Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Aethernet posted:

Try New Horizons, which is practically a different game you can have for free.

I've seen it and I do love star trek, I just don't like mods. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Taear posted:

I've seen it and I do love star trek, I just don't like mods. I dunno.

i’m a stickler for detail (or maybe i’m a spoiled baby) when it comes to art, graphics design, writing, etc. ESPECIALLY consistency. and 99% of the time mods come across as pretty off. which is not a knock against creators, you cant compete against a professional studio. bless the people who can overlook it but it bothers the gently caress out of me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't own a game for very long without trying to jam it full of modded poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yandat posted:

i’m a stickler for detail (or maybe i’m a spoiled baby) when it comes to art, graphics design, writing, etc. ESPECIALLY consistency. and 99% of the time mods come across as pretty off. which is not a knock against creators, you cant compete against a professional studio. bless the people who can overlook it but it bothers the gently caress out of me

It's absolutely the same for me. There are a few exceptions - CK2+ for CK2 and VIP for Victoria I used but they felt more like they were just giving me some more stuff to expand what was a very rough framework.
Meanwhile a total game overhaul makes the game feel wrong somehow for me.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i also hate the anxiety that the game crashed, bugged out, or some scripting is hosed because of mods. id rather have all my glitches vanilla

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Literally the only mod I have any lasting memory of using was an extra unit for Tiberium Sun that would crash the whole game when it fired its gun so I'm really not the best person to talk to but you guys are making it sound like mods are actually cool and good in this case when it comes to extending the life of the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buying a game and not modding it is like, if you bought a bed and didn't put any pillows on it because that's not stock.

You bought the game, it's yours, do what you want with it. Fill it full of anime body pillows.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
If the mod is good, it can add more options and expand gameplay. And with total immersion mods, like the new horizon one, it's interesting to see how the game's systems to provide a completely different experience. And withe the New Horizons mod, base Stellaris is already pretty Star Trek as it is.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

OwlFancier posted:

Buying a game and not modding it is like, if you bought a bed and didn't put any pillows on it because that's not stock.

That analogy is kinda flawed. It's more like buying a car and not putting aftermarket parts on it for whatever reason. Maybe you're fine with the current stereo! Maybe you think gigantic spoilers are dumb? Who cares?

quote:

You bought the game, it's yours, do what you want with it.

Exactly! I want to mod the game, so I do. Other people don't want to mod the game, so they don't. How they play their game is not anyone's problem but theirs.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

You bought the game, it's yours, do what you want with it. Fill it full of anime body pillows.

yeah but more often it looks like it’s a child’s bed with 100 obnoxious stuffed animals

irl i sleep on a mattress on the floor with a single pillow and a sheet so your analogy applies a little too well

want that clean gameplay experience

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I tend to avoid mods because once I start I can't stop. I think I've more playtime in ckan than ksp.

And yet there's still no overhaul of the stock science system :sigh:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

Exactly! I want to mod the game, so I do. Other people don't want to mod the game, so they don't. How they play their game is not anyone's problem but theirs.

Yea if anyone wants to mod it then I have no problem there I'm just saying that the console versions not having mods is fine, it's not like they're something that's needed or the game will be rubbish.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

You bought the game, it's yours, do what you want with it.

Publishers hate this one weird trick

(Not Paradox though <3)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Taear posted:

Stellaris tweeted that there's an announcement at "afternoon CET" and it's "not what you think" so I am very curious.

Is this your first ever war? Against...a fallen empire?? That seems bizzare to me.
With fallen empires (xenophobe ones especially) they tend to have planetary shields on their planets so you have to invade them without bombarding it being able to do much until that shield is destroyed.

