Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Butt Discussin posted:

Yeah, it's quite possible the cable brand was fine and I just stepped on it when it was twisted the wrong way, or something. Hopefully this random replacement works for another year.

I have a brand new cable, that gives me random b lack screen. Brand new, confirmed working brand/length cable.

Cables are just lovely made. I'm on my like 4th set in a year from stepping on em, twisting em up (I do spins n poo poo a lot in beat saber). Its also why I buy a few at a time. Sometimes right out of the bag they are janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Speaking of cables where the gently caress is the wireless kit already.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Arena world qualifiers going on right now, EU first then NA later. Top 2 teams from each tournament get invites to OC5

http://www.twitch.tv/vrchallenger

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

Echo Arena world qualifiers going on right now, EU first then NA later. Top 2 teams from each tournament get invites to OC5

http://www.twitch.tv/vrchallenger

My team won again, hooray

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

SwissCM posted:

Speaking of cables where the gently caress is the wireless kit already.

It'll be out after the higher rez headsets, which they don't support, are released.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The higher res headsets will be using some level of foveated rendering if they are to be worthwhile, bandwidth requirements shouldn't be that different to what is required today as a result. Not to say that the Vive wireless adapter isn't likely to be locked to Vive hardware, but it wouldn't be a technical limitation.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I want is the next Oculus to be compatible with some sort of extension so I can dangle it from my ceiling with no trouble.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^I mean, it is compatible with extensions (though it can be a bit finicky about them). I assume basically every Rift user in this thread uses one?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Grillo posted:

^^I mean, it is compatible with extensions (though it can be a bit finicky about them). I assume basically every Rift user in this thread uses one?

I do, I just remember some agreement about the next gen of VR using the same cable and I'm just a little worried about how well that'll integrate to my Alienware laptop.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The next-gen cable will just be USB-C, if you don't have that you can probably break it out to displayport and USB-3 idk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Virtualink does video and data over USB c and nvidia is going to have some adapter that plugs into a displayport and a USB.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Taintrunner posted:

All I want is the next Oculus to be compatible with some sort of extension so I can dangle it from my ceiling with no trouble.

I use 10 foot extensions for both usb and hdmi with my rift and dangle it from my ceiling with ceiling hooks and retractable badge reels and it works great. I also use extensions for 2 of my 3 sensors and they work fine too.

I didn’t even spend a lot and get active cables, just CableMatters USB extensions and Amazon Basics HDMI. Mine have probably survived the year I’ve been using them by never having been trampled on or tangled on the floor.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

I use the Vive link box as a defacto extension but when I tried non-active USB3/HDMI extenders they always failed.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow. I wasn't really feeling this cheap headset but decided to try Skyrim before I return it. Game is pretty amazing in VR and somehow I didn't get completely sick!

I tried playing standing up with an Xbox controller but kept almost falling over. Sitting down and spinning in my chair is alright. Is that how you are suppose to play it if you don't have Vive/rift controls? Snap movement is ok but can be kind of annoying.

Kind of at least want to get a wmr headset so I can try it with proper controls and movement.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just turn my body (in-game) with the stick. Spinning in a chair is not something I have the cabling for.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
With the WMR drivers you can enable thumbstick turning, so I rarely get into cable tangles.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

GutBomb posted:

I use 10 foot extensions for both usb and hdmi with my rift and dangle it from my ceiling with ceiling hooks and retractable badge reels and it works great. I also use extensions for 2 of my 3 sensors and they work fine too.

I didn’t even spend a lot and get active cables, just CableMatters USB extensions and Amazon Basics HDMI. Mine have probably survived the year I’ve been using them by never having been trampled on or tangled on the floor.

What cables do you use? I am thinking of getting some for my rift.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Protocol7 posted:

With the WMR drivers you can enable thumbstick turning, so I rarely get into cable tangles.

So you use smooth turning over snap? People say smooth causes motion sickness so I haven't tried it yet.

I got some 5 foot extension cables though so turning in my chair isn't too bad.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hamelekim posted:

What cables do you use? I am thinking of getting some for my rift.

What GPU do you have? Some GPUs don't work with certain lengths of cable. I went through a lot of attempts before I found that my old GTX 970 only worked with 6 foot extensions.

This is what I used and it works:
https://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-HDMI-Extension-cable/dp/B00NQB2XO6/

Just be prepared that the longer you go, the greater the chance it won't work. If you have a GTX 1070, you could probably get away with a 9 foot cable with no worries.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What's the USB addon card best approved for use with the Rift Cameras? I have one that was cheap and one of the devices keeps going unrecognized by windows.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harminoff posted:

So you use smooth turning over snap? People say smooth causes motion sickness so I haven't tried it yet.

