Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
@enraged_camel have you gotten a solar array going yet? Have any pics if so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's an album of my current build (sorry for fragmented nature).

https://imgur.com/a/yGPLRlB

e: Note that I don't have any natural gas visible at the moment?
I see that a good chunk of your fresh water supply is in a tank with an opening right below one of your main ladders.

Yes, someone WILL pause at the top of the ladder and piddle down into it from 4 levels up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

@enraged_camel have you gotten a solar array going yet? Have any pics if so?

I started building them when I was playing a few weeks back, then got bored and uninstalled the game. I might reinstall if the next content patch offers interesting stuff, including a sane method of crafting steel that doesn't involve farming thousands of pacu egg shells.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Made it to day 19 before stopping because my farm was directly above my battery bank so all my plants overheated. :thumbsup:

Next time I'll need to remember to keep them far apart. Does anyone have any good guides or videos to how plumbing and venting works? It doesn't seem super intuitive from what little I've gotten to mess with in game with it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's all about intakes and outtakes. Intakes are white, outtakes are green. Pay attention to those when setting up your infrastructure and read the tooltips/diagrams that are provided on the top right corner when you select a building. The rest is about looking at screenshots of what others have built and studying their designs.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

enraged_camel posted:

Natural gas is kind of not worth it since the fertilizer machine nerf. Requires more infrastructure than coal power and the gain is minimal (and in fact negative when you factor in geyser dormancy), especially since coal is virtually unlimited now once you set up a hatch farm.

I was wondering about this. I found a geyser on my last game and never used it because it's dormancy period was some ridiculous number that would leave my base unpowered for months.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The idea is that you use it to supplement your existing power setup, and it can work well for that depending on the geyser's stats. But I end up ignoring it in most of my games because coal is too easy now.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nektu posted:

I see that a good chunk of your fresh water supply is in a tank with an opening right below one of your main ladders.

Yes, someone WILL pause at the top of the ladder and piddle down into it from 4 levels up.

Stress-vomiting dupes also seem to prefer vomiting down shafts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

The idea is that you use it to supplement your existing power setup, and it can work well for that depending on the geyser's stats. But I end up ignoring it in most of my games because coal is too easy now.

I had never thought about doing this, I've been running for natural gas and using a small hatch farm for coal as backup without thinking about straight coal. Guess I felt the need to use an available resource when I saw it. You never really need to worry about running out of hatch food on any kind of reasonable timeline I imagine?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

No, they eat pretty much anything, including sandstone.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

enraged_camel posted:

It's all about intakes and outtakes. Intakes are white, outtakes are green.
An important fact that I stumbled on: don't worry about the direction of the arrows when connecting a pipe. You can connect a pipe to any of the sides of the intake/outflow icons. The arrows are there solely to help you distinguish an input from an output.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a feasible way to superheat and pressurize steam for the steam turbine without using natural features? I'd like to find a way to get rid of my excess heat that doesn't rely on magically destroying it in the water sieve or finding a particular feature.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Hello Sailor posted:

Is there a feasible way to superheat and pressurize steam for the steam turbine without using natural features? I'd like to find a way to get rid of my excess heat that doesn't rely on magically destroying it in the water sieve or finding a particular feature.

Due to the temperatures required versus the maximum overheat temperature of machines, not really. I think the steam turbine requires 300C and even refined metal machines overheat around 150C... they need to make some 500C to 1000C machine building materials already.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Doesn't steel give you a ridiculous bonus to overheat limit?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The steam turbine doesn't remove heat from my understanding. Just pulls some power out of a really high temperature/pressure imbalance if you can set one up. So even if there was machines/materials you could rig up to make that happen you'd still have the heat to deal with, you'd just get some power out of it. Admittedly that could probably be used to deal with that heat, but I question the efficiency of that. If you dislike looking for anti-entropy thermo nullifiers or using sieves I've seen some places that dump heat into polluted water and then vent the steam into space if you're looking for alternate means of heat disposal.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bird food bathtub posted:

The steam turbine doesn't remove heat from my understanding.

Actually, yes it does. Did a quick test with 500C steam, and it exits at 400C.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Do the devs have an official stance on using wrinkles in the thermodynamics simulation to resolve heat problems through what are essentially magical exploits? Is this something they've formally condoned, have expressed plans to address in the future, or simply haven't commented on yet?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Do the devs have an official stance on using wrinkles in the thermodynamics simulation to resolve heat problems through what are essentially magical exploits? Is this something they've formally condoned, have expressed plans to address in the future, or simply haven't commented on yet?

They indicated it's working as designed, but lots of people (including myself) have complained about it because it's bullshit.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
At least you can use the heat-deletion bugs to cancel out the heat-multiplication bugs. There's probably a way to fit a steam engine in between.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Curious to see what Thursday's update will bring. More gases perhaps? They are in the game but not utilitized.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hoping for nuclear power, with materials that can be mined only in a new biome that requires radiation suits.

(Radioactivity used to be in the game during early builds, but was removed.)

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

enraged_camel posted:

Hoping for nuclear power, with materials that can be mined only in a new biome that requires radiation suits.

(Radioactivity used to be in the game during early builds, but was removed.)