Yeah, I wasn't really engaging in any wars until I cleared the crisis, then when I realized I was strong enough to fight on even terms with the fallen empire I decided to scale up and try to annihilate them. Like I said, I learned a lot. I should be much better prepared for war in the future.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Jesus, I would double dip on a Switch version without hesitation. It's exactly the kind of game that would benefit from being able to just play whenever rather than be tied to a PC.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

cKnoor posted:

Great, thanks

HOLY poo poo THE YOUTUBE SCENE FOR WOMEN IS AWFUL

i don't mean there's not a lot of them, just the most popular ones appear to be trading on something that isn't their ability to found galactic empires but instead to play various dating simulators and Minecraft, always loving Minecraft.

Anyway, I found the following list:

http://letsplay.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Female_Let%27s_Players

From which I culled the following, based on criteria which are slightly arbitrary but I reckon you have in mind:

Aureylian - Minecraft & general sci fi
MsSpyte - Starcraft II
Allaunira - literally nearly anything, mostly RPGs
gamermd83 - No Man's Sky, other scifi
MsCarnsonelle - RimWorld, other scifi
PushingUpRoses - Retrogames
8 Bites - Indie, aaa
ApolloIsMyCoPilot - RPG, sci fi
ConnieKuroi - Sci fi, RPGs
Fiaura The Tank Girl - actual strategy
GameplayJenny - management games
LadyShelab - management games

After I got to L on that list my brain rather broke down, as there's only so many times a man can wonder whether clicking on a particular name will place him on a watch list. There are a lot of woman making gaming youtubes out there. I'm sure you can do this if you want.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Has this turned into the Aethernet petitions the devs for his pet projects thread? Because it sure seems like it

I really wish people would post about the game and not try to influence the devs on how they think development should work, youtube production should be done, etc. It's sort of a natural offshoot of having devs here but if people could try to find a reasonable cadence for this stuff instead of like "LMAO THEY'RE READING TIME TO AIR OUT MY IDEAS" it would be cool to find a better balance

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I just want the Chris Foss shippack someone pitched.

More ship packs in general really.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Has this turned into the Aethernet petitions the devs for his pet projects thread? Because it sure seems like it

I really wish people would post about the game and not try to influence the devs on how they think development should work, youtube production should be done, etc. It's sort of a natural offshoot of having devs here but if people could try to find a reasonable cadence for this stuff instead of like "LMAO THEY'RE READING TIME TO AIR OUT MY IDEAS" it would be cool to find a better balance

I literally ask for a list dude, and talking about Stellaris content creators is a thing in a Stellaris thing it fits within the thread. Clearly you're supposed to be pissed at me rather than the guy that offered a list.
I'm also not a dev, I work in marketing, so these are things I care about.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ham Sandwiches posted:

wow you're a prick

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Every single one of your posts is super hostile and it's really boring.
It's good that Wiz replies to us in here still even though he's a dev now and it's a really nice experience that we can pitch things to them and have it be listened to.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Ham Sandwiches posted:

gently caress off

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Ham Sandwiches' avatar is literally perfect.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ham Sandwiches posted:

God dang you are a disingenuous little poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rhjamiz posted:

I just want the Chris Foss shippack someone pitched.

More ship packs in general really.

I would settle for the guy who did the Homeworld art.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Quill18’s friend AKiss4Luck does YouTube stuff, and I think I’ve seen her do Total War and Civ before. Dunno if she’s ever messed with a PDS game but she’d have a great tutor handy.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I like Void Burger, but she has a pretty particular focus (horror and horror-adjacent games).

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Aethernet posted:

Aureylian - Minecraft & general sci fi
MsSpyte - Starcraft II
Allaunira - literally nearly anything, mostly RPGs
gamermd83 - No Man's Sky, other scifi
MsCarnsonelle - RimWorld, other scifi
PushingUpRoses - Retrogames
8 Bites - Indie, aaa
ApolloIsMyCoPilot - RPG, sci fi
ConnieKuroi - Sci fi, RPGs
Fiaura The Tank Girl - actual strategy
GameplayJenny - management games
LadyShelab - management games

Thanks for the list, it seems like it's not very up to date though as some of them are not actively making videos, which is a bummer. But you seem to have figured out the same thing as me, in that there are women making good gameplay videos, it's just very hard to find them since there is so much stuff out there.