It's more likely to, yeah, but some people are more predisposed to it than others

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deviant posted:

What's the USB addon card best approved for use with the Rift Cameras? I have one that was cheap and one of the devices keeps going unrecognized by windows.

On a budget
https://amzn.to/2La7uvW

You can get 2 sensors on it, 3 if you're lucky and get some magic one.

https://amzn.to/2weL0EA

Is the higher end solution. Keep in mind the slots are weird.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

https://amzn.to/2weL0EA

Is the higher end solution. Keep in mind the slots are weird.

I had to return this one because the usb slots were vertical instead of horizontal. The back slot on my case wasn't tall enough for them. Edit: And I didn't feel like taking a dremel to my case.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 20, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Harminoff posted:

I don't know if you can do smooth turning. For me, it does snap turning. But I have good VR legs so I don't get any sort of motion sickness anymore (not that I had much to start, I was lucky in that regard).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

I had to return this one because the usb slots were vertical instead of horizontal. The back slot on my case wasn't tall enough to them. Edit: And I didn't feel like taking a dremel to my case.

Yeah it’s why I mentioned the slots. Mine don’t fit right either.

There’s another model with 10gig channels for 100. And the slots are correct.

https://amzn.to/2LaR3Q6

It only has the 2 things I think tho.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 20, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM

Is this one good? It was linked in an Oculus official tech support article.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deviant posted:

If you're buying that brand, Buy the one I linked and not try and save 5 bucks. For real. These cards are already semi flaky with lovely quality control. I say that, Because I "know" the one I linked actually works if you get a decent one (for 2 sensors at least). I cannot promise that one doing anything.

Now with that said, I'm sure it'll be similar/fine.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Nalin posted:

What GPU do you have? Some GPUs don't work with certain lengths of cable. I went through a lot of attempts before I found that my old GTX 970 only worked with 6 foot extensions.

This is what I used and it works:
https://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-HDMI-Extension-cable/dp/B00NQB2XO6/

Just be prepared that the longer you go, the greater the chance it won't work. If you have a GTX 1070, you could probably get away with a 9 foot cable with no worries.

I have a 1080, so 10ft should work fine.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/08/21/htc-vive-cuts-cable-debut-vive-wireless-adapter/

$299 USD + $60 Vive Pro tax.

One month out, Sep. 24th.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Wow the cost of wireless for the Pro is more than a Rift Hmd + Touch + 2 Cameras. Still, if it works well I could see getting one myself. I enjoyed my TPCast, but the hassle and the green line were too annoying.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I find it somewhat interesting/amusing that you have to pay an additional $60 for a compatibility pack if you have a Pro.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

JayKay posted:

I find it somewhat interesting/amusing that you have to pay an additional $60 for a compatibility pack if you have a Pro.

If you can’t spend extra money then you must not be a pro at VR.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Deviant posted:

I own the 7-port version and it's flaky, even using only 1-2 ports. When it works, it works, but in the meantime be prepared to do some restarts, unplug/replug, and digging through your power settings to make sure you didn't miss something.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166038

I use this one. I've got the Rift & front two cameras plugged in via USB 3.0, then I've got an extension cable running to a USB 2.0 hub for 2 back cameras (overkill, I know, but there are a lot of obstructions in my computer room). I've had zero issues with it - I don't use VR very often, but I've never had to plug & unplug or anything to make it work.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
What components make up a standard Rift setup? A friend of mine is giving me a broken rift headset, and if I can fix it I'd like to know what else goes into the setup.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

If you're buying that brand, Buy the one I linked and not try and save 5 bucks. For real. These cards are already semi flaky with lovely quality control. I say that, Because I "know" the one I linked actually works if you get a decent one (for 2 sensors at least). I cannot promise that one doing anything.

Now with that said, I'm sure it'll be similar/fine.

I have the one you linked, it doesn't work for poo poo. Devices crash left right and center on it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

armorer posted:

What components make up a standard Rift setup? A friend of mine is giving me a broken rift headset, and if I can fix it I'd like to know what else goes into the setup.

A minimum operational configuration is the headset and one camera. The full experience requires the controllers and at least one more camera, preferably two more with most room layouts.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

wolrah posted:

A minimum operational configuration is the headset and one camera. The full experience requires the controllers and at least one more camera, preferably two more with most room layouts.

You can get a pair of touch controllers with an included camera for $100 so if you literally only have a headset you can get the bare minimum functionality from just buying that.

One camera sucks rear end though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

armorer posted:

I have an extra camera I can probably sell you. The rig I bought on ebay had 4 and that's kind of overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

A minimum operational configuration is the headset and one camera.

Unless they've fixed it I believe you also need an Xbox One controller to get through setup without Touch controllers; that should only be one-off, though, so OP could just borrow one.