Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bud makes the most sense, both by what we've seen and the way Doc and Jackson love to pay off a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Psychologically speaking if your entire life was based in this one moment of intense trauma that you were doing everything you could to block out (up to and including sexually repressing yourself) would you really bring up the exact story to a couple of space-tourists like it wasn't no thing?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

reignofevil posted:

Psychologically speaking if your entire life was based in this one moment of intense trauma that you were doing everything you could to block out (up to and including sexually repressing yourself) would you really bring up the exact story to a couple of space-tourists like it wasn't no thing?

of course he's going to bring up the folklore because he's wholly and fully convinced himself of his reality. Monsters rarely ever see themselves as such and will typically gladly give their defense unprompted.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Cojawfee posted:

In the book, they say they should have made the line be "get their stuff."

It was a terrible line read, which I completely blame on the script and cut. I rewatched it yesterday, and even know the supposed to be clothes, with subtitles playing, it still sounded like clones

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
We're also forgetting that Bud has been brainwashed/programmed, and might not consciously remember being triggered.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It could be vendata if the evil switch made him do the exact opposite of what he decided to to.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This thread is annoying to read with the spoiler tags on every single post for pages at a time. If you're not caught up, don't read the thread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not about being caught up. It's that the episodes have an official Sunday night premiere. The first two episodes were leaked early and AS released the third one early as well. The policy is before the street date, use spoiler tags.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Billzasilver posted:

It was a terrible line read, which I completely blame on the script and cut. I rewatched it yesterday, and even know the supposed to be clothes, with subtitles playing, it still sounded like clones

Even if they did say "Get their stuff" some nerd would probably write a ten page essay about how Rusty is referring to their genitals or something.

Regarding spoilers, if they continue to release the episode online on Fridays, perhaps we should just consider that the air time. Not many people came into the thread to discuss much else besides the episode.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We're also forgetting that Bud has been brainwashed/programmed, and might not consciously remember being triggered.

He wasn't actually brainwashed, though; the joke in "Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner" was that he isn't a Manchurian Candidate, he just acts weird naturally.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rodney's not going to recover. Remember Orpheus called his death as happening in "two years, seventeen days...of a stroke."

Also explains why he knew what happened.

He also probably knew because smelling burnt toast is a super stereotypical symptom of a stroke.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Monarch’s response to hearing his own name was extremely well acted

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah the only thing that was they put a chip was to record the incident which is how they found out his act of heroism was a farce.

Edit: I choked up a little how Monarch realizing that Vendata is his dad.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 20, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

He wasn't actually brainwashed, though; the joke in "Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner" was that he isn't a Manchurian Candidate, he just acts weird naturally.

The plot of that episode is kind of hard to follow, which is another reason why it is the worst one.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mantis42 posted:

The plot of that episode is kind of hard to follow
:chloe:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well for one thing, the reason why Bud Manstrong is being honored for "saving the Earth" flashes by really quick (Gargantua-1 landed on a terrorist camp). For another, whenever Bud and his mother are on screen my eyes just kind of glaze over.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rodney's not going to recover. Remember Orpheus called his death as happening in "two years, seventeen days...of a stroke."

Also explains why he knew what happened.

I wonder if the stroke happening and OG Team Venture leaving was a plot contrivance to get them out of the room so there wouldn't be anyone present able to piece together Malcolm = Monarch = Blue Morpho's kid = Doc's childhood friend.

Monarch seems to be the only one to have pretty much all the pieces - he knew Blue Morpho was his dad, he realized at the end who Vendata actually was, he has the picture of himself as a kid with Rusty, but nobody seems to know why they don't actually remember each other and where things went wrong there. One of the old team probably knows what happened there, but they probably think Malcolm died in the plane crash.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dr. Ms. is gonna be the one to figure it all out.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

TVs Ian posted:

Monarch seems to be the only one to have pretty much all the pieces
Assuming they believe his version of the story, the Guild is going to think that Monarch just killed both their #1 most-wanted enemy, plus a top-tier arch everyone believed was dead already. At the same time. It was loud, it was flashy, and did it basically at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Also, he (re-)killed Jonas Venture Sr quite literally on his Son's doorstep. That's a solid 11 out of 10 for supervillain style. If the truth comes out about Monarch's parentage, he can also claim the elusive double-patricide, which I have to imagine is a rare achievement even among those in the business. He'd be a legend.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 20, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I don't know if Vendata was the one who did the Movie Night Massacre. He denied it, saying that he'd remember doing such a thing, when Jonas suggested that he did it. Of course, he's apparently prone to malfunctions and manipulation, so who really knows? Vendata being the one who did it is plausible, probable even, but it's not necessarily what happened. Unreliable narrators, and all that.

Cojawfee posted:

Regarding spoilers, if they continue to release the episode online on Fridays, perhaps we should just consider that the air time. Not many people came into the thread to discuss much else besides the episode.

My only concern with this is that it's not available on Friday everywhere.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Robot Hobo posted:

Assuming they believe his version of the story, the Guild is going to think that Monarch just killed both their #1 most-wanted enemy, plus a top-tier arch everyone believed was dead already. At the same time. It was loud, it was flashy, and did it basically at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Also, he (re-)killed Jonas Venture Sr quite literally on his Son's doorstep. That's a solid 11 out of 10 for supervillain style. If the truth comes out about Monarch's parentage, he can also claim the elusive double-patricide, which I have to imagine is a rare achievement even among those in the business. He'd be a legend.

Phantom Limb was willing to accept a really obvious fake just to declare the matter closed, so I suspect they’ll let the Monarch take credit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Dr. Ms. is gonna be the one to figure it all out.

Dr. Ms. probably has most of the dots connected (I believe she's only missing the how Jonas got a hold of Monarch's dad to make him Vendatta/Venturion) so she has enough, I think to make the educated guess about him being Monarch's dad. Beyond that, it's a matter if the Monarch figures it out (I think he knows it's his dad, but doesn't even have what his wife knows at this point outside of Vendatta knowing his real name) and how he responds. Especially whether or not the Guild still has the body for whatever reason.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He called him daddy. He knows it's his dad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

tarlibone posted:

Now, this I agree with. Hell, I like it if for no other reason than it shows that Rusty isn't a total gently caress-up. He mastered cloning where his father either couldn't or didn't, either due to his untimely death, or due to problems he just couldn't resolve before he lost interest. It would explain why Rusty was so offended when Brisby wanted his father's notes on cloning instead of just asking Rusty. Brisby didn't know the boys were clones, and him assuming that Rusty couldn't have possibly pulled off that feat of superscience would piss Rusty off to no end. As it did.

Another thing to throw into this is Jonas might have abandoned genetics a long time before to focus a LOT more on robotics technology. With the above idea in place, too, we have the exchange from the college episode where Mike Soriyama is really keen on talking to Jonas sometime about robots, while Rusty is incredibly dismissive of the whole field. By this point, Jonas might have been seen as an all around science/tech expert, but maybe his main specialty was in robotics.

Rusty seems to be capable enough with robotics to keep Helper up and running, but as a grad student he's kind of making GBS threads on it a bit because that's his old man's big important thing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Knowing Monarch's lineage retroactively makes all of his previous interactions with Hank and Dean better since it's their Uncle tormenting them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
"And monarch went all 'creepy uncle' on us"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch knows that Vendata is The Monarch's dad. She was there for the explanation of how he became Vendata and 21 told her The Blue Morpho is his dad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's always the possibility that Jonas had every intention of spacing his entire crew after realizing Gargantua-1 could be run with a skeleton crew and automation, and killing them would be easier than firing them and paying them severance. We already know he has no empathy from when he left the orphans down in the bunker, and his raising of Rusty. He probably just got caught up in his own mass murder, or someone who was juiced in realized they were going to be the patsy and jumped the gun.

It just seems convenient that his team was delayed *just* long enough to escape getting killed.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you guys remember that machine the Monarch used that one time to try and psychically kill Rusty? Do you think the Monarch will use that to try and communicate with his dad, assuming the brain is intact enough?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's always the possibility that Jonas had every intention of spacing his entire crew after realizing Gargantua-1 could be run with a skeleton crew and automation, and killing them would be easier than firing them and paying them severance. We already know he has no empathy from when he left the orphans down in the bunker, and his raising of Rusty. He probably just got caught up in his own mass murder, or someone who was juiced in realized they were going to be the patsy and jumped the gun.

It just seems convenient that his team was delayed *just* long enough to escape getting killed.

I doubt the last thing he would remember in this case would be the opening to Sharky's machine.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Best moment was Brock and the V falling with the quick poo poo

Also why didn't Pete White just shrink the big V?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Best moment was Brock and the V falling with the quick poo poo

Also why didn't Pete White just shrink the big V?

You can't just shrink a century of venture-y!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cojawfee posted:

Dr. Mrs. The Monarch knows that Vendata is The Monarch's dad. She was there for the explanation of how he became Vendata and 21 told her The Blue Morpho is his dad.

Yeah, she literally says that in the episode.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Ah drat it. This is the first I'm hearing of Venture T-Shirts and now I've missed it. Bugger.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

OscarDiggs posted:

Ah drat it. This is the first I'm hearing of Venture T-Shirts and now I've missed it. Bugger.

You can still order the shirts one at a time; you will miss out on the first two weeks shirts and the special bonus shirt aping off the poster for Sharky's machine but I'm guessing we still have some gems left in this coal mine

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

reignofevil posted:

You can still order the shirts one at a time; you will miss out on the first two weeks shirts and the special bonus shirt aping off the poster for Sharky's machine but I'm guessing we still have some gems left in this coal mine

What were the previous two designs? This Jonas one is looking pretty rad as it is.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

OscarDiggs posted:

What were the previous two designs? This Jonas one is looking pretty rad as it is.

Problem light shirt and the monarch's face on the front of modern enemy monthly as the blue morpho

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

The PROBLEM light and one with Blue Morpho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Problem light shirt and the monarch's face on the front of modern enemy monthly as the blue morpho

Peewi posted:

The PROBLEM light and one with Blue Morpho.

Thanks.