Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

no rasterisation numbers mentioned anywhere, just saying. Plenty of gigarays and RTX-OPS and ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mcbexx posted:

The prices were live on nvidias page, so they probably gauged the initial reactions and adjusted accordingly.
do you... believe that?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Why the hell would you pay an extra $200 for a founders 2080ti.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My plan was “buy the —70 card when the —80ti card launches”, but I have no idea what I’ll do now.

I was dumb enough to spend my $400 on a 1070 with a great awesome overkill cooler instead of a 1080 with a noisy loud one, so I don’t know what to do except “sell it eight months ago when crypto was sky high.” Maaaaybe I’ll swap to a 2060 but we’ll see.

I kind of just would rather get a g-sync monitor for this guy and ride him out into the glorious “can’t hit 80 FPS anymore” future.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"These cards are 3x more powerful than our last cards in these new 'RTX Ops' we made up. Just look at this graph...instead of benchmarks."

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wait... So if that is the FE Pricing starting, then we aren't completely boned yet..

However if that is the OEM Pricing, then well... We are-ish.

Founder's Editions prices are on nVidia's website.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

1200/800/600

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wait... So if that is the FE Pricing starting, then we aren't completely boned yet..

However if that is the OEM Pricing, then well... We are-ish.

FE is $100 higher on 2070/2080 and $200 higher on 2080 Ti, I think.

AIB partners are (for the most part) going to follow FE pricing, as usual. PNY appears to be an exception, maybe EVGA as well. But for the most part, if NVIDIA isn't selling them at MSRP, why would you?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looks like the retailer embargo lifted

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-graphics-cards
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cygni posted:

do you... believe that?

These are the prices listed right now. They are still up.

Either way, that's a fuckup. Why would you post those in the first place and not have them corrected immediately after the official live announcnement?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Will be interested to see if the RTX-on mode actually doesn't impact framerate in any significant manner. (But players leave it off anyway because it lets them see enemies in shadows better...)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mcbexx posted:

These are the prices listed right now.

Either way, that's a fuckup. Why would you post those in the first place and not have them corrected immediately after the official live announcnement?

These are the correct prices.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

$499 for the 2070 is still a big jump considering the 1070 launched at what, $379?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Waiting for nVidia to develop ~RayCoin~.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
How could the rumored prices be true and still sell cards? Based on the core count and boost clocks, we have GFLOPs going like:

2080ti > 1080ti > 2080 > 1080 > 2070 > 1070.

None of the top end 10 series is super bandwidth bound so the gaming performance probably follows this unless Nvidia pulled out some magic (Titan V performance suggests they didn't). You can't actually sell a 2070 for more than the current price of a 1080ti. Nobody would buy it, monopoly or not.

TBH the performance increase looks anemic, only 19% over previous gen for the Ti, 14% for the, 1080. And the latter is now 250W instead of 180. I think Nvidia has seriously blundered by wasting die space on tensor/rtx crap. They could have saved a bunch of r&d money and just did price drops on the existing GPUs.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

$499 for the 2070 is still a big jump considering the 1070 launched at what, $379?

You couldn't buy a 1070 for less than like $430 for a long time

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

yeah its a $100 jump for the xx80 and a $120 jump for the xx70, although i'm guessing they are going to be closer in performance than last cycle as they are using an identical memory config this time.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Sigh I missed the presentation due to work but sigh them prices oh well, we had it pretty good for a while

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mcbexx posted:

These are the prices listed right now. They are still up.

Looks strongly to me like they're doing the early-adopter tax again. FE cards will launch at $100-200 over MSRP, and most partners will follow with initial launch pricing.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'd like to think they wouldn't have the balls to charge these prices if they didn't have the performance to back it up, but lmao

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Monday_ posted:

I'd like to think they wouldn't have the balls to charge these prices if they didn't have the performance to back it up, but lmao

DLSS could potentially be a big performance bump for rendering higher resolutions. Like, render at 0.5x scale, and let the tensor cores interpolate the rest, takes a ton of load off the shader cores. Pretty sure that's where the "2070 is faster than Titan XP" thing comes from.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Its going to be down to the Benchmarks for sure. I do want to see what that Ti does in comparison to the current Ti. (And for Lol's my 980Ti)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

DLSS could potentially be a big performance bump for rendering higher resolutions. Like, render at 0.5x scale, and let the tensor cores interpolate the rest, takes a ton of load off the shader cores. Pretty sure that's where the "2070 is faster than Titan XP" thing comes from.

Could that be done in Driver alone so the game doesn't have to specifically support it? If so that could be huge.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

EVGA's basic RTX 2080 Ti is going for $1150 on their website

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Could that be done in Driver alone so the game doesn't have to specifically support it? If so that could be huge.

You'd have to go through that training process that Jensen was talking about, rendering a bunch of super-resolution images as a template for training, but that might be something that you could do at home for an arbitrary game, or that NVIDIA could do on their end.

