Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ughhhh posted:

so what are some good prices to look out for in 1080 and 1080ti's on Craigslist and eBay now? anything from 500$ and below is good right?

You can buy a 1080 from evga new for 429.99, so I don't think i'd pay much more than 300 for a well used one. I kinda doubt the used market will go that low now though, at least not until 2080's actually start shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dr. Despair posted:

You can buy a 1080 from evga new for 429.99, so I don't think i'd pay much more than 300 for a well used one. I kinda doubt the used market will go that low now though, at least not until 2080's actually start shipping.

They had New 1080s for $400 on their ebay store a few weeks ago too. Think those dried up and it's just $650 1080tis

edit: nope some new $400s are still there though they don't have retail boxes. They do still come with Destiny 2 codes

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 20, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

german 2080ti retail prices

note that the triple fan Asus Strix isn't even listed yet, the "Dual OC" was historically the value oriented dual fan card.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

evga's website is saying pre-orders are already sold out on the regular 2080s. the stock situation is gonna be poo poo aint it

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cygni posted:

evga's website is saying pre-orders are already sold out on the regular 2080s. the stock situation is gonna be poo poo aint it

Well that was a fast 10 minute window. I'm sure it'll get canceled somehow. At least I should be able to find a buyer for my evga 1080 fairly easy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep. Look forward to getting a 2080Ti Sometime Christmas 20182019

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
:(

*gargling jen's balls*

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

1gnoirents posted:

:(

*gargling jen's balls*

lol

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
They won't need to train networks per game, but games with wildly different art styles might benefit from different networks. I could see it being most useful with dynamic resolution scaling, depending on how flexible they can make it. If it runs in separate hardware on the card it can be used to claw back some of the quality lost when rendering at a lower resolution.

I'd also like to see it used on the desktop for rendering non-dpi aware applications at higher DPI, instead of doing whatever blurry method windows uses by default, but that's a pipe dream.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's weird how they never mentioned NVLink SLi during the presentation. I'll take that to mean the scaling still sucks rear end until we see some benchmarks.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I think I'm gonna go for a 1080ti, the 2080 euro prices are nuts. I'll at least wait for the reviews but it doesn't seem like the value is there, in terms of increased performance over price.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

adamarama posted:

I think I'm gonna go for a 1080ti, the 2080 euro prices are nuts. I'll at least wait for the reviews but it doesn't seem like the value is there, in terms of increased performance over price.

I'll sell you a pristine Alienware 1080ti for $500 shipped to the EU ;)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

It's weird how they never mentioned NVLink SLi during the presentation. I'll take that to mean the scaling still sucks rear end until we see some benchmarks.

evga's website was saying it worked with their regular SLI brackets, but that may just be a copy/paste legacy.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

1gnoirents posted:

I'll sell you a pristine Alienware 1080ti for $500 shipped to the EU ;)

That has been running at full tilt to mine funbucks since purchase.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah guess I'll just buy a 1080 or something. Wanted to upgrade for BFV with the 8086K I got but $600 for a 2070 is kinda steep. Sucks because I just bought a 1440p monitor in anticipation

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The FE designs do look sorta cool

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Lambert posted:

That has been running at full tilt to mine funbucks since purchase.

Yes, since February, 73* and 45% fan speed

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Llamadeus posted:

The FE designs do look sorta cool

Traditionaly those were very noisy, they changed the design but still a risky purchase without review.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Do what's the consensus on the RTX so far?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

punk rebel ecks posted:

It'll shoot so many rays your face will loving melt off *leather jacket appears out of the mist*

TheOP
Sep 12, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait for benchmarks

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

All we know at present is that one of them (presumably the 2080Ti) can run a notoriously-easy-to-manipulate 3DMark benchmark at a solid 59.9-60fps@4K, and that they're way better at ray-making than cards that weren't designed to make rays.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I kind of feel like taking this step was always going to be painful because they had to sacrifice considerable die space for new functional units that probably won't be utilized in most games for a while resulting in a performance/$ hit in the near term. I can see why a lot of people would just stick with Pascal and wait a while until most games are utilizing the ray tracing features.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

eames posted:

german 2080ti retail prices

note that the triple fan Asus Strix isn't even listed yet, the "Dual OC" was historically the value oriented dual fan card.

1300€ for the cheaper Strix Ti, then?