That's what I'm hoping for. A late game high set up cost, but super effective power solution

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Travic posted:

That's what I'm hoping for. A late game high set up cost, but super effective power solution

Actually it probably makes sense to combine it with steam generator, instead of having it generate power directly. So you use it to super-heat water, then use that for the steam generator.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I was hoping that the hypothetical nuclear module would just generate a lot of heat whenever it's immersed in water so you would have to build stuff around it to make use of the steam and condense the steam back into water. Ideally it should require a lot of refined fuel to build but not require refuelling.

If it's just another coal generator that uses a different fuel and makes a different kind of waste it will be boring.

I also keep saying this but I hope the next update includes a big rebalance of heating and cooling, including new options for cooling other than "just plant wheezeworts." Air conditioner tiles that cool one side and heat the other at the cost of electricity would be nice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can the thread weigh in for me? If you've got the habitable biome more or less under control, in what order do you hit the other biomes? (Assuming they're all immediately proximate to the habitable, which never happens.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I usually hit slime first — for mushrooms (and slime to feed the mushrooms when I plant them) and gold.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The slime biome has a lot of nice stuff in it - lots of gold, water, algae, and mushrooms with the slime to feed them - and it isn't really as scary to get into as it seems or as people make it out to be. Build a powered airlock, put deodorizers on both sides of it, and just forbid entry when someone starts to drop below 100% and you're fine.

Caustic biome has lots of iron and coal and even bigger algae deposits but you have to watch out for the heat and gases you'll be letting into your base. Chlorine doesn't World War I your dupes but it will sit above the CO2 and displace oxygen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I usually hit slime first — for mushrooms (and slime to feed the mushrooms when I plant them) and gold.

How do you keep the air where you're excavating from filling up with slimelung and thus infecting your dupes?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

The slime biome has a lot of nice stuff in it - lots of gold, water, algae, and mushrooms with the slime to feed them - and it isn't really as scary to get into as it seems or as people make it out to be. Build a powered airlock, put deodorizers on both sides of it, and just forbid entry when someone starts to drop below 100% and you're fine.

Caustic biome has lots of iron and coal and even bigger algae deposits but you have to watch out for the heat and gases you'll be letting into your base. Chlorine doesn't World War I your dupes but it will sit above the CO2 and displace oxygen.

I like to go caustic above the base first and use gravity to create a chlorine clean room adjacent to the slime biome. Gives me plenty of fuel and algae and an easy way to disinfect everything I bring in from slime. Then I make exosuits and go exploring.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slime is really not that big a deal though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never had to disinfect anything coming out of the slime biome. There's an ore scrubber in the game but I've never seen the point.

It would be cool if there was some really great ore that had like space ebola in it that needed to be disinfected or really bad things happen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you keep the air where you're excavating from filling up with slimelung and thus infecting your dupes?
I don’t bother, mostly.

Edge of my colony is an airlock door. On the slime side of that door I plop a storage container, set it to store slime only, give it a priority of 7, and disable disinfecting it. Dupes put all the slime they dig up into the box, and ... well I just forget about it.

On the extremely rare occasions where immunity drops before I build exosuits, I just block the “out” direction of the door for every dupe with an immunity of less than 100% for about 5-10 cycles.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Slimelung only lives in polluted air, so as long as your dupes aren't living in a sewage treatment plant then what little amount they track back into the main base will die off on it's own. A bigger concern is food poisoning, since your dupes create some every time they use the bathroom or piss all over the mess hall. Make sure there isn't any way for loose liquids to run back into your clean water supply, and try and use 3 water tanks: Polluted / Clean with Germs / Clean without Germs. You can recycle the polluted water into the Germ water with a sieve, and put a manual handpump on the Sterile water tank for use with water coolers & food production.

You can even feed your dupes with the germy water for 10-20 cycles in an emergency, they have pretty robust immune systems.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At some point I'll just completely, 100%, ignore food poisoning. I think the only way I've seen it cause problems was in the beginning when dupes are eating pressed dirt, but even that is taken care of by feeding them fried mush bars. Once you get a proper farming setup where everyone is eating the results of plants growing and there's plumbing that's better than making GBS threads in a hole and hauling it out by hand it just becomes a complete non-factor in my experience.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I ran into a carbon dioxide geyser. Anybody know a good use for it, besides mushroom farming?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a geyser, not a vent? There's an important distinction because the geyser outputs at -55 degrees versus the vent's 500. You could use it for cooling purposes if that's the case.
Otherwise it's a dud for less than extreme builds where you cool it down to a solid and store it somewhere.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Test branch out

Rocketry upgrade

Can now build rockets, go on missions to other places and bring back resources and even new critters to the colony

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Sage Grimm posted:

It's a geyser, not a vent? There's an important distinction because the geyser outputs at -55 degrees versus the vent's 500. You could use it for cooling purposes if that's the case.
Otherwise it's a dud for less than extreme builds where you cool it down to a solid and store it somewhere.

Sorry. It's a vent.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A quick read through impressions on the official forums talk about how a gas bottler and emptier in testing? I hope so, I want it easier to make chlorine rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:siren:Water purifier no longer magically deletes heat.:siren:

Awesome. I'm very happy about this.

Also, showers are now useful - dupes require a shower after waking up, and showering gives a morale boost.

Other than that, lots of new buildings and other things. Good stuff.