I realize it'd be unlikely to go to court for a major player like NVIDIA, but I wonder what the legal implications of training a neural net that contains the "essence" of your game would be. Like, that net literally knows how to draw Witcher 3 or whatever, isn't that like a copyright violation in a box?

eames
May 9, 2009

AMD would get annihilated by the press for demoing upscaled 4K at 60FPS on a new-gen architecture as silky smooth.

Technically we no longer get to make fun of the console guys either, AI scaling or not. :smith:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wonder if that would be skirted by being a Local Learning sort of solution. Run the game benchmark at 4K for 30 minutes, then the game can be played at 720P and upscaled to 1080P/4K at 60FPS. That would be impressive if possible.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I told myself 700 was the hard limit, but with shipping it came out to 770 for an evga 2080.

Ah well. At least I have a displayport and don't need an adapter after all.

Now to forget about this purchase completely until 9/25 or so when it shows up...in theory.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Eyes Only posted:

How could the rumored prices be true and still sell cards? Based on the core count and boost clocks, we have GFLOPs going like:

2080ti > 1080ti > 2080 > 1080 > 2070 > 1070.

None of the top end 10 series is super bandwidth bound so the gaming performance probably follows this unless Nvidia pulled out some magic (Titan V performance suggests they didn't). You can't actually sell a 2070 for more than the current price of a 1080ti. Nobody would buy it, monopoly or not.

TBH the performance increase looks anemic, only 19% over previous gen for the Ti, 14% for the, 1080. And the latter is now 250W instead of 180. I think Nvidia has seriously blundered by wasting die space on tensor/rtx crap. They could have saved a bunch of r&d money and just did price drops on the existing GPUs.

I was planning to buy one for the energy efficiency, I am doing projects like solar power, and backpack VR (I have a bunch of Hoverboard battery packs that'll run the PC for an hour and are hot-swappable). But now I'm wondering why the TDP is higher. I wonder if it's just generally higher TDP because it's doing a lot more work and clocked higher, or if it is just higher in certain cases like when using the dedicated Ray Tracing cores?

eames
May 9, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder if that would be skirted by being a Local Learning sort of solution. Run the game benchmark at 4K for 30 minutes, then the game can be played at 720P and upscaled to 1080P/4K at 60FPS. That would be impressive if possible.

IIRC they said want to compute the models on their own exceptionally powerful hardware and let you download ~from the cloud~ (here I am imagining a $9.99/month for a 1440p subscription and $29.99 for 4K — downloadable exclusively via Geforce Experience)

Zero VGS posted:

I was planning to buy one for the energy efficiency, I am doing projects like solar power, and backpack VR (I have a bunch of Hoverboard battery packs that'll run the PC for an hour and are hot-swappable). But now I'm wondering why the TDP is higher. I wonder if it's just generally higher TDP because it's doing a lot more work and clocked higher, or if it is just higher in certain cases like when using the dedicated Ray Tracing cores?

We don't know but I fear that the rasterisation part of the chip is very close to Pascal die-shrunk to 12nm running at a power target that's pretty far into diminishing returns on the efficiency curve.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 20, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

From what some German admins on CB and Toms let slip, mass production has not started as of last week and even preview Bios/drivers are not finished.

Just to expand on this, the first batch of custom cards for late Sept is supposedly very, very small (probably airshipped in) and retailers refuse to speculate when later bulk shipments would arrive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rabid Snake posted:

There is a blower version listed, but not available for preorder. Thats the one that will be closest to $999 i reckon.

I don't think im a fan of the see through plastic shroud on all the Evga stuff, including the FTW3.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

Another 'thing,' the top SKUs for EVGA's 2080s *and* 2080Tis list them as 2.75 slot coolers. This thing might be hotter than they're leading on.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Jesus, the 2080ti is 17 times better at mining than the 1080ti. RIP

https://www.bitcoindesk.org/2080ti_mining_outrageous.php?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

You do realize if they somehow manage to make it actually a good mining card at mining something, we will recreate the GPU Drout of 2017-2018 again right? Don't even joke about such things.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just a visual of the EVGA I/O plate:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1gnoirents posted:

i thought this was a real article, i was hoping for some sick chaos driving even more people to raven ridge

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 20, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

It depends on what inputs NLSS uses, if it's just colour then that's easy to do at the driver level but if it uses other pixel metadata like depth or material properties then it becomes a lot harder to pull off without engine integration.

Maybe they could do "NLSS Lite" that works purely from colour though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just a visual of the EVGA I/O plate:

Looks like they are throwing in a DVI to Dp adapter too..I might try that and save myself a cable purchase..I hear dp can have sleep issues that DVI doesn't..

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

so what are some good prices to look out for in 1080 and 1080ti's on Craigslist and eBay now? anything from 500$ and below is good right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

Looks like they are throwing in a DVI to Dp adapter too..I might try that and save myself a cable purchase..I hear dp can have sleep issues that DVI doesn't..

Passive or active? The passive DVI adapters only do single-link so they won't help if your monitor is >60hz or >1080p.