Ok yeah no thanks

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Today's announcement should be kinda :smith: for ITX builders, too - maybe the 2070 could be shrunk to work, but I can't see a 2080 or 2080Ti being viable unless it's detuned.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All we know at present is that one of them (presumably the 2080Ti) can run a notoriously-easy-to-manipulate 3DMark benchmark at a solid 59.9-60fps@4K, and that they're way better at ray-making than cards that weren't designed to make rays.

My hope is that benchmarks will show that RTX-on mode with the new cards doesn't impact framerate much, so it becomes a no-brainer to just have it on.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This has a nice overview to see what things look like right now: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx2080/.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ugh, still 850€ minimum for the non-Ti.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No evga hybrid :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Spacedad posted:

My hope is that benchmarks will show that RTX-on mode with the new cards doesn't impact framerate much, so it becomes a no-brainer to just have it on.

What it looks like is the part that does all the work for the fancy RTX stuff is separate from the normal rendering work, so hopefully this is the case and it doesn't have an impact unless the workload goes above what the RTX can do on that card. Will be interesting to say the least, and the list of games that supposed to be getting the upgrade is actually nice.

Cannot wait to give In Death a try with it someday. As well as Asseto Corsa. VR Games have a lot to benefit from this.

Racing games will too especially if we can finally get realistic rearview mirrors. It's a small detail that would look great if done realisticly.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

EdEddnEddy posted:

What it looks like is the part that does all the work for the fancy RTX stuff is separate from the normal rendering work, so hopefully this is the case and it doesn't have an impact unless the workload goes above what the RTX can do on that card. Will be interesting to say the least, and the list of games that supposed to be getting the upgrade is actually nice.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm hoping for with it. They seemed to imply the ease with which they can use it that that might be the case.

quote:

Cannot wait to give In Death a try with it someday. As well as Asseto Corsa. VR Games have a lot to benefit from this.

Racing games will too especially if we can finally get realistic rearview mirrors. It's a small detail that would look great if done realisticly.

Any game where you can really linger around and admire a scene from different angles (VR being able to do it with head tracking of course) will benefit immensely from the new ray tracing lighting I think. Action games will benefit to an extent sure, but during frentic action where it's hard to read all the Pretty that's going on, maybe not quite as much. (And as always for serious competitive shooters - definitely not; people will disable anything that creates visual noise in favor of gameplay clarity.)

But yeah, racing games I hadn't considered. Long stretches of highway over country & cityscapes, different weather & road conditions, reflections off other vehicles around you, etc - all of that would benefit amazingly.

And of course hopefully-not-janky sim games.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 20, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Did someone already make this joke?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Today's announcement should be kinda :smith: for ITX builders, too - maybe the 2070 could be shrunk to work, but I can't see a 2080 or 2080Ti being viable unless it's detuned.

Yeah this is what makes me sad. After seeing how the 10 generation had plenty of SFF/single fan versions of things, I got a sense of things getting smaller. Welp :smithcloud:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Spacedad posted:

I suspect most of the early engine support will be hybrid raster + rtx shaders. Since the rtx shaders are stochastic and combined using denoising techniques, it seems like they should be scalable all the way down to zero rays. There might be some minimal number of rays below which noise artifacts actually make the scene worse, though.

The big question for me is potential performance of acceleration structure updates, especially if developers are porting existing engines. Does it play nicely with tessellation and displacement mapping?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think I'm gonna sit this one out for at least half a year. I'm gonna splurge the reserve funds on a decent water cooling setup instead.

People are already speculating about a die shrink very soon, anyway, based on the way the model numbers are constructed.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

buglord posted:

Yeah this is what makes me sad. After seeing how the 10 generation had plenty of SFF/single fan versions of things, I got a sense of things getting smaller. Welp :smithcloud:

Maybe they'll shrink it down for the 2180.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

punk rebel ecks posted:

MTYCAP

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah I'm most likely sticking with my 1070 and may upgrade the rest of my computer after Zen 2 shakes out. i5-3550 may end up being good enough though.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dr. Despair posted:

found a evga 1080 on Craigslist near me for $350. If i can get a gsync 1440p monitor for under 500$ im gonna be happy and not care about the 20xx cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They should still work fine with the non-SFF ITX cases. The 2080 and 2080TI FEs are the same length and width as the 1080 TI FE, and only about 0.18" taller. In fact, they're slightly smaller than the EVGA 1080 TI SC2, which fits like a glove in the Core V1 (if gloves went on the inside), and has had much better thermals than the single-fan 1060 6gb I originally installed. The higher TDP could be an issue though...

Is there something about the circuitry that makes it more difficult to shrink the PCB?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 20, 2018