Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tibalt posted:

but I'm not sure if there's some risk I'm unaware of.

Tibalt posted:

, and then decided to buy a house

Do what you want. You got a recommendation to hire a lawyer from a PA lawyer who practiced that specific law. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

Do what you want. You got a recommendation to hire a lawyer from a PA lawyer who practiced that specific law. :shrug:

Should he put all his money into paying off his mortgage early so that he's judgment proof, yes/no

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That wouldn’t create a judgment proof scenario unless you are thinking of something I don’t know about.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

euphronius posted:

I'm not disrespecting your advice, I'm just trying to understand it.

Are you saying that, since I'll own a house, I should have a lawyer negotiate leaving the lease early from step 1 to ensure I'm not a risk, and I shouldn't even try to resolve this amicably on my own?

Edit since that might not be the best word to use.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m saying hire a lawyer and do what she says. if she says you write the first letter than do that.

Hire a lawyer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry a local lawyer. Hire a local lawyer from the town in which the rental property is.

Don’t hire some Philadelphia law form for 600$ an hour or whatever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Do it, spend the money, if it's as easy as a letter (which can be more effective when on an attorney's letterhead in these dumb landlord/tenant scenarios) it won't even cost that much.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Your best case scenario: No more lease.

Your worst case scenario: loving up, owing thousands of dollars in rent, having a judgment against you and ruining your credit.

Is there risk in writing the email/letter yourself? If I could count high enough, I'd give you the number of people I've represented the last six months who hosed up by 'just writing the letter themselves.' but I've only got 20 fingers+toes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > The Legal Questions Thread: Talk To An Attorney in Your Local Area

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just so we’re clear, there’s no way he’s on the hook for anything other than the remaining 8 months on the lease, right?

It’s still dumb as gently caress but that’s what I get from the review quotes above.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I could conceive of damages in excess of that. If you are asking like “What could be put in a complaint or demand”

But I worked with and against slum lords so.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I meant specifically wrt to terminating the lease early. The landlord can definitely claim he wore down the carpet or some bullshit for extra damages.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Does PA have shifting fees in LL/tenant disputes?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s in every lease I’ve seen that tenant pays fees for successful landlord suit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

It’s in every lease I’ve seen that tenant pays fees for successful landlord suit.

Lots of leases are filled with clauses that are outright invalid under local state law, though. I have no knowledge of PA specifically but of the five or so landlord/tenant contracts I can remember looking at in my state, every one of them had at least one provision that was outright invalid under local law (usually waiving rights that state law prevents tenants from waiving, etc.). Either they're something the landlord's kid cooked up with an app or they're put together by the legal team for the out-of-state conglomerate that owns the building, etc.

This is a big part of why the answer to landlord/tenant questions is almost always "talk to an attorney in your area"

EDIT: oh you are a PA attorney and this is in PA ! sorry my bad missed that part. I'd guess you're probably right then!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 20, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was enforceable when I did them. It will depend on the arbitrators or judge whether they are ultimately enforced tho (get a local attorney). It will also of course depend on the drafting of the language in the lease and “reasonability” .

I haven’t done LT for 4 years so they could have been a Court cases proscribing them idk.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

:lol: he's boned

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean... I'm kind of hoping to avoid going to court. I'm pretty sure I can just keep paying a lease on an empty apartment if necessary, you all scared me straight here.

Edit: assuming I can't find a tenant willing to take on the 12+ month lease that meets her standards, I mean.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 20, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hiring a lawyer doesn't mean going to court. A probable outcome will resemble:

Lawyer listens to your situation, says "gently caress 20 months, you're responsible for the rest of the lease and that's it",
you find someone willing to take the rest of your lease,
your lawyer sends the landlord that info + a letter that says, in better language, "gently caress 20 months, he's only responsible for the remaining 8, here's someone who wants the apartment for 8 months, let's wrap this poo poo up all nice-like", and the landlord takes it

A consult with a landlord/tenant lawyer will cost between 0 and a couple hundred dollars which is basically nothing given that thousands are involved here.

It's also possible the landlord is nuts and decides to die on that hill in court at which point you definitely need the lawyer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1,000 lawyers: hire a lawyer

Goon: maybe there is another way.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I think one of the things that should be repeatedly highlighted is that "hire a lawyer" doesn't spending thousands to retain a crack legal team but spending a small sum of money for some basic advice and to make sure the letter that is sent doesn't come to bite you in the rear end later.

Most stuff never goes to trial etc since that it expensive for everyone involved and if you hired a lawyer to get the letter right at the outset it also makes it much less likely they can find anything to get you for.

Anyway, is there any way to get something in the OP to give people an idea of what getting a lawyer to look at a small routing matter might cost since so many people who wander in here seem to be under the impression that hiring a lawyer is the nuclear option that will cost a fortune rather than a sensible decision like checking with a surveyor whether the wall you are about to knock down in your house is load bearing.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

More legal theory questions due to major Federal Campaign Candidate news yesterday.

Discussion of committing criminal acts is not privileged communication, right? I assume lawyers cannot speak about prior attorney-client privileged conversations, even after they are no longer representing said client? What is the penalty if they do, being disbarred? If an attorney IS disbarred, could they THEN speak about that stuff, or because they were an attorney at the time the privilege would still exist?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mercenarynuker posted:

More legal theory questions due to major Federal Campaign Candidate news yesterday.

Discussion of committing criminal acts is not privileged communication, right? I assume lawyers cannot speak about prior attorney-client privileged conversations, even after they are no longer representing said client? What is the penalty if they do, being disbarred? If an attorney IS disbarred, could they THEN speak about that stuff, or because they were an attorney at the time the privilege would still exist?

Discussion of committing criminal acts is not privileged communication, right?

"Discussion" of criminal acts, in and of itself, could be privileged.

You have to understand there are two distinct sets of rules here. One is a lawyer's ethical obligations, and the privileges that relate to them. The other is a lawyer's obligation, like everyone else, to follow the law.

On the ethical/privilege side, a lawyer is typically ethically bound not to disclose confidential information of a client, EXCEPT where the lawyer reasonably believes disclosure is necessary:

Rule 1.6 posted:

(1) to prevent reasonably certain death or substantial bodily harm;

(2) to prevent the client from committing a crime or fraud that is reasonably
certain to result in substantial injury to the financial interests or property of
another and in furtherance of which the client has used or is using the lawyer’s
services;

(3) to prevent, mitigate or rectify substantial injury to the financial interests or
property of another that is reasonably certain to result or has resulted from the
client’s commission of a crime or fraud in furtherance of which the client has used
the lawyer's services.

There are other exceptions but these are the most relevant here I think. So, if your client tells you they committed a crime in the past, you cannot disclose that unless the disclosure will prevent injury or death, or the client used you to commit a crime. This is called the "crime-fraud exception" and applies to much of what Cohen is involved in (to the extent he is even acting as a lawyer at all).

This also applies where, for example, someone consults with you for advice or assistance in committing crimes or fraud (e.g. Cohen).

This can also apply where "discussion" of the criminal acts happens, and then your client tells you they are going to talk to the FBI or testify before a grand jury and lie about it. If the lawyer allows this to happen, they could be criminally liable for suborning perjury. You get all kinds of interesting scenarios where for example a client wants to lie under oath, and the lawyer has to withdraw (so as not to suborn perjury) without revealing the confidential reason why he is withdrawing.

I assume lawyers cannot speak about prior attorney-client privileged conversations, even after they are no longer representing said client?

Correct. Though there are exceptions, like above. Also, if one of your clients sues you, you have the right to disclose confidential information to the extent necessary to defend yourself.

What is the penalty if they do, being disbarred?

Professional discipline usually depends on the interaction of numerous mitigating and aggravating factors, including the severity of the crime, cooperation of the lawyer, disciplinary history of the lawyer, etc. Discipline can go from no sanction or private admonishment of the lawyer (i.e. lawyer is reprimanded but only the act and sanction are made public--not the identity of the lawyer), to formal public reprimand or suspension from practice for a time, all the way to permanent disbarment.