Dreissi posted:

I like Void Burger, but she has a pretty particular focus (horror and horror-adjacent games).
So do I, but Stellaris isn't horror even if our trailers make it seem like that.

Anno posted:

Quill18’s friend AKiss4Luck does YouTube stuff, and I think I’ve seen her do Total War and Civ before. Dunno if she’s ever messed with a PDS game but she’d have a great tutor handy.

We've done some Cities stuff with her, so I already have her in my contact list.

Thanks for the suggestions, if any of you find someone else that fits the brief, please let me know. :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do many people even stream Stellaris or other grand strategy games? I've watched some people stream Stellaris before and it was always the definition of ResidentSleeper

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Mr Sandwiches, if you have ideas about Stellaris for the Stellaris thread, :justpost: This is a safe space.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

I would settle for the guy who did the Homeworld art.

Rob Cunningham. I assume he's still alive. Give that man a paycheck, Paradox.

Edit: I was gonna say, SA's own FuzzyFreaks does Twitch stuff but I dunno if she posts to Youtube.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You know, for someone who throws a giant tantrum every time you perceive someone commenting on or criticizing your posting habits, you really seem to enjoy these weak attempts at policing other people while providing nothing of substance yourself.

He's interacting with a member of Paradox Interactive on a subject that is relevant to Stellaris' continued marketing. Learn to read or gently caress right the hell off. Preferably the latter, if we're being honest.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anno posted:

My experience watching Quill18 play PDS games suggests that you probably shouldn't be taking any advice from him. Maybe he's gotten better, but he seemed clueless in every EU4 vid of his. Which of course should by no means exclude him from the youtuber clash videos, since it's pretty funny watching them flounder around a bit.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

cKnoor posted:

Thanks for the list, it seems like it's not very up to date though as some of them are not actively making videos, which is a bummer. But you seem to have figured out the same thing as me, in that there are women making good gameplay videos, it's just very hard to find them since there is so much stuff out there.

Yeah, I tried to strike a balance between 'hasn't posted since 2015' and 'vlogs literally every moment of their life' but there's surprisingly few in that middle ground. Best of luck though finding more; a Grand Strategy video series run by women would be literally a wholly new experience.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Nononono go away Ham Sandwiches I wrested the title of "Worst Stellaris Thread Poster" from Shadowglyer fair and square.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

PittTheElder posted:

My experience watching Quill18 play PDS games suggests that you probably shouldn't be taking any advice from him. Maybe he's gotten better, but he seemed clueless in every EU4 vid of his. Which of course should by no means exclude him from the youtuber clash videos, since it's pretty funny watching them flounder around a bit.

Eh I think he’s a perfectly fine player. He just goes way too fast and doesn’t really like rolling around in the nitty gritty detail stuff half the time. I think his style makes his PDS-game series fun since the games are good at supporting kinda whacky play, but I would understand people not liking the style. I yell at him on his RimWorld streams for the same reason.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I think I watched a Aurora 4X series from Quill18 but sadly nothing loving happened in it, which is probably par for the course in Aurora.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

PittTheElder posted:

Go watch Arumba or something. :colbert:

Rhjamiz posted:

Edit: I was gonna say, SA's own FuzzyFreaks does Twitch stuff but I dunno if she posts to Youtube.

Streamers work to, they do not need to have a platform on youtube.

hobbesmaster posted:

Do many people even stream Stellaris or other grand strategy games? I've watched some people stream Stellaris before and it was always the definition of ResidentSleeper

There is a decent amount of them, but it's a longer commitment, so it's less popular with variety streamers, and more of a niche market. HoI4 youtubers are really big on YT for some reason though.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Wait, is Wiz no longer game director?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dirk Pitt posted: