's luck.

EDIT: Actually this was the same game where I succeeded with the Immortality chain, now that I think about it. With the same ruler!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well if we're going to start considering that, it might be worth waiting until Holy Fury comes out and everything changes.

Absolutely agree. The immortality post just always makes me think of it because it's not handy in the first or second post.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

binge crotching posted:

Go with whatever your stat is that makes the highest breakpoint, because even if you end up with a fraud, if your stats are high enough it makes the fraud less likely to fail anyway.
afaik, even if it makes you less likely to fail, it is still something like 1 in 100 chance, at least for the last event.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Last thread conked out just before 1066 pages, think we could maybe get this one to at least 769 first? oh god I hope holy fury comes out before we hit 769 pages

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'll toss my vote on the "new thread for holy fury's release" pile. One with the first few posts reserved for useful poo poo for both newbies and more experienced players.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly I'm usually pretty impressed when someone forms the HRE at all in the 769 start. Sometimes Karl makes Francia and calls it a day, but usually he can't save up enough money for the title and all of Western Europe descends into a thousand years of technicolor gavelkind vomit.

The HRE has formed in my 769 Socotra game, but it was formed in 1116 by the King of Lombardy and it doesn't contain anything much of France or Germany. The Karlings instead went east and at one point held the Byzantine Empire.

It's a bit of a weird game in all. Islam is very close to extinct, Armenia is independent and even has a separate set of holdings in Hungary/Bulgaria, and most of Iraq and Persia are a Miaphysite kingdom (that last is my fault, they're my tributary).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dwesa posted:

afaik, even if it makes you less likely to fail, it is still something like 1 in 100 chance, at least for the last event.

For the final event it's a really bad chance, yeah. Before that it's not too bad. On the second step even with a fraud you have a 49% chance of success with only 16 in the stat, 19 and 22 make it weighted in your favor.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
As I recall, you can savescum before the mystic shows up to make sure you get a real one.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I wish I was better at not having my Zoroastrian children die horribly

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just got the Joan of Arc event for the first time in 400 hours of gameplay, so that's kind of cool. I was getting a pretty rapid string of events and was smoothing things over because of my high diplomacy, but then finally the nobles were all "gently caress you she's a commoner" and I responded with "double gently caress you because she isn't any more, get over here Joan you're a knight now" and haven't gotten another event for a couple years. I hope it doesn't just peter out there? I was expecting a trial at least.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

Just got the Joan of Arc event for the first time in 400 hours of gameplay, so that's kind of cool. I was getting a pretty rapid string of events and was smoothing things over because of my high diplomacy, but then finally the nobles were all "gently caress you she's a commoner" and I responded with "double gently caress you because she isn't any more, get over here Joan you're a knight now" and haven't gotten another event for a couple years. I hope it doesn't just peter out there? I was expecting a trial at least.

There are more events if she marries or has a kid, but if she loses her celibacy she loses Jesus' military advice. :( She's better off as a Marshal and court tutor than a queen, unfortunately.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

But can an AI get the event so you, as the player, can capture her and burn her at the stake? Historicity and all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ninjahedgehog posted:

There are more events if she marries or has a kid, but if she loses her celibacy she loses Jesus' military advice. :( She's better off as a Marshal and court tutor than a queen, unfortunately.

It never even crossed my mind you could marry her, I figured she'd just flat out refuse. Huh.

But yeah no way I'm giving up Jesus' pro battle stratz, 36 martial + inspiring leader + flanker :eyepop: She's currently rolling in a retinue stack along with two commanders with Chinese war traits and they're literally rolling through opposing stacks twice their size without taking significant casualties.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
there's an actual trait for reincarnation in rajas of India that should probably be given to characters who fail the immortality test, but that event chain was so impossibly rare that they've probably forgotten

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like they should put in more supernatural events have have a full practically fantasy mode full of satan and cryptids and magic and miracles and what have you happening everywhere, because there's so few supernatural elements through the rest of the game it feels like a wild tonal shift when it does happen.

Yeh some of the supernatural stuff is really fun but it comes out of no where. The first time I had the demon child event chain and watching all my heirs die one by one I didn't know what was happening but morbid curiosity made me keep the child alive. Oh that was a fun play through.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah those first times you experience these things are just awesome. Now at the slightest hint of a demon child I just eat the opinion hit and kinslayer and kill the drat thing.

Correction: Unless I'm non-republic and all the other kids are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just prep for chess death by taking carousing focus, game master pretty much guarantees success

• Locked thread