You may also have criminal exposure or civil malpractice liability as a result. It all depends.

If an attorney IS disbarred, could they THEN speak about that stuff, or because they were an attorney at the time the privilege would still exist?

I believe the confidentiality requirement survives disbarment.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 22, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Also of note is that the attorney-client privilege is vested with the client - if the client waives the privilege, there's nothing protecting the attorney from having the communications subject to discovery. This came up recently with Cohen's recordings - Trump's lawyers waived privilege over them during the 'special master' process, so the recordings were available to the FBI even though Cohen may have preferred that they not be.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mercenarynuker posted:

Edit: I spent too long writing an angry email; read the other replies. However,

Something Else you might be interested in:

When an attorney calls their witness to the stand, the attorney is legally bound not to call someone they know is going to lie under oath. So, if your client says to the attorney, "yeah, just put me on the stand and I'm going to lie my rear end off and get away with it." the attorney is ethically bound not to call their client as a witness. But a defendant has the legal right to testify on their behalf, if they so choose.

So, what do you do then?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

When an attorney calls their witness to the stand, the attorney is legally bound not to call someone they know is going to lie under oath. So, if your client says to the attorney, "yeah, just put me on the stand and I'm going to lie my rear end off and get away with it." the attorney is ethically bound not to call their client as a witness. But a defendant has the legal right to testify on their behalf, if they so choose.

So, what do you do then?

Ask the judge to be dismissed from the case, explain why in a sidebar, have your request denied

The judge asks your client if he wishes to testify, he says yes

You call your client as a witness pursuant to that request

You let the client testify in narrative form

Is that about right from what I remembered from last time

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mercenarynuker posted:

discussion of committing criminal acts would frequently be covered by attorney-client privilege. if you ask your attorney "if I did X, is that a crime?", "how do I do X so it's not a crime?", "I did X, was that a crime?" "I did X and I know it was a crime and i got charged with it, i want you to defend me" are all covered by the privilege.

what's not covered is involving your attorney in the crime, "hey i want to commit tax fraud, structure these transactions in a way that will fool the IRS" is not covered, or "take this money and pay off my mistresses to benefit my re-election campaign without filing the necessary reports with the FEC"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have a textbook example of how to effectively represent yourself "pro se" in court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDdwCYUdNfc

I'm sorry, I meant ineffectively.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vargatron posted:

I have a textbook example of how to effectively represent yourself "pro se" in court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDdwCYUdNfc

I'm sorry, I meant ineffectively.

Hold my beer while I introduce my prior bad acts that the prosecutor was prohibited from discussing

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being a lawyer seems a lot like being a wizard. Does that make sovereign citizens kobolds?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Turtlicious posted:

Being a lawyer seems a lot like being a wizard. Does that make sovereign citizens kobolds?

Sorcerer, they use Charisma not Wisdom for their courtroom ability checks

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If an attorney IS disbarred, could they THEN speak about that stuff, or because they were an attorney at the time the privilege would still exist?

I believe the confidentiality requirement survives disbarment.

While the Rules of Professional Conduct do attempt to regulate the conduct of even a suspended lawyer (see 5.5(e)(4)), I have some serious questions about the applicable body's ability to apply any additional sanctions (other than, the case of the unauthorized practice of law, referral for criminal prosecution if applicable).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

While the Rules of Professional Conduct do attempt to regulate the conduct of even a suspended lawyer (see 5.5(e)(4)), I have some serious questions about the applicable body's ability to apply any additional sanctions (other than, the case of the unauthorized practice of law, referral for criminal prosecution if applicable).

Interesting way to look at it. I think if a disbarred lawyer were to seek reinstatement, violations of the rules after disbarment could be relevant to the application for reinstatement.

There is also the issue of attorney-client privilege vs. lawyer's duty of confidentiality. Depending on when the information is sought to be obtained from the lawyer, it may be privileged under the rules of evidence of a state. I haven't researched any of that, but it's an additional consideration.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Regardless of the consequences to the lawyer, are improperly disclosed privileged conversations admissible as evidence?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve read a few cases where a suspended lawyer was further sanctioned for activities done while suspended.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Read your states attorney disciplinary board decisions. They are usually hilarious. If you are a bored insane person I guess.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Turtlicious posted:

Thought Eater.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Kobolds provide useful experience.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Interesting way to look at it. I think if a disbarred lawyer were to seek reinstatement, violations of the rules after disbarment could be relevant to the application for reinstatement.

Oh, without question.

euphronius posted:

I’ve read a few cases where a suspended lawyer was further sanctioned for activities done while suspended.

Right. But once you hit "permanent disbarment", I think you've hit the limit.

euphronius posted:

Read your states attorney disciplinary board decisions. They are usually hilarious. If you are a bored insane person I guess.

Yup.

quote:

In late 2013, the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office obtained information that [attorney James D. Mecca] was receiving drugs for payment of his legal services. Specifically, a cooperating individual (CI) contacted the Narcotics Division of the Sheriff’s Office on December 12, 2013 to advise that she had come into contact with respondent while attending court earlier that morning, and that respondent had offered his legal services in exchange for marijuana. The CI reported that she had used respondent in the past for legal counsel, and had paid him with marijuana on three separate occasions over a period of one year or more. ... Upon review of the findings and recommendations of the hearing committee and disciplinary board, and considering the record and the briefs filed by the parties, it is ordered that James D. Mecca, Louisiana Bar Roll number 28148, be and he hereby is suspended from the practice of law for one year.
https://www.ladb.org/DR/Default.aspx?DocID=8693&TAB=SC

And, forgot this one:

quote:

IN RE DEBRA L. CASIBRY (Metairie), 2018-B-2045, (5/1/18)
The Court disbarred the respondent based upon her arrest for DWI and failure to appear at trial, pleading no contest to driving under the influence in Mississippi and failing to pay the associated fines and costs, forging her criminal attorney’s signature on a motion and filing it with the court, pleading guilty to a loud noise charge after being arrested for failing to leave a hotel upon multiple requests to do so by the hotel’s staff, pleading guilty to simple assault after attempting to bite a corrections officer, and failing to cooperate with the ODC in its investigations.
The Mississippi Arrest Matter...Respondent is currently a fugitive from justice in Mississippi.
The Louisiana Arrest Matter...The warrant remains outstanding, and respondent is evading prosecution in this matter.
The Forgery Matter
In January 2014, respondent contacted her attorney, Stephen Richard, and asked him to file a motion requesting the Slidell City Court to refund monies she recently paid towards her fees and court costs related to her first DWI case, which was the subject of Cassibry I. When Mr. Richard refused, respondent prepared the motion herself and forged Mr. Richard’s signature on it.
The Jefferson Parish Criminal Matter
Several times during her stay, the hotel’s staff requested that respondent refrain from smoking in her non-smoking room. When she failed to stop smoking in the room, the hotel’s staff asked her to leave. She failed to leave, and she was arrested on charges of entry/remaining after forbidden. The charges were later amended to a loud noise charge
The Outstanding Warrants Arrest Matter
In November 2014, respondent was arrested by the Slidell Police Department on two outstanding warrants. While incarcerated, respondent became combative with the corrections officers and suffered injuries. Respondent requested to be taken to the hospital, and after arriving at the hospital, she tried several times to leave her bed, ignoring the corrections officer’s commands to stay in the bed. When the corrections officer attempted to handcuff respondent to the bed, she attempted to bite his forearm.
https://www.ladb.org/DR/Default.aspx?DocID=8973&TAB=SC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I like reading the discipline reports in the bar journal. I've seen numerous disbarments and suspensions of lawyers I've run into over the years, always thinking they were idiots. It's always fun to see the name of a lawyer you had a problem with in the past, read the reasons for discipline, and say, "yeah that sounds